[Armhulen] SuperAggroCrag- Inconsistent application of global forum rules

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

[Armhulen] SuperAggroCrag- Inconsistent application of global forum rules

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #611203

When and where this incident occurred (Game Server, forums, Discord):Off Topic Forums
Byond account and character name OR Discord name: Super Aggro Crag
Admin: Armhulen
ROUND ID HERE IF APPLICABLE: Not applicable
Detailed summary: I stumbled upon a peanut thread in regards to an admin complaint made by Fazbeus in regards to Nalaoc calling him a retard because he, according to him, came off as unnecessarily hostile in an ahelp. Quite a lot of people in the peanut thread took his side, but in return he lashed out stating that he was telling everyone our community was a shithole and slinging accusations of us being cyberbullying psychopaths who have driven teenagers to suicide (?????). I, quite frankly, thought he was being a pisshead so I decided to rile the guy up a bit, as is generally done in peanut threads to those peanut-originators who come in and start causing a ruckus. We went back and forth with some banter, me generally making jokes about Russian stereotypes and him screaming that I was, most assuredly in his eyes, very mad. This continued for about a page until Armhulen decided to ban me and state publically that he banned me for being racist.

I believe that this ban should not have been placed for the following reasons as duplicated from my ban appeal thread.
Spoiler:
I feel as though Rule 12 doesn't apply to this situation for multiple reasons. For one, "Russian", is not a race. It is a nationality. As far as I am aware, national banter is allowed on this forum. If it is NOT the case, then the rule is being very inconsistently applied, as there are multiple users of this forum who meme on and about "le amerilard" and "stinky europoor", etc.

The screencapture below is a statement that was made by armhulen in the very thread a mere few posts below the one in which he announced he banned me.

If such is the case, and it is not racist, why was I banned? Is Russia an exception to the rule because part of it is extended into Asia? If that is the case, why is it not noted in the forum rules? Is it not a matter of me making fun of Russians, but rather the quantity of my posts making fun of them? If so, I would appreciate if it was clearly delineated in the rules on how much I can make fun of someone's homeland before copping a ban to prevent cases like this in the future.
I have reason to believe that this ban was placed with malicious intent due to interactions with Armhulen outside of the community. Some days ago, I believe it was on August 7th, I messaged Armhulen asking him to send me a funny picture. I do this quite often to members of the tgstation community when I am feeling down, as multiple members can attest receiving a similar request from me. I enjoy receiving funny pictures, generally of cute animals, and it makes me feel better. However, on this occasion, Armhulen informed me that he no longer wished for me to send him messages on Discord. He stated that he was far too busy to answer messages unless I had something important to talk about. To be honest, the manner in which he treated me hurt my feelings, as up until that point I considered Armhulen a friend. For the sake of not causing an argument, I apologized to him and respected his wishes, telling him I would remove him from my direct messages list and no longer contact him further. We exchanged final funny pictures, him sending me a funny animal picture and me sending him a "you got gnomed" meme. That was the end of our interaction until the ban was applied. It seems to me that Armhulen was angry at me about something and it may have influenced his decision to apply a punishment to me that has not been consistently applied to other members of the community.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: [Armhulen] SuperAggroCrag- Inconsistent application of global forum rules

Post by Armhulen » #611205

It seems to me that Armhulen was angry at me about something and it may have influenced his decision to apply a punishment to me that has not been consistently applied to other members of the community.
okay so just to be clear you don't even know what grudge I would have against you, it's just the world's biggest hunch
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #611207

Yeah, I don't know why you would hold a grudge against me, but from where I am standing it seems like you do.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #611210

The much more simple and likely reason is that rule 11 is a very hard rule to enforce that requires you to measure the "banteriness" of a post, who it is going to, how well they know the poster and if they'd take it well, and a lot of other basically arcane divinations. What may look like inconsistency is actually me trying to put the thread back on the tracks when we have what is essentially an entire page dedicated to a flame war that flies too close to the sun

What I'm saying is that grudges are more obvious unless I've been hiding sociopathy for the 5-6 years I've been here. And I definitely wouldn't be chatting in your dms (something I most certainly barely do ever since i kind of hate DMs)
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #611212

Armhulen wrote:The much more simple and likely reason is that rule 11 is a very hard rule to enforce that requires you to measure the "banteriness" of a post, who it is going to, how well they know the poster and if they'd take it well, and a lot of other basically arcane divinations. What may look like inconsistency is actually me trying to put the thread back on the tracks when we have what is essentially an entire page dedicated to a flame war that flies too close to the sun

What I'm saying is that grudges are more obvious unless I've been hiding sociopathy for the 5-6 years I've been here. And I definitely wouldn't be chatting in your dms (something I most certainly barely do ever since i kind of hate DMs)
Sorry to be pedantic but it's a rule 12 ban. Rule 11 is no Christmas avatars before the Friday after thanksgiving.

If it is for difficult for the administrative team to determine whether or not a given instance of banter is excessive, I will do my part to assist by reporting every instance of banter I see so that you may grind your EXP levels.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #611213

I am losing my mind with that rule thing, how rule 12 is rule 11 in discord and in game but not here
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #611214

Armhulen wrote:I am losing my mind with that rule thing, how rule 12 is rule 11 in discord and in game but not here
This might be a good time to consider renumbering the rules to improve consistency. I can't make a policy thread as I am softbanned from every board but admin complaints, ban appeals, and the tgmc FNR board though, but if you think that'd be worth pursuing feel free to do it.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #611215

I should probably stop peanut posting my own thread but watch out guys I might
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #611219

Armhulen wrote:I should probably stop peanut posting my own thread but watch out guys I might
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 33&t=29314
lol
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #611221

I think I will not uphold this, because regardless of if the ban was warranted this is totally within the grounds of a global mod. Forum moderation is pretty much played by gut instinct and user reports because it doesn't subscribe to rules-lawyer type shit, and with this case as in many cases, banning for the posts you made is totally allowed (setting aside whether it was a "good" ban or not). Regarding a perceived grudge or bias, I don't believe there is one. I've seen no drama between Crag and Arm, and in fact from a cursory look around it would seem closer to the opposite. I understand it is easy to assume or get the gut feeling that a hidden grudge may be the case when you are facing an administrator who has numerous hidden private channels behind which they could plot and say discrediting things about you, but let me say as someone with access to those channels that a quick search hasn't turned up anything like that (hopefully that doesn't count as a leak, the leak rules are fuckin dumb!).

tl;dr I really don't see any ill will, and a ban in this case is allowed within the conduct of a global mod, so there's not really any reason to uphold a complaint.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #611222

Alright PKPenguin, thank you for your response. Sorry I've been such a hassle for you today.