The Map

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Re: The Map

Post by Remie Richards » #271951

Bottom post of the previous page:

the trees are floortiles, because kor sucks.
they should be objects damnit.

Edit: Actually no, they are objects, I *SWEAR* he was trying to do them as turfs...
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #271954

Explains a lot.

Here's a list of changes and things I think we need, or would be nice, before mapping for the planet can really take off.
  • There needs to be a form of Dirt or Jungle Wall, these walls should be destroyable with hatchets or hands, these will help in creating a sort of wall or barrier that can't be walked through
  • Trees need to block movement, so we can have thick forests of tree's to walk through
  • On Dream Maker, the grass, rock, bush and tree objects need some kind of unique icon. If we don't then its going to be impossible to fine tune placement of these objects, since they currently default to a 'grey' tile which turns the entire screen into a impossible to read mess. (See image below).
  • The map should have lowish lighting, separate issue though.
  • There should be some kind of tall grass or reeds, something that blocks the lower half of your tile. This will make moving through certain areas, and rivers, interesting.
  • Fog would be nice.
Here's a image show casing what I mean by Dream Maker being a issue with mapping.

Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #271955

They pick their icon in Initialize(), which is gamecode, Mapping doesn't run gamecode.
The solution, as is usually done in other places, it to default to say. "bush1" and decide your icon (say "bush3") randomly in Initialize() as usual.
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #271957

Either way, I can see two kind of mapping formations to be very common.

Plains
Spoiler:
Forrest
Spoiler:
With things like swamps and similar to make their way once we get more features to use.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #272025

Trees need to block movement, so we can have thick forests of tree's to walk through
On Dream Maker, the grass, rock, bush and tree objects need some kind of unique icon. If we don't then its going to be impossible to fine tune placement of these objects, since they currently default to a 'grey' tile which turns the entire screen into a impossible to read mess. (See image below).
I made a PR fixing these issues
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #272032

Fantastic.
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #272218

Steelpoint wrote: Plains
Spoiler:
At that point you might as well have turfs of grass+dirt rather than putting an object on every tile.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #272270

There shouldn't be wide-open spaces like that at all, ever, that's not what a jungle looks like. A jungle is dense, you can't see very far, and if you step wrong you end up getting eaten by ants.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #272277

jordie is right

I'm also going to put up some mapping guidelines because there is a right way to use these assets and a wrong way. The gist of it is unevenness to break up the tiling effect, and clumps- an appropriate balance of open and non-open clumps of space, to give the feeling of a wild overgrown jungle while not covering every tile with plants or grass.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #272296

So something more like this?

I really think if we want a high quality map that we should go with the 'splunky' method of map generation. A map of the size Kor is asking for, 1000x1000 or 750x750 is a monumental task for even the most dedicated mappers, especially if we want a high quality map with a lot of variations.

Working on a smaller 150x150 or 200x200 map per mapper would be more feasible.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #272298

Damn, seems rocks and certain bushes don't show up in game. This image should from DM show more stuff.

MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #272301

I know my imput is nearly pointless but I think it could stand being a little more dense when it comes to trees.
It should be hard to maneuver and very hard to see.
This is a jungle after all.
One person on this planet wrote:Wow you're funny and original Eous
I don't play often but when I do I'm Kyp Astar normally a sec role unless I'm bored and go assistant.
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #272306

that is a fault of mine, there aren't enough tree variations nor thicc-trunked trees right now plus the tree leaves are really poor and hard to read, so too many of them in one place won't look good. I might make them a different shade of green

and yes steelpoint something like that. If you look at the plant tiles and how the grass/plants are staggered, it's essentially that principle scaled up for mapping. Bits of green balanced by bits of brown. I understand its a bit hard to do without actual grass turfs though as over-using the grass flora is an issue.
Spoiler:
1.png
ruins
2.png
jungle
3.png
swamp
The rule of 3 seems to work, 3 trees placed so they are never horizontally or vertically aligned, 3 large bushes, 3 rocks, then smaller bushes and grasses, for one clump. Until the freeze ends and more turfs can be added, dark and light turfs can be used to create more depth.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #272312

The rule of 3 seems like a good guideline to go with.

