Hydroponics - Ad hoc outdoor farming *included suggestions*

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Hydroponics - Ad hoc outdoor farming *included suggestions*

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #273763

Because this isn't exactly a PLANNED colony, what if we had a arrangement in which hydroponics is partially a small/medium size room and a open grassy courtyard with lots of soil plots, a bit more like a traditional garden rather than a high-tech installation.

Most importantly, there are no vendors for seeds, just a creaky dusty cupboard with some basic vegtables & wheat, other foodstuffs around the station can be converted into seeds but inherently beside from about 3 hydroponics trays readymade, botanists have to monitor everything that they are making regularly and remain involved rather than laid back. There is no vulgaris naturally in hydroponics as rule to stall the use of mutating it into Gaia and to stop botanists goofing off while the colony begins to starve with a lack of cargo.
EXTREMELY CONCEPTUAL POOR QUALITY NON PLANETSTATION DEV SCREENSHOT OF WHAT IT MIGHT LOOK LIKE WITH MOST OF THE TRAYS OUTSIDE AND A FEW INSIDE.

- You must go out into the wild and pick new fruits and vegtables from the enviroment to take into the hydroponics, certain varieties of natural fruit & vegtable (purple carrots) are unappetising, mildly toxic or have little to no nutriment, and as such you will need to mutate these plants into earth varieties (and beyond)

- Without a active light source, plants don't grow in the soil plots outside during the night time so the compound where the plants are being grown outside will need to be well lit. Rain pouring onto the plants will hydrate it, making a more pressing concern of keeping the weeds/pests at bay and supplying nutrients to the soils for the outside plot (as a few independent lights around the compound will suffice).
Tree Forestry

With the granted space, we can grow certain varieties of trees (for harvesting fruit too, like bananas) by using saplings on a open grass/dirt surface tile with adequate light and no botany tray. Typically trees in three stages, firstly as a sapling, then a small tree before finally becoming a mature tree in which then it will quickly bear a large amount of fruit before being dormant before giving another large cache of fruit in a slow cycle. Certain trees can be harvested don't actually bear fruit but just drop seeds or inedible nuts/cones such as the ones found in the jungle that can be harvested. On the station there's no need to have a tree, but now since the station is surrounded by trees & soils there is more reason, if not just collecting trees for decorative/industrial woodwork use too.

- In a role reversal of current tower caps, trees would take over responsiblity for supplying quantities of wood, and actual tower caps can either be voided, made into a mushroom mutation type breakoff between wood or steelcaps (rather than wood INTO steelcaps) or/and only grow in low light conditions along with a shift in which low light rather than minimum light is required for it to grow.
A selection of thoughts on how to start this cargoless botany on a good foot, in which it will take a bit of time for R&D to wind up a genetics machine and subsequent unbalancing. May have to accept that without workarounds like finding plants as loot/map supplies/mutating from wild plants into earth variants that some plants are ultimately omitted from the scheme.

Spoiler:
DarkFNC
Byond Username: DarkFNC

Re: Hydroponics - Ad hoc outdoor farming *included suggestio

Post by DarkFNC » #274306

yet, good idea, maybe missing seed stores could be something found in space reckage/ randomly placed ruins / the other half of the crashed ship
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #274323

Thats a very agreeable alternative reason for only supplying a handful of plants. Im glad you brought that up, though i do think mutating wild plants would also help suppliment some loose ends (as to say if the crash only supplied 1/3 to complete your other 1/3 of plants at the station, leaving a blank you have to fill in yourself)

Spoiler:
DarkFNC
Byond Username: DarkFNC

Post by DarkFNC » #274330

Thanks, I never play botany so I don't know much of the science behind it, but I do know that planet station has more of a DIY vibe to the round from what we can see in the ideas that others and kor have for it, which I like a lot, because I like playing engineering and having something to do.

If you look at my thread on this sub forum about lore and stuff, I include some lore for station layout, and that particular layout and lore would leave a lot of room for outdoor planting, and give us a reason for spreading some essential seeds and whatever else in wreckage you actually have to explore for.

God I can't wait to play this map, you'll actually feel like you accomplish something each round, and hopefully rounds will play out much longer, so I can finish my engineering projects
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #280081

native plants should be randomised to some extend from round to round.

While the number of sprites will have a more practical limit, there is little limit to the attributes different plants could have in a given round.

Ie: In one round you might go out and find guango fruit that cures space malaria but contains mushroom hallucinagens.
The next round you might immediately find prickled space plums that are highly nutritious but have deadly prickles that mean you can't hold them without botany gloves/need to be cooked to be made safe to eat.

I think that would make it a lot more fun and interesting, in that you're going out to explore and discover what weird and wild alien plants are out there, and every round will have different possibilities.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #280173

the botanists should collect seeds from the wilderness.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #280227

A shitty plastic biodome would be neat. Also why is there a mini beach? Seems pointless. At the very least move the hive, it looks silly on a beach.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #280231

I meant it sort of just to point out a few things

A. the station is near the coast or atleast in walking distance, just for example (not knowing how close the beach even is)

B. Thats super not literally what i am suggesting, new artistic assets can improve it immensely, the hive, that spiderling the palm trees and fake astroturf is just out of existing elements and not representative of planetstation.

Spoiler: