SS13 Rebuilt

An old fashioned device, relics of a forgotten era.

"If I ever meet myself, I'll hit myself so hard I won't know what's hit me."
anubisrwml
Byond Username: Anubisrwml

Re: SS13 Rebuilt

Post by anubisrwml » #233368

Bottom post of the previous page:

oranges wrote:We do this shit for free because we think the game and community is worth our investment and we respect the investment countless others have put in before for the same reasons, you do this shit because you want to make money of an idea other people have built and evolved.

Any closed source remake that costs money deserves to fucking fail. PERIOD

edit: Also don't tell me about ungrateful, I am fucking grateful for every single goddamn contributor who steps foot into our repo. They deserve all the praise and acclaim, not some outsider who thinks he can make a quick buck off their hardwork.

You're right - and praise I freely give. I'm not stepping on your toes by making this game, nor on the others. Why? I'm not using that hard work that others have put into it - I have to redo every step that every person has made, follow in their tracks, and attempt to make something that honors the work they've done. By no means am I trying to make a quick buck. Really? But thanks for that bit about deserving to fail. As I said - I'm copying nothing that's been done, and 99% of the code in the repo is useless to me anyways. I have to remake the whole damn thing, so there is nothing "quick" about it. If anything, I'm going to end up doing more work than most of the contributors have done themselves. I have to create a mountain on my own when the mountain I'm attempting to make was made by many many hands. A much larger task wouldn't you say?

If it helps I'd love to give credit to everyone, including yourself, who helped make SS13 into the game it is. People can choose to support it or not - but it's still getting done. I'd like your support, sure, but if you're going to sit here and tell me you hope I fail because I invest money into making a polished version of the game, then tell that to everyone out there and all the players who bitch on a daily basis wishing the game was in a different client and hosted with some reliable networking. I don't need your approval - I'm going to finish this, and it's going to be awesome. I may open source it I don't know yet. I keep all of my options open. But again - I'm not copying any code here - it's all original, and has to be.

Also to add on to your last comment there - I can re-create the game with the current graphics, and no additional sounds or features, and do it for...well free. I don't need to hire anyone for that. But if I want to make a more polished version, upgrade the graphics, add a music score and sound effects, and the such then yeah...I'm sorry but that's not free. I mean no disrespect for the many numbers of people who put time and effort into making this game as it is because honestly, on Byond it's a huge achievement. You mis-interpret what I'm saying. It's possible I could find people who could do the sounds, music, and upgraded sprites but will they do the work for free? Will they share your vision and that of the others, or are they looking at paying their bills? What do you think becomes priority?

And lets expand - what if I further improve on and add features of my own based on the feedback of others - what then? You spit in my face without realizing I'm on the same side - I want whats best for the game too but I'm not going to sit here and fill everyone's head full of false promises and hope that the games going to be this grand remake with all these features and such, and say it'll be free. I don't know.

And riddle me this - why hasn't the sounds and music been upgraded? Surely there's a musician out there that's playing and could have done the music/sounds eh? In all these years it's just not been done? Why is that? Because the reality is everyone wants to get paid. That's the harsh reality. I can't change it - I only work within it's limits.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #233369

anubisrwml wrote:And riddle me this - why hasn't the sounds and music been upgraded? Surely there's a musician out there that's playing and could have done the music/sounds eh? In all these years it's just not been done? Why is that? Because the reality is everyone wants to get paid. That's the harsh reality. I can't change it - I only work within it's limits.
the fuck do you have against the sound? it's literally fine
we even have a sound guy already who does it with no intention of getting paid

i take back any kind of support i gave you, oranges was right. you can fuck right off
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #233370

Whatever man, go ahead, finish your remake, just don’t' expect me to give a fuck about you taking stuff we've spent years making and repackaging it and selling it.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #233372

also strictly speaking if you use any resources from SS13, sprites included as you mentioned that in your first post there, and then go on to charge money for it or get any developer or distributor to look in your direction...
All code after commit 333c566b88108de218d882840e61928a9b759d8f on 2014/31/12 at 4:38 PM PST (https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... 8a9b759d8f) is licensed under GNU AGPL v3 (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.html).

All code before commit 333c566b88108de218d882840e61928a9b759d8f on 2014/31/12 at 4:38 PM PST (https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... 8a9b759d8f) is licensed under GNU GPL v3 (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html). (Including tools unless their readme specifies otherwise.)

See LICENSE-AGPLv3.txt and LICENSE-GPLv3.txt for more details.

tgui clientside is licensed as a subproject under the MIT license. Font Awesome font files, used by tgui, are licensed under the SIL Open Font License v1.1 tgui assets are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/).

See tgui/LICENSE.md for the MIT license. See tgui/assets/fonts/SIL-OFL-1.1-LICENSE.md for the SIL Open Font License.

All assets including icons and sound are under a Creative Commons 3.0 BY-SA license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) unless otherwise indicated.
you can expect any distributor to take one look at the fact that you're closing off and reselling GPL content and they won't touch it with a fucking barge pole

edit: in fact all the "oh I'll give you guys credit" sounds like every single fucking "for exposure" asshole ever
Last edited by Screemonster on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #233373

The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233374

Ok man - I'm just going to come out and say it.

I understand where you're coming from. I do. More than you know. I know what it means to sacrifice for a cause.

The absolute best I can do, because I don't work well when I don't know what's going on, is to make the game open source after I release it. Step away from the idea of me trying to sell it for more than a few seconds here and relax.

Assuming I can find the help that can put in the time I need to get it done, I'm willing to do it for free and open source it once it's done. It has to be rebuilt in Unity using C#/Java, and I'm using a developers licensed version of Unity, and so will anyone else who helps. But this assumes several things - either 1) I get donations to help offset the time needed because I'll have to cut back on hours at work and I'm a *paid* developer - it's not a hobby for me it's my profession. or 2) Some kind soul funds the project so people can give up the hours needed to make it happen because again, I can't willing and knowingly ask someone to give 8+ hours of their day every day without some sort of compensation, and less than that and this rebuild is going to take years. You said it yourself - it's a lot of years of development.

I don't want to upset the community, but on that same token I don't want to fuck myself either. It won't do me any good if I put out an awesome rebuild of the game, and find myself homeless the next day. I have a family I have to think about. Supporting them has to come first, and I would expect the same from anyone who helped with the project. Time is money for many people.

Perhaps I'm trying to approach this from a professional standpoint instead of a open source casual standpoint, and perhaps I'm blinded by the industry as it's my profession, but I've seen many game developers get screwed over because they're too giving. Where do we draw the line? One way or another I want to see it done. Too many times has it failed.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #233375

Hi, I'm a programmer and I've got loads of experience with various languages. Hit me up via PMs, I'd like to work on this
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233376

Screemonster wrote:also strictly speaking if you use any resources from SS13, sprites included as you mentioned that in your first post there, and then go on to charge money for it or get any developer or distributor to look in your direction...
All code after commit 333c566b88108de218d882840e61928a9b759d8f on 2014/31/12 at 4:38 PM PST (https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... 8a9b759d8f) is licensed under GNU AGPL v3 (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.html).

All code before commit 333c566b88108de218d882840e61928a9b759d8f on 2014/31/12 at 4:38 PM PST (https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... 8a9b759d8f) is licensed under GNU GPL v3 (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html). (Including tools unless their readme specifies otherwise.)

See LICENSE-AGPLv3.txt and LICENSE-GPLv3.txt for more details.

tgui clientside is licensed as a subproject under the MIT license. Font Awesome font files, used by tgui, are licensed under the SIL Open Font License v1.1 tgui assets are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/).

See tgui/LICENSE.md for the MIT license. See tgui/assets/fonts/SIL-OFL-1.1-LICENSE.md for the SIL Open Font License.