Your images also show case how we should be more conservative with grass placement.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #272320

The only thing I'm concerned about is how much variety we have in a certain area. I don't think mapping the planet will be hard, but it'll be monotonous.
Spoiler:
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #272331

some of the clumps are looking pretty good

and yeah, it'll be monotonous. We can break things up further by adding in asteroid rock walls and caves in them maybe?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #272335

imblyings wrote:some of the clumps are looking pretty good

and yeah, it'll be monotonous. We can break things up further by adding in asteroid rock walls and caves in them maybe?
I was imagining we would have dirt or rock walls to act as natural wall formations, to help break up the map. Right now the best you can do is stack trees next to each other but that's very extreme.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #272454

I like to think making natural areas appealing aesthetically is one of my strong points considering the fact that if I make a map in a game I seem to spend half my time doing that anyways, so if we do go for the static map approach (or if you need people to make the "chunks" for the map gen) I'm for sure willing to contribute
Limey wrote:its too late.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #272461

We're gonna do chunks yes
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #272462

What size will the chunks be?
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #272476

Make the world loop on it's self
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #272549

Kor wrote:We're gonna do chunks yes
then yeah when it's time for mappers to start making them just let me know

I don't know how indepth this system will be, obviously it's all concept right now but will there be things like multiple chunk structures?
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #272551

why aren't we just RNGing the world
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #272552

iamgoofball wrote:why aren't we just RNGing the world
that's what's being discussed

unless you're trying to say world generation ala minecraft, which seems much more difficult
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #272554

not really

we have procgen code
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #272691

Truly randomized would be preferable but chunk gen with enough chunks is fine.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #272751

Having trouble testing this because lots of map loading assumes there are going to be certain z levels, but even 750 x 300 x 3 might end up being too large. Keep running into resource errors. This might not be a feasible project after all.

If someone with a better understanding of the map loader could test if the game can support 750 x 300 x3 that'd be appreciated. I am definitely doing something wrong since the game freezes/crashes when I lower it to 750 x 300 x 2. I still think it is probably impossible but a proper test first would be nice.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #272783

On the other hand

255 x 255 Box station

255 x 255 Centcomm

255 x 255 space

255 x 255 space

255 x 255 lavaland

255 x 255 lavaland

255 x 255 lavaland

255 x 255 lavaland

255 x 255 lavaland

255 x 255 lavaland

255 x 255 space

Loads very slowly but runs fine. Probably going to need help from a coder smarter than I am to figure out exactly what is and isn't viable map wise.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #273163

If it's the areas of the maps that's posing a problem, would reducing the map size and increasing the overall vertical space work?

It might mean reworking the notion of massive planet surface with the necropolis in one corner slightly, but...

----C-------space, half of crashed ship is here
--C----S----planet surface, main level. Rest of crashed ship and main station. Tendrils don't spawn here at the start, just wildlife.
N-----------caves - underground, some maintenance tunnels. Couple of tendrils start at this level, mostly in the edges. Maybe some shitty ores. Peak of necropolis.
NN---------Lavaland. Most tendrils, mobs, megafauna, necropolis, etc.

Tendrils, rather than just spawning on the surface and spreading out darkness, would start in lavaland and grow, making long, snaking paths before eventually growing upwards. Left unchecked, you might end up with a tendril bursting out of the ground in the middle of medbay or something, necessitating occasional sweeps through maintenance to make sure one hasn't crept in from the edges or grown up from lavaland.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #274122

thought remie had voodoo shit to cover the map being big
DarkFNC
Byond Username: DarkFNC

Post by DarkFNC » #274196

Your referring to the bastion of autism we'll all be living in as "station". Will it actually be a crashed station? Because engineering would actually have a job to do in the first ten minutes other than release the singularity, and some of the early gameplay we see in rounds on our current maps should be changed to accommodate this.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #308686

So I heard this was solved.

How exactly? Quilt of smaller maps? Maybe going for something a little smaller than what you tried at first?
PathOfChaos1
Byond Username: Pathofchaos1

Post by PathOfChaos1 » #309444

In a lore post(probably a suggested post) a long time ago I remember reading the space wizards destroying a Fleet of Nanotrasen Battleships as a show of power to stop them from attempting to deploy against the wizards en masse. I don't know if you would be willing to include that, or references of such to damage the ship. Unless you plan to just use the syndicate like on the derelict, or just Asteroids. Would be cool if you so choose.