Don't kiss me you smelly Nerf Herder!

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Don't kiss me you smelly Nerf Herder!

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #273156

Hear me out, because the surface is so lush green and pleasant, it would be ideal pasturing land, and obviously the encroaching Big Bad, and local fauna creates a natural point of contention for farmers to keep them on their toes.

> Cows, some goats maybe some sheep, a few native varieties of grazing animals (a small deer or something that predators eat in the wild) also makes the spacemen self reliablity for food, and pallette larger. Rashers of bacon, beef, mutton and exotic alien veal.

> Certain animals like monkeys are omnivorous, monkeys should become irratible if not fed.

> Dogs and cats in the carnivorous class hunt animals their own size class, obviously if you have a pet tiger or are breeding bears (you maniac) you'd need to throw it a steak every now and again to stop it going eventually stir crazy with hunger, attacking you (ideal size class, same size or smaller) .

This further helps Kor's ecosystem idea, as well as creates a non-haybale/food suppliment way (like goof farms attempt to feed out of troughs) of providing food for animals, basically the livestock (divided up between riskier livestock animals that eat meat and those that graze) mind their own business, and then outside predators come and bother the station defences drawn in by either the players or their animals, and grazing animals need to actively be out on pasture to feed else starve.

In space there is typically neither the resources or time to maintain such a big 'barnyard' beside some coop chickens (little to no maintenance, just throw them some corn in a trough), some hydroponics & bees. You can surely import or find wild jungle species to domesticate into your livestock.

Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: Don't kiss me you smelly Nerf Herder!

Post by Armhulen » #273157

If we're farming something, it basically has to be alien.
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #273158

Farming?
Except in space?

Neat

But Armhulen is right
One person on this planet wrote:Wow you're funny and original Eous
I don't play often but when I do I'm Kyp Astar normally a sec role unless I'm bored and go assistant.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #273254

>nerf herder
new name for coders
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #273269

Armhulen wrote:If we're farming something, it basically has to be alien.
Not really, just import earth animals from cargo (if cargo exists in its current form on planetstation). You can farm corgi's using ian if you want to as long as you feed the dogs meat every now and again.

Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #273734

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
Armhulen wrote:If we're farming something, it basically has to be alien.
Not really, just import earth animals from cargo (if cargo exists in its current form on planetstation). You can farm corgi's using ian if you want to as long as you feed the dogs meat every now and again.
cargo won't be in planetstation and by golly slime ranchers was too good to just use earth creatures
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #273758

You can account for that by using the taming suggestion on local wildlife.

Spoiler: