[EVENT] The Warzone

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

[EVENT] The Warzone

Post by Stickymayhem » #390968

An all-out war against the Syndicate on neutral ground; after a recruitment drive arrives to round up able-bodied crew, they are put through boot camp, thrust into deathsquads and sent out to annihilate the syndicate forces and detonate their base of operations.

This event is set on a barren asteroid or planet surface. Scattered across the surface are small outposts with syndicate mob spawners, each led by a PC Syndicate Commander. NT Crew who volunteer to join the recruitment shuttle will be whisked to boot camp where they will be briefly trained, armed up and sent out to take on the hordes of syndies. At the other end of this map, a reasonably elaborate Syndicate HQ will need destroying, but their defenses will be strong. A full-frontal assault, stealth mission or artillery fire are potential ways to resolve this scenario.

The map and actual gameplay are fairly straight forward to put together, but the reason for the conflict is still missing, along with some snazzy characters. If you've got any idea throw em out.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Re: [EVENT] The Warzone

Post by XDTM » #391010

Idea for the backstory:
A syndicate supply stronghold has finally been located by NT corporate spies. It's one of the hubs that distribute TC equipment to covert traitors. NT, obviously, wants it gone NOW, without bureaucracy getting in the way, and is sending their secret corporate mercenaries to get the job done.

The syndicate side would have access to tons of miscellaneous equipment from their stores (which translates to free tc in game terms). The base would be fortifies and protected by a few guards, turrets and maybe some emergency mechs in a hangar. There may be some syndicate non-strictly-combat roles tasked with warehouse management.

NT would have a base/landed shuttle camp out of sight of the stronghold, where mercenaries have some supplies and production capabilities, as well as their medbay. Landing pods could bring in latejoiner/respawning reinforcements.

The syndicate base would surely have a self destruct to cover their tracks, mercenaries would need to trigger it. The syndicate would have to accumulate enough tc's worth of equipment to recover from their financial losses, and only then escape (engaging the self destruct). Alternatively they could destroy the intruders' ship and location beacon, making their position unknown again.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #391067

>secret corporate mercenaries
>implying deaf squids are secret
Stickymayhem wrote:A full-frontal assault, stealth mission or artillery fire are potential ways to resolve this scenario.
How do you propose arty will work? Will there be any way to defend against it short of bullrushing the guns/launchers, leaving your fort unprotected?
As for stealth, how is that going to be implemented? The only real ways to hide in a game where you have a 360° FOV are cloaking devices or disguises, both of which will generate loads of salt and complaints of being OP.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #391153

DemonFiren wrote:>secret corporate mercenaries
>implying deaf squids are secret
Stickymayhem wrote:A full-frontal assault, stealth mission or artillery fire are potential ways to resolve this scenario.
How do you propose arty will work? Will there be any way to defend against it short of bullrushing the guns/launchers, leaving your fort unprotected?
As for stealth, how is that going to be implemented? The only real ways to hide in a game where you have a 360° FOV are cloaking devices or disguises, both of which will generate loads of salt and complaints of being OP.
Artillery path would be a zone based option. Capture and hold the blue space artillery outposts against syndicate infiltration teams. Then you can blast the outpost to shut before entering.

Stealth would probably revolve around mining through dangerous areas dealing with mobs on the way, resulting in a breach from behind the embedded base allowing him to avoid their main defensive line.

They just have to allow options, players can decide between one or all of these, or come up with their own plan entirely. The more routes the better.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #391223

This deviates from the event some, but here's my idea.

Places that need to be mapped:
1) War zone. Like sticky said, a barren wasteland for the most part with syndicate outposts and a somewhat elaborate HQ preferably with multiple routes to get to it but an obvious "front line"
2) Nanotrasen space cruiser: Contains a huge BSA cannon. Could be manned by player character crew. Only issue is there's no ammo and the beacon needs to be set down at the base for it to blow up. Ammo would have to be taken from the Syndicate

Things to be coded:
1) Mainly the BSA/ammo/beacon

Leaves several routes for the players to choose- They can do a frontal attack, or try going around the back, or skip the assault altogether and arm the BSA and slap down a beacon.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #391228

BeeSting12 wrote:This deviates from the event some, but here's my idea.