All assets including icons and sound are under a Creative Commons 3.0 BY-SA license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) unless otherwise indicated.
you can expect any distributor to take one look at the fact that you're closing off and reselling GPL content and they won't touch it with a fucking barge pole

edit: in fact all the "oh I'll give you guys credit" sounds like every single fucking "for exposure" asshole ever

Oh I was waiting for this one! Let's have some fun and break that down ok?

1 - I'm not using ANY of the code because, strictly speaking, I cant. It's all my code, completely original, and in no way violates either of the GPL agreements. That would apply if I was copying the code and using it for my own purposes, which I am not because I cant.

2 - Let's look at this - All assets including icons and sound are under a Creative Commons 3.0 BY-SA license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) unless otherwise indicated.

Now lets click that link and look it up eh?

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
for any purpose, even commercially.
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

So long as I give credit, which I am more than willing to do, I violate none of that.

I did my homework.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #233377

LEAVE IT TO GOOFSHILL
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #233381

iamgoofball wrote:Hi, I'm a programmer and I've got loads of experience with various languages. Hit me up via PMs, I'd like to work on this
>a ss13 remake

well whatever happens i wish you the be--
>with goofcode
pubby
Github User
Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Post by pubby » #233390

I entertained the idea of making a SS13 remake too a few months back. I didn't get very far, but I did develop an atmospheric implementation and most of the netcode. I got sick of the project once I started adding Lua scripting, so that's where I stopped.

Looking back, it was naive to think that I could do better than BYOND. The fact is that BYOND is a well-designed piece of software for the most part, and its foolish to assume that one programmer could surpass the work of a huge open-source community that's been working for over a decade.

Anyway, here are some replies:
I get that the game is open source, and it's on a crappy engine. It's going to take a complete re-write in a whole different language.
The only big issue with BYOND is that it uses Internet fucking Explorer. Hopefully the new browser client will fix this.
Such teams have tried, and failed. Why? Because of the investment of time needed to make it happen
https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/ ... do-part-i/
Then why hasn't it already happened and why was I greeted with "Oh another failed attempt of many?" If it were that simple, you'd think someone would have done that already...
Most of the people interested are untalented teenagers still in high school. Or in the case of SS14: untalented people out of high school.
Netcode
This is easier than you might think.
Netcode is hard as balls though. To improve on BYOND's latency the only thing I could come up with was UDP with snapshots like Quake does, and couple that with much needed multithreading and it became a clusterfuck.
(regarding netcode) I can easily get the code optimized to work efficiently, far better than Byonds
???
Please describe your improvements!
I already made a pledge that I'd get it done.
ha ha ha
And no, this is not open source - sorry people.
Rest in piece.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #233392

pubby wrote:I entertained the idea of making a SS13 remake too a few months back. I didn't get very far, but I did develop an atmospheric implementation and most of the netcode. I got sick of the project once I started adding Lua scripting, so that's where I stopped.

Looking back, it was naive to think that I could do better than BYOND. The fact is that BYOND is a well-designed piece of software for the most part, and its foolish to assume that one programmer could surpass the work of a huge open-source community that's been working for over a decade.

Anyway, here are some replies:
I get that the game is open source, and it's on a crappy engine. It's going to take a complete re-write in a whole different language.
The only big issue with BYOND is that it uses Internet fucking Explorer. Hopefully the new browser client will fix this.
Such teams have tried, and failed. Why? Because of the investment of time needed to make it happen
https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/ ... do-part-i/
Then why hasn't it already happened and why was I greeted with "Oh another failed attempt of many?" If it were that simple, you'd think someone would have done that already...
Most of the people interested are untalented teenagers still in high school. Or in the case of SS14: untalented people out of high school.
Netcode
This is easier than you might think.
Netcode is hard as balls though. To improve on BYOND's latency the only thing I could come up with was UDP with snapshots like Quake does, and couple that with much needed multithreading and it became a clusterfuck.
(regarding netcode) I can easily get the code optimized to work efficiently, far better than Byonds
???
Please describe your improvements!
I already made a pledge that I'd get it done.
ha ha ha
And no, this is not open source - sorry people.
Rest in piece.
Hey pubby what is your atmos system based on? Would it be faster than what we use in the current game? I was also brainstorming aboubt other ways to implement atmos.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #233394

In retrospect I dont' know why I got so angry about this. I guess OP's post just rubbed me the wrong way
pubby
Github User
Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Post by pubby » #233398

Hey pubby what is your atmos system based on? Would it be faster than what we use in the current game? I was also brainstorming aboubt other ways to implement atmos.
It was incompressible navier stokes loosely based on this paper except with integer math instead of floats. It's been a few months so I don't remember much else.
Would it be faster than what we use in the current game?
It was fast because it was coded in C++ and the compiler knew how to vectorize the loops. I don't think BYOND script will ever compare.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #233448

anubisrwml wrote:
Bolien wrote:If you're a professional looking to make money (down the road) why come to a group based around open source volunteers for help and fucking say "No I won't pay you heh."
Like come the fuck on dude get real.

Asking for free hand outs only to assert you're in it for the money is blatant hypocrisy.
Sure some of us could have been more cordial in our disapproval but welcome to tgstation, where shitposting is a way of life.
I'm not asking for free handouts - if someone wants to do sprites, I said earlier I would share profits with em. I'm not greedy.
Other people have covered the myriad other issues with your plan and the project itself, but I'd like point out this particular point of shittery.

No professional developer/artist/musician is going to work with a complete stranger on a project with a promise of "sharing the profits". Why? Because they could bust their ass for 24 months putting out excellent work and at the end get N O T H I N G through no fault of their own. And this is assuming they can somehow support themselves for those 24 months where they get paid absolutely nothing.

Theres a reason why companies use the model of "you pay your employees a fixed wage and you pay your investors in a share of the profits", and its not just because of corporate greed or w/e you might think.

Thats not to say this project would work if you gussied up cash, just a commentary on the fact that you see it as reasonable that people would do work for you in exchange for a nebulous promise of a share of the profits.

The reason why /tg/code alone (according to github) has 310~ contributors is because everyone knows they're doing it for free and they enjoy the project, and most are doing it in their free time around a full/part time job (conjecture but I can only assume some of you fuckers get money somewhere).

Also, the idea that you think you can replicate nearly a decade's worth of coding by literal hundred of programmers because "you won't make bad decisions" is both laughable and shows a complete lack of experience with both workload and project management.
oranges wrote: edit: Also don't tell me about ungrateful, I am fucking grateful for every single goddamn contributor who steps foot into our repo. They deserve all the praise and acclaim, not some outsider who thinks he can make a quick buck off their hardwork.
O-Oranges-senpai! :oops:
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
CrunchyCHEEZIT
Byond Username: CrunchyCHEEZIT

Post by CrunchyCHEEZIT » #233461

This might sound a little too sentimental for spacemans, but I feel like trying to squeeze money out of it removes the 'soul' the game has, yknow? I'm only starting to understand programming (basic programming, fuck dreamcode (for now)) and working on large, open-source projects so I can sorta relate to the issue coders in the community have with this guy trying to monetize something that was mostly a project made out of love for the old game.

It was born from a community effort that lasted years and years, and as soon as you try to make money off it, you put a bad taste in everyones mouth.

(also if you make ss13 pay-to-play your gonna have to shaft xenomorphs entirely and probably a bunch of other pop-culture references throughout ss13)
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #233463

so how long until this dies?

a month, tops?

maybe two?

like the other FOURTEEN remakes or so? i've lost count. centration, goon's remake, bay's remake, primulus, ion (inspired?), that one 3d one from a few years back on the first forums, a few attempts in source and so on.

these people all had much larger teams. granted, centration's team was shit, but being closed source and cost money is not gonna do you any favors at all.

people aren't pessimistic about remakes, they're realistic. they have a pretty big collection of data that shows this is pretty friggin' unlikely to go anywhere.
Apparently I was an director or something.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #233466

"any closed source project deserves to fail PERIOD."

