SS13 Rebuilt

An old fashioned device, relics of a forgotten era.

"If I ever meet myself, I'll hit myself so hard I won't know what's hit me."
anubisrwml
Byond Username: Anubisrwml

SS13 Rebuilt

Post by anubisrwml » #233259

Hey there everyone!

As promised here's the first of many many updates. Today I've been working on getting the UI set up and getting some base components into place before I work on the map gen and movement controls, as most of the UI ties directly into the character and its experience.

12/8/2016 - The start of the UI
Spoiler:
* Created the initial UI layout and coded in the ability to change the UI.
* Created base chat window, character window (new), backpack window, and build menu (currently empty)
* All windows are movable, and the backpack and chat windows can be resized. The backpack window will auto size to the nearest dimensions that fit the total amount of available slots, setting the way for different sized bags and packs.
* Edited existing sprites and custom made a few to fit the needs of the new UI

Constructive feedback is welcome.
Archived Screenshots
Spoiler:
Rough draft for a simple character creator - a bit more flashy than the original.

No UI yet - but character loads in. Baby steps.
I'll keep updating this thread with the latest development news as the days go by. Once I finish with the basic UI, I plan on moving into character movement as I already have character generation and spawning functional. I've read the gitHub and one of the dreams was to have animated walking sprites. This is something I plan on doing for you all, though I will tackle it after I get most of the game functional. For now, to save time I will keep the same mechanics.

When I move into movement however, traditionally character movement is tile by tile. Let me know if you all think it should remain that way, or if it should be smooth movement, with the option to walk/run changing your characters movement speed, and possibly the addition of stamina. This could add a dimension to combat mechanics not previously available.

Thanks and see you all around!
Last edited by anubisrwml on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: SS13 Rebuilt

Post by Saegrimr » #233261

anubisrwml wrote:And no, this is not open source - sorry people.
So this makes the 7th? 8th? dead recreation project. I've lost count.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233263

Dead recreation? I'll see it through with or without the support of the community. See, I'm self funded and I've the time on my hands. But hey, pessimism is to be expected because I hear ya - I've watched them come and go too.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #233264

>opens a remake of a open source game to a open source community
>requests open source content from open source developers
>"sorry guys its closed source"

>>>/payme/
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #233265

I'll sprite for you so long as you make it open source.

Your main branch will always be better than the open source recreations, you'll always control what goes in and out. Or you can delegate developer staff to do it.

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233268

As I come out with updates to prove myself to the community, can I edit my original post to include the updates so it's at the top of the topic? Not sure on the rules regarding that here or what best practice is, but I certainly don't want updates to get lost within the forums.

Also - FYI, I'm not using the open source for the game. Everything I'm writing is completely original, and not copied in any way. The only thing I'm using are the sprites as I'm not a graphics artist, and frankly I want it to look and feel like SS13. I've also not requested any open source content heh. But hey, again everyone makes the assumption and rightly so considering how the community has been treated in this respect. I can only expect it.

At this time the only reason I'm not open sourcing it is because I may consider a steam release down the road depending on the modifications and additions I add to the game, which could very well make it much more than it currently is. At that point, if I do put it on steam, it'll be for a very small amount ($5 or less), one time, and honestly no one can expect a developer to put in the many hours of work and do it for free. Will you come mow my lawn and wash my car for free? Work is work, even if you love doing it.

On that note however, anyone who does join the team will get a fair even split because as I said I'm not greedy, and what I'd ask of them will be more than what I'd have any right to ask someone on their free time. Again, I'm a developer it's what I do. Not some script kiddy.

If anyone wants to open source it, then they're more than welcome to do the many many hours of coding and put it out there for everyone and get nothing but a pat on the back for it. Unfortunately, I have bills to pay and if this project grows as much as I think it might, I have to still pay them.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #233271

haha nobody will pay you to play this game, not when the free edition already exists.

Get out
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #233272

anubisrwml wrote:I've also not requested any open source content heh.
anubisrwml wrote:The only thing I'm using are the sprites as I'm not a graphics artist, and frankly I want it to look and feel like SS13.
Is there a joke here i'm missing?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233273

Saegrimr wrote:
anubisrwml wrote:I've also not requested any open source content heh.
anubisrwml wrote:The only thing I'm using are the sprites as I'm not a graphics artist, and frankly I want it to look and feel like SS13.
Is there a joke here i'm missing?
Nope - I'm not requesting to use said sprites - I've checked the license and I'm able to use them, and will gladly credit all people who created them. I plan on replacing them eventually.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #233274

This is either poor bait or something to be forgotten within at most six months.

On that note, anyone remember GSS13?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #233275

Saegrimr wrote:
anubisrwml wrote:And no, this is not open source - sorry people.
So this makes the 7th? 8th? dead recreation project. I've lost count.
basically this, it looked kinda promising for 1/100th of a second but yeah, RIP
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233276

oranges wrote:haha nobody will pay you to play this game, not when the free edition already exists.

Get out
Code Maintainer - so I'm assuming you're something of a mod here? That's a wonderful way to encourage the evolution of the game. Sure - if people want to play on the Byond servers with the current content, by all means I'm not insinuating that they wont. I'm just saying if I add a persistent open world, were players can own and build their own stations, where trade can exist between stations, ships created by players can be flown, etc, then I would think that qualifies as a much expanded game, and something that just can't happen here on Byond for many reasons.

Such positive people here - this is exactly why I would want to charge for it. People are so ungrateful for the work that goes into this sort of project, and with as sour as the people have been thus far, I can see why people throw up their hands and quit. It's like telling a 2 year old you're making legos when they really want their wooden blocks and get the hell out of their sandbox.

With the such warm greetings, I'll take my updates elsewhere. It's quite obvious to me that the "community" here doesn't want to even hear about it.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #233277

that's quite correct, please shoo with your dedgaem
Spoiler:
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #233280

anubisrwml wrote:I'm just saying if I add a persistent open world, were players can own and build their own stations, where trade can exist between stations, ships created by players can be flown, etc, then I would think that qualifies as a much expanded game, and something that just can't happen here on Byond for many reasons.
A cool idea but not SS13 in the slightest.

anubisrwml wrote:Such positive people here - this is exactly why I would want to charge for it. People are so ungrateful for the work that goes into this sort of project,
There really is an in-joke i'm missing here. Someone please explain.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #233282

I was surprised at people being so negative
And then I saw it was closed source
HOW THE FUCK DO I RUIN A CLOSED SOURCE CODEBASE
LYNCH!!!!
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #233283

John_Oxford wrote:>opens a remake of a open source game to a open source community
>requests open source content from open source developers
>"sorry guys its closed source"

>>>/payme/
For once, Oxford is right.
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #233285

>implying im not always right

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233288

Food for thought - before I take off.

Most recreations were done with the idea that perhaps some funds could be made off of it. The harsh reality is simple - unless you take a communist approach to it anyways - and that's nothing is free in the world. Development takes time, and if the community wants a improved, expanded version of SS13, then it's going to take time, money, and people willing to do it. Obviously, the community has such stand up people that this has been done already and there's no need for a developer to attempt what many others have failed at. Go look on steam, and ask the developers there to sell their games for free, or better yet, pirate. Why pay for anything right?

I get that the game is open source, and it's on a crappy engine. It's going to take a complete re-write in a whole different language. Yes, some of the source will need to be reviewed if the game is to be accurate to the original. Expecting something wonderful for free is a dream - the reality of development and real life doesn't work that way. This game's code was crap till it got re-written by the open source community, and honestly a wonderful job on that. The community has pushed Byond to it's limits.

I don't need to explain myself so I'm done with the arguments. Many people would gladly pay for their loved games to be re-created. Many games exist on that principal and many started as free games and evolved into higher quality modern versions which people paid for because of the extra work, time, and effort that went into it.

I should open source my lawn and my driveway. I've got some leaves that need to be pulled out of the gutter too. If people want the game to be rebuilt, then stop whining about how every attempt fails and instead accept that it can't be done without many hours of work. Or just let the game sit as it is and fade into history. You know what a paid game allows for? Hired professional graphic artists, sound engineers, programmers, and the hardware to support a large community. That crap isn't free people.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #233290

I ain't reading all that.

Where's goofball? Hey goof tell him how much fun you have doing it for free.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #233291

John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right

all we're saying is that you're not crag son
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #233292

The shed beckons
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #233301

>closed source
That's your issue

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233311

So please explain to me how I can afford to pay the artist(s), sound engineer, and other support I may need, and how I can put the time in needed to see the project done without receiving some sort of return? Donations is one way sure, but very unreliable and then the success of the game rides on that - not enough donations, game goes under.

If -anyone- can share with me a way to produce this 8 hours a day and still put food on the table and support my family, then by all means I'm more than willing to open source it. If I want to make even a penny off the work I'm doing, open sourcing and giving away what I've worked on for free is counter productive to survival.

Also - if you yourself aren't willing to give up 8 hours of your free time and work a second job to pay your bills, then please don't tell me to do both and then give you all the work I've put into it for free. Think about that logically. "Please do all the work for us, give us a game for free and give us the source so we can modify it without doing all the extra networking and building the back end and functionality - Oh and use your free time to do it, and by the way you'll get nothing for it." If you're willing to do that, I'd be very surprised.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #233315

anubisrwml wrote:So please explain to me how I can afford to pay the artist(s), sound engineer, and other support I may need, and how I can put the time in needed to see the project done without receiving some sort of return?
The same way SS13 has been paying its artists, sound engineers, and other support for all these years.
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233322

Saegrimr wrote: The same way SS13 has been paying its artists, sound engineers, and other support for all these years.
Which is? I'm genuinely curious.
Bolien
Byond Username: Bolien

Post by Bolien » #233323

This sounds like those fancy "unpaid internships" they give to talented and driven college kids.
As in free labor from kids who are too naive to know better.
Profiting off the hard work of unpaid labor is a good meme, you fucking slave driver.
anubisrwml wrote:I plan on expanding on it to a much better 2D game
[quote="anubisrwml"]expanding on it to a much better 2D game[/quote]
[quote="anubisrwml"]a much better 2D game[/quote]

REEEEEEE NORMIE GET THE FUCK OUT
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #233324

anubisrwml wrote:
Saegrimr wrote: The same way SS13 has been paying its artists, sound engineers, and other support for all these years.
Which is? I'm genuinely curious.
It's called open source
Basically you get a rag-tag team of volunteers that work in their free time out of sheer interest for the project

The only cost is your eternal soul
Spoiler:
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233325

I...am just a bit confused.

Ok so if I have this right...unless I do all the work of re-writing the entire game from -scratch- which means no copying/pasting because well the source code isn't at all compatible with Unity - and I do it for free and -give away- the code to everyone else after the labor is done, the community would rather stick with Byond?

Or would the community prefer a game that was rebuilt with a better User Interface, better graphics, and sound effects done professionally and in a manner that stays true to SS13, giving players a lag free and smooth game experience with many more options to go completely nuts with, that *may* end up not being open source and free, but very cheap and affordable?

I'm going to assume that comment Bolien was aimed at me. Again - if I were copying and pasting, or using other peoples work I'd agree with you - but this has to be redone from -scratch- which means all new code, redesign of the UI, and all of the mechanics that go into the game. Maybe a better build system eh? Or do we like the crafting system as is. Gotta tell you those pop up windows are high speed eh? Who'd want an actual tech tree instead of a itemized list for research? That's just plain stupid. Yep - I'm definitely just ripping people off. /sarcasm
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #233327

anubisrwml wrote:I...am just a bit confused.

Ok so if I have this right...unless I do all the work of re-writing the entire game from -scratch- which means no copying/pasting because well the source code isn't at all compatible with Unity - and I do it for free and -give away- the code to everyone else after the labor is done, the community would rather stick with Byond?
Yes

Of course if you open source it right now and people take an interest you won't have to do it by yourself so there's also that
Spoiler:
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233328

PKPenguin321 wrote: It's called open source
Basically you get a rag-tag team of volunteers that work in their free time out of sheer interest for the project

The only cost is your eternal soul
Ah hah! Thank you for making my point. Such teams have tried, and failed. Why? Because of the investment of time needed to make it happen. The SS13 project that attempted to do something more 3D failed due to ... lack of funding. I see a pattern here...

If you want a professionally done product that's supported, you can't get that with a rag-tag team of volunteers that may or may not have time to work on it this week. I know many business owners who would -love- to have people work for them on that principle. Hell, at this rate I may end up losing my soul anyways.
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233329

PKPenguin321 wrote: Yes

Of course if you open source it right now and people take an interest you won't have to do it by yourself so there's also that
Then why hasn't it already happened and why was I greeted with "Oh another failed attempt of many?" If it were that simple, you'd think someone would have done that already...
Bolien

Post by Bolien » #233330

anubisrwml wrote:I'm going to assume that comment Bolien was aimed at me.
Yes, yes it was.
No but really this is all just terrible. Please go newfriend.
anubisrwml wrote:but this has to be redone from -scratch- which means all new code, redesign of the UI, and all of the mechanics that go into the game. Maybe a better build system eh? Or do we like the crafting system as is. Gotta tell you those pop up windows are high speed eh? Who'd want an actual tech tree instead of a itemized list for research? That's just plain stupid. Yep - I'm definitely just ripping people off. /sarcasm
Man so many promises. Sean Murray confirmed.
Spoiler:
Last edited by Bolien on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #233331

anubisrwml wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote: Yes

Then why hasn't it already happened and why was I greeted with "Oh another failed attempt of many?" If it were that simple, you'd think someone would have done that already...
Because it turns out recoding a game that's had ten something years of work with niche features in every corner is really hard
Spoiler:
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #233332

anubisrwml wrote:Ah hah! Thank you for making my point. Such teams have tried, and failed. Why?
Because they were all closed source trying to do it themselves when the entirety of SS13 is a community project.

anubisrwml wrote:I see a pattern here...
Yeah, we all do.
anubisrwml wrote:If you want a professionally done product that's supported, you can't get that with a rag-tag team of volunteers that may or may not have time to work on it this week.
Welcome to SS13 as it is currently? How much of tgstation do you think is paid work? I'm pretty sure oranges here has offered money for specific features but i'm not sure any of that was ever completed.
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233337

Well - to everyone here I'd like to thank you for sharing with me what I can expect from the community - its a shame I really thought for a moment everyone would be thrilled with the idea. I'm still going to finish it, and sadly, it'll be done without the input of those who could help improve it or perhaps add features that have always been asked for. I've played enough SS13 to know I enjoy it, but I would rather have added in more experienced players opinions and input on it's design and re-recreation.

You're right PKPenguin - it's not easy. It's really a huge pain in the ass and will require many many hours of hard work to get it done. Not many solo programmers are up to snuff to get it done, let alone have the time. We all have to work. Perhaps I'm a hypocrite because I support open source, but I've been in game development long enough to know what the actual costs are. If anyone here is willing to pay those costs, then I'm willing to open source. But if I'm going to do this, I want to do it right, and if that means I hire professionals to do graphics and sound, then so be it. I don't do this as a hobby - I'm a full time paid game developer so I know whats what when it comes to this kind of project, and I know how huge of a project it really is.

I already made a pledge that I'd get it done. If someone wants to be a part of it - toss me a private message here on the forums. Ideas and suggestions are always welcomed when they're constructive. I've done my best to be reasonable and polite, and some of the comments here have been down right rude, abrasive, and just really shows the worst in people. Right now I'm just focusing on getting it out of Byond and into a different platform that's lag free, easier to use, and gives the player a better end game experience. See, I want to help the community - though with all the ass that's been presented I wonder why I would ever want to.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #233341

anubisrwml wrote:I already made a pledge that I'd get it done. If someone wants to be a part of it - toss me a private message here on the forums. Ideas and suggestions are always welcomed when they're constructive. I've done my best to be reasonable and polite, and some of the comments here have been down right rude, abrasive, and just really shows the worst in people. Right now I'm just focusing on getting it out of Byond and into a different platform that's lag free, easier to use, and gives the player a better end game experience. See, I want to help the community - though with all the ass that's been presented I wonder why I would ever want to.
Hey man, if you're serious, keep it up.

