Planetary Station """""design""""" document

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Planetary Station """""design""""" document

Post by onleavedontatme » #266575

Update with people who said they would help:

-LeoZ coding
-Xhuis coding
-XDTM coding
-Kevinz000 coding
-Iamgoofball coding
-Okand37 mapping
-Tofa01 mapping
-MMMiracles mapping
-Steelpoint mapping
-Ausops(?) spriting
-WJ spriting/mapping
-Lexorion spriting
-Haevacht spriting
-danno set up a trello which I haven't used yet because I'm allergic to organization

Here is my almost realistic idea, in bullet points before the autistic paragraphs

-The crew has crashlanded on a planet

-There is a hostile wilderness, and an ancient alien (the ones who built the gateway) structure that crew have built the station/base around, using parts from their ship (everyone spawns here with the base already more or less constructed). There is a larger, fancier gateway in the center of their base.

-The crew has no means of calling an escape shuttle. They either activate their gateway (by powering it up) or they have to accept defeat and detonate the nuke.

-At the very edges of the map there is the lavaland tendril corruption shit. It will spread inwards towards the base as the game progresses. Tendrils will grow (while spitting out stronger monsters depending on their stage). On the last stage, they will reproduce, seeding new weaker tendrils etc. The tendrils will also now produce some sort of alien weed equivalent around them which has negative lighting, so darkness will literally be closing in on the station.

-If the monsters reach and attack the gateway enough times, it becomes corrupted. Game over.

-Periodically there would be waves of monsters or ash lizards sent that attempt to assault the base itself

-There would be alien structures in the base that required an enormous amount of power to activate, which engineering would have to choose to direct power to to use (slowing down powering on the gate).

-The gate power on sequence would be the finale replacing the shuttle, with a final wave of monsters sent to overrun the base as people escape to centcomm. A cooldown between each person escaping could add some tension and infighting and drag it out a bit.

How this map would impact the different jobs
Spoiler:
Security: Would be tasked with defending the perimeter in addition to beating the clown.

Miners: They've been preparing for this for a while now

Cargo: Probably wouldn't exist.

Engineering: Repairing defenses, building turrets, pushing the engine to the limit to get the gate powered, power on a bluespace cannon to shoot at a tendril, etc. Turn off medbay to direct power to temporarily using the alien turrets around the base when you're getting overrun.

Assistants: Hopefully all die in the wilderness

Medical: There should be plenty of work for them to do in such a hostile environment.

Genetics: Probably gone. Cloning will be handled by the alien DNA vault, which again, requires diverting power to use.

Research: Same deal. Turn the minerals brought back into weapons for the crew. Unlike vanilla SS13, the crew would have something to use it on.
How this would effect game modes:
Spoiler:
Rev: Unchanged.

Nuke: Unchanged for the most part. Escaping on the ops shuttle could be an alternate round end though.

Wizard: Unchanged for the most part. Maybe give the wizard an ability to channel at the gateway to escape back to his den, ending the round just in case he kills too many people.

Cult: Can we just remove cult already

Clock Cult: They also want the gate turned on, but they want to hijack it to bring ratvar instead. More or less the same.

Traitor: This might be the most difficult. Given our current rules and balance it'd be very easy to just kill a bunch of random people and make sure the escape is never completed. They'd obviously screw themselves over doing this, but I don't think many traitor players care about death. Ideally traitors would impact the round through sabotage or shooting people in the back during base defenses rather than just outright killing everyone themselves.
Other map features:
Spoiler:
The crashed ship. The ship wreckage would be out in the wastes, waiting to be scavenged for things to help the crew.

The ruin system.

The Necropolis, or whatever it will be called. The source of all the evil spooky shit. This will either be the far corner of the map, or on the subterranean Z level. Maybe one day destroying the Necropolis boss (concept art soon(TM)) will be an alternate win condition.

Alien pylons that can hold back the growth of the corruption when activated.

*Two Z levels hopefully! Remie is working on being able to see the z level below you, so it'd be very cool if lavaland existed below, and a new biome was outside the station. You could see down into the lava and corruption.

Super stretch goal: Seasons. Much later on if this exists at all I think cycling through one season a week of real time would be fun and keep things fresh. Last week of the month its winter around the base, etc.
Biggest challenges/reasons why this won't work:
Spoiler:
-Scaling will be difficult. The rate of power generation vs gateway consumption, the rate that monsters move towards the station and how many of them do so, etc.

-The amount of work, obviously. This really isn't something I want to do without other people onboard coding and spriting (and most importantly mapping because I hate mapping).

-Change in coding culture. There would obviously have to be way tighter balance if the PVE threats and goals were to make any sense for longer than a week. I think this would be a big sticking point.

-People mad we're not in space anymore

-General resistance to change and loss of some of the sandbox in favour of gameplay that will keep people engaged past waiting for admins to hit the meteor button

-By making jobs important, its going to make low pop pretty miserable and make people extra mad if people screw around and ignore things.

-I can't really articulate why I think admins would probably do something wrong but I can't pass up an opportunity to complain about them anyway.
Reasons why I think this is worth it:
Spoiler:
-People will stop being bored and murdering each other if they have monsters to murder

-Jobs will have goals and purpose

-Antags can tip the scales in existing drama without having to be the entire story themselves.

-Solves the 20 minute shuttle problem.
Shitty map I drew when I assumed this would be lavaland base, but I dont think lavaland as the base z level would make people happy. Could still have an ocean though, oceans are cool. It's obviously a bit different than I described in this thread, but this was drawn a while ago.

http://i.imgur.com/mD5ff5v.png

I'm most interested to hear from maintainers and the host because none of this matters if nobody wants to work on it or have it available to play.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Re: Planetary Station """""design""""" document

Post by Luke Cox » #266581

This is a cool idea, but I don't think people would accept it as the default map. Make it a map that people can vote for, and I'm on board.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #266582

Is this Creeper World?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #266584

>Can we just remove cult

Get out, NOW.

This sounds fun as hell though and I'm in.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #266586

Luke Cox wrote:This is a cool idea, but I don't think people would accept it as the default map. Make it a map that people can vote for, and I'm on board.
There is no point going in this direction if focus is still going to be diverted between two maps
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #266587

How did you go from general server direction discussion to something so different from the base flavor and niceness of the game.
"What direction do we want to go?"
"Lets make it pretty much an entire different game!"
When are we going to get back that future retro flavor without all these random sidebrances of content.
I'm so confused, I've never disagreed with something kor wrote more than ever.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #266588

Coders code what they want anyways, having two different map themes won't change that.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #266590

This isn't a sidebranch or alternate map, this is a replacement for the current game concept
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #266591

But...why?
I get that Lavaland is liked by a few people,but LoL exists.
Last edited by Reece on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #266592

NikNakFlak wrote:How did you go from general server direction discussion to something so different from the base flavor and niceness of the game.
"What direction do we want to go?"
"Lets make it pretty much an entire different game!"
When are we going to get back that future retro flavor without all these random sidebrances of content.
I'm so confused, I've never disagreed with something kor wrote more than ever.
The paradox of "giving ss13 a direction" is that it has directionless built into it. So yes, you'd basically have to make something related but different.

Or we can keep going on our griff roulette, it's been pretty fun for a decade now so changing it might be an over reaction.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #266593

Cool idea, but better as a separate codebase! It would be way easier to do this by itself than shoving a whole other game inside the original TGstation code.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #266594

Reece wrote:But...why?
I get that Lavaland is liked by a few people
I said why in the OP, if you don't want to read it please don't post. Lavaland is also the most popular job in the history of /tg/, and has been for a year straight now.

People are going to want conflict in their videogames, and since trying to figure out rules for player vs player violence is going down a bottomless rabbit hole, we may as well let players inflict violence on NPCs that don't adminhelp.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #266595

That's what I'm saying. We can have multiple SS13 flavors built into the game, so that people who were really fond of the relaxing SS13 experience don't get thrown out to dry by us completely changing the game and voiding what we used to be.

And as I said, the argument that "having more modes just means that everything will be developed less" is dead wrong because the coders always develop what they want, and if they don't like the new mode they just won't code. It's not their job, after all, they can stop at any time.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #266596

We could simply have the corruption spread faster/slower/not at all depending on how relaxing you want it to be. At that point it'd just be SS13 if you stayed in the walls, with bonus exploration and building outside if not.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #266597

I like this idea a lot independently. But it's not Space Station 13, which is what I am here to play.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #266599

It could be decided at roundstart how voracious the environment is lately on a scale of like 1-5, with 1 being virtually nonexistant and 5 being so hellish that the antags'll die too if they don't lend a hand.

But man I'm just saying, people are fond of SPACE station 13. Completely throwing it out, even for this which is a really good idea, is just gonna get this thrown into debate hell.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #266600

What does being in space add to the game? This is still a sci fi themed station with a hostile outside environment, but it gives a greater direction, purpose to the crew, and additional consistent hazards and problems to deal with, which actually gives several largely worthless jobs a greater purpose
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #266603

ShadowDimentio wrote: is just gonna get this thrown into debate hell.
Yeah, which is why I'd rather have this debate now rather than after I waste 500 hours on this.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #266605

The randomization of how scary the environment would be that round sounds like a good way to keep things fresh though.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #266608

I like the space aspect of the game, if you put it on the ground, a very big part of this game and flavor dies.
Reece

Post by Reece » #266614

Kor wrote:
I said why in the OP, if you don't want to read it please don't post. Lavaland is also the most popular job in the history of /tg/, and has been for a year straight now.

People are going to want conflict in their videogames, and since trying to figure out rules for player vs player violence is going down a bottomless rabbit hole, we may as well let players inflict violence on NPCs that don't adminhelp.
No. You made assertions. People don't validhunt because they want to kill monsters,they validhunt because humans are engaging to fight because they can think. TG mobs are about as smart as wet pasta and are as fun to fight, else antags and security and everyone else would already be going to lavaland, or purging space carp.

Lavaland also offers 'phat lewt' as it were, and do you have the player list of those who do mining? Because from what I've seen it's the same 10 people running it every round.

Antags not being the main story in of itself is an odd choice of words. Because the story would be shifted away from a person that can plan ahead, think on their feet and react to changing situations to a story entitled 'What if Lemmings wanted the spessmen dead'. Antags are still going to be the big centre of attention, or we'll just get an influx of friendly antags using their status openly to try and kill monsters as effeciently as possible.

Jobs already have a goal and purpose, the goal is to make the phat lewt, and the purpose is to hand it out. Adding monsters would just mean science is more justified in handing out advanced E guns and Tesla revolvers, or medical has a good need for that optimised cryo mix beyond bombs.

I like the concept of a more focused and goal oriented station, but I think playing Monster Somme is a poor way of doing it. I think the enviroment should play a large part. For example in the case of aquastation Atmos would control ballast tanks that affect the orientation and depth, engineering would need to repair fix corrosion, maintain engine, etc. Greater depth would mean fragile windows would shatter, but in return depth might increase the ore levels in mining areas.

The power consumption of the station would increase as more upgrades are added to machines, and the higher the power the more chance of attracting harmful and non harmful mobs at deeper levels. To avoid just staying in the shallows the station could pollute the water causing radiation in people exposed to water, forcing them deeper. In shallow zones everyone could do a swim past in their O2 mask allowing for greater mobility. But the station can sink away from you leaving you stranded.

Or at supercrush depths even hardsuits cannot save you, and you need genetics with the cold immunity.

I mean those are rough ideas, and I'm not sure how viable they would be. But I do think monster hunter is a bland way to go.

Also
- Kudzu jungle world with hidden temples.
- Tundra world with super chilled lethal air.
- Gas giant station where the layout shifts every so often as the gas currents push department modules are buffeted around.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #266620

I just feel like this is taking the space out of ss13 which tg is one of the main branches where other branches sprout from. Can't this be a side thing with its own includes but not completely take out ss13?
Reece

Post by Reece » #266623

kevinz000 wrote:I just feel like this is taking the space out of ss13 which tg is one of the main branches where other branches sprout from. Can't this be a side thing with its own includes but not completely take out ss13?
How would it work as a side system? It woukd essentially cut the game in half, half the support for the side and main system,half the players. Etc.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #266627

Reece wrote:
kevinz000 wrote:I just feel like this is taking the space out of ss13 which tg is one of the main branches where other branches sprout from. Can't this be a side thing with its own includes but not completely take out ss13?
How would it work as a side system? It woukd essentially cut the game in half, half the support for the side and main system,half the players. Etc.
Define all it's in includes in a file that gets includes when it is defined in the code. Basically make it a compile option that compiles the game into this mode.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #266628

