SS13 Rebuilt

An old fashioned device, relics of a forgotten era.

"If I ever meet myself, I'll hit myself so hard I won't know what's hit me."
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: SS13 Rebuilt

Post by oranges » #233753

Bottom post of the previous page:

you have to not be creatively bankrupt to do that
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #233754

that feel when years ago byond wasn't any good and replacing it actually would have meant something

now
>nolag
>interface gets better by the week
>graphics sprite based but lolwhocares
>constant updates, new gamemodes, new content, new bugs (some of which are pretty funny)

ss13 is one of the best games ever made and it's 100% free
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #233781

imblyings wrote:You're just not Russian or autistic enough. You need to be both to successfully monetize ss13.
I'm pretty sure he's quite autistic indeed.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #233810

I like these kind of PR campaigns intended to generate hype and following, but only manage to enrage the customer base due to bad attitude towards your target.

Also, believing in yourself is important, but, please, don't think of yourself as more capable, or motivated than dozens of coders who work out of sheer love for the game.

And last but not least, you forget about the demand. Is the remake something asked or needed? Nope, check the reception you got, mockery, and the forum folks are, on average, nicer than the random greytider.

Get off your high horse an rethink your project.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #233852

i don't know if this guy is never going to look at the thread again or if he's dumb enough to come back but guy,
you fucked it
anyone who would ever HYPOTHETICALLY ACTUALLY SUCCESSFULLY remake ss13 is:
a) actually a team of talented retards with commitment and work ethic and sense
b) a retard second coming of Christ the Messiah, too stupid to do anything of real importance and instead using his holy power to remake some gay space game

you are clearly not one of those you are just the normal kind of retard
maybe think up an original project
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #234179

1. We already have SS13, on BYOND, open source for the most part (Goon isn't but w/e), and free, and it's in my opinion, the most fun multiplayer game I've played short of minecraft back when modded servers were popular but I'm rambling
2. You want to recreate it on Unity. And possibly sell it
3. Why would people want to jump ship to yours, if it's 1. not open source and 2. possibly pay-to-play?
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #234314

maybe we could break the law and port all the code into a standalone that we have now then place it on a pseudo-byond with better hardware backing and engine.

then make this persistent 1000 player station building planetside level of complexity game.

i'd buy that game.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #234316

see if we can talk Chris Roberts into making Star Citizen 13
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #234523

John_Oxford wrote:maybe we could break the law and port all the code into a standalone that we have now then place it on a pseudo-byond with better hardware backing and engine.

then make this persistent 1000 player station building planetside level of complexity game.

i'd buy that game.
I'd play it if it allowed for like hundreds of people as that'd be fun since I get to 1v500 instead of 1v80. :^)
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #234527

>mehki gets tabled even more times with more people
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #234666

anubisrwml wrote:Oh I was waiting for this one! Let's have some fun and break that down ok?
2 - Let's look at this - All assets including icons and sound are under a Creative Commons 3.0 BY-SA license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) unless otherwise indicated.

Now lets click that link and look it up eh?

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
for any purpose, even commercially.
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

So long as I give credit, which I am more than willing to do, I violate none of that.

I did my homework.
You're over simplifying what the licsense both says and also what you can do with it.
The license it self (which you missquoted from the CODE license) actually only says you can ADAPT commercially, this means you have to change/remix/transform/build upon the orginal material in a SIGNIFICANT way in order to use this commercially. You CANNOT, under the license, directly copy and use the content commercially. Which is exactly what you have done here.
Again as menitoned by oranges, this ALSO only applies to code, and not the sprites which are under a differnent license.

Heck we had trouble with one of our regular users trying to make mugs with sprites on them, selling them to other players for no profit. (Eventually permission was obtain from the spriter IIRC).

You have to realise that ANY attempt to make a closed sourced game from material or even just style or creative ideas, will be met with HEAVY resistance by the playerbase and particularly a lot of coders who believe in a open source as a tool for furthering creation. Christ even Gooncode who run a closed source version of the original code (before the folk) get a lot of stick, and they dont even make money off it...

Also as others have pointed out, this is not a game for the mass market, or I suspect any market. Its far to fiddly and overly complicated for the majority of average players. However this is also what makes the game enjoyable to most of us. We barely make enough money to keep the servers running from a crowd of 200+ players odd players a day, and we're one of the larger servers as well...

I think you'll have a hard time with this project, and honest I have to ask, whats worth it about it all?
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
anubisrwml
Byond Username: Anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #234794

I'm no longer posting updates on my project here and - with the flak given I don't think anyone would really care.

My process at this stage is pretty simple. I'm going to continue to develop the game, and I'll have to hire a sprite artist that can redo all of the sprites before any public alpha/beta release. For the time being I'll still use these sprites for my development if only to get a working game as proof of concept.

I've also decided to move away from the way SS13 is, so as to make the game available to a larger, and most definitely more polite or at least accepting community. To that end, there's going to be some significant changes to how the game plays. I really want to do a classic style similar to SS13 though - I really do enjoy the game.

Couple of key things that I'm doing with my version:
1) Stations can be owend by players, with a galactic map allowing each player to stake a claim on a portion of space. The players can "hire" other players for roles on board, whom will get paid from station funds. These funds are generated by exporting goods, trade, etc.
2) I am implementing an academy where players get a chance to practice the roles and earn certifications which are tagged to their account so captains can see that a player has gone through training in certain fields. This also gives the player a chance to better understand the mechanics for each role.
3) There will be a centcom faction (not the same name) which is the central command for all stations under the law. Those that break the law or become outlaws will have a different hub point which is for the criminals - from here they can sneak aboard stations and attempt to complete objectives to earn funds and prestige, or work to clear their name.
4) Technology will be locked behind research and a large research tree. Science must be conducted to unlock technology, but at the start all necessary technology to run a small station with the bare minimums will be available for all station owners.
5) Experience and Leveling - each job will earn experience based on their roles, as well as a bonus awarded for merits. As each player increases their job level, they'll be able to perform more complex tasks within each job.
6) Players will be able to design, build, and fly their own ships. These ships can have several purposes, be it mining, transport, shipping, or combat. Stations will be able to defend themselves with turrets which can also stop invasion pods, meteors, etc.
7) Support for thousands of players, with no limit to the numbers of players on a station.

And more - that's just off the top of my head. The game will be different for sure, and I think it may appeal to a larger audience. I really wanted to bring my talents to the SS13 community, but it's become apparent that's just not wanted, needed, or encouraged. I wish everyone the best of luck in SS13. However, it's difficult to leave without saying one last thing -

Yes, the community is open source, and yes everyone is working on it BUT, there's pros and cons to open source. If you refuse to admit to the cons, then as a whole the community doesn't understand the difference between an open source project, and a professionally developed project. The difference is apples and cake. Benefits of both, but certainly not the same. Where open source is free, community driven, and often worked on by many people, it's no different than other open source projects such as Emulators, free online games, etc. The quality will never be able to be as high end as a closed source project developed by a studio. Show me an open source game and I can show you 10 more closed source games developed by studios that make it look like it was developed by amateurs. You can easily look at the market and see this for yourself. Now in open source defense - there tends to be far more modifications and content added - take minecrafts mods for example. And that's where studios suffer, because of the lack of creativity that a community would have over a team. This is why a lot of commercial games look amazing, but suffer from the content department and often don't do nearly as well.

I would have liked to merge the two, and it would have been nice to merge the SS13 community with a studio to see what could be created, but this community won't see that done. Perfectly fine. I'm not a studio so the ideas I have set forth are my own, and limited. I'll do my best to make it a great game, but I know it'll never have the content that this community has. Without the ideas and feedback of a community, you're left alone. But with as rude and abrasive as this community has been, I don't see why I would want to. Perhaps Ill generate my own community on this project, and perhaps some of you will try the game out, and find you enjoy it. Keep an eye out if you are interested, and if not, then don't be. It wont hurt my feelings any.

You invite your friends and people you don't know over to paint your house. Yes, the house will get painted, but there will be smears on trim, and it'll be mild chaos. You'll be left with a mess, and there's no promise you wont have multi-color walls because people think pink should go here and green there. But hey, it's a community project and they brought their own paint so it's free. Did I mention it'll get done when it gets done. Maybe. That's open source.

You hire professional painters to come in, and everything is a single color, the color you want, and the edging is perfect. Everything was organized, and the project was done in a timely manner as well. Sure you have to pay for it, but what you're left with is quality. Sure it's not as colorful. That's closed source.

There are pros and cons to each like I said. I can see the benefits of each - can you? Can you honestly tell me that a closed source SS13 revision that's polished up and redone wouldn't be amazing too? Add in mods and it can be infinitely expanded, and if developed by a developer who listens to the community and what they want - sure it wont be the current version but really it would suck that bad in comparison?