Sorry if we're a bit toxic, it's just that this has been tried before so many times that it's a bit of a meme at this point.
Spoiler:
Bolien

Post by Bolien » #233342

If you're a professional looking to make money (down the road) why come to a group based around open source volunteers for help and fucking say "No I won't pay you heh."
Like come the fuck on dude get real.

Asking for free hand outs only to assert you're in it for the money is blatant hypocrisy.
Sure some of us could have been more cordial in our disapproval but welcome to tgstation, where shitposting is a way of life.
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233345

Bolien wrote:If you're a professional looking to make money (down the road) why come to a group based around open source volunteers for help and fucking say "No I won't pay you heh."
Like come the fuck on dude get real.

Asking for free hand outs only to assert you're in it for the money is blatant hypocrisy.
Sure some of us could have been more cordial in our disapproval but welcome to tgstation, where shitposting is a way of life.
I'm not asking for free handouts - if someone wants to do sprites, I said earlier I would share profits with em. I'm not greedy. Commensurate to the amount of help given obviously. Those were my exact words. If people have ideas and suggestions, I will gladly hear them and do my best to implement them. But I'm not asking anyone here to do free work. I already made that clear. I'd certainly give free copies to people who did help out with ideas and suggestions, and I'd end up sharing profits with someone if they hung around and really spent time working with me on ideas and such - creative designers are a real thing.

And if I can manage to do this without having to hire help I very well may consider open sourcing it. But if I have to pay someone else to do the work, why would I not want to recover that? I'm not trying to make millions off of people - I'm trying to do this game right. It's needed this - and I'm not naive. That is exactly why I will succeed where others have failed. I'm not coming into this without knowing what I'm getting into.
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233347

Oh and the reason I did come here was to share the idea so the community was aware it's in the works, so that people could share their ideas on what they feel may improve the game, or features they wished it had, etc. I'm trying to give people a chance to have a hand in this re-creation instead of closing the doors on people and saying tough tits - you're stuck with how I make it. Again, professional game developer here - I know you should listen to the community especially if there's one already established.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #233349

The main allures of SS13 are hard to replicate elsewhere. The curse of the remake is essentially you are asking for lightning to strike twice.

Here is a short list of a few of the problems that make a remake very unlikely:

You have to outdo the original
This game still in constant development with dozens (hundreds?) of unpaid devs of varying levels of skill and drive. Taken as a whole across all codebases SS13 is one of the largest open source projects in the world. This is a game where mechanics are added or changed on a daily, sometimes HOURLY, basis. A single dev simply cannot keep up, no matter how good you are.

Netcode
You have to design netcode that supports large groups of players with very little latency. Byond is old, but it's simple. You can have dozens of players waiting for the server to update every fifth of a second before anything happens. Is it possible in modern languages, maybe? But in order to be practical it has to be playable. No one will care if you manage to replicate the game outside of byond if it doesn't run BETTER than it does in byond.

You need a playerbase
People play SS13 because people are already playing SS13. No one wants to play on a server with no one else. Even if you make a product you need to lure people there. More than likely you'd have to give the game away at least initially just to get enough players just to populate a server. Which leads into the next important point...

This game requires constant human moderation to work
SS13 can't work on the honor system. Without moderation people can and will just ruin each other's days constantly. So that means either creating a playerbase devoted enough to volunteer to moderate your game, or playing people to do it.

There's no money in it
This is the big one. If you want to make money you're barking up the wrong tree. This is a niche game dominated by players who probably appreciate the fact that this game is free a lot. Are they going to spend $X0 dollars for a similar, untested experiment? Is there a wider player base for this kind of game out there? Does it have staying power? Can it even BE monetized?

I could just keep going but the point I'm trying to make is it's a snipe hunt. Many people have tried, including people with money, but all have failed. You're welcome to try but unless you find some revolutionary way to cut down these barriers eventually you'll realize what's happening.

That said if you do start to pay people to develop the game let me know :neigh:
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #233350

anubisrwml wrote:Oh and the reason I did come here was to share the idea so the community was aware it's in the works, so that people could share their ideas on what they feel may improve the game, or features they wished it had, etc. I'm trying to give people a chance to have a hand in this re-creation instead of closing the doors on people and saying tough tits - you're stuck with how I make it. Again, professional game developer here - I know you should listen to the community especially if there's one already established.
If you remove lizards I'll donate to your patreon or whatever bullshit you're using
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #233354

anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233358

Thanks for the constructive post - really. See that I can bite my teeth into, and you make some very valid points.

You have to outdo the original
You're absolutely right - and this is tough with all of the changes. However, not all changes being made are popular or even constructive. Not all additions even work, or create issues that may break the game in other places. It's why having too many in a codebase can be destructive, even if it's useful. I'm not disagreeing with the development however, and I make no claim that it'll have -everything- that the current version will have when I'm done, but I will do my absolute best to include every single feature that exists at the time I finish the code and release the game. I do want to do an Alpha with helpful players who will give solid feedback so I can better improve on it.

Netcode
This is easier than you might think. I recently finished developing the network code for an MMO still in the pre-alpha, but the results are very positive. Unity's networking isn't revolved around massive multiplayer, but works very well with lounge based games where there's a max population. With up to 32 players (is it higher?) I can easily get the code optimized to work efficiently, far better than Byonds. That being said, if I couldn't I wouldn't have even thought of starting this project. Networking is a deep rabbit hole but I'm not unfamiliar with it.

You need a playerbase
This. This is why I reached out to the community - I want to start bringing awareness and get all the flaming out of the way now. I can't make the players play the game, or even pay for it if it goes onto steam, but what I will say is the exposure on Steam will bring in a slew of new players on it's own. However, this game wouldn't exist without the people already here playing and expanding it, so I want to include them as much as possible.

This game requires constant human moderation to work
You mean to say there are trolls? Say it isn't so! But no, really - you're right. If I do a world that's live 24/7 where players can have their own persistent stations, then I will probably go the route of Anarchy Online, in that I will ask for volunteers to run a team of people who will act as moderators across the game - pseudo GM's if you will. However, for the initial release it will be the same as it is now - players will be able to create and host servers on their own computers, and invite friends or list their game, and players will be able to join them, with each game ending after a period of time and resetting. I want to call it "Classic" mode.

There's no money in it
Maybe? Who knows - I'm not doing this for the money. I'm doing this for the love of the game, but I'm also a realist. I know that there can be costs, and if there are I need to be able to cover those costs. In this case - if I do bring people on board I will have to do some sort of contractual agreement to split profits on sales should it be sold based on their contribution to the development so that anyone part of the team get's a cut if/when the game does sell. But I haven't decided if I am going to sell it or not. Just the idea that I might though caused everyone to lose their minds...

Thank you - I will keep these things in the back of my mind while I continue to work on the project. Worst case, I finish the game and open source it and get nothing for it. But I'm willing to do that.
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233360

Interesting links but um...that's that attempt at a 3D game that failed. I'm not attempting to do 3D - I know my limits here. Also - look up why they failed and also, while you're at it check out the source code because I did, and there's very little usable work there. It's a skeleton, if that. And that unity - another 3D attempt.

I will succeed where they failed by simply getting the game out of Byond and into a more stable environment.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #233361

We do this shit for free because we think the game and community is worth our investment and we respect the investment countless others have put in before for the same reasons, you do this shit because you want to make money of an idea other people have built and evolved.

Any closed source remake that costs money deserves to fucking fail. PERIOD

edit: Also don't tell me about ungrateful, I am fucking grateful for every single goddamn contributor who steps foot into our repo. They deserve all the praise and acclaim, not some outsider who thinks he can make a quick buck off their hardwork.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #233362

anubisrwml wrote:With up to 32 players (is it higher?) I can easily get the code optimized to work efficiently, far better than Byonds.
On a competently hosted dedicated server player count has never been much of a limiting factor. The servers around here routinely host rounds with 80 or 90 players without much in the way of problems, and I've seen player counts here and elsewhere pushing 130 at times.

That said too many players can be detrimental, and ~30 players can definitely be "enough" so long as the station used isn't oversized for that.

Good luck either way with your efforts.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #233364

In fact I can't even begin to dissect the horrible irony in your posts.

Every time you say that this game can't be recreated without an investment of money, you literally spit in the face of the 300+ people who have spent 7+ years and hundreds of man hours turning this game into what it is. Every single one of them without caring or giving a shit about money.

I don't know how you fucking even expected to get a good reaction from anyone here, how would you even post that kind of comment without feeling like a complete fuck?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #233365

PKPenguin321 wrote:
anubisrwml wrote:I already made a pledge that I'd get it done. If someone wants to be a part of it - toss me a private message here on the forums. Ideas and suggestions are always welcomed when they're constructive. I've done my best to be reasonable and polite, and some of the comments here have been down right rude, abrasive, and just really shows the worst in people. Right now I'm just focusing on getting it out of Byond and into a different platform that's lag free, easier to use, and gives the player a better end game experience. See, I want to help the community - though with all the ass that's been presented I wonder why I would ever want to.
Hey man, if you're serious, keep it up.

Sorry if we're a bit toxic, it's just that this has been tried before so many times that it's a bit of a meme at this point.
Don't encourage this fucking hypocrisy ever. You shit on everyone who works so hard without looking for a paycheck
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #233366

you are right
Spoiler:
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233368

oranges wrote:We do this shit for free because we think the game and community is worth our investment and we respect the investment countless others have put in before for the same reasons, you do this shit because you want to make money of an idea other people have built and evolved.

Any closed source remake that costs money deserves to fucking fail. PERIOD

edit: Also don't tell me about ungrateful, I am fucking grateful for every single goddamn contributor who steps foot into our repo. They deserve all the praise and acclaim, not some outsider who thinks he can make a quick buck off their hardwork.

You're right - and praise I freely give. I'm not stepping on your toes by making this game, nor on the others. Why? I'm not using that hard work that others have put into it - I have to redo every step that every person has made, follow in their tracks, and attempt to make something that honors the work they've done. By no means am I trying to make a quick buck. Really? But thanks for that bit about deserving to fail. As I said - I'm copying nothing that's been done, and 99% of the code in the repo is useless to me anyways. I have to remake the whole damn thing, so there is nothing "quick" about it. If anything, I'm going to end up doing more work than most of the contributors have done themselves. I have to create a mountain on my own when the mountain I'm attempting to make was made by many many hands. A much larger task wouldn't you say?

If it helps I'd love to give credit to everyone, including yourself, who helped make SS13 into the game it is. People can choose to support it or not - but it's still getting done. I'd like your support, sure, but if you're going to sit here and tell me you hope I fail because I invest money into making a polished version of the game, then tell that to everyone out there and all the players who bitch on a daily basis wishing the game was in a different client and hosted with some reliable networking. I don't need your approval - I'm going to finish this, and it's going to be awesome. I may open source it I don't know yet. I keep all of my options open. But again - I'm not copying any code here - it's all original, and has to be.

Also to add on to your last comment there - I can re-create the game with the current graphics, and no additional sounds or features, and do it for...well free. I don't need to hire anyone for that. But if I want to make a more polished version, upgrade the graphics, add a music score and sound effects, and the such then yeah...I'm sorry but that's not free. I mean no disrespect for the many numbers of people who put time and effort into making this game as it is because honestly, on Byond it's a huge achievement. You mis-interpret what I'm saying. It's possible I could find people who could do the sounds, music, and upgraded sprites but will they do the work for free? Will they share your vision and that of the others, or are they looking at paying their bills? What do you think becomes priority?

And lets expand - what if I further improve on and add features of my own based on the feedback of others - what then? You spit in my face without realizing I'm on the same side - I want whats best for the game too but I'm not going to sit here and fill everyone's head full of false promises and hope that the games going to be this grand remake with all these features and such, and say it'll be free. I don't know.

And riddle me this - why hasn't the sounds and music been upgraded? Surely there's a musician out there that's playing and could have done the music/sounds eh? In all these years it's just not been done? Why is that? Because the reality is everyone wants to get paid. That's the harsh reality. I can't change it - I only work within it's limits.