Containment Thread

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)

How should Planetary Station's final implementation be handled?

Make both servers only run Planetary Station
24%
Have one server run Planetary Station and the other run Space Station 13
22%
Put Planetary Station in the map rotation
52%
Other (please specify)
2%

Total votes: 63

Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Containment Thread

Post by Luke Cox » #269896

One of the most hotly debated aspects of Planet Station has been how it's going to be implemented if/when it is completed. Alienating large chunks of the playerbase is a serious concern regardless of how well received the finished product is. If we are serious about implementing what is arguably a whole new game, we need to figure out how we're going to do it. I can think of three ways:
  • Make Planetary Station the only mode on both Bagil and Sybil. Remove the base game entirely.
  • Have one server run Planetary Station, and one run Space Station 13.
  • Put Planetary Station into map rotation as a map.
If anyone has any other ideas, feel free to post them.
Last edited by Luke Cox on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Implementation

Post by PKPenguin321 » #269898

make this a poll and i will vote for map
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Re: Implementation

Post by Luke Cox » #269904

PKPenguin321 wrote:make this a poll and i will vote for map
Done
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Re: Implementation (Now with 100% more democracy)

Post by onleavedontatme » #269925

Players will almost always vote for as much content as possible whether that is a good thing or not, or even feasible in terms of code workload/quality/etc
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #269930

Kor wrote:Players will almost always vote for as much content as possible whether that is a good thing or not, or even feasible in terms of code workload/quality/etc
Of course, which is why we need to keep in mind that players are not going to want to give up old content.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #269931

Luke Cox wrote:
Kor wrote:Players will almost always vote for as much content as possible whether that is a good thing or not, or even feasible in terms of code workload/quality/etc
Of course, which is why we need to keep in mind that players are not going to want to give up old content.
ok but nothing is being removed with this
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #269933

captain sawrge wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:
Option 1 effectively removes the entire base game
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #269934

Luke Cox wrote:
captain sawrge wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:
this is still almost the exact same game
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #269936

captain sawrge wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:
captain sawrge wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:
this is still almost the exact same game
>Different scenario
>Different map(s)
>Different jobs
>Different objectives
>Wave of death slowly encroaching on the station
>Different endgame
>Increased PvE elements
>"Same game"

Planetary Station is going to play quite differently than regular SS13, and that's a fact we need to account for if we want the playerbase to accept it.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #269938

It has to be option one though, we can't support two versions of the game at once
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #269941

Armhulen wrote:It has to be option one though, we can't support two versions of the game at once
If i recall, Kor said that he wanted to start this off as a map in rotation. But yes, that will be a major problem and one of the primary reasons I am against this whole project. I've said this until I was blue in the face in the original thread and I'd rather not start another argument about it here. If half the community is hell-bent on trying it I might as well try to be constructive.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #269947

*blocks your path*
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #269952

Armhulen wrote:It has to be option one though, we can't support two versions of the game at once
Why
Spoiler:
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #269954

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Why
Not feasible to split up the codebase if you ever want to see any meaningful progress on this
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #269956

the entire purpose of this experiment is to put the project in the hands of a single person with a single vision

there is no democracy
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #269958

danno wrote:the entire purpose of this experiment is to put the project in the hands of a single person with a single vision

there is no democracy
That might work for something like Colonial Marines, but /tg/ would never accept it. The project is not dictated by a single person, nor should it be.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #269959

captain sawrge wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Why
Not feasible to split up the codebase if you ever want to see any meaningful progress on this
Why not
Spoiler:
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #269961

Think, McFly.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #269962

If Kor is serious about the scale and ambition that he's proposing, Swarge is right. That's another huge issue I take with this. It will completely suffocate the base game. If both gamemodes are to coexist, which is what half of us want based on the poll so far, things are going to have to be scaled back
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #269963

can i please post separation memes in here and yell about how you're implying soft power ?
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #269964

I'm not interested in discussing the (alleged) separation between admins/coders and such, I'm trying to brainstorm how we can implement this without gutting the playerbase
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #270014

I don't care which you pick just keep it contained to this thread please
Limey wrote:its too late.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #270050

There is an additional option which is putting this on the rarely used third server. I've only seen it used for gooncode and test, and there's usually not anybody online testing anything when I'm looking. You could add that to the poll but I'm choosing other for now
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #270051

We're going to lose players either way.
Stick it on sybil, call it a day.
I play Boris Pepper.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #270107

I don't think it will be that bad maintaining both. The only real major difference is cargo in terms of game balance as far as I can tell, and since most systems are unchanged they'll be able to coexist. Not to mention that while we'll have plenty of planet devs, we'll also always have space devs (we already have hundreds!), not to mention there's no reason devs can't work on both at their own discretion. I think you guys are over hyping this whole separation thing
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #270121

Luke Cox wrote:
danno wrote:the entire purpose of this experiment is to put the project in the hands of a single person with a single vision

there is no democracy
That might work for something like Colonial Marines, but /tg/ would never accept it. The project is not dictated by a single person, nor should it be.
Hey remember how hornygranny's iron fist used to rule the entire project and how people joked about it for years even after the drama was over?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #270123

The idea that we'd lose The Playerbase is laughable when

1) We didn't die when goof chem happened, and people fucking hated that

2) We didn't die when runspeed happened, and people fucking hated that

3) Every previous time we've added PVE elements to /tg/ it's been immensely popular

4) Players love new things above all else. The SS13 variants set on planets are very popular

5) I have a pretty long history of understanding what The Playerbase wants

I'm sure some people would quit, but it'd probably raise our population overall if anything.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I don't think it will be that bad maintaining both. The only real major difference is cargo in terms of game balance as far as I can tell, and since most systems are unchanged they'll be able to coexist. Not to mention that while we'll have plenty of planet devs, we'll also always have space devs (we already have hundreds!), not to mention there's no reason devs can't work on both at their own discretion. I think you guys are over hyping this whole separation thing
We can barley support multiple "box but the rooms are scrambled" maps. It will be able to coexist initially, but it will be incredibly limiting long term to have to balance around.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #270125

Anyway a poll that you have no power to enforce, of a very small sample of people who might not even play, to gauge their reaction to something that doesn't even exist, with an option promising that you'll get unpaid strangers to double their workload, is kind of silly.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #270130

Kor, for the reasons that I've highlighted a billion times, Planetary Station is fundamentally different. If you think that it's superior to the base game, that's fine. The examples you gave were balance tweaks and new features to the base game. What you're proposing is an overhaul of the core structure of the game.You are delusional if you think that is the same thing. Players aren't going to see it as the same thing. You can scoff at the poll all you want, but the more people vote, the wider the gap grows in favor of not forcing it on both servers.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I don't think it will be that bad maintaining both. The only real major difference is cargo in terms of game balance as far as I can tell, and since most systems are unchanged they'll be able to coexist. Not to mention that while we'll have plenty of planet devs, we'll also always have space devs (we already have hundreds!), not to mention there's no reason devs can't work on both at their own discretion. I think you guys are over hyping this whole separation thing
Kor has made it clear that he wants to axe the base game in favor of this, regardless of how feasible maintaining both is. This is a replacement, not an addition. Are you starting to see why I'm against it?
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:

there is no democracy
Hey remember how hornygranny's iron fist used to rule the entire project and how people joked about it for years even after the drama was over?
There's a reason that everyone hated him. He really doesn't help your case.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #270131

I just don't think that the game as it is now is worth preserving. Kor's vision will move the server forward.
Bring back papercult.

Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #270133

The game as it is has its faults, but we really shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. In the last year alone, we've made substantial progress on the base game.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #270137

InsaneHyena wrote:I just don't think that the game as it is now is worth preserving. Kor's vision will move the server forward.
where is the idea that /tg/ as is will die coming from

like, backups are a thing, you could just download the /tg/ code pre planetstation and run your own server if you want it that badly

maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation but moving the game in a new direction doesn't mean any and all past versions will be erased from history
Limey wrote:its too late.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #270142

It's not your project
You didn't make it
You don't contribute to it
It doesn't matter how fair you think it is. You don't speak on behalf of the playerbase. You are a forum minority.

A singular vision is what we need.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #270158

Kor wrote:
We can barley support multiple "box but the rooms are scrambled" maps. It will be able to coexist initially, but it will be incredibly limiting long term to have to balance around.
...no? The map system works fine
If a map goes unmaintained we remove it
???
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #270181

Yeah exactly. People already can't be bothered to maintain a series of maps that are almost identical gameplay wise and we end up removing tons of them.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #270203

Then we keep Box and Meta, since those seem pretty well maintained.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #270218

Kor wrote:
Yeah exactly. People already can't be bothered to maintain a series of maps that are almost identical gameplay wise and we end up removing tons of them.
Define tons
We removed like what, asteroid and mini and dream?
which were replaced by omega and delta?

Which ever maps were removed ended up with replacements one way or another, is that not working as intended?
The reason they are similar in some aspects is because of "gameplay balance" like how one armoury can't have more stuff than another stations. (yet minor discrepancies get through anyway)
How are you going to buy a house one day kor? All of them are almost identical with the rooms just shifted around, what the fuck kor
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #270221

Asteroid, Asteroid a second time, Disc, Bird, Mini, Dream, probably more I'm forgetting
The reason they are similar in some aspects is because of "gameplay balance"
Yes exactly. So how are we going to handle SS13 vs SS13+jungle long term balance wise?

And my point wasn't that they're bad for being similar, my point was that they are significantly easier to maintain because they're so similar,and yet we still don't do it.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #270228

Nobody bothered to maintain dream/asteroid/etc because nobody fucking likes them. People actually like Box, Meta, and Delta. People actually like the core game too, even with its flaws.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #270230

This is the same core gameplay.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #270234

Why are we all falling for the bait?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #270235

captain sawrge wrote:This is the same core gameplay.
so why cant we support both maps at once ?!?!?!?

i really doubt that just because one person is changing the planet map, another can't just change boxstation
Spoiler:
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #270263

If you want to supplant the base game completely fork the code and do it somewhere else. This is space station 13.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #270265

just run it as a third server, then ramp up incentive for people to donate.

it'll inspire mso to host even more /tg/ branches. like aqua and fallout.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #270273

My original suggestion was for Kor to make his own fork of the code, make antags and jobs tailored to the new map, market it as a spin-off game, and host it on the third server.
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #270278

Kor wrote:Anyway a poll that you have no power to enforce, of a very small sample of people who might not even play, to gauge their reaction to something that doesn't even exist, with an option promising that you'll get unpaid strangers to double their workload, is kind of silly.
danno wrote:It's not your project
You didn't make it
You don't contribute to it
It doesn't matter how fair you think it is. You don't speak on behalf of the playerbase. You are a forum minority.

A singular vision is what we need.
This poll is a terrible idea of which literally noone is obligated to listen to.
Your posts are oft terrible ideas which again, noone is obligated to listen to.

Luke, this is happening, and making passive aggressive threads isn't helping, like you said you were going to try and do.
Luke Cox wrote:I might as well try to be constructive.
If you have any skills aside from a remarkable ability to attempt to control what you have no power over, put them to actual use.

But then again, this is just one most post, which you have no obligation to listen to.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #270279

I'm more on board with adding this to rotation but I could see tg being "guys look its ss13 except its not space so its cool" kinda thing setting us apart from the others.

Wait why should I care I don't play?
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #270281

PKPenguin321 wrote:

i really doubt that just because one person is changing the planet map, another can't just change boxstation
Because splitting development will just create two inconsistent, poorly organized projects instead of one. One project allows for greater focus, consistency, balance, organization and a smaller, more feasible and manageable workload for maintainers.

This project already has clear design goals and objectives in place and several people that expressed an interest in contributing. It proposes a solution to several current problems with the game itself while keeping largely the same gameplay with some additions to keep things more interesting throughout a round.

Personally I'm willing to sacrifice the empty void outside the station if it means round progression gets meaning, the station starts to actually have value to it, early shuttle calls are no longer the solution to every problem, maintenance jobs have actual work to do and the million or so stupid weapons people have added finally gain a use beyond "hold this in your bag until you see antag then let it blast everything in sight"
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #270282

captain sawrge wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:

Because splitting development will just create two inconsistent, poorly organized projects instead of one. One project allows for greater focus, consistency, balance, organization and a smaller, more feasible and manageable workload for maintainers.
this hasn't happened with other maps and if this is the same core gameplay i dont see why it would happen with this one
Spoiler:
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #270283

Are you being intentionally obtuse right now

it is possible for a project to have additional mechanics and elements to it while keeping core gameplay. There are several things that need to be implemented for this to work properly. At its core, it is still SS13: employees on a station going about their business until antags come fuck stuff up, but it's incredibly disengenous to just call it a new map