In the end it doesn't matter - I've made my decision now thanks to the response here. I wont advertise it further, and I wont post announcements. Oh, and this time around, the failure of this "remake" isn't on the developers shoulders, but on the community.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #234796

anubisrwml wrote:Oh, and this time around, the failure of this "remake" isn't on the developers shoulders, but on the community.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #234797

lmao
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #234802

damn that was quick
not even one week
and here i was being optimistic you'd last maybe a month or two.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #234806

We officially shitposted one to death. Good work guys
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #234808

Move to salt reserves.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #234817

what a fucking moron LOL
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #234821

anubisrwml wrote:Nevermind this is too hard this project is officially dead
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Copybass
Byond Username: Copybass

Post by Copybass » #234825

So is that another no on my Robbie Rotten costume
TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #234860

We did it another remake gone! Hahaha those goy won't ever leave byond now!
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #234863

TheColdTurtle wrote:We did it another remake gone! Hahaha those goyim won't ever leave byond now!
Fixed
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #234867

Goyim.
The plural of goy is goyim.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #234871

well I offered to work on it for free no pay no royalties and he turned me down so
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #234872

It wasn't programmers I needed Goof - sorry. And the project isn't dead. I just have no reason or interest in keeping this community updated. All the people here have done is successfully shown me the maturity of the group, and honestly, I give no crap about how anyone feels. I'm moving forward with my own version of the project as I said. What is this term? Shitpost? In all of my adult years I've never heard that term, but considering the politeness of those here, I'm not surprised either.

To those that call me moron or other such things - I'm merely doing what was requested of me - taking my work somewhere else and ... what was it? Make my own game? Except I have a new goal now - to make a better version of SS13 with all of the additional bells and whistles. If anything this has motivated me. I certainly wont call it SS13, nor will I give any throwbacks to this community after the way it treated me. I will most definitely sell it, and I wont use any code or graphics in the alpha or beta releases. Will I succeed? Who knows, but I'm sure I'll gather my own community from which I can draw ideas and feedback from. I came here as a way of reaching out, and screw me for trying. I had hoped there were adults here, not people pretending to be adults acting like schoolyard bullies and spewing insults like their own crap doesn't stink. In the end, none of this will matter one bit, and you all can call it a failure if you like, but the game development will go on.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #234873

Sorry that the people here were so unwelcoming to you OP personally I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to see the final product!
TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #234875

Ss13 remake is not something you announce before it is done, any mention of a remake is instantly cursed and shot down by the gods.
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #234877

danno wrote:what a fucking moron LOL
Also, I have a very hard time taking anything kids say seriously. And you must be a kid with how you present yourself. Go back to your..what was it...bigdickbitch? And you call me a moron.

I would laugh but I kind of feel sorry for you.
captain sawrge wrote:Sorry that the people here were so unwelcoming to you OP personally I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to see the final product!
I swear I saw alt of sawrge under Danno's name. If you are, see above. If you are not, then thank you for being one of the very few people here who is acting as I had expected, and I apologize if I came across brash or harsh. This community has rubbed off on me I fear. If you want updates pm me and I may even send you an invite to the alpha and a free copy once the game is released. As I said - I'm not greedy - but I don't reward asshats.
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #234880

TheColdTurtle wrote:Ss13 remake is not something you announce before it is done, any mention of a remake is instantly cursed and shot down by the gods.
The only reason I came here was in the blind hope that people would be interested in contributing and being a part of it. The community, I thought, deserved that. To present a finished product after the fact is to exclude the community completely. But you are perhaps right. I've been shown the error of my ways and won't try that again.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #234882

>being a part of it
>being a part of jewery and closed-source memes
"Blind" hope doesn't even fucking begin to describe it.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #234885

Do yourself a favor, follow through and stop checking back here/replying. You are only feeding them, like a ravenous swarm of bloodthirsty shitpost pirhannas
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #234886

DemonFiren wrote:>being a part of it
>being a part of jewery and closed-source memes
"Blind" hope doesn't even fucking begin to describe it.
Its funny - you were against this from the beginning because of the "closed source" bit.
Interestingly enough - many gamers play a lot of games that aren't open source. In fact most of the major games out there, and hell 98% of the games on steam aren't open source. But how much do you want to bet that many players would have really liked to have had a say in their development? How often are players given that chance? Very rarely, if ever.

So when a dev comes around that wants to pick up a project, or make a game based on a game you enjoy and love (I'm assuming you do because you defend it blindly) instead of realizing that this person has the best intentions, you assult them, and attack them - that's smart. Bite the hand that's offered in peace. Attack the person who dares try to port the game to another source.

If you are so hell bent on open source projects then go download Unity, open it up, create a github and open source it and go to town. Why attack someone because they don't do things your way. That's just ... to coin a word used often here ... retarded. But you did, as did many others. No loss on my part.
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #234891

Wyzack wrote:Do yourself a favor, follow through and stop checking back here/replying. You are only feeding them, like a ravenous swarm of bloodthirsty shitpost pirhannas
I consider this more parting stabs. I admit I'm not perfect - and a bit vengeful too. I shouldn't be - should just turn the other cheek but when I feel ganged up on - hey I'll call out the idiots. I know I won't change anything but a part of me feels at least a bit better. If a piranha bites me, why leave them to bite someone else. Toss in a stick of tnt before you go. Might not do a lick of good, but at least you can leave knowing you tried.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #234892

Many of the people on this forum are only here because they love to complain. I'm sorry about your experience on her and it's a real shame it's soured you on the community as a whole.
I know there are lots of people eager to see what will come of the project! I admire that you're willing to take up the endeavor and I hope you'll be the one to finally break the chain of disappointing vaporware SS13 "remakes."
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #234894

>i'm done with you guys seeya later
>comes back to post some more less than a day later
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #234895

do you guys remember dru hill
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #234901

I am not trying to be a dick or anything but I doubt your convictions somewhat when a bunch of anonymous chronic masterbators mocking your concept based on a well established precedent that remakes fail is enough to make you change course entirely and blame it on them.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Fiz Bump
Byond Username: Dennyb

Post by Fiz Bump » #234904

Screw you guys.
I'll make my own SS13, with blackjack. And hookers.
Actually, screw SS13.
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #234907

MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
anubisrwml

Post by anubisrwml » #234931

Wyzack wrote:I am not trying to be a dick or anything but I doubt your convictions somewhat when a bunch of anonymous chronic masterbators mocking your concept based on a well established precedent that remakes fail is enough to make you change course entirely and blame it on them.
Oh my convictions haven't changed. In all honesty, I'm still making the game and even originally, if I were to do an exact external copy of the game but with an overhaul to the UI, I intended to call it "Classic Mode" and make additional modifications to make it an open world massive multiplayer environment with persistent stations. That's always been the plan. But when all I hear is what I have heard, and no one to countermand or otherwise voice things, I can only go by what I do hear. As community pillars, not only should you stand up against this, but take an active role to disabuse them. I get the cynical responses, but that doesn't make it right.

As I said before and throughout - I'm still making the game I'm just not going to post updates here because the trolls are real, and on this forum I can't do a thing about it so it does me no good to post here, feed them more, and keep the cycle going. Instead, I'm going to set up my own dev blog and invite those seriously interested to participate and follow along with the process, free from the tyranny that is the space trash of SS13.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #234932

massive open world with persistent stations inspired by ss13

Hmm, where have I heard that before

http://ionthegame.com/

Rocket is that you?
Cik

Post by Cik » #234934

>from the creator of dayz

>this is apparently an accolade

wasn't he the guy that made a mod that didn't really work followed by a 60$ re-release of the mod on the same engine that solved none of the problems made many of them worse then cashed out 1/3 of the development through after getting bored with actually solving any of the problems inherent in his morass of a game?

?????????????
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #234935

yes also ion is in development hell and has had no news since the teaser trailer in 2015
TheSharmat
Byond Username: Sharmat

Post by TheSharmat » #234938

Good luck OP. Hopefully you complete your project and the community that plays it isn't pure cancer.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #234939

anubisrwml wrote:Its funny - you were against this from the beginning because of the "closed source" bit.
Interestingly enough - many gamers play a lot of games that aren't open source. In fact most of the major games out there, and hell 98% of the games on steam aren't open source. But how much do you want to bet that many players would have really liked to have had a say in their development? How often are players given that chance? Very rarely, if ever.
how many of those games directly recycle other peoples' work and get praised for directly recycling other peoples' work regardless of whether it's technically legal to do so?
And you have the fucking nuts to expect people to be grateful for the opportunity to have their work recycled and packaged up? And come begging for artists to come with the promise of "credit"? You know where I've seen this before?

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #234943

anubisrwml wrote: There are pros and cons to each like I said. I can see the benefits of each - can you? Can you honestly tell me that a closed source SS13 revision that's polished up and redone wouldn't be amazing too? Add in mods and it can be infinitely expanded, and if developed by a developer who listens to the community and what they want - sure it wont be the current version but really it would suck that bad in comparison?

In the end it doesn't matter - I've made my decision now thanks to the response here. I wont advertise it further, and I wont post announcements. Oh, and this time around, the failure of this "remake" isn't on the developers shoulders, but on the community.
"Can you honestly tell me that a closed source SS13 revision that's polished up and redone wouldn't be amazing too? Add in mods and it can be infinitely expanded, and if developed by a developer who listens to the community and what they want - sure it wont be the current version but really it would suck that bad in comparison?"
Yes
"Oh, and this time around, the failure of this "remake" isn't on the developers shoulders, but on the community."
Feel free to fuck right off.

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
:^)
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #234949

anubisrwml wrote:I've also decided to move away from the way SS13 is, so as to make the game available to a larger, and most definitely more polite or at least accepting community.
WE digg NOW

Is this gonna be like how every other game these days gets dumbed down to "appeal to a broader audience" so they can make more sales while alienating what userbase they did have?

Your list of ideas is shit. It's not SS13 it's a 2D top-down minecraft in space clone.

>Thousands of players with no limit to the number of players on a station.
Wyzack wrote:We officially shitposted one to death. Good work guys
Nothing of value here. This isn't even close to the level of that one teaser trailer that got shown pretending to be SS13 related and nothing's been said about that one in a year. And that's a "high budget closed source blah blah my nuts have been vacuumed up into my own anus".
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
karlnp
Byond Username: Karlnp

Post by karlnp » #234961

anubisrwml wrote:That's just ... to coin a word used often here ... retarded. But you did, as did many others. No loss on my part.
if it's oft-used then it's already been coined, dumbbell
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #234962

I don't get it, why are we the assholes, if his main arguments of "Why he is our messiah" are reduced to belittling the efforts of the coders?
He made an example of calling friends to paint the house, and while that was a gross exaggeration already, some of the coders have been at it for years already, it's like calling a pal to paint in your home and then be painting for years, you get good at it by sheer experience.
He mocked the sounds, that was upgraded barely half a year ago.
He mentioned the magic of being closed source, that somehow automatically makes you better than a big project, apparently forgetting projects all those open source projects he can benefit from, working better than other paid versions. (not to mention I can point you fast 10 games of this year than cannot hold a candle to SS13, starting with NMS)

He doesn't even understand the concept of the game, for fucks sake, he intends to make minecraft in space, when even the most boring rounds will end with a good deal of the station in severe disrepair.
Hell, even the advantage of "being able to influence the development!" makes no sense since in here you can... well, even code it yourself.

Go away and never come back, no one asked for you and no one wants you, other than goof, whose feelings you hurt :honk: .
Last edited by capi duffman on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cik

Post by Cik » #234963

he arrived as the golden messiah to save SS13 from itself

then everyone told him to fuck off

he's now in the "desperately try to save face" phase
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #235099

anubisrwml wrote: Its funny - you were against this from the beginning because of the "closed source" bit.
I don't think I was unwelcoming or "mean" in anyway, I just offered a perspective of someone who's been around this game and been a gamer for a very long time. Heck I've even entertained the idea of creating something original too.

The issue is what you are both asking for or saying you are going to do is no mean feat. Games RARELY get created by one single person, and even when they do they tend to be cut down or small games. Now I'm not saying there aren't exceptions to the rules, but thats just it, it have to be an exception. And from gathering what I can you see to be fairly new to game creation (maybe coding to, but that's impossible to judge). My advise would be too look a little more into game theory, maybe collaborate with some other open source projects and understand why saying you want to make such a huge game on your own seems unrealistic.

People aren't opposed to closed games, but we also expect a certain standard and originality when a closed game is made. Saying your doing a remake of a open sourced game just seems a bizarre concept. Again don't get me wrong, there are exceptions, but it does mean the game has to BE exceptional.

TLDR: Im saying start small work your way up, don't dump yourself into a project that will overwhelm you alone and end up failing before its finished like so many other games these days.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box