tribal mushroom people

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

tribal mushroom people

Post by bman » #274946

my idea that im also willing to code:

basic premise:

basically, they would be a race of mushroom people that dwell in jungle caves, inside the heart of each cave there is a spot of "rich mycelium" turfs which they start on. they can also disguise themselves as ordinary mushrooms for ambushes and stuff, they arent outright told to kill and they dont have a kill requirement like liggers because they can reproduce through other means that i will detail below.

such mushroom-ple would also have to scavenge and survive, although that task is a bit easier because they are hardened to the elements of the jungle.

a possible prospect is that mushroom people women are able to drop spores on the turf they are on, with varying chemical abilities depending on the type of spores, this would be used mainly to fertilize crops that they farm in their caves. on the flip side, mushroom men are able to disguise but do not have chemical spore abilities. one important feature is that many mushroom people can fertilize ONE mycelium turf to make it into a rich mycelium turf, dropping spores costs nutriment, forcing them to go out and scavenge fruit and meat and stuff.

reproduction:

for mushroom people to create more of their brethren they would have to go out into the jungle and find more caves, female mushrooms have the ability to drop modifieid spores on rich mycelium turfs, young spawns form and the tribe defends them. such spawns should be very valuable to humans because of their very strong healing abilities resulting in competition between the two races. essentially the driving motive of mushroom people is the exploration of land and the maintenance of rich mycelium turfs through

what would be interesting is to fix chemical implants' broken code and then give the crew a box or two of them, special restraints, and very strong weed killer. this way, the crew can incorporate mushroom-men in their base by giving them chemical implants with weed killer in them and also mushroom people slavery NOW. which brings me to the next point:

☼plump helmet man plump helmet man flesh☼ : the flesh of mushroom people can be used to make the BEST drinks in the jungle. as such, "farming" mushroom people would be a very rewarding endeavor because of their chemical producing qualities, the many uses of their spawn and the quality of their flesh, what is not however is the possible resulting revolutions and takeovers of the human base.

fluff:
one thing that should be a thing is that the colour of mushroom people caps is always identical to the colour of the one of the jungle's mushrooms, jungle mushrooms should also have randomized colors so that there is no META to know if a mushroom is a fake fucker wanting to stab you.

im willing to both code and sprite this single handedly
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Re: tribal mushroom people

Post by ShadowDimentio » #274958

Unga my shroom up
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #274965

sprite them and they're in, I've wanted mushroom people for ages.
they MUST be cute.
私は完璧
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #274966

sprite them and they're in, I've wanted mushroom people for ages.
they MUST be cute.
私は完璧
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #274967

Remie Richards wrote:sprite them and they're in, I've wanted mushroom people for ages.
they MUST be cute.
that's all i needed to begin remie

B E G I N N I N G
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #274993

Only if they look like the mushroom dudes from
Spoiler:
Limey wrote:its too late.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #275021

I dont see practically how these will work in real terms from the breif you have given in regards to guarding the young, but mushroom people (non gender sorted please, think androgynous golems) generally just eking out of a lifestyle that can be butchered into fully edible mushroom man flesh sounds good.

- If you want to kind of discuss a 'tutorial' through this ghost mob beside from flavour and having a little tribe going it'd be helpful for its development but for flavour there's nothing wrong with having it there. In the dark under-turf of lavaland they might also be a useful tribe spreading mushrooms (glowshrooms etc) between the rocky outcrops.

- Yeah with the whole inevitable punching memes, it might just be wise to have them be organic golem reskins.

Spoiler:
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #275042

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Image

I dont see practically how these will work in real terms from the breif you have given in regards to guarding the young, but mushroom people (non gender sorted please, think androgynous golems) generally just eking out of a lifestyle that can be butchered into fully edible mushroom man flesh sounds good.

- If you want to kind of discuss a 'tutorial' through this ghost mob beside from flavour and having a little tribe going it'd be helpful for its development but for flavour there's nothing wrong with having it there. In the dark under-turf of lavaland they might also be a useful tribe spreading mushrooms (glowshrooms etc) between the rocky outcrops.

- Yeah with the whole inevitable punching memes, it might just be wise to have them be organic golem reskins.
golems are boring as fuck

> how these will work in real terms

>real terms

REALISM SINCE WHEN

boi i already sprited them and coded their species let me post pics soon
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #275103

Make them like Myconids if they run into the sunlight they burn up and die
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #275135

They should be eusocial and the mushroom princess should be cute.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #275138

You promised mushroom men where are the mushroom men
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #275172

Bman, you're reading too much into 'real terms' as a literal take on realism. What im actually saying is that the mechanics part of the idea is shit from how on earth you are going to make this a gameplay feature as it doesn't seem to be all angles covered though out, especially in the point i mentioned about protecting the young.

Case arguement for using golem as a body base (plus the golems punch force modifier & resistance to damage) is that largely unless you have detailed sprites, its going to be a chalky white fleshy golem wearing a cursed mushroom hat.

Spoiler:
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #275216

Kor wrote:You promised mushroom men where are the mushroom men

because of high water content mushroomwomen are thicc

still stumpy legs cause that's what being a shroom is about
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Bman, you're reading too much into 'real terms' as a literal take on realism. What im actually saying is that the mechanics part of the idea is shit from how on earth you are going to make this a gameplay feature as it doesn't seem to be all angles covered though out, especially in the point i mentioned about protecting the young.

Case arguement for using golem as a body base (plus the golems punch force modifier & resistance to damage) is that largely unless you have detailed sprites, its going to be a chalky white fleshy golem wearing a cursed mushroom hat.
see post above

also what's wrong with having them protect the younguns, the crew will have a motive to butcher shroomlings because of their very super useful properties like maybe healing the majority of the forest's diseases, and the tribe will have to counteract that
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #275269

Let them release spores to create more mycelium.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #275321

Reece wrote:Let them release spores to create more mycelium.
This, and when the tribe is big enough elect a king
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #275731

bman wrote: Image
>child-bearing hips and bountiful breasts

we already have lizard tits, can we just not add more immersion-breaking mammalian features to obvious non-mammals?
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #275740

the "male" sprite should be used for both, since fungi do not have sexes
私は完璧
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #275742

Remie Richards wrote:the "male" sprite should be used for both, since fungi do not have sexes
This.

Gendered mushrooms is the worst idea you've had since the wizard car.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #275746

I like the concept of Female Mushroom People exploring the planet and laying their spore eggs in uncommon cave areas.

This creates a sort of territory system. The Mushrooms need the tiles to be able to reproduce, and is their main strength in that if one dies they can quickly be replaced, thus compensation for their weak technology.

But on the other hand its their biggest weakness, as the Humans covert the spore eggs for their own usage, from healing to possibly other applications that would make getting them very worthwhile.

I wonder if we would see a scenario where the Mushrooms and Miners come to a agreement where the Miners can harvest some egg sites in exchange for leaving the Mushrooms alone. Will the Miners take the deal, or will they break it and try and get the rest of the eggs.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #275760

It's not mitosis but the spore producing funghi class could be termed "Stem-".

Probably should have a list of random mushroom names for them to have.

Caves should stop producing mushroom folk without being doused with spores occasionally. So if you enslave them for labour and produce you need to at least keep them happy enough to not kill themselves/refuse to produce spores. Or rp "persuade" them to do it with violence to lead to miserable tales.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #275772

Fungi are for the most part all part of one larger organism (the mycellium turfs they are spreading) so why not connect all their speech to a hive mind if they do not have mouths so they can talk between themselves. If you want to negotiate with mushies (providing that the mushies are not implicitly hostile, dictated to defend themselves) you have to talk to the mycellium organism itself and therefore all the mushroom people collectively.

Kind of a open comms abductor mechanic.

Spoiler:
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #275864

Remie Richards wrote:the "male" sprite should be used for both, since fungi do not have sexes
there doesn't seem to be a need to have a male/female distinction, so yeah, agreed
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #275880

Qbopper wrote:
there doesn't seem to be a need to have a male/female distinction, so yeah, agreed
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Case arguement for using golem as a body base (plus the golems punch force modifier & resistance to damage) is that largely unless you have detailed sprites, its going to be a chalky white fleshy golem wearing a cursed mushroom hat.
Gee look at that.

Spoiler:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #275884

Nobody cares Fwoosh.
私は完璧
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #276165

hey as long as they can one and two hit guys with their fists im happy
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #276620

but remie mushroomwomen are cute and no one cares that fungi dont have sexes since we already dont do science or realism

if we did this game would be vastly different, fungi not having sexes is not an argument reeeeeeeeeee

also it's mostly for caste separation purposes eg mushroomwomen can drop spores and farm while mushroom men go scavenge and lay traps
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #276680

ThanatosRa wrote:hey as long as they can one and two hit guys with their fists im happy
this, they're not enough like the dark souls mushrooms but FINE.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #276703

Armhulen wrote:
ThanatosRa wrote:hey as long as they can one and two hit guys with their fists im happy
Golem strength punches with baseball bat knockback, the downside is that golems are quite flammable.

Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #276711

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
Golem strength punches with baseball bat knockback, the downside is that golems are quite flammable.
please stop the golem idea

other than that yes
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #276718

Armhulen wrote:
their punches are stronk man

even stronger than golems
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #276722

bman wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
their punches are stronk man

even stronger than golems
Yesssssssssss eheheehe
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #276727

Armhulen wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
please stop the golem idea

other than that yes
Slip of tongue.

Spoiler:
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #276742

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Fungi are for the most part all part of one larger organism (the mycellium turfs they are spreading) so why not connect all their speech to a hive mind if they do not have mouths so they can talk between themselves. If you want to negotiate with mushies (providing that the mushies are not implicitly hostile, dictated to defend themselves) you have to talk to the mycellium organism itself and therefore all the mushroom people collectively.

Kind of a open comms abductor mechanic.
yes but you forget hiveminds are lame as fuck and not interesting in ss13 because they're literally just nodrop headsets.

if you had mobs ACTING like a hivemind that'd be the case but if not then it's just a nodrop headsets with infinite range
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276758

I mentioned spores for communication as a joke but what if you actually did it

Nearby fungi could receive messages quickly, but over long distances it might take time for the spores to travel

Dunno how indepth you'd wanna go with it but that could be a unique system
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #276762

Sprite a mouth then, if fungi are going to be spreading out wide and far to drop mycellium/do fungi things without technology then a cheaty mushroom channel isn't that bad. Its not terribad if its the only channel mushrooms can speak on, abductors use the same thing virtually.
Qbopper wrote:I mentioned spores for communication as a joke but what if you actually did it

Nearby fungi could receive messages quickly, but over long distances it might take time for the spores to travel

Dunno how indepth you'd wanna go with it but that could be a unique system
Dropped spore structures become listening posts. Go on.

Spoiler:
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276766

this is a much cooler idea than having mushroom people talk and if bman doesn't steal it i'll be very sad
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #276773

Qbopper wrote:this is a much cooler idea than having mushroom people talk and if bman doesn't steal it i'll be very sad
silent beings make communication a lot harder which is good because there's supposed to be tension between the natives and Captain Christopher
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #276774

Just to re-iterate where is the tribe taking place (underground or above ground/variable?/both with some way to traverse between the two with ladders?) and how do they feed themselves?

It could just be carbon mob avatar blob (rhymes heh) with mushroom people creating a larger network & barring off areas with spongy wriggly calcified blob masses for walls, while dropping a resource node every now and again that sucks up nutrients & whatever is nearby it (dead bodies turning into husks/local food being consumed) into the mycellium network that lets you plant more things.

Passive builder ash-walkers if that's not too unimaginative.

Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #276778

OH I HAVE AN IDEA

One or two of the shroom people are translators and can talk to the hive and normies
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276835

Armhulen wrote:OH I HAVE AN IDEA

One or two of the shroom people are translators and can talk to the hive and normies
I like the idea but I don't want the mushroom men to talk

Maybe have one or two "elders" who can read/write Common (for lack of a better term) and understand the crew? They've been around for longer so they've met with other crash survivors/whatever and learned the language when they were super young? idk
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #276840

Well we have to make it maybe slightly possible for anything other than bloodshed so
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276841

mushrooms have no blood

checkmate, frog
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #276847

Qbopper wrote:mushrooms have no blood

checkmate, frog
you won't get away with this
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #276890

i wanna be a mushroom man. i will cast fungi spells that curse people by putting a mushroom on their head that reverses their controls and they have to either wait for it to fall off or have somebody pluck it off their head for them. then they can eat the plucked off mushroom for a health boost!
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #276924

Qbopper wrote: can read/write Common (for lack of a better term)
As of the merger of the Language Datum PR, the language spoken in game is in fact bay/vg english+mandarin "Galactic Common"
So it's the best and most correct term!
私は完璧
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #276926

Remie Richards wrote:
Qbopper wrote: can read/write Common (for lack of a better term)
As of the merger of the Language Datum PR, the language spoken in game is in fact bay/vg english+mandarin "Galactic Common"
So it's the best and most correct term!
We belters now? Oye kopeng
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #276928

from the syllables list (used for speech you can't understand), you could have koupeng but not kopeng :^)
私は完璧
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276967

Does the language PR cover written text or only spoken word? I assume spoken word which puts a hole in my idea
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #276969

Spoken as far as i am aware, formatting for written word (changing your writing style would be silly) differences is something you could take up with coiax but nothing mentioned so far.

Spoiler:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #276984

well, there is no written language in SS13, not even on bay I don't believe.
if you're human, you can read it, if you're an animal or a robot you get "s*me te*t li*e *his" instead.

I'm not sure how feasible localising actual text would be (Ok so, books, paper, newscasters, computer UIs, uplinks, etc) so I don't believe it can even be solved nicely.
私は完璧