[Scriptis] Iamgoofball - Suppressing evidence of their own wrongdoing being posted on an appeal

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

[Scriptis] Iamgoofball - Suppressing evidence of their own wrongdoing being posted on an appeal

Post by iamgoofball » #656400

When and where this incident occured (Game Server, forums, Discord): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32753, Forums, Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:33 pm
Byond account and character name OR Discord name: Iamgoofball
Admin: Scriptis
ROUND ID HERE IF APPLICABLE: N/A
Detailed summary:

I posted on the appeal for Toemas in response to Scriptis claiming the device did not lag with a link to my pull request where a fix was deployed(through the merge freeze, mind you) for this exact method of lagging.

This post contained a link to my fix PR, https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/71224, and stated that this was in fact confirmed as an exploit in response to a post by Scriptis.

Unfortunately I did not screenshot my post as I did not expect it to be censored by the admin who it was providing evidence against as usually our administration holds itself to a higher standard than covering up information that makes admins look like they made a mistake. Clearly, that was not the case today.

This is protected under the peanut rules as it directly provides evidence regarding the ticket(proving the issue was a confirmed exploit that was fixed by our maintainers via merging the PR that fixes it)
I then received this deny message.

This message, written in the first person, is clearly by Scriptis in response to my post in their ban appeal proving them wrong, per their repetition of the statement that it was "not causing lag". This is a clear abuse of authority to censor contradicting information against the admin's claims, and should not have been conducted by Scriptis in the first place.

This is a clear violation of Admin Conduct rule 4:
Don't handle an adminhelp that involves you. Admins can't involve themselves as both an admin and player in a matter. This also means adminhelping like any other player would if you want to report an issue. Another admin will be needed to help you.
Scriptis removed my post that was providing evidence against them.

Additionally, note the second sentence where they acknowledge they knew all along that condenser spam created lag to grief. This is blatant admission of fault that they clearly did not think through before handing to me.

I want this admin deadminned immediately for covering up that they approved a known exploit, a known exploit that very same player had abused the previous round, and one that they knew created lag. Their claims that it "didn't make lag" does not work with the claims that this was under investigation by another admin the previous round for causing lag. This person cannot be trusted with the admin tools and cannot be trusted to make judgements against what players should be on this server if they are this duplicitous.
iamgoofball
Github User

Re: [Scriptis] Iamgoofball - Suppressing evidence of their own wrongdoing being posted on an appeal

Post by iamgoofball » #656412

Per discord, this admin also believes that they don't need to do due diligence when players ahelp sketchy "can i do this" requests, by the way:

Scriptis is unqualified for admin. Please get better standards for new recruits or passing trialmin. Having a pulse should not be the only requirement for passing trialmin, because that seems like the only credentials this admin was passed on.
Scriptis
Byond Username: Scriptis

Re: [Scriptis] Iamgoofball - Suppressing evidence of their own wrongdoing being posted on an appeal

Post by Scriptis » #656413

No contest on disapproving the post instead of just editing out your inflammatory rhetoric and sections that were peanut-posty, and I have no issue with linking the issue and PR in the original thread. Unfortunately, the forum tools didn't seem to allow me to recover any of your original post after disapproval.

I don't get notifications when a new issue is opened on GitHub, and this wasn't classified as an exploit until after, well, today. I also don't check the issue tracker every five minutes.

Something that can cause lag isn't inherently an exploit. I can build a conveyor built through the entire central hallway, do some circuit shenanigans, route seventy pill presses into the engine, whatever. Issues like this become an administrative issue in volume. I'm not going to ban Player A for building a disposals death machine with fifty glass shards because Player B put fifty thousand glass shards in yesterday and nearly crashed the server. You can still right-click on a stack of ten thousand toolboxes to crash your client, and I'm still going to get onto people who print that many toolboxes.

In this case, the contraption was isolated and didn't cause any apparent issues. Just because somebody can crash the server doesn't mean they will.
Spoiler:

iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #656752

Scriptis wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:32 am Unfortunately, the forum tools didn't seem to allow me to recover any of your original post after disapproval.
Known issue with PHPBB, it's a problem but IIRC it's not fixable.
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #657078

Scriptis just retired, so the outcome of this is largely irrelevant either way, but for the record and future if they decide to return, we have agreed not to uphold this complaint.

We actually agreed a while ago on this, and just never decided on a full response, whereupon it got lost in the shuffle, for that we apologise.

While it would have been more ideal to allow your post and then either flag it for forum admin attention or delete it such that it could be restored later if necessary, we don't believe that disapproving in good faith a post that meets the criteria for a peanut is evidence of active malice or intent to subvert the administrative conduct standards.

Additionally, admins are fully empowered to allow actions that may become mechanical problems where they believe it interesting or worthwhile - we trust admins to continue to keep an eye on situations they've okayed, and step in if major problems outside of the scope of their granted permission develop. Players are not children, and do not need to be coated in bubble wrap at all times by zealous admins lest they hurt themselves or the server.