Atmosphere and Pressure

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Atmosphere and Pressure

Post by D&B » #271164

What will be the jungle (and crash site I suppose) Kpa? What about atmosphere? Will I be like lavaland where you need internals, or will the vegetation create enough oxygen to forego the need for internals?

How about the subterranean levels? Will the necropolis be normal Kpa, or will the death and sins weight down everything there (high pressure.)
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Re: Atmosphere and Pressure

Post by kevinz000 » #271171

My suggestion is slightly under pressure but not lavaland level but not enough oxygen so you still need working Atmos and internals to live
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #271174

what would an atmospheric simulator be without the need for atmos?
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #271179

Remies multi z lets atmos travel between holes in the floor, so it will probably be the same atmosphere that lavaland has currently. You'll need internals, but not a suit.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #271181

Loads of CO2.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #271186

I would find it interesting if different plans or enemies, on death, expelled gases. Destroy one of the necropolis tendrils? Freon erupts to simulate the rigor mortis of the dead land. Destroy a big bulb in the jungle? Hope you enjoy BZ
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #271213

I'd really like the forest to be livable in the nude. The things in the environment should be what's out to kill you, not some invisible air.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #271224

Lavaland should have slightly heavier pressure and toxic gas

Jungleland should have slightly lighter pressure and breathable air
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #271378

No breathable air in the jungle to have that Pandora feeling please
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #271381

The jungle should be entirely survivable without a suit or internals.
The Lavaland below should remain hostile suit+internals required.

The threats of the jungle should be the flora+fauna.
私は完璧
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #271557

The jungle should be Pandora-like as Grazyn said - You need internals for more than a short while, but can dance around in your skivvies if you need to .
Maybe rather than insufficient O2, have a poisonous gas in the air so that in a pinch just a gasmask will let you be outside

Lavaland should need some form of suit, and Internals

Space should need Space suits and internals obviously
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #271750

listen, all i want is to be able to survive it out in nothing but my undies and a tribal mask in a shitty wooden treehouse with a spear and campfire-cooked spear-hunted monster meat
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #271943

Make long term exposure to the external air have a deliberating effect, but not a fatal one.

If you breath in the external air for too long you'll start to suffer from some minor disadvantages, such as your vision not reaching as far as usual, you needing to eat more regularly, having a lower critical threshold, your words tend to come out a bit jumbled, have a % chance to fail to use high tech electronic equipment, etc.

Short term exposure won't affect you in a major way however.

You can survive outside in your underwear, but you'll be significantly worse for the wear, and you'll show real in game symptoms of being negatively affected by the external air, requiring medical intervention to help bring you back to good health.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #271970

Like a low% N2O mix or similar unpleasant gas?
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #271973

Just have the forest air contain amounts of BZ.
the horrors of the jungle cause you to hallucinate.

this makes the jungle "uninhabitable" but not "lol if you stay here long enough you die" (plasma, no O2, pressure) or "lol go to bed" (N2)
私は完璧
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #271979

Remie Richards wrote:Just have the forest air contain amounts of BZ.
the horrors of the jungle cause you to hallucinate.

this makes the jungle "uninhabitable" but not "lol if you stay here long enough you die" (plasma, no O2, pressure) or "lol go to bed" (N2)
>singulo while fighting

"lol go to bed"
BZ SUX.
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #271985

If you're going for a planetside map you might as well take advantage of it. You could have things like pockets of seriously toxic gas (like straight-up plasma) that will kill some chump who punctures them without a mask on but would be relatively harmless once they disperse into the general atmosphere.

Edit: low concentrations of plasma popping into the outside air from time to time might be a reason for NT to be hanging around there if they've got scrubber stations to pump in the outside air, filter it, and collect dat precious plasma.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #273960

I toned down the shit hallucinations and made more interesting ones. All stunning hallucinations can be dodged or outran if you're careful.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #274327

To stop us having a kind of scenario that Fallout 13 has with a closed map running out of oxygen after some idiot blows open a hole into space with a huge explosive, i think we need to differentiate between HEAVY and light gases as to keep the atmos system in check

- HEAVY GAS, basically tile localised gas for as long as you are outside a room (its still possible to create a vaccum or poison a air supply if you pump gas into a closed room, basically vents just help circulate air from outside)

- Light gas is the conventional gas that spreads everywhere.

To implement Remie's BZ heat hallucination ideas (i dont like the idea but it fufills the purpose of explaining this) the air would be composite BZ & oxygen, meaning that the air is static, can spread out in its own area but otherwise remains restrained, light gases can interact and spread out but mostly if you were to run a air purifier all day, the heavy gases are unchanging. Meaning that without cheating by putting O2 everywhere and hoping it doesn't run out, there will be air and whatever else gases you want there ALL the time.

Probably paint the area in map-maker or something because space tiles wont exist in planet-station as a base turf, space is just a void of heavy gas. While associated (Grass or Jungle) areas would have their own static air input.

- If the underground has a slightly oppressive KPA, and also irritant/burning (sulphur gas that causes passive burning in the mouth, irritation of the eyes and non clothed areas) heavy gas, then we could adequately create pockets of actually lethal light gas trapped between rocks as well as simulate a inflow of HEAVY surface air around cave ins.

Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #274335

The floor won't break to space on planetstation because our code is much better than Fallout 13 and I fixed that problem years ago.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #274339

I wasn't saying that it would, but i just mean some silly reasoning to passively drain the map of air, therefore requiring a sort of static air solution to stop gases travelling to far or too thin. (Or running out in a atmosphere that should be sustainable but if we're going along remies lines of certain air compositions in places, also managably varied.)

- A giant plasma fire somewhere on the map due to something starts to burn away all the air. ETC.

Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #274340

Again, we have better coders than Fallout 13 does. MSO made planet turfs slowly reset to their original air content to simulate gasses dispersing into the atmosphere. Once a plasmafire is done burning out the air would cool back to normal over time.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #274358

Kor wrote:Again, we have better coders than Fallout 13 does. MSO made planet turfs slowly reset to their original air content to simulate gasses dispersing into the atmosphere. Once a plasmafire is done burning out the air would cool back to normal over time.
Plasmafires instantly dissipate on lavaland.
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #274473

Because there's no air, in a oxygen rich environment it can keep burning away, wildfires might become a problem if the objects & certain turfs are also flammable.

Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #274474

Kor wrote:Again, we have better coders than Fallout 13 does.
shots fired
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #274478

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Because there's no air, in a oxygen rich environment it can keep burning away, wildfires might become a problem if the objects & certain turfs are also flammable.
Wildfires should definitely be a feature! "Only you can prevent wildfires!"
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #274481

Bombadil wrote:
Kor wrote:Again, we have better coders than Fallout 13 does. MSO made planet turfs slowly reset to their original air content to simulate gasses dispersing into the atmosphere. Once a plasmafire is done burning out the air would cool back to normal over time.
Plasmafires instantly dissipate on lavaland.
that's unfun.
*blows horn* :honk: STONERRRRRRRRRRRR
What do you have to saaaaaaaaay?
私は完璧
Fiz Bump
Byond Username: Dennyb

Post by Fiz Bump » #274488

I think a high oxygen atmosphere would be pretty neat, especially if the planet is covered by plant life.
It would require something to be coded in to cover the effects of oxygen toxicity though, because I'm pretty sure our current code doesn't have anything there. It would also be really neat if the atmosphere was slightly above normal, rather than below. This would help explain the heat of the planet with a high O2 concentration and would also beong interesting consequences into play for airlocks and holes in the base.
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #274492

I mean players only consume 16 moles of air a second, you couldn't actually punish them with oxygen toxicity, but high oxygen would be nice. Never self extinguishing fires outside unless the actual fueling source runs out.

Reflect it on the fauna around them too, eating something like 30 moles of oxygen a second to survive just because that's their habitat, but obviously something not gratuitous enough to actually drain certain areas of the planet of oxygen.

Spoiler:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #274496

Fiz Bump wrote:I think a high oxygen atmosphere would be pretty neat, especially if the planet is covered by plant life.
It would require something to be coded in to cover the effects of oxygen toxicity though, because I'm pretty sure our current code doesn't have anything there. It would also be really neat if the atmosphere was slightly above normal, rather than below. This would help explain the heat of the planet with a high O2 concentration and would also beong interesting consequences into play for airlocks and holes in the base.
adding oxygen poisoning is actually just one line since my gas breathing refactor ages ago (the one that added plasmamen to /tg/), simply set safe_oxygen_max to an amount of moles and that's it.
私は完璧
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #274500

It is kind of tricky, on one hand it would be really cool if devolved tribes of greyshirts could rough it out in the deep jungle away from civilisation, but on the other hand i think it is important to have certain pressures to incentive remaining in an internal environment with purified air. What if we had some sort of agent in the air or outside that causes minor disadvantages like Steelpoint said, but they can be circumvented by herbs, plants, or other materials found around the jungle and you will always need to find more.

If a good balance could be found it would make life outside the planet station viable but still a constant struggle
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #274501

If you really want to be fun, add nitrogen narcosis.
factoryman942
Byond Username: Factoryman942

Post by factoryman942 » #274504

What if you make O2 rise from lavaland to jungle, and plasma/N2O/etc sink from jungle to the area below through chasms
While N2 just spreads evenly between the two levels
Then the top would be mostly-habitable, and lavaland would have little/no oxygen and all the toxic shit from the station
Iatots

Post by Iatots » #274514

Remie Richards wrote:
Fiz Bump wrote:I think a high oxygen atmosphere would be pretty neat, especially if the planet is covered by plant life.
adding oxygen poisoning is actually just one line since my gas breathing refactor ages ago (the one that added plasmamen to /tg/), simply set safe_oxygen_max to an amount of moles and that's it.
Right now CO2 at anything over like 2% (1atm) causes severe asphyxiation. Could you make it so that between 2-8% it causes things like stamina loss, tunnel vision etc?
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #274526

Also the plasma dissipates rapidly like using a inferno grenade all the plasma dissapears in like 10 second
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #274528

Messing with planetstation atmos defeats the point of being able to survive outside without obviously having some no-go areas (and then there's a case that if you destroy all the trees, what happens to the gas? Is it just stuck to that area?)

Swamps are noted to be noxious from gases emerging from them, so around stagnant water map features just release additional CO2 with some nitrogen or something along those lines (harvest propane/geothermal gases off them or something)

Spoiler:
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #274539

Gas is pretty hard on performance, especially on a map that is no longer mostly space. I may be wrong, but i doubt we'll see outdoor atmos features unless they get very optimized.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #274547

The surface absolutely should have a hospitable environment, at least for breathing, but lavaland should be full of hot CO2 that demands a suit to survive. Breaches from lavaland to the surface such as from tendrils or bombs would thus constantly be spewing a hot, unbreathable gas, killing plantlife/people nearby.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #274781

Won't be spewing shit unless lavaland is under high pressure. CO2 is heavier than air.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Iatots

Post by Iatots » #274825

Hot air rises dumb lizard.

Volcanoes (at least on earth) are also a big source of water vapour, which is currently a half-baked excuse for LOLSLIPS and could use a rework, though that is outside the scope of the current project unless you think implementing toxic molds is a high priority issue.