Erik489
Byond Username: Erik489

Nianjiilical- Hard Restarting a changeling murderbone

Post by Erik489 » #653281

When and where this incident occured (Game Server, forums, Discord): Sybil
Byond account and character name OR Discord name: Erik489 / Dennis Landrow
Admin:Nianjiilical
ROUND ID HERE IF APPLICABLE:191600? I'm unsure as it was hard restarted
Detailed summary: Virology roll, also started as a changeling. I get to work on my ARDS virus which is maxed out and kills within 2 minutes of infection. I wait until the miners bring back minerals to complete my virus and then unleash it upon the crew. A majority of the crew die, I bring two to Virology and absorb their DNA. I do the same for another in the middle of medbay. At which point I go hunting for the captain and he arrives on the tram. A restart vote has succeeded 8-7 but did not follow through because an active admin was online. At which point, the captain becomes infected, then Nian accidentally hard restarts the round instead of sending in an ERT or calling the shuttle.
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Re: Nianjiilical- Hard Restarting a changeling murderbone

Post by nianjiilical » #653285

to clarify, the mistake i made here (and admitted to both in ooc and in discord) was ending the round instantly with no round end screen or end-of-round-grief; i intended to end the round normally regardless, as in make the round end report pop up

at the time this vote was happening i was basically afk making food and listening for adminhelps, i hear the noise of the vote, come back, see that the vote was successful, and given that im in the process of making a snack i decide to just end the round instead of sitting down and making an ert or something. had i actually logged off when i was afk, the vote would have gone through and auto-restarted it anyway

making an ert would probably have been ideal, ill admit, but given that you had successfully depopulated the station save for 3-4 people my instinct would have been to simply accelerate the round end anyway since at some point the round becomes functionally over and making everyone sit around early in the morning waiting for a 7-12 shuttle process when a majority had voted to end didnt seem fair to everyone else

i do apologize if you feel like your antag round was ruined but all things considered i think it was in the best interest of the majority to simply allow their vote to go through, and sometimes the collective experience of the majority has to come before the experience of the minority (especially since as mentioned you'd already antagged everyone to death and gotten to do antag things)
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #653298

Something worth mentioning is that if a Restart vote passes (but if the server does not automatically restart due to an online admin being online), the server will send the following two messages:

Code: Select all

to_chat(world, span_boldannounce("Notice: A restart vote will not restart the server automatically because there are active admins on."))
message_admins("A restart vote has passed, but there are active admins on with +SERVER, so it has been canceled. If you wish, you may restart the server.")
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... ote.dm#L67

The first line (to_chat) sends that out to the world (or just about every connected player), while the second line (message_admins) is only visible to active/online admins. Every single admin with the in-game rank AdminCandidate and up (or any Maintainer rank) has +SERVER.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Erik489

Post by Erik489 » #653303

nianjiilical wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:56 pm to clarify, the mistake i made here (and admitted to both in ooc and in discord) was ending the round instantly with no round end screen or end-of-round-grief; i intended to end the round normally regardless, as in make the round end report pop up

at the time this vote was happening i was basically afk making food and listening for adminhelps, i hear the noise of the vote, come back, see that the vote was successful, and given that im in the process of making a snack i decide to just end the round instead of sitting down and making an ert or something. had i actually logged off when i was afk, the vote would have gone through and auto-restarted it anyway

making an ert would probably have been ideal, ill admit, but given that you had successfully depopulated the station save for 3-4 people my instinct would have been to simply accelerate the round end anyway since at some point the round becomes functionally over and making everyone sit around early in the morning waiting for a 7-12 shuttle process when a majority had voted to end didnt seem fair to everyone else

i do apologize if you feel like your antag round was ruined but all things considered i think it was in the best interest of the majority to simply allow their vote to go through, and sometimes the collective experience of the majority has to come before the experience of the minority (especially since as mentioned you'd already antagged everyone to death and gotten to do antag things)

Your inability to do the standards of your job as an admin should not affect my antag round. You said it yourself, you went AFK to make a snack and came back to see the vote was successful anyway. You couldn't be bothered to click a few buttons out of laziness and instead opted to end the round immediately.
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #653322

Erik489 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:05 am
nianjiilical wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:56 pm to clarify, the mistake i made here (and admitted to both in ooc and in discord) was ending the round instantly with no round end screen or end-of-round-grief; i intended to end the round normally regardless, as in make the round end report pop up

Your inability to do the standards of your job as an admin should not affect my antag round. You said it yourself, you went AFK to make a snack and came back to see the vote was successful anyway. You couldn't be bothered to click a few buttons out of laziness and instead opted to end the round immediately.
given the restart vote was successful, your antag round would have been ended regardless; i simply decided it was in the best interest of the server's playerbase to let it go through

overall i apologize that your round was cut short but given the state of the round i stand by it being the ideal decision for the collective population at the time
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Erik489

Post by Erik489 » #653323

I accept your apology, all I am asking is to be more attentive to the buttons you have at your disposal. In turn, I'll be more considerate of a lowpop round when releasing a death virus.

Either way, I'm happy with this complaint. Thank you for your time.