Suggestion: Ripley's used for outside manual labour

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Suggestion: Ripley's used for outside manual labour

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #273680

Post revisionally abstracting my original idea in favour of using this thread to discuss ways to re-use ripleys as a effective & useful alternative to stepping outside with tools and putting yourself at risk.
this was the original OP wrote:For the big jobs where puny lumberback spessmen are at risk from falling trees or local wildlife, eviscerates trees with speed.

- Also how fast you cut a tree depends on the tool, a kitchen knife or any object that is smaller than a axe & has nessecary edged force (if using any edged weapon to cut trees is not removed) takes significantly longer than the tedious process of chopping with a axe. Chainsaws and mechsaws give a moderate if not quick timer to tree cutting despite moderate size because of the unique item type.

It's probably going to be a case in which if there aren't natural rock formations on the map to divide up areas, trees are going to need to be cleared to stop obstruction in the more denser areas of the jungle, where overlapping tiles of trees block you and potentially a line of sight with where you want to go.
Last edited by FantasticFwoosh on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Re: Suggestion: Jungle clearing chainsaw ripleys

Post by Wyzack » #273685

This would be pretty awesome and i would love for low-tier mechs to have a use again. This also made me think we should maybe have a minor planetstation ideas thread pinned to this board because it will become cluttered fast with every small idea getting its own thread.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Re: Suggestion: Ripley's used for outside manual labour

Post by InsaneHyena » #273761

Ripley is low, low energy. It's time to make her a win again.
Bring back papercult.

FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Re: Suggestion: Ripley's used for outside manual labour

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #273764

I would be hyped if the Ripley Powerloader could move strategically placed bouders blocking invincible rock walls between areas, such a a secret cave entrance by using its mechanical strength to push it out of the way.

More abstract applications that interact with the enviroment via creative use of tools (extinguish a ongoing simulated forest fire for a new path with a firefighter model ripley) already it will be useful for mass laying cables around the map, can dig out rocks & carry supplies safely and internally.

Spoiler: