Station Map

Discussing the mapping/spriting/coding efforts involved in creating a version of SS13 that takes place on a planet surface. Will be finished Soon(TM)
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Re: Station Map

Post by Okand37 » #364425

Bottom post of the previous page:

Not a lot, but as most people seemed warm to the idea of the waste disposal line running through the custodial storage room, I decided to move the janitor's office close to cargo and add the waste disposal line. The chasm will lead down to the second level underground to a small trash compactor room of sorts.

Upper Level:
Spoiler:
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #365333

It has been a productive few days, but I've managed to draft and create most of the engineering department's structure, which will be predominantly featured on the surface level. Some minor things still need to be finished (ie: the atmospheric airlock, maintenance doors, so on and so forth) but a majority of the layout is there. Atmospherics will have access to the engineering desk or "foyer" room to access the department protolathe. The line of delivery tiles behind the firelocks near the entrance will feature a set of shutters to seal the engineering department from being entered without using maintenance.

Upper Level (Engineering):
Spoiler:
Upper Level (Atmospherics):
Spoiler:
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #365335

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Kor wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:>Armory has a wall pressed up against main/the outside

Not ok. The rest looks good though.
The three main maps in rotation (box/meta/delta) all have an armory bordering space though.
Space requires special equipment to enter and not die to, the outside on planetstation has no such requirement (as far as I know).

As for the other stuff, I like the designs but the library/bar and hydro are EXTREMELY cramped. Imagine 3 botanists trying to work in that space, or 5 people bumbling around in the bar. Just not much room to move without running into someone.
Shadow has a point. One of the old Bay box-variant maps had the armory backed right up against a dead-end maintenance tunnel that went to one of the solars and basically nowhere else, and it was trivial to break into the armory as the janitor or some shit. Moving the maint tunnel a couple of tiles to the left and putting a single row of space tiles separating them at least made it take some effort to get in there.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #365337

Screemonster wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:
Kor wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:>Armory has a wall pressed up against main/the outside

Not ok. The rest looks good though.
The three main maps in rotation (box/meta/delta) all have an armory bordering space though.
Space requires special equipment to enter and not die to, the outside on planetstation has no such requirement (as far as I know).

As for the other stuff, I like the designs but the library/bar and hydro are EXTREMELY cramped. Imagine 3 botanists trying to work in that space, or 5 people bumbling around in the bar. Just not much room to move without running into someone.
Shadow has a point. One of the old Bay box-variant maps had the armory backed right up against a dead-end maintenance tunnel that went to one of the solars and basically nowhere else, and it was trivial to break into the armory as the janitor or some shit. Moving the maint tunnel a couple of tiles to the left and putting a single row of space tiles separating them at least made it take some effort to get in there.
It doesn't have its back to a maintenance tunnel or the outside at its back, it's filler space (see: map in progress) and is subject to change.
PantherPusher
Byond Username: PantherPusher

Post by PantherPusher » #365350

What's the planet atmosphere like?
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #365354

PantherPusher wrote:What's the planet atmosphere like?
Best example is lavaland's atmosphere. You'll need oxygen if you want to be able to breath outside, but otherwise pressure won't be an issue. Not quite sure exactly how water will play out, but to my assumption it'll essentially be like space but it doesn't transfer its atmosphere to the surrounding land-I could be wrong, though.
PantherPusher
Byond Username: PantherPusher

Post by PantherPusher » #365514

Okand37 wrote: Best example is lavaland's atmosphere. You'll need oxygen if you want to be able to breath outside, but otherwise pressure won't be an issue. Not quite sure exactly how water will play out, but to my assumption it'll essentially be like space but it doesn't transfer its atmosphere to the surrounding land-I could be wrong, though.
Is the heat exchanger system for the engine built with an outdoor atmosphere that is not space in mind?
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #365603

PantherPusher wrote:
Okand37 wrote: Best example is lavaland's atmosphere. You'll need oxygen if you want to be able to breath outside, but otherwise pressure won't be an issue. Not quite sure exactly how water will play out, but to my assumption it'll essentially be like space but it doesn't transfer its atmosphere to the surrounding land-I could be wrong, though.
Is the heat exchanger system for the engine built with an outdoor atmosphere that is not space in mind?
The idea is that the water will function similarly to space in regards to temperature for the pipes, so the water will "cool" the pipes like space regularly would.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #371087

As a bit of a footnote, I'd like to start off by saying that the map has been being worked on, and is actually nearing completion of the planning stage. The upper level, excusing a few instances of small unfinished closets, maintenance areas, and a few missing doors, is about ready to move onto the next stage. Power wiring, atmospheric piping, wall equipment, spawners, etc. will come as apart of this "next stage." Once the lower level is ready to move onto this completion stage as well, I might post a few more pictures. For now, here's a (poorly) cropped picture of the medical and science upper level areas. Virology and the morgue will be featured on the lower medical level, and science's xenobiology will be featured on the science lower level.

Upper Level (Medical):
Spoiler:
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #371090

>heads of staff have a private office section
yessssSSSS
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
letshavecake
Byond Username: Letshavecake

Post by letshavecake » #372702

That cargo looks so comfy
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #372727

Cmon, the geneticists should have to go into the jungle to get their monkeys.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #372736

See about making the maint z-level randomized at roundstart so exploring is an actual thing that happens down there.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #378308

The engine room looks really cramped. Is it not possible to make it 3 tiles wide instead of a 2-tile corridor of a room?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #399318

As a note, the project is still receiving attention and the station is still being worked on. Although there aren't really any new major pictures to share, a majority of the upper level has been completed. This includes areas, powernet, piping, wall equipment, landmarks, and other important tidbits that were not previously on the map.

In the mean time, here are some (poorly taken) pictures of the chapel and the upper-level bridge!

Upper Level (Bridge/Command Hall)
Spoiler:
Upper Level (Chapel)
Spoiler:
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #399393

After taking a look at the upper level of the science department, I've decided to start reworking some of the layout to bring the department closer together and to help it feel more natural in its organisation as opposed to forced. Starting with the entry area which includes the security post, the robotics lab, and research & development, here is a comparison of the old and new versions.

Science Foyer (Old)
Spoiler:
Science Foyer (New)
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #399395

I'm worried there's too much stuff here, should I be? @kor?
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #399719

Aside from some minor kinks to iron out and finish, most of the upper level area of the research/science department is finished/reorganized! To note, the rest of science (xenobiology, toxins, and circuitry) will be featured on the lower level of the station. The experimentor room was compacted a bit to fit with the rest of the theme and account for the change in the entryway.

Upper level (Science)
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #468283

fat necro but we have multi z in the code now, has anybody looked at how it might interact with the mapping for this?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #468288

If the brig doesn't have a walkway over the top for the warden to yeet people into the cells then it's a missed opportunity
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #476839

throwback
Spoiler:
nullbear
Byond Username: Nullbear

Post by nullbear » #476844

nice.
Addust
Byond Username: Addust

Post by Addust » #623007

Will there be a White Ship or White Ship equivalent?
I play as Addust Johnson, the whiteship-addicted explorer, and the Anonymous Syndicate Rep, indirect cause of several raids.

Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #623029

nice necro bro
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #623047

it's weird how the dream of a station on a planetary body was finally realised when they added ass to box and nobody batted an eyelid. we did have startoad's junglestation fork back in the day but after trying it out most people passed. the expectation vs. reality concept art pkpenguin posted does make you feel like this was going to be something special but any new map feels like that and then you play it and it's just more of the same
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #623438

cacogen wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:26 am it's weird how the dream of a station on a planetary body was finally realised when they added ass to box and nobody batted an eyelid. we did have startoad's junglestation fork back in the day but after trying it out most people passed. the expectation vs. reality concept art pkpenguin posted does make you feel like this was going to be something special but any new map feels like that and then you play it and it's just more of the same
Well, I was headmin alongside Kor and as you'd expect from headminning up with the design lead we spent long evenings talking about planetstation. Icebox doesn't have anything that planetstation was intended to be, long story short. Planetstation was about many things, but one of the main ideas was the time crunch. Defend the crashed ship outpost. Divert power to ruins to access them and progress. Hold off periodic waves of tribals, which then ramped up as the boundaries were covered with a "creep area" of dark goop that enclosed the station. Fix the teleporter to leave, which requires a lot more power than you start with. And so on. The big idea was that everyone on the station actually had a part in the mission to escape, not just exist until something goes wrong as the traditional ss13 experience would serve.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #623585

The dream of putting the station on a planet died so long ago that I've forgotten why we were hyped for it in the first place, to tell you the truth. I remember posting in a huge thread about it back in the day and I remember StarToad's humble attempt at bringing it to life, but the stuff you're describing doesn't really ring a bell, aside from the existence of tribals which sounds familiar (reminds me a bit of the colonists or whatever in Lifeweb too, except those weren't necessarily hostile).

But it does sound unusually engaging for an SS13 round, assuming you could get it to work. It sounds a bit like Colonial Marines, but those rounds can be sort of a mess and filled with pointless downtime instead of what you're describing which sounds very intentionally paced.

I think though that even if you could get it working so each round had the same kind of time-intensity curve people would eventually get bored of it and pine for the more open-ended SS13 experience. As its own gamemode or something specific to that map it might've worked though.

Generally speaking, I wish there was less tedium in rounds and more of the set piece moments the game sometimes produces. But death would have to be less consequential for that to happen.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #633925

cacogen wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:26 am it's weird how the dream of a station on a planetary body was finally realised when they added ass to box and nobody batted an eyelid. we did have startoad's junglestation fork back in the day but after trying it out most people passed. the expectation vs. reality concept art pkpenguin posted does make you feel like this was going to be something special but any new map feels like that and then you play it and it's just more of the same
icebox is cool, really cool in fact, but not even close to the original concept for planetstation. that shit was gonna be multi-multi-z, we're talking up and down z levels with a bunch of z levels (z level in the classic sense) adjacent to the station in every direction
it's a real shame it didn't shake out. i think the biggest thing aside from all the new mechanics to support it (which we pretty much have for all the big ones, like up-down-z levels) the largest hurdle would probably have been mapping. icebox is one classical z level in width and height, and having an up-down-z basically doubled the size of it and made it a lot trickier to map. imagine another z going up: that would triple it. now imagine on every vertical z you have 8 more z levels to make a 3x3x3 cube of z levels and you've got 9 box stations worth of mapping, with the vast majority of them not taking place on a station, meaning there isn't really an existing example or model to base them off of. it is reminiscent of designing a whole ass open world game.
but goddamn could you imagine? trekking out of the station as a traitor, cutting through the jungle, swimming over to the AI island. even just that implies so many cool things we could add. all kinds of alien jungle threats, machetes and shit to get through em, underwater gear like maybe a whole ass scuba suit and sharks and shit (hostile fish could be "regular carp" lol)
its fun to think about because its hard not to be creative with it. but actually making it is just a looooooot of shit you have to do. maybe some day
Spoiler: