On round "continuity"

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

On round "continuity"

Post by captain sawrge » #269862

Brought this up earlier with Kor. Currently, most people act as though there's at least some form of implied round continuity, and the setting allows for it pretty easily.

Crashing every round might kind of get stale with regards to roleplaying it out. This is like 90% flavor, but what I'd like to propose instead is that the base/most of it at least is some kind of pre-established outpost. A ship/part of a station/etc. will be what crashlands near the base, maybe damaging it or whatever, knocks out communications equipment or jams it somehow, and the hole it creates in the surface is what kickstarts the Necropolis's encroachment on the surface in this region.

This is mostly just to give people something more to work with than "oh no we crashed again" every round so that they don't have to roleplay the unluckiest people in space.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Re: On round "continuity"

Post by onleavedontatme » #269864

I don't really want a dynamic ship crash every round, but I'm open to other excuses why their base exists how it does/why they can't just fly out. Maybe there is some sort of leftover alien defense network that shoots down shuttles. Maybe it was colony dropped near the wreck to investigate it, and NT has been dropping hundreds if not thousands of these prefabricated bases on the planet for [lore reason].
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #269866

Pretty much no matter what, if the lore is that something crashed from space, people are going to have a sarcastic "oh no another crash, how terrible" kind of attitude about it.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #269869

I don't think it would be too hard to create multiple flavor text on round spawn explaining what happened to cause the crash or when.

Ai malfunctioned crashing the ship, ancient alien defense system, sabotage, human error, ship was attacked by the syndicate, Wormhole appeared and ripped the fucker in half. You could just have it select from a list round start to give so a reason to crash would be easy.

Inhabiting the base itself could be a bit tricker and you could just reason that it's either a older model outpost that was abandoned and was re-purposed by the crew. I don't think the idea is that the crash happened, and you're climbing out of the rubble, it's more of a few months down the line and you've got yourself somewhat set up.

Spoiler:
Station continuity is awful anyway, each round should be separate experience itself.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #269870

It makes the most sense for the shuttle crash to be the instigating event as to why the station was set up on the planet, not that it keeps happening.

The ship was just passing the planet by when the Syndies/an asteroid/incompetence caused the ship to get split in half and half crash into the planet.

A few weeks pass as the crew establish a station on the surface out of necessity and are just starting to recuperate when suddenly the Necropolis bursts through the ground like a hellish turnip, awakened by the ship breaching its cavern and reactivating its systems, and the crew have to rush plans to get the fuck out before they all die.

As for why it keeps happening, it's just that HQ really want to figure out what the Necropolis' deal is, and keep sending people down to the outpost to learn more.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #269872

Add an actual picture of what the ship looks like in your memory.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #269907

What if there is something strange an anomalous about this planet that causes sensor interference and messes with communications? Linked to the necropolis maybe? It could have been part of why the ship crashed in the first place, as well as a justification to keep the anomaly random events that we have. Something is messing with spacetime in a fundamental way and NT wants to know why and how. They have set up several permanent installations to study the area but they cannot transmit their findings without shuttling out/gateway-ing home
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #269915

so wait
nobody can go in or out, hence the crash, lack of comms/cargo shuttle, etc

but then how do latejoins work
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #269916

By spawning in the forest near the station, having finally wandered over from a crash site.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #269922

PKPenguin321 wrote:so wait
nobody can go in or out, hence the crash, lack of comms/cargo shuttle, etc

but then how do latejoins work
Waking up from cryo

Which would make far more sense on our current maps as well anyway.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #269983

Wyzack wrote:What if there is something strange an anomalous about this planet that causes sensor interference and messes with communications? Linked to the necropolis maybe? It could have been part of why the ship crashed in the first place, as well as a justification to keep the anomaly random events that we have. Something is messing with spacetime in a fundamental way and NT wants to know why and how. They have set up several permanent installations to study the area but they cannot transmit their findings without shuttling out/gateway-ing home
This would also explain all those weird lavaland ruins. We have 3 ruins based on ships (Golems, Plantpeople, Prisoner transfer (disabled) ), several ruins based on biodomes/places-ripped-from-somewhere (clown, ice and beach biodome, medical facility, the "party" ruin, vendor boxes), some that could feasibly appear on lavaland (ash walkers, hermit, ruined survival pods) and some that are metaphysical (cult site, representations of deadly sins, wish granter, hierophant, temple filled with butterflies).
You could say that planet is "something something bluespace", which causes it to reach for far-off locations through bluespace and move them here/duplicate them here, complete with occupants, and causes all ships travelling nearby to crash on it.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #270092

Following the surprise detonation of the nuclear self destruct device aboard Space Station 13, a remote outpost was quickly settled by Nanotrasen on a nearby Terran-type planet as a forward operating post. Large hunks of the station still float around in the space around the outpost and occasionally fall into the planet (bringing things like massive scrap metal debris, escape pods and cryo pods of crew members in deep sleep, rarely containing more than a frozen corpse), and the main goal of the station is to monitor and see about scavenging anything useful from the station's remains, as well as scout the planet for sources of syndicate outposts or any kind of clues to track down the people that blew up the station. Of course, the planet itself is also full of mysterious anomalies, and fantastic rewards beyond belief are being offered to any crew members who come across anything the research staff at Centcom would deem "scientifically or culturally significant". Who knows what that means though? The stated mission is still to deal with the poor bastards who got blown out of the sky.

Thoughts?
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #270117

Shaps-cloud wrote:Following the surprise detonation of the nuclear self destruct device aboard Space Station 13, a remote outpost was quickly settled by Nanotrasen on a nearby Terran-type planet as a forward operating post. Large hunks of the station still float around in the space around the outpost and occasionally fall into the planet (bringing things like massive scrap metal debris, escape pods and cryo pods of crew members in deep sleep, rarely containing more than a frozen corpse), and the main goal of the station is to monitor and see about scavenging anything useful from the station's remains, as well as scout the planet for sources of syndicate outposts or any kind of clues to track down the people that blew up the station. Of course, the planet itself is also full of mysterious anomalies, and fantastic rewards beyond belief are being offered to any crew members who come across anything the research staff at Centcom would deem "scientifically or culturally significant". Who knows what that means though? The stated mission is still to deal with the poor bastards who got blown out of the sky.

Thoughts?
yes

granted I was hoping for the station to initially be a wreck and the crew used the environment to fortify/etc. but this works just as well
Limey wrote:its too late.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #270367

Shaps has the right idea, the station should be a permanent ground base that suddenly is now dealing with a sudden critical threat from the planet, and for reasons unknown they can't launch the evacuation shuttle (randomly generated reasons as to why the ship is grounded)
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #270371

What if instead of leaving through a gateway, we still left by shuttle? Except make it supermatter shuttle that must be charged first.
Bring back papercult.

FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #273426

Or the shuttle fires through a stargate sized gateway, requiring simultaneous charging due to the bluespace engines being busted.

Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #273500

Having the game come with prefabricated bits of lore and having it print before the round starts a la adlibs or when you join would be kinda neat.

Maybe one round the game talks about Nanotrasen built a base but then aliens took over that particular galaxy so it makes it difficult to escape, then another round it talks about a cultist possessed the captain to crash the ship in the asteroid, causing an evacuation to the nearest planet possible with little means of contacting centcomm, etc.

Most people won't care about the lore anyways, but it might be nice to have it a little bit variable so for those that do want to roleplay around the setting can roleplay dynamically between rounds.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #273728

I would love randomized lore for the start
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #273902

Armhulen wrote:I would love randomized lore for the start
Yeah it wouldn't be hard to have procedurally generated lore that you get when you spawn
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #275300

but in the end no one will give a shit because no one will bother to read the block of bold text in their face when they spawn
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #275302

bman wrote:but in the end no one will give a shit because no one will bother to read the block of bold text in their face when they spawn
i would
Limey wrote:its too late.
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #275497

If we're going to have continuity we should have this hosted on a 3rd server in my opinion.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #275540

Maybe have a random disperal? Sleepers on multiple levels, so the crew starts spread out and has to make their way into the ship via a different method each time.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #275545

Kor's plan is set in motion and we secretly become a seceded catperson bay server, NOX furry paradise but more toxic.

Continuity doesn't exactly work smoothly on other servers i've noted, in such a case that the premise of those high RP servers is that everyone knows or is aware of everyone else. Because TG has lots of big characters, as well as random yet to be established persons continuity is a bad thing.

Dying in one round of moonstation (I forget the bay server that was on) sometimes removed you from the next in a cycle for what is hours, so its a very slow process and we can expect planetstation without instant win conditions like rev (because what do you do in rev if heads/revolutionaries go all guerilla in the jungle) will also drag on for hours.

Not to mention continuity completely screws up the concept of ghost roles, because the very essence of continuity is that you're supposed to exist. Life in TG currently is expendable because you can just roll up a ghost role to fufill a quick thrill before readying up for the next match.

- Resources on planetstation are probably going to be relatively low, so reloading a station blown to hell doesn't service anybody's interests so its a big fat no from me.
Besides the other garble above, incase people try to bamboozle what people mean by 'continuity' i don't think multiple series of events for lore makes it any clearer to detailed than sticking to a story and leaving it vague enough for people to draw thier own resolutions. (TL;DR: Groundwork for lore please but don't touch)

Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #275645

I just want continuity to be as it is now, not explicit but still possible and left at the discretion of each player to decide for themselves
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster