Taming local wildlife

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Taming local wildlife

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #273271

This honestly feels like a Goof PR im going to suggest, but what if..

We tame local wildlife that are unconscious (if i remember correctly some of kor's animals like his opening snake lizard thing have a critical health state, besides being splatted like xenos) from either high damage or sedatives by feeding them berries until they like us enough. Of course there's obvious restrictions as to what can't and what can be tamed, and the said type of alien berries are out in the jungle waiting to be gathered, brought back and grown for botany.

Basically mejoberries, after a certain amount of time force feeding the berries the creature becomes station *crew* loving, some animals need more intensive feeding sessions than others and constant sedation in such a case that they naturally recover out of crit before the berry feeding process has finished.

- Xenobio sounds like a excellent place to store your captured creatures in the meantime.
Last edited by FantasticFwoosh on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Re: Taming local wildlife

Post by imblyings » #273295

Perhaps its time you learned how to code fwoosh
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #273297

Not sure if that's a compliment or a complaint, previously mentioned oranges ( ' )would push me into going to college just to learn code (committing my RL to coding for a game i don't play as much anymore, and dont see as a fulltime commitment i could be doing for the next 20 years)( ' )

I already have a lot of TERRIBLE begginer code projects sitting on my hard drive. And one actually complete PR ready to go that Joan helped me out immensely with a while back

As to the actual idea?

Spoiler:
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #273298

imblyings wrote:Perhaps its time you learned how to code fwoosh
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #273303

Spoiler:

Code: Select all

mob/living/simple_animal/canBeTamed(atom/movable/M, be_close = 0, tamable= 0)
    if(UNCONSCIOUS || incapacitated)
        if(be_close && !in_range(M, src))
            return 0
    else
        to_chat(src, "<span class='warning'>The creature consume the berries</span>")
        return 0
return 1

/mob/living/simple_animal/Cantbetamed(atom/movable/M, be_close = 0, non_tamable= 0)
    if(CONCIOUS)
        if(be_close && !in_range(M, src))
            return 0
    else
        to_chat(src, "<span class='warning'>The creature rejects & spits back the berries at you!</span>")
        return 0
return 1
A shitty attempt using frankenstiened code to try and explain the concept, a unconscious creature with the right taming variables will eat (obiviously since the eating system doesn't exist yet for fake metabolising of nutrients in meat to reset the huger, taking a potshot at theorycrafting at what kor might cook up). The berry item via a carbon mob pushing it into the incapacited tamable simple mob would have its own code, and of course the whole gradual process with the end result simple mob switching faction alliegances to the station as long as its perpetually kept asleep during the process.

- This shitty attempt was made by reusing dexterity code.

however creating a fullheal after the taming is possible using the existing full-revive and just changing the circumstances. Putting it up there just to try and explain the basis of the idea, shoot some darts at wildlife, crate them with a IV drip drag them back to xenobio or a secure compound and push copious amounts of sedative berries in their mouth to gain new livestock.

Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #273312

I literally just read a bit in Rogue Trader about an awful acid rain superjungle deathworld that is full some of the most vicious apex predators in the galaxy and people go there to capture them for sale (assuming they dont fucking die). Might be a cool idea
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #273396

this really is just becoming byond rimworld
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #273733

Learn to code fwoosh, I need someone to add my sikk ideas and kev is a bit busy innie