Y'all a buncha commies fucking red scum fucks.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #233487

>another ss13 remake

>closed source but you will take contributions from our coders

>final product won't be free

MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #233505

Jokes on you I am still waiting for ss14
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #233506

ColonicAcid wrote:"any closed source project deserves to fail PERIOD."

Y'all a buncha commies fucking red scum fucks.
Excuse me, I'm a SOCIALIST, not a COMMUNIST.
I am also very triggered now.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #233525

Nothing wrong with making a closed source SS13 remake.

But begging people to help you for free while planning to sell the game?

Lol.

No seriously, you sound like a total asshole and everything you say leads me to belief that you have none of the qualities (or resources) it takes to make a quality space station 13 remake.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #233528

Every time some weak baby informs everyone he is going to make a Hebrew Ss13 remake I stick my penis in a cage full of tiny, yet very angry cobras and shake it around until it gets bit. My intention is each time my weiner becomes more and more immunized to their venom and will eventually gain the ability to ejaculate cobra poison whenever I jerk off to degenerate fetish porn, so that, someday, I will be able to blow a sticky venomous load into the eyes into the brilliant moron who decided he was going to succeed where everyone failed and make a shittier version of ss13 with no features and "graphics".

You will fail, and go fuck yourself.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #233532

Crag, you should write a book full of those.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #233547

DemonFiren wrote:Crag, you should write a book full of those.
Print media is dead. Its all about listicles and clickbait ads now.
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233561

I really want to say things that aren't very professional but I'll summarize my thoughts. I don't give two shakes about how people feel about my chances of success. If you think you can do better, by all means do so. As for help - I'm not begging for help. I opened the gates to allowing people to send feedback, ideas, and suggestions. If someone wants to help with graphics - great because that isn't my strong point but I can manage without the help. I'm not taking on any additional programmers right now, especially from this community. For those seriously interested, you can thank everyone else here who's poisoned me to that.

Take away what you want, assume it's going to fail and go join all the kiddies in the sandbox, and when I finish it, and it turns out to be what everyone here says it'll never be, don't be surprised if I give every person who doubted a big middle finger.

You all have a really funny way of supporting a rebuild project. It's almost as if you don't want to see one...heh now I have to finish it just so I can shove it in every persons face that said it couldn't be done.

Update coming this afternoon/evening.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #233563

Hey, I do hope for you to succeed, and if it does get finished I'll be the first to pirate it.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #233568

Saying that you'll give everyone the middle finger when you succeed because they doubted you is making the gigantic assumption that you'll actually succeed.

People have extremely good reason to doubt this and be cynical. Every single attempt before you failed miserably, even the ones that have gotten very far (goon's remake).

Your inability to brush off or ignore the community's toxicity is also not doing you any favors, and it only causes people to further their cynicism towards you and your project when you cannot ignore trolling or critique.

It's not that we don't want a remake to happen, it's that nobody believes anyone (you included) has any chance in hell of actually pulling a remake off after so many failures.
Apparently I was an director or something.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #233570

anubisrwml wrote:I really want to say things that aren't very professional but I'll summarize my thoughts. I don't give two shakes about how people feel about my chances of success. If you think you can do better, by all means do so. As for help - I'm not begging for help. I opened the gates to allowing people to send feedback, ideas, and suggestions. If someone wants to help with graphics - great because that isn't my strong point but I can manage without the help. I'm not taking on any additional programmers right now, especially from this community. For those seriously interested, you can thank everyone else here who's poisoned me to that.

Take away what you want, assume it's going to fail and go join all the kiddies in the sandbox, and when I finish it, and it turns out to be what everyone here says it'll never be, don't be surprised if I give every person who doubted a big middle finger.

You all have a really funny way of supporting a rebuild project. It's almost as if you don't want to see one...heh now I have to finish it just so I can shove it in every persons face that said it couldn't be done.

Update coming this afternoon/evening.
so can I code for you or not? I sent you a PM and I can get you my resume
CrunchyCHEEZIT

Post by CrunchyCHEEZIT » #233571

WJohnston wrote:Saying that you'll give everyone the middle finger when you succeed because they doubted you is making the gigantic assumption that you'll actually succeed.

People have extremely good reason to doubt this and be cynical. Every single attempt before you failed miserably, even the ones that have gotten very far (goon's remake).

Your inability to brush off or ignore the community's toxicity is also not doing you any favors, and it only causes people to further their cynicism towards you and your project when you cannot ignore trolling or critique.

It's not that we don't want a remake to happen, it's that nobody believes anyone (you included) has any chance in hell of actually pulling a remake off after so many failures.
see i mentioned the xenomorphs because if a monetized ss13 remake were to ever show up on steam or something you'd be out of a job
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #233572

a monetized remake would run into copyright issues with xeno's fairly quickly I imagine
CrunchyCHEEZIT

Post by CrunchyCHEEZIT » #233574

new space station 13 expansion two weeks after releasing on steam;

the benomorph invasion
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #233575

CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:the benomorph invasion
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Copybass
Byond Username: Copybass

Post by Copybass » #233578

I'll pitch in two grand if you let me buy antag tokens at 50 cents a pop and sell me a Robbie Rotten costume that is 100% exclusive to me and only me.
CrunchyCHEEZIT

Post by CrunchyCHEEZIT » #233583

Copybass wrote:I'll pitch in two grand if you let me buy antag tokens at 50 cents a pop and sell me a Robbie Rotten costume that is 100% exclusive to me and only me.
"Sorry, you've run out of Station Tickets! You can't play without Station Tickets!"

"Would you like to buy some from the in-game store?"
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #233587

I thought with the new license people can't take sprites/audio from tgstation and make them a closed source or paid product now.

Guys?
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233599

Like I said - I've nothing to prove. Many have failed - I may fail in the end but I'm going to give it my best and in all honesty - encouragement and support from a community goes much farther than toxicity.

And for the last damn time get off the whole monetizing issue because I already said half a dozen times I don't know if I am going to sell it, but with the response of the community - looks awfully ungrateful. If things change down the way then I may change my mind as well. The -only- reason I came here was because - well - who better to ask than players who've been playing the game about whats wrong with it, and what can be done to improve it.

As I said, right now I'm not looking for people who can code. I've been a programmer for near 20 years and I'm more than capable of handling this on my own for the time being. At some point I may look for help, and I'll keep anyone who's asked in mind.

Unless someone has something constructive to share, I'm going to stop feeding the trolls. I'll update the main post with new pictures/screenshots and notes as I go. I can't promise an update every day, but I'll do what I can. When I'm ready to test things out, I'll send out invites to those who actually cheered me on. Haters can sit on the bench.

Yes, I'm a game developer - a real one. It's my career and my passion, and my education is centered around it. I don't need to prove that to anyone.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #233600

This cracker got a fucking degree in game design hoooooo leeeeeeee shiiiiiit

Sorry I doubted you man, good luck.
Copybass
Byond Username: Copybass

Post by Copybass » #233606

anubisrwml wrote: And for the last damn time get off the whole monetizing issue because I already said half a dozen times I don't know if I am going to sell it, but with the response of the community - looks awfully ungrateful. If things change down the way then I may change my mind as well. The -only- reason I came here was because - well - who better to ask than players who've been playing the game about whats wrong with it, and what can be done to improve it.
We have nothing to be grateful for until there's a finished product. Calling us ingrates for memeing about a product we've heard of many times from many developers and never seen more than screenshots and failed kickstarters from is kinda laughable. You show me a finished product with a community I can get into? Shit, you may get my gratitude.

I'm down to offer you suggestions, but my suggestion right now is to actually get something done, get some netcode, and show two spessmen walking around interacting each other in something that isn't just a GIF because a tech demo is much stronger than a few images and the "Hi I'm X making YSim the 13th attempt at SS13 off Byond".

But does this mean that's a no on my Robbie costume
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233609

CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote: (also if you make ss13 pay-to-play your gonna have to shaft xenomorphs entirely and probably a bunch of other pop-culture references throughout ss13)
I'm not worried about that sorta thing - many games have references to other games, easter eggs and such - and some of them quite obvious but I happen to know where to draw the line. If I have to redraw the aliens I can do that. Within reason Ill make whatever changes has to be made.

But again - I may not sell it. There's too many factors right now that are involved. If I can make it without coming out of pocket myself significantly, then the only thing I lose is the hundreds of hours it'll take. Many of the community have donated many hours (perhaps not hundreds except in a few cases) but I don't mind doing it.

I'd honestly be happier knowing I helped the community instead of hurting em. Open source is one way to keep things free, but professionals tend to steer away from open source (both in contributing and making things open source) for the very same reason - they're professionals and many of them value their time and as it's their profession, expect to get paid for it. That's just good sense.

There are exceptions but ask any IT tech you don't know to come over and fix your computer - they're going to charge you.

Being a professional, my time is valuable too. I have my family to think about and my job. Between those two, I have to make sacrifices to put in the time needed for this. And I'll make this point - the community is vast, and as a whole as worked hard, but it's obvious the community doesn't have the skills or talent to export it from Byond into a more powerful environment, or I would think it would have been done already. For all the talk about open source, and keeping things free, all that has served is to keep the community where it is, and in Byond.

Is it really a surprise that someone who will rebuild years of work would expect to get something in return? I'm not writing a new script for food here, I'm writing the whole damn game from scratch. I challenge anyone here to do that, and do it for free, and not at least think about getting something back in return.

Crap, I said I wouldn't feed the trolls...*sigh*

And I'll think on that Robbie costume - if I make that though I'd have to make one for everyone who wanted one BUT...I could always implement mods which could allow players to add content, clothing, etc to the game.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #233612

DrPillzRedux wrote:I thought with the new license people can't take sprites/audio from tgstation and make them a closed source or paid product now.

Guys?
Bruh, how many times does the guy have to tell you, sprites/assets are CC BY SA

it's the code that's AGPL
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #233613

Copybass wrote:I'll pitch in two grand if you let me buy antag tokens at 50 cents a pop and sell me a Robbie Rotten costume that is 100% exclusive to me and only me.
https://www.oranges.net.nz/~oranges/web ... rives.webm
Bolien
Byond Username: Bolien

Post by Bolien » #233616

>Unironically calling people haters.

W E W
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #233645

Ok new update - some UI work done - I posted a new screenshot because at this point I don't have anything playable - it's been one whole day so patience! =D
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #233657

What is it with remake people and being offended by people offering to code for them for free not charging any royalties or license memes?
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #233664

LM@O

Good fucking luck retard
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #233668

You're just not Russian or autistic enough. You need to be both to successfully monetize ss13.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #233718

maybe we'd be more inclined to believe you if you had anything to show that isn't a shitty mock-up filled with sprites you ripped from the codebase
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #233723

it's so fucking weird that he wants to recreate *this* game, too

like you know it would be a zillion times easier if you just make your own

(and you could slap that price tag on with pride)
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #233753

you have to not be creatively bankrupt to do that
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #233754

that feel when years ago byond wasn't any good and replacing it actually would have meant something

now
>nolag
>interface gets better by the week
>graphics sprite based but lolwhocares
>constant updates, new gamemodes, new content, new bugs (some of which are pretty funny)

ss13 is one of the best games ever made and it's 100% free