Corruption

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Corruption

Post by onleavedontatme » #273772

Kevinz and Goof keep hassling me to make a more depth plan about this so here is a first attempt. Obviously this needs sprites.

Stage 1:

A small tendril/nest/spire/whatever. It spreads a small amount of the gunk turf around it. It will spawn a monster or two of a single type (goliath/watcher/legion etc), but mostly it will spawn a number of weaker mobs that function akin to AI swarmers, eating plants/bodies/etc. They'll run from player mobs, unless that player is injured, in which case they'll attempt to bring them down. These will be easily managed by one or two people.

http://i.imgur.com/Vh0Uejv.png

Stage 2:

More health, more mobs (and variety of mobs). A series of organic shields will spring up around it to prevent offscreen projectile kills.

http://i.imgur.com/KnxiOpc.png

Stage 3:

The tendril will begin to reproduce, starting the process over. It will also produce stronger mobs (somewhere between megafauna and the random mining ones in terms of strength), and be able to use the goliath tentacle attack to protect itself. Reproducing reducing it to stage 1 again might be a good idea as well.

http://i.imgur.com/rmCczzG.png

All stages:

It will call for help if attacked, alerting mobs nearby.

The mobs it produces might be pulled to form raiding parties against the station.

The turfs will provide negative lighting.

They'll all need to be linked to a subsystem that controls them to prevent exponential growth.

The exact numbers of mobs/how fast/how often they grow will obviously have to scale with population and lots of testing to see how far they get and how fast when a map size is finally settled on.

Hopefully this is enough for someone to code a prototype (and someone to sprite larger tendrils) though.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Re: Corruption

Post by calzilla1 » #273773

Make it so that bigger the tenticle, the better the loot
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #273787

I mentioned this in the map thread, but will there be tendrils on the surface or just lavaland? If so, will they break through from below and risk having a spike punch up into the station itself if the lavaland crew don't go down and clear them out every once in a while?
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #273873

I love that idea. Tendrils start at the Lavaland z-level, growing up to tier 3, whereupon they burst through the roof and spawn a tier 1 tendril directly above on the surface, and if somehow that hits tier 3 the tendril erupts into a tower structure swarming with baddies that also contain a miniboss and PHAT LOOTS.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #274005

ShadowDimentio wrote:I love that idea. Tendrils start at the Lavaland z-level, growing up to tier 3, whereupon they burst through the roof and spawn a tier 1 tendril directly above on the surface, and if somehow that hits tier 3 the tendril erupts into a tower structure swarming with baddies that also contain a miniboss and PHAT LOOTS.
>Complete tower necro chest drops now have to run through 3 zlevels to escape before the tower collapses into a chasm
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #274006

Bombadil wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:I love that idea. Tendrils start at the Lavaland z-level, growing up to tier 3, whereupon they burst through the roof and spawn a tier 1 tendril directly above on the surface, and if somehow that hits tier 3 the tendril erupts into a tower structure swarming with baddies that also contain a miniboss and PHAT LOOTS.
>Complete tower necro chest drops now have to run through 3 zlevels to escape before the tower collapses into a chasm
holy fuck YES
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #274020

Armhulen wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
holy fuck YES

So i'm thinking the tower collapses whenever you grab the "artifact". That way its not oh shit gotta manage my inventory and then hoof it.

Have bits of the ceiling falling down and collapsing only do brute because doing stuns would be even worse with the slowdown brute would do

Maybe give a timer somehow i dont know if thats possible
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #274099

Question I have is will some Tendrils be starting on the planet surface.

If so, what's to prevent someone from rushing north east and killing the Tendrils well before they become a issue?
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #274101

:+1: will start dev work soon
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #274135

Steelpoint wrote:Question I have is will some Tendrils be starting on the planet surface.

If so, what's to prevent someone from rushing north east and killing the Tendrils well before they become a issue?
Nothing.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #274138

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Question I have is will some Tendrils be starting on the planet surface.

Nothing.
That seems to be quite the prudent preventative action, in my opinion.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #274229

I mean you're going to have the jungle in your way, and the jungle won't be an insignificant obstacle, to say nothing of the corruption even at base level. If someone wants to bumrush across the map and try to beat the corruption before it grows let them.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #274934

tbh i dont like the idea of being forced to go and kill tendrils because lol you gotta grind

i wanna be a relaxed hut hippie who smonks weed and eats jungle mushrooms not "shaft miner but this time it's in the jungle"
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #274937

Corruption intensity is decided at roundstart from 1-5. 1 is practically nonexistent, 5 is nightmare mode. If you wanna relax on a 5, well, too bad.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #279505

It seems pretty clear that if SS13 is a place where you can relax, fuck off from your job, and do whatever you want without any real consequences... Planetstation is where you need all hands on deck - sure a few people relaxing won't spell DOOM, but it also means you're not pulling your weight and if enough people just sit around doing nothing then the corruption will overrun the station.

I still wonder if this should just be a MODE in addition to a map. If its not a mode then it seriously need to have a MAJOR influence on how modes are run. You need fewer traitors/lings, weaker antag teams, etc.

Only one that can probably stay untouched is Ops and Rev. Rev is just a giant TDM and so corruption can be a natural "clock" that prevents the round from dragging out. Ops can do their normal thing though I do think it might be fun if they are simply rebranded as a saboteur or expeditionary unit that basically tries to siege the station and ensure the corruption wipes out the crew. Perhaps in this variation Centcom detects the Syndicate presence and sends an evac shuttle X minutes into the round - and the mode basically becomes a fight for survival and trying to be among the few who escape on the shuttle.

As an alternative/supplement it could have a standalone mode in addition to the augmented modes where the corruption is simply more aggressive and it functions like a blob-style cooperative effort against "player controlled" corruption.

The biggest flaw in corruption, as I understand it, is that currently its not that rare for traitors to wipe out most of the crew. If corruption is a serious threat then it won't be hard for traitors to cripple the crew so that a corruption "victory" is inevitable. This will inevitably form the metagame where people will understand that a certain amount of chaos and carnage makes victory impossible and just leads to people giving up really early. Like when two blobs are growing uncontested except here the "loss" could take over 20+ minutes to resolve whereas rampant blobs will usually wrap things up in ~5 minutes. Alternatively if its still possible to beat the corruption back even with a large % of the crew dead, then the issue is that corruption is a non-threat for a mostly intact crew and thus nobody really cares about it since a few dedicated powergamers can handle it on their own.

The best solution I feel, it to make corruption a very serious threat but neuter the antag presence, ideally through numbers and perhaps cutting the easiest murderbone tools (ebow, revolver, etc.).
Last edited by Oldman Robustin on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #279507

as far as I'm concerned, this will be a "Scenario"
"Scenarios" are like maps, but with custom gamemodes that only run in these "Scenarios"

So planetstation + planetstation modes will run in the Planetstation "Scenario"
Current SS13 will be the Space Station "Scenario"

this way everyone is happy.
私は完璧
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #296813

can i just bump this and ask for sprites beecuase this needs to be done?
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #297286

Name it Korruption
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
MimicFaux
Byond Username: MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #321157

Idea of a progression based evil independent of player interaction is something I like a lot.
Kor wrote:...be able to use the goliath tentacle attack to protect itself...
I like to think I inspired this idea.
ImageImageImage