Is it dead?

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Is it dead?

Post by PKPenguin321 » #286126

Remie left, so no multi-z layers, at least not for a long while (why cruel god fucking why i want to die)

I havent heard any update on the map size byond limitations

The project doesn't seem to be fully feasible without these, what's the status on them being resolved?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Is it dead?

Post by D&B » #286137

Just because Remie had another bitch fit and left doesn't mean the project is dead.

Many other coders have expressed interest in seeing this through and I'd wager they're experienced enough to cover the slack
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #286178

Multi z would have let you see down into a chasm to what is below. We can still have stacked layers it just wont be as visually exciting.

MSO is working on trying to figure out why byond memory usage is high.

Both MSO and Cyberboss have done work on load times.

The map loads, just slowly. Whether or not it is dead now depends on if people wander back after the freeze or not.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #286192

The freeze really killed excitement and what happened with remie?
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #286197

The 'am I passive aggressive and mean' thread
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #286201

TheColdTurtle wrote:The 'am I passive aggressive and mean' thread
Never saw it was it deleted?

D&B

Post by D&B » #286202

Bombadil wrote:
Basically crag called them passive aggressive and mean and they made a poll and people voted "yes you are" and they left.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #286213

D&B wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Basically crag called them passive aggressive and mean and they made a poll and people voted "yes you are" and they left.
Is crag banned now for bullying?

J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #286219

lots of people are dependant on me - this takes up time. Not many people work hands on with projects.

And yes, Remie quitting has put a massive dent in the future of my own project even though it was mapped. I will have to also have someone assist me in creating the zlevel structure and game sequences, not to mention the content and bosses.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #286226

lmao what
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #286228

Kor you forgot to log off your second account
TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #286232

What in the fuck did he mean by this?
Lexorion
Byond Username: Lexorion
Github Username: Lexorion

Post by Lexorion » #286243

PKPenguin321 wrote:Remie left, so no multi-z layers, at least not for a long while (why cruel god fucking why i want to die)
It should be possible to port the multi-z layer system from CEV-Eris (the russian coderbase you made a thread about) I guess/hope. We'll see!
danno

Post by danno » #286245

multiple people are working on multi-z as far as I am aware
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #286279

J_Madison wrote:lots of people are dependant on me - this takes up time. Not many people work hands on with projects.

And yes, Remie quitting has put a massive dent in the future of my own project even though it was mapped. I will have to also have someone assist me in creating the zlevel structure and game sequences, not to mention the content and bosses.
danno wrote:lmao what
TheColdTurtle wrote:What in the fuck did he mean by this?
but yeah I figure the freeze was the big killer, I don't think the project is dead though considering the freeze just finished
Limey wrote:its too late.
D&B

Post by D&B » #286341

J_Madison wrote:lots of people are dependant on me - this takes up time. Not many people work hands on with projects.

What de fug : DDDD
Spoiler:
fuck you
danno

Post by danno » #286354

jmad are you ok?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #286395

Bombadil wrote:
D&B wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Is crag banned now for bullying?
Nope I wasn't punished at all
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #286419

the reason why I haven't talked much about my project (even though it was always going to be shadowed by Kor's project) is because of more personal reasons.

I'm sure this is also why Kor hasn't made public progress too.

My personal reasons were listed. Things are going to be difficult for me because of my personal burdens.

But even if my burdens were alleviated, many ideas and concepts will be delayed or flat out not included because Remie has quit.

And after all of this, I will still need to find a coder to work directly with me.
The issue I have with a lot of contributors helping on projects is they have no direction and they want to do things their way.
I'll have to direct the code harder than Scorsese directed De Niro in taxi driver.

I can't attract coders or spriters to my projects like others can; I'm an outsider and an enigma to most of tgstation.
I handled all of my projects and ideas by powering through and hiring people.
I want to make my project with good structure, good sequences loading in and ending the game, I wanted to have bosses that really scared you when you left the woods.

no danno. no i'm not okay. talk to me.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #286422

Why does this project need multi-z levels?

Isn't it a big enough project without them?

I would seriously consider making an effort to reduce feature creep if you guys want this project realized.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
danno

Post by danno » #286463

*sweating profusely*
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #286488

Don't mean to be rude but we shouldn't lean entirely on design leads to arrange everything like this, just as we've seen with Remie for risk of it falling down or even yourself Kor if anything at a future date stalls or throws this out of sync. I mean i've already revived a counter-idea thread of my own that dips toes into planetstation with just suggesting another mining map with some 'terrestrial features' & temperature to be a test of how it could be pulled off.

I mean im not one to talk since im just a humble lurker & commentator but we need a proper atmospheric enviroment and to know the limits of the atmos system practically, more intelligent mobs that run off (which was remie's forte' with that swarmer boss that ate rocks and then replicated like mad) chasms & layout. All things we can work on independently in the existing game scope like goof's PR to allow us to bridge over chasms.

Even if its slower and this design subforum is put on ice for anything but describing what we want to be like rather than practical progress we know what the goal is and can edge towards it one test merge and hopefully success of a feature at a time then mix the ingredients together into planetstation rather than map it out like madmen and rush to the end.

Spoiler:
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #293429

I don't mean to be rude but, what the fuck is J_Mad on about and can he fuck off
TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #293431

NikNakFlak wrote:I don't mean to be rude
Top ten lies ever told
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #293460

The feature freeze killed the project stone dead, remie going away was just the icing on top of the cake.
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #293463

Is there hope?
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #293486

Seriously guys, just work towards a minimal viable prototype if you want projects like this to succeed.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #293496

A playable prototype of this would require ~100 hours of mapping, so I'd rather do all the minor stuff that fills out the world first.

That way if I give up or lose interest that stuff can at least be used elsewhere in the game. Even if I stopped at this point most of what I made could easily be used in lavaland (or by the FTL13 guys)

Also this community is very often unforgiving and enough people actively want to see this fail that I don't feel comfortable releasing a prototype that isnt "perfect"
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #293553

Inperfect people playing an imperfect game..
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #293679

TheColdSlime wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:I don't mean to be rude
Top ten lies ever told
see signature
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #293684

Kor wrote:A playable prototype of this would require ~100 hours of mapping, so I'd rather do all the minor stuff that fills out the world first.

That way if I give up or lose interest that stuff can at least be used elsewhere in the game. Even if I stopped at this point most of what I made could easily be used in lavaland (or by the FTL13 guys)

Also this community is very often unforgiving and enough people actively want to see this fail that I don't feel comfortable releasing a prototype that isnt "perfect"
What actual mapping needs to be done, specifically? For just prototyping/testing, it should be fairly easy to whip something up very basic and crude, yet functional.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #293686

this thread was specifically about the concerns in the OP i dont know what you guys are talking about anymore

Remie came back so the first thing is looking good but the byond limitations concern still hasn't been fixed afaik
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #293709

lumipharon wrote:
Kor wrote:A playable prototype of this would require ~100 hours of mapping, so I'd rather do all the minor stuff that fills out the world first.

What actual mapping needs to be done, specifically? For just prototyping/testing, it should be fairly easy to whip something up very basic and crude, yet functional.
A multi z station and the surrounding area.

But people throw a fucking fit when they get a box variant they don't like they though so I don't want to put out a rushed map and sour everyones first impression. Has to be better than just functional
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #293714

Do you actually have people working on the map or not? I thought you had a lot of volunteers?
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #293717

All my volunteers except the spriters* wandered off during the freeze and lost interest so I'm going to have to make the map myself eventually when I'm done with the mobs etc

*Remie is still working on the multi z thing but that isn't specifically for planetstation
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #293718

it's almost like the freeze strangled any enthusiasm for the project

:THINKING:
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #293753

I'm sad I've been watching this from the begining and always supported it, whats wrong with somefing new?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #293772

I'm glad it's dead
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #293803

This is why you focus on your own unique selling points. The rest is all details that can be added later.

You really need to think what the core aspect is that makes planet station more interesting than regular ss13 and present that concept to the playerbase.
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #293806

CPTANT wrote:Meaningless arbitrary bullshit
fixed
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #293821

Haevacht wrote:
CPTANT wrote:Meaningless arbitrary bullshit
fixed
Yeah, not like the project is suffering from serious feature bloat and waning interest at all.

And it wouldn't benefit at all from a playable prototype.

Nope.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #293850

How can something that is still mostly conceptual suffer from feature bloat
Most of the reasons for the project were laid out in the original thread. People won't be moved by a prototype, if anything they'll just bitch that it sucks because it isn't final
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #294020

It's not like we need a public server functioning prototype, literally something to alpha test these features and shit yo.

Even a 5 story plain box of station with all the important bits copy pasted in, and a desolate wasteland of a planet would be sufficient.
Why?
Because that's just a design thing that can be easily changed in the future, but all the actual coding based features and shit are what would actually need testing, for function/balance/FUN.
TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #294393

PostThis post was deleted by Oranges on Mon May 15, 2017 4:16 pm.
Reason: kill yourself
PostThis post was deleted by NikNakFlak on Mon May 15, 2017 10:00 pm.

What did they mean by this?
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #294408

Sorry but my point still stands nicky
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #296524

wtf lol multi z was done by methed out russians (and randy) years ago

it is seriously some of the easiest code ever

you guys are fucking punks
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #296545

As has been said a million times, the methed out russian's multiz code is garbage.
私は完璧
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #296551

paprika wrote:wtf lol multi z was done by methed out russians (and randy) years ago

it is seriously some of the easiest code ever

you guys are fucking punks
funny coming from someone who's biggest acheivement was getting into fights with steelpoint over fashion
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #296604

Remie Richards wrote:As has been said a million times, the methed out russian's multiz code is garbage.
can you give an actual reason why you're calling closed-source code garbage, when it actually works perfectly fine in-game? i'm not exactly a pedo simulator 2015 expert, but from what i've seen there's nothing wrong with it, besides the lag caused by the servers being hosted in a siberian nuclear bunker.
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #296605

I was talking about the open source, Russian mutliz shitcode.

But thanks for jumping to a conclusion.
私は完璧