I'm not sure how well received this would be, but even just a couple of lines in I'm interested

I think it'll be a cold day in hell before people accept this, considering how bad the response to even a normal station being added is usually, but it's cool nonetheless
Limey wrote:its too late.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #266630

could put it on the third server.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #266631

Yeah I really like the idea but I just don't want to see classic space station disappear.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #266632

BeeSting12 wrote:could put it on the third server.
this is a good idea, actually

code the stuff on a different branch, run some tests on server 3, see how it plays
Limey wrote:its too late.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #266635

The thing is if we threw out space this turns us into a main branch of a niche server.
How about we do this by including files in a separate list that is included by compile options and force Travis to make all code compile on all PRS so compatibility is always maintained.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #266641

captain sawrge wrote: There is no point going in this direction if focus is still going to be diverted between two map variations
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #266642

it looks like an interesting idea, but I don't want to see the classic space station disappear as others have said. if you put this on the third server I'd play it tbh
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #266643

Good stuff Kor, sounds fantastic. Prolly should be on the third server though.

We still need a space ship thirteen so the captain can reduce power to weapons while maintaining shields in desperate battles.
Last edited by Atticat on Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #266644

captain sawrge wrote:
captain sawrge wrote: There is no point going in this direction if focus is still going to be diverted between two map variations
That's why you ensure compatibility so neither is tossed out and coders work on whatever they wish.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #266645

yes let's put the primary redesign intended to fix the game's stale repetitive and pointlessness flaw onto a server that no one will ever play on.

it has been shown time and again that "toe-dipping" as i like to call it, wherein you very slowly and carefully try out a feature to gauge our autistic community's screeching volume is a HORRIBLE way to go about getting things implemented permanently.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #266648

i thought we hated binary gameplay and restarting the round ASAP?

with this the crews goal will literally always be the same: rush the gateway and escape or... blow up the nuke for some reason?
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #266651

Personally I like the idea, and I think space could still be integrated in the form of a small shuttle that could only host one or two people for scavenging the derelict (or it going to random space locations for deep space exploration.)
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #266652

Kor wrote:

Is this true? I always thought it was Scientist, or maybe AI. Lavaland was very popular at release and is still cool I guess but it's not exactly the defining ultimate trait of the game, and if it was I'd imagine we'd have more people trying to get into it every round (most rounds it's just the miners that go, provided they exist).

As for the concept itself: I like it and could see it work as it's own map, but I don't like the idea of it taking over what we have how (inb4 sawrge). Fighting NPC monsters is frankly boring as shit (megafauna too, either you die instantly or you know all their patterns and just do that 1000 times until they dispense their phat loot) and making not just a map but the entire game based on something that's just boring doesn't seem wise. (Niknak covered this as well).

This isn't even mentioning round length. With what you propose, rounds will have an arbitrary upper limit to how long they can go for until MONSTERS WIN U DED. Not only that, but you're shifting the goal of the crew from "stop the threat to your crew" to "escape," meaning that the entire goal of the crew is to end the round as early as possible. Good crews will have excruciatingly short rounds, leaving no time for conflict to even build up, while bad crews will just lose every time. The odds of the portal powering up just as the brainless boring monsters arrive will be miniscule.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #266653

Kel wrote:i thought we hated binary gameplay and restarting the round ASAP?

with this the crews goal will literally always be the same: rush the gateway and escape or... blow up the nuke for some reason?
The goal of the crew right now is already to escape every round, so its not exactly a step backwards in that regard. Having to work at the problem if you want to be able to escape it eventually rather than just mashing red alert and bailing will be a step forward though. The nuke has to exist so that if the station is basically gone there is a way to end the round short of begging admins. A ten minute timer, but an explosion at the end rather than escaping.

And it'd of course be possible to add other ways to end the round later if any of this exists.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #266654

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Kor wrote:

Is this true? I always thought it was Scientist, or maybe AI. Lavaland was very popular at release and is still cool I guess but it's not exactly the defining ultimate trait of the game, and if it was I'd imagine we'd have more people trying to get into it every round (most rounds it's just the miners that go, provided they exist).

As for the concept itself: I like it and could see it work as it's own map, but I don't like the idea of it taking over what we have how (inb4 sawrge). Fighting NPC monsters is frankly boring as shit (megafauna too, either you die instantly or you know all their patterns and just do that 1000 times until they dispense their phat loot) and making not just a map but the entire game based on something that's just boring doesn't seem wise. (Niknak covered this as well).

This isn't even mentioning round length. With what you propose, rounds will have an arbitrary upper limit to how long they can go for until MONSTERS WIN U DED. Not only that, but you're shifting the goal of the crew from "stop the threat to your crew" to "escape," meaning that the entire goal of the crew is to end the round as early as possible. Good crews will have excruciatingly short rounds, leaving no time for conflict to even build up, while bad crews will just lose every time. The odds of the portal powering up just as the brainless boring monsters arrive will be miniscule.
1) Yes its true, at least according to the stats page

2) Not every monster will be brainless, thats what ghost roles are for

3) There is already an upper round limit for 20 minutes for when the captain or admins get bored, I'd have to severely fuck up the rate of expansion for the monsters/rate at which the gate turns on to end it any faster than we end rounds currently

4) I don't have to time the monster arrival perfectly, they can simply arrive en masse when you start the power up sequence.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #266656

I'd help coding if you need it.
But I just started making AquaStation again.
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH.
Still, if you need me, I'd be glad to help. I'd also write for it if you want because I'm a lore autist.
Last edited by Xhuis on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #266657

I'd help coding if you need it.
You already finished one of the key pieces of this by making the power control thing actually so thank you for that.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #266658

<3
I don't care about design reasons and such because I don't really have a good understanding of them. I just make stuff I think is cool, so just tell me what and I'll do the thing.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #266659

Kor wrote:
Kel wrote:i thought we hated binary gameplay and restarting the round ASAP?

The goal of the crew right now is already to escape every round, so its not exactly a step backwards in that regard. Having to work at the problem if you want to be able to escape it eventually rather than just mashing red alert and bailing will be a step forward though. The nuke has to exist so that if the station is basically gone there is a way to end the round short of begging admins. A ten minute timer, but an explosion at the end rather than escaping.

And it'd of course be possible to add other ways to end the round later if any of this exists.
not exactly
the goal of the crew right now is to live on board ss13 (or at least don't die), we don't call the shuttle at minute 15 for absolutely no reason every round, the antags cause that (or incompetence). while there are varying degrees of how fucked things are and how much a shuttle is actually deserved, it doesn't deviate from the goal you have when you first spawn into the round.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #266664

Going towards this direction is a huge mistake.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #266667

Why do you say?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #266668

Kor wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Kor wrote:

1) Yes its true, at least according to the stats page

2) Not every monster will be brainless, thats what ghost roles are for

3) There is already an upper round limit for 20 minutes for when the captain or admins get bored, I'd have to severely fuck up the rate of expansion for the monsters/rate at which the gate turns on to end it any faster than we end rounds currently

4) I don't have to time the monster arrival perfectly, they can simply arrive en masse when you start the power up sequence.
1) okay fair, but still, just because the job is picked the most doesn't mean (at least in my eyes) that lavaland is what the people are coming to our servers for

2) most of them will be brainless i'd imagine, and if the ones with brains are just given spears or whatever so they're just tribal unga bungas they're not really much of a threat either (especially if the station is given straight up turrets like you propose, which for the monsters are even less fun to fight than NPCs are for the crew)

3) using our short rounds as justification for making that the goal of EVERY round is just an awful gap of judgement. we still have rounds that go up to an hour or more that are entertaining enough to stick around throughout. if you disagree, maybe you just need a break because the game's stopped being as fun for you, but that's kind of aside from my point. i don't think the fact that we have some 20 minute rounds is a good enough reason to make that the crew's goal, you need a better reason to implement this.

4) i guess, but i suspect this will fall into the "overdone and stale" trap if you force it to be what the entire game is based around, too. then you'll just be back to square one of trying to redesign everything to make things fresh again.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #266669

If this is meant to be a total overhaul, the playerbase will never accept it.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #266672

Xhuis wrote:Why do you say?
No more dates with Suki without Chad Lizardcock breaking into genetics and kidnapping her.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #266674

Luke Cox wrote:If this is meant to be a total overhaul, the playerbase will never accept it.
hey oracle I'm NEO
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #266676

Luke Cox wrote:If this is meant to be a total overhaul, the playerbase will never accept it.
I've long since learned to stop presuming what the playerbase will or will not accept.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter