Indigenous life

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Indigenous life

Post by Wyzack » #292174

We need to re-drum up hype and ideas for the project now that the freeze is over.

I am wondering what the state of the planet natives will be like. I can only assume we are not planning on cutting our myriad ghost roles that we currently have for lava land, and I know there was talk of mushroom people natives. But what about lifebringers and ashwalkers? Before there was not really any issue of the ashwalkers leaving lavaland because the only way they can do this is by going through cargo, which draws natural conflict. However now the station will be surrounded by a great deal of wilderness that they hide away in and ambush people or plan an attack on the station.

Should we bother trying to discourage this at all? Maybe something like they can roam freely in the night but get burned in direct sunlight when on the surface? (assuming day/night cycle gets coded). How many points of egress from lavaland to the surface will there be, is it possible we can keep our existing system simply by having the only way up and down from the caverns be in the mining station area?

Could MMMiriacles dorfs (please for the love of god dont stop coding this) be an actually indigenous species, perhaps abhuman descendednts of ancient explorers, rather than just a sick Dorf Fort ref? Should we code a variant of ashwalkers that is just a normal lizardfolk tribe that lives on the surface, perhaps with agricultural means for reproduction rather than needing corpses, like maybe a tendril type structure that takes plant mass to encourage agriculture?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Re: Indigenous life

Post by Nilons » #292175

What about merging ashwalkers with the crash landed convicts, have like a little tribe of ghost role people who can finally put use to the tribal crafting menu?
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #292178

i have the mushroom people branch still but never got around to finishing it.

the race itself is done so yeah
Toroic
Byond Username: Toroic

Post by Toroic » #292240

We only need 4 ashlands roles, and should keep only the good ones.

1) Golems
2) Lifebringers
3) Ashwalkers
4) Dorfs (WIP)

No reason to keep the crap options.
Unprofessional Catgirl and Straightboy Supreme.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #292246

There could be massive trees/vines or a hole in a cliff that is essentially one of the magical teleporting '''ladders''' we currently have, that teleport players between z-levels. These ladders could be randomly placed and obscured by trees and whatnot, adding a requirement of exploration and difficulty to substitute for the mining shuttle.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.