Places that need to be mapped:
1) War zone. Like sticky said, a barren wasteland for the most part with syndicate outposts and a somewhat elaborate HQ preferably with multiple routes to get to it but an obvious "front line"
2) Nanotrasen space cruiser: Contains a huge BSA cannon. Could be manned by player character crew. Only issue is there's no ammo and the beacon needs to be set down at the base for it to blow up. Ammo would have to be taken from the Syndicate

Things to be coded:
1) Mainly the BSA/ammo/beacon

Leaves several routes for the players to choose- They can do a frontal attack, or try going around the back, or skip the assault altogether and arm the BSA and slap down a beacon.
I have had some success with syndiebombs loaded into mass drivers as a fun interactive artillery option on shuttles.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #391239

Is there any plan to make the already existing BSA play into this (or other events) somehow? I believe it currently uses gps beacons/locators, which you could have people stealth around placing them to fire from the station?
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #391240

We could salvage a bunch of ideas from CM for this, like the BSA needing a locator thrown like a grenade onto a location to get a lock and fire. You wouldn't need any esoteric steps, just get close enough to throw a locator in and let the ship fire, but if there are still enough people there and it isn't being contested hard, the syndies could just grab the locator and run it away from the base before the ship fires.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #391247

ShadowDimentio wrote:We could salvage a bunch of ideas from CM for this, like the BSA needing a locator thrown like a grenade onto a location to get a lock and fire. You wouldn't need any esoteric steps, just get close enough to throw a locator in and let the ship fire, but if there are still enough people there and it isn't being contested hard, the syndies could just grab the locator and run it away from the base before the ship fires.
That's a great way to combine artillery with a ground force actually. Multiple groups coordinating like that could be cool.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #391251

I'm down for something like this if done right so I don't want to be a pessimist, but how do you balance simplemobs vs carbon mobs.

If we had snpcs then this would already be solved even if they had infinite ammo however how will healing work? Do they get stimpacks, is there a designated medic, will defibs be more effective?

I have seen people on private servers try to fight simplemobs. Most of the people I have seen are shit or get overwhelmed with the standard items they get, even if they wear cargo swat armor. Another annoying issue is that syndi mobs explode on death except a few so if you give them something that doesn't recharge or have a shit ton of ammo then halfway through they'll probably be forced to use melee against the infinite ammo simplemob(s)

If you're gonna include a final boss-esque character then make it have something more complex than 'fight he in normal combat' because whenever I do a boss fight at centcom, I have to give the boss adrenaline, antistun (doesn't even work), and antidrop/cursed items because people love stuns.

EDIT: If someone says how to get good against simplemobs and their strategy is 'kite' or 'space them' then that is literally lazy as hell if the event requires that as a strategy instead of being paced properly where you can actually have firefights and not be going:

'im almost dead rip too many simplemobs rushing me' collapses from stamina bullet damage which some simplemobs like nanotrasen private sec can do for some reason wtf

EDIT 2: Just so he doesn't think I'm dissing him because i made this edit as soon as he made his post, shadowdimentio that does sound like a nice idea tbh
Last edited by Ayy Lemoh on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #391252

We can cannibalize some blob code and have a syndie commander or something commanding them so that the simplemobs aren't quite so mindless, though there would need to be some additional commands for selecting groups more intuitively and commands like defend/patrol/attack.

Pair this with a few field commanders with similar but lessened versions of this, a squad to control and an actual body in the fight and I think this can be pretty tacticool. Oh, and the syndies will need some fancy guns that pass through other syndies like the smartguns do on CM, otherwise it's gonna be a fucking clusterfuck of the simplemobs with guns constantly killing each other from friendly fire and walking in front of the commander as they're firing.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #391260

Simple mobs can absolutely be fun.

For this event in particular, players will get the good shit, including second-life stuff like survival pens, medics, implants and so on. They would clear mobs as a group in between "Encounters" and each encounter will have a different scenario based on their chosen objectives. Maybe they have to set up barricades and hold off a swarm of mobs, or defend an artillery outpost as a small nuke op team comes in to try and blow it up. There's a lot of ways to use mobs as filler in between the real PvP moments.

The use of ranged syndie mobs would probably limited anyway, because they friendly fire so much. I'm thinking more like ranged player syndies with a frontline meathshield of melee troopers, with occasional ranged units in the filler between encounters.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #391261

Hence the CM smartgun type thing so that the ranged simplemobs aren't constantly killing friendlies. If nothing else the player controlled ones need an anti-FF gun
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #391394

Simplemobs are incredibly strong (unlimited buckshot SMGs, stun immune, chem immune, mostly atmos immune) and it's only balanced out by their brainlessness, as much as I would enjoy Literally An RTS for the syndies the individual mobs would need to be much less well-equipped than your average nukie.
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #391401

The various non-combat crew are the simple mobs controlled by the commander, with a handful of player controlled guards who have access to the various tools and defense structures. Give the simple mobs things like E-Daggers, maybe a pistol for the ranged mobs. With that no FF modifier, just for safety sake. Player controlled guards get access to pretty much any traitor toy, plus a few things, like a mini turret to drop down in choke points, syndicate MULEs that move slowly but defend the driver, and manned turrets. Machinegun mounted trucks defending the outpost would be neat.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #391673

Silly thought but maybe give the PC syndie commanders a good number of options to customize their loadout. The idea being giving them an option to be a memorable enemy.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Captain277
Byond Username: Captain277

Post by Captain277 » #396826

I'm interested in building the map for the actual War Zone. I've currently got a 50x100 canvas I'm using, but I'm fine with enlarging that if need be. Before I go too far, these are the Central Command DDO Assault Barges I've just kinda thrown together. The one on the left, in my head, could function as the initial transport ferry for the Squad. The smaller one is a loose concept still, that should arrive at the same time as the main barge. In my head, the small one will be where the Artillery fire missions are carried out, and should function as an early-game defense objective for CentCom forces.
I'll be building walls around these next, to give the appearance that they've blasted through the wall of this hollow asteroid and have anchored themselves into the rock. After I've built the external walls, I plan on building a sort of maze for this area that leads to the first open zones on the map. This should allow stealth to be an option, and create heavy corridors for fire on either end if the assault team goes loud. Anyhow, let me know if it's what you're looking for, or if you want things changed. Input is always appreciated.
Spoiler:
I tried to embed the image, but it's saying it can't determine the photo dimensions, so here's the link instead. https://imgur.com/a/I7uEE
Katerina Felisata stars in 'Legend of the Perky Orbs', Coming Way Too Soon.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #396827

Captain277 wrote:I'm interested in building the map for the actual War Zone. I've currently got a 50x100 canvas I'm using, but I'm fine with enlarging that if need be. Before I go too far, these are the Central Command DDO Assault Barges I've just kinda thrown together. The one on the left, in my head, could function as the initial transport ferry for the Squad. The smaller one is a loose concept still, that should arrive at the same time as the main barge. In my head, the small one will be where the Artillery fire missions are carried out, and should function as an early-game defense objective for CentCom forces.
I'll be building walls around these next, to give the appearance that they've blasted through the wall of this hollow asteroid and have anchored themselves into the rock. After I've built the external walls, I plan on building a sort of maze for this area that leads to the first open zones on the map. This should allow stealth to be an option, and create heavy corridors for fire on either end if the assault team goes loud. Anyhow, let me know if it's what you're looking for, or if you want things changed. Input is always appreciated.
Spoiler:
I tried to embed the image, but it's saying it can't determine the photo dimensions, so here's the link instead. https://imgur.com/a/I7uEE
They're really cool, but they could use blue flooring for the centcom theming since the syndie mothership is red and outposts may be too.

I'll hit you up on discord and we can figure out a general idea for the map layout.
Captain277
Byond Username: Captain277

Post by Captain277 » #396828

Sounds good. I'll be around, and I'll swap out the floors.
Katerina Felisata stars in 'Legend of the Perky Orbs', Coming Way Too Soon.