Jobs

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Jobs

Post by InsaneHyena » #269861

Kor complained about design document thread getting too long and confusing, and he's absolutely right. So I've decided to create this thread to discuss matters that I care about the most.
1) Cyborgs, roboticists and AI, they stay or go? It's really strange for a hastily scrapped together base to have a functioning AI connected to every system, but it's a sacred cow that I doubt should be killed.
2) Kor said that RnD is going away, but what about xenobiology? It's a really popular job.
3) Please don't kill the clown. Bay killed the clown, so the clown killed Bay.
Bring back papercult.

onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Re: Jobs

Post by onleavedontatme » #269863

1) Stay. I'm rethinking this even being a crash scenario because "muh continuity" but a space ship crash will still feature heavily in the map either way. Either way it's too unique and popular to be killed.

2) RND and Xenobio are staying. Only Cargo is going because cargo is just an unlimited gun generator at this point.

3) Of course not. The clown survived the crash (if there was one) and they sent him on the mission if there wasn't.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #269867

Killing the clown is security's job, not coderbus's.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #269873

Any new jobs?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #269875

Kor wrote:1) Stay. I'm rethinking this even being a crash scenario because "muh continuity" but a space ship crash will still feature heavily in the map either way. Either way it's too unique and popular to be killed.

2) RND and Xenobio are staying. Only Cargo is going because cargo is just an unlimited gun generator at this point.

3) Of course not. The clown survived the crash (if there was one) and they sent him on the mission if there wasn't.
this was just a ploy to kill off cargo wasnt it
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #269879

Cargo are now salvagers. They get equipment for exploring the planet surface and caverns and getting useful stuff for the station, miners are similar but more focused on mining as usual.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #269880

ShadowDimentio wrote:Cargo are now salvagers. They get equipment for exploring the planet surface and caverns and getting useful stuff for the station, miners are similar but more focused on mining as usual.
Good idea!
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #269882

ShadowDimentio wrote:Cargo are now salvagers. They get equipment for exploring the planet surface and caverns and getting useful stuff for the station, miners are similar but more focused on mining as usual.
What stops miners from doing salvager's (should be called prospector, we New Vegas now) job? It's not like it's vastly in the different places and unrelated.
Bring back papercult.

ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #269885

Nothing much, but we need to have a separation between roles or else the miners will just fuck off to raid ruins all day and never bring any ore in. Hence, two different but similar roles with specialized equipment for each job.

Example: Salvagers get machetes that let them "mine" through foliage on the surface that would otherwise make it very slow to move through and block your vision.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #269972

I feel like there should be a way to get more guns, since currently we can make several advanced prototypes but no base models, which is why i was proposing a factory engineering sub-department which would use resources to make tools and stuff that doesn't register as prototypes. It could replace the autolathe.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #269989

InsaneHyena wrote:
What stops miners from doing salvager's (should be called prospector, we New Vegas now) job? It's not like it's vastly in the different places and unrelated.
I still say you can use a cargo shuttle style system that instead of receiving orders you get random items from a few chosen lists of items after a period of time. it would still give cargo a purpose but prevent them from being infinite gun generators and still keep the "survival" theme. Fluff could have it be sending out automated drones to collect scrap far away from the crash site.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #269996

What about giving supply an alien matter replicator that's jury-rigged up to a console? They can still produce things but it's not efficient and the replicator could be prohibitively power hungry
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #270093

Wait, a system where you build weapons via parts? :clean:
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
factoryman942
Byond Username: Factoryman942

Post by factoryman942 » #270319

let's get oxford on the job :honk:
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #270320

XDTM wrote:I feel like there should be a way to get more guns, since currently we can make several advanced prototypes but no base models, which is why i was proposing a factory engineering sub-department which would use resources to make tools and stuff that doesn't register as prototypes. It could replace the autolathe.

at this point im just giving up

every time someone comes up with a new map everyones like "HEY LETS DO X, Y, AND Z, ITS NOT LIKE OXFORD HAS THESE HUGE CLUSTERS OF THREADS COVERING EVERY DESIGN CONCEPT REVOLVING AROUND THEM, THAT'D BE CRAZY, MY IDEAS ORGINALL!"

im going to start tracking you people down and shooting you
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #270322

also ill slap some shit on the map concept once progress is shown, but scavengers should get lighter gear with more storage space and equipment that lets them transverse the area faster. miners should lose the explorer suits and get a kind of stripped out hardsuit exosuit thing thats not sealed any more but has loads of armor and utility usage.

(say all the explorer suits we're destroyed in the crash, and the only reason the mining hardsuits survived was because of their durability, however they we're damaged and we had to strip out some of the components, removing its space worthy trait and making it slightly heavier by the plas steel we had to add in replacement)
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

factoryman942
Byond Username: Factoryman942

Post by factoryman942 » #270333

factoryman942 wrote:let's get oxford on the job
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #270570

didnt read the thread

Maybe R&D's incredibly dull and stupid """research""" system could be replaced with something more akin to Goon's artifact research or the lavaland anomalous crystals. You start with a couple alien artifacts and can find more outside, and you gotta figure out how they work and they could have different useful effects, like shield generators, batteries, etc.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #270698

Collect-And-Scan gameplay works much better when you have a randomly-generated map, rather than a constant station.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
LifeReign
Byond Username: LifeReign

Post by LifeReign » #271300

Botany on a jungle station seems like it'd need a little attention. Maybe they can be more tooled for terraforming. There might be a need for a job related to animal husbandry, maybe xenobiology works on this instead of slimes?
Bagil- Eats-Shoots-and-Leaves: Probably the botanist
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #271307

captain sawrge wrote:didnt read the thread

Maybe R&D's incredibly dull and stupid """research""" system could be replaced with something more akin to Goon's artifact research or the lavaland anomalous crystals. You start with a couple alien artifacts and can find more outside, and you gotta figure out how they work and they could have different useful effects, like shield generators, batteries, etc.
Little did Swarge know that literally nobody on Goon ever does artifact research because it's lame as hell.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #274334

I thought about a problem surrounding monkeys. Especially since they are somewhat pivotal to the current workings of some jobs as either food or test subjects.

Are monkeys native to the enviroment after the crash (dispersed into the jungle), or are they manufactured entirely via botany monkeycubes (as a generic way to get them)? because slimes are pretty easy to start up and preserve & restore but monkeys are a little bit harder to get your hands on since you can't exactly turn them back into cubes again (without spending multiple monkeys for 1 cube inefficiency)

- Monkeymode involves a very angry troupe of deep jungle monkeys attacking the surface station. Jungle monkeys collect fruits/food & return them to home trees in order to make more monkeys for ghosts to inhibit. Station crew win by killing all monkeys or cutting down the home trees.

Spoiler: