Bounty Hunter Event

BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Bounty Hunter Event

Post by BeeSting12 » #442561

This actually has potential to be a gamemode imo, but I'm putting it under events for now since I want to run a more refined version of this in the future.

Original:
I made a person in a Syndicate loadout, except with an anyone agent ID, sniper rifle kit, penetrator/regular magazines, and thermals. I gave him the objective to kill someone and a custom antag name called "Bounty Hunter". I made his target a "Bounty" with an objective to stay alive.

I then added more instructions in his notes, basically telling him to get as much money as possible by killing targets and that he can buy ammo from admins. Original bounty hunter got caught pretty fast so I added two more with similar objectives and gear.

Improvements:
The event was a good idea in theory, but it needs a lot of work to make it good. The biggest issue is it requires too much admin intervention to make it work. Adding targets, spawning ammo, spawning credits, setting objectives for the targets, all of it really.

To fix that, I'm thinking about mapping a small ship with a handler onboard. The handler will have a near infinite supply of money, a Syndicate uplink with 1000 telecrystals, and an advanced camera console/other surveillance oriented gadgets. He can set the prices on ammunition, guns, gadgets, etc. The uplink and money allows the handler to work independently from the admins.

The handler can also act as surveillance for the bounty hunters, tracking down targets and giving radio callouts. The shuttle would be able to be moved of course to prevent people from finding it and getting 99999999 credits and 1000 TCs worth of Syndicate gear for free.

Admins will still need to add target objectives of course, but other than that the handler's player can manage the credits and gear.

There would be three bounty hunters spawned on the ship. They'd have a similar loadout to the original event, but maybe with less ammo. Possibly give them a choice between three loadouts, each with different styles. Default would be sniper, add a stealth loadout with chameleon gear and a suppressed pistol, and add another one. I don't want to make them too good against groups at the start though, focus more on stealthy kills.

Similar to the first event, they'd have an objective to make as much money as possible by killing targets. I haven't decided whether to put them in competition with each other or have them work as a team. I'm thinking about making it a competition for who can earn the most money, but disallowing open warfare between them. More of a friendly competition than a backstabby type thing. The handler would be a neutral party in all this- helping all the bounty hunters equally.

To confirm kills, bounty hunters would bring the body back to the ship, where the handler will have morgue trays for them. Once the body is on the ship, the bounty hunter receives his 5000 dollars for the kill, and he can use it for more gear or to count towards the competition. Could have a variant of the event where there's capture objectives instead, or make capturing a live target worth more money (7500?) than killing them.

Since the bounty hunter's objectives are more towards getting money than getting kills, he could even take bribes or ransoms worth more than he'd get from the handler to get a leg up in the competition.

I'm considering giving the targets some sort of advance warning. A Centcomm announcement to the whole crew might cause them to prepare like it's war ops or some shit which kinda goes against the stealth aspect of it. Maybe a classified announcement like:
"Bounty hunters have been caught on scanners in your sectors. Current high value targets on your station include:
George Melons- $5000
Fucks-The-Lizards- $5000
Cup Cake- $5000

Updates will come in as we receive word of more high value targets."

Then just send in updates with targets as they're assigned.

Thoughts? I'll work on the shuttle over the weekend and into next week if I have time.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Re: Bounty Hunter Event

Post by Nilons » #442563

If they had to bring them in alive it would probably be more fun for the target and more challenging than making someone go sideways for the bounty hunter
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #442571

Just some minor feedback, as I was one of the people being hunted

My hunter just came in shooting; I didn't even get a chance to offer then a bribe.

Also, I'd recommend against an advanced warning on the comms console or an announcement. That way the targets can't just rush straight to security and be protected. They'll have to convince people they're being hunted, or maybe pay for protection. Might lend more chances for the economy to shine, and some RP as well.

I did have quite a bit of fun in the event though. Since I knew I was being hunted, the extra layer of paranoia was very enjoyable.
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #442643

call it "the real folk blues"
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #442656

Perhaps an idea, for the 'warning' aspect, is to give the Station a larger list of people, most of whom are 'false alarms' and are not actually a Bounty Hunter target.

So the station might get a list of eight people, of which only three are being hunted.

It'd at least offer some ambiguity and make it harder for the station while still being a bit fair on the Hunters.

Alternatively, don't tell the station who is being hunted.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #442660

I think that's a great idea but only if the list was slightly longer. Eight people seems like a bit low. Those eight people might just super armor up and get ready for the strike. Powergamers and hardcore gamers will do that anyway, but you need just enough people that there's a false sense of security, enough so that maybe someone is too lazy to worry about really arming up depending on their round goals. It sounds like a great paranoia aspect actually, great idea steelpoint.

Now bounty hunters get an added challenge depending on ends up on that list, adds to the gamemode honestly. List could even scale by pop, ie: 15 players total, 4-5 on the list vs say 45 players with like 11-13 and then if things ever got crazy, and there's a 100 player station, you could have like literally 20ish people on that list and like 10+ bounty hunters. Can you imagine? This is kinda thinking ahead to if this was coded as an actual gamemode but damn this is a good idea.
darkpaladin109
Byond Username: Darkpaladin109

Post by darkpaladin109 » #442689

Nilons wrote:If they had to bring them in alive it would probably be more fun for the target and more challenging than making someone go sideways for the bounty hunter
Sounds cool, but what'd happen to the people who get captured?

Also, I feel like it'd be more interesting if it was an alternative, offering more money (or some valuable gear on top of the money) than just killing the target.
Zarniwoop
Byond Username: Dagum

Post by Zarniwoop » #442707

Hathkar wrote:Just some minor feedback, as I was one of the people being hunted

My hunter just came in shooting; I didn't even get a chance to offer then a bribe.
Well yeah, this is a low-RP server. Why would I care about your bribe? What am I gonna do, go RP with it? I'd be at one of the shit RP servers if I wanted that gameplay.
delaron
Byond Username: Delaron

Post by delaron » #455705

evolving into a game mode idea. What if security or command could place bounties on a person using their department budget? NT sanctioned bounties? Have a scanner in security that transfers the funds if you deposit a bounty target into it.
-------
I'm not smart enough to meme.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #455721

darkpaladin109 wrote:
Nilons wrote:If they had to bring them in alive it would probably be more fun for the target and more challenging than making someone go sideways for the bounty hunter
Sounds cool, but what'd happen to the people who get captured?

Also, I feel like it'd be more interesting if it was an alternative, offering more money (or some valuable gear on top of the money) than just killing the target.
The ninja net skill gets barely used. So what if it's like this. If you capture your target alive, you toss them in a machine that takes them to the ninja playpen center place. You get the entire amount of cash if you bring them back alive. But if you bring back a vital organ like their heart or their brain you only get half the cash.

Well. I guess this is more brainstorming for if it becomes a sort of mode. I just really want to see the ninja map used more. If it's always going to take up space on the server. Why not?
► Show Spoiler
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #455779

delaron wrote:evolving into a game mode idea. What if security or command could place bounties on a person using their department budget? NT sanctioned bounties? Have a scanner in security that transfers the funds if you deposit a bounty target into it.
Basically this, making it like Gmod darkrp where anyone could order hits would be great