Yearly awards show

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Yearly awards show

Post by RaveRadbury » #528212

I think it would be cool if we had a year-in-review style awards show. This would give players an opportunity to do one of their most favorite things: brag about good rounds that they had.

My original idea for this is to just have a "Best Mime" and "Clown of the Year" award. We could do something similar to headmin elections where people announce their interest and maybe answer some questions IC and also provide stories and Round ID's for things that they feel make them worthy of being "Best ____ of 2019"

Citrusgender expressed support in rolling this into the Winter Ball if/when it happens.

Depending on the amount of interest and player turnout we can expand the idea to include more of the service department, heads of staff, or any other role really. Making it about the Clown and Mime gives it more of an Academy Awards vibe, but really we can go wherever with it. We could even split the votes into Mr. and Ms. Clown/Mime of the year. The main idea is that it's a popularity contest for players to show off and it's something for the community to gather around and stare at.

If we stuck really hard on the clown/mime awards concept then it could also be fun to have some exhbition toolbox matches between mixed teams of mimes and clowns. Walls vs slips sounds like a fun dynamic and trying to coordinate teams with those abilities sounds fun.

Anyway, looking for feedback on how the scope of this should be managed. If the celebrity gimmick is worthwhile or if it should be open to multiple roles. Several service roles are very RP focused and this would be an opportunity to highlight them.
Last edited by RaveRadbury on Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Re: Yearly awards show

Post by deedubya » #528221

Rolling this into the winter ball sounds like it'd be cool. The voting process seems like it'd cram up people's UI on login for stuff most people won't care about, though.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #528223

deedubya wrote:The voting process seems like it'd cram up people's UI on login for stuff most people won't care about, though.
I think you're right, how the vote will be presented is one of the limiting factors in how broad our inclusion can be.
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #528231

This could tie in nicely with the end of the ball king/queen vote.
It should have some preparation and nominations beforehand, though, so there's no surprises and no clique-y bullshit.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #528246

Nervere wrote:It should have some preparation and nominations beforehand, though, so there's no surprises and no clique-y bullshit.
I think that if we did it right that the preparations and nominations could be used to build up more anticipation for the ball itself. In terms of logistics I would say that the vote should be closed ahead of the ball and that the finalists for each category be announced days before the ball happens. We could have the final vote decided ahead of time or do it live.

We might also want to have some sort of failsafe decided in case one player wins more than one award. While yeah it's epic to be so good at spessmen that you win everything all the time, ultimately this is a fun silly thing and I think we should seek to spread out the awards. This might require people to decide ahead of time which award they would want if more than one of their statics wins.
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #528247

oh yeah right

I'll work on the ball in everything this weekend.
it shall be my project
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #528249

i didn't read this but based on the title yes
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #528254

Nervere wrote:This could tie in nicely with the end of the ball king/queen vote.
It should have some preparation and nominations beforehand, though, so there's no surprises and no clique-y bullshit.
i think you would ideally run a text response poll first to allow free responses, then manually moderate them for spam-type stuff, then allow voting on the rest
after than an IRV poll (maybe even a second one for the top 3 or 5 or whatever since if there are a lot of options people probably wont care to choose ALL of them in the first poll) could pick a winner or three
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #528268

PKPenguin321 wrote:i think you would ideally run a text response poll first to allow free responses, then manually moderate them for spam-type stuff, then allow voting on the rest
after than an IRV poll (maybe even a second one for the top 3 or 5 or whatever since if there are a lot of options people probably wont care to choose ALL of them in the first poll) could pick a winner or three
I am ready willing and able to handle as much of the grunt work stuff that this will take so if we go through with that method I'd like to help sift through all the spam.
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #528270

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Nervere wrote:This could tie in nicely with the end of the ball king/queen vote.
i think you would ideally run a text response poll first to allow free responses, then manually moderate them for spam-type stuff, then allow voting on the rest
Agreed, that sounds like a good solution. This sort of thing should be democratic so it's not just the admin favorites that get the limelight.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #528334

I nominate myself for best Monki and best Silicon
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #528356

I nominate myself for the Whiny Bitch award.
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Post by CitrusGender » #532343

okay the talent show kinda was the intent of this

i'm far enough past the event to talk about it in case anyone wants to run it again.

from what i've gathered:

the good:
  • very efficient, literary no time for waste when it was automated
  • great opprotunities if pre-planned acts are on, since they can pick whatever items they want
the neutral:
  • it's hard to give people opportunities to sign up and spawn items since you can't tell who's a griefer and who's not
  • some of the really boring acts became funnier after admins stepped in
  • having a fuck ton of people causes shit to scroll so quickly so sometimes the act can get lost. Luckily this worked by giving them large text, though granted it faultered a little bit for the holotape recording.
the bad:
  • I don't think I gave people enough time since I only got 10 acts within the 3 days I had sign-up for
  • people signed up and had no idea what to do. not really much I can do about this
  • a lot of people didn't show up, again, not much i can do about this except maybe just skip over them if they're not there
  • i fucked up the vote and didn't do a runoff vote, granted I don't really think any of the acts that were put in at the last moment were very good so I'm not TOO unhappy about this
  • having the server crash 3 times doesn't help.
perhaps there's some things that can be done better next year. I'm hoping to implement some of this stuff into the next toolbox tournament since I want the entire thing to be automated without admin intervention and this event was really the step-child of the toolbox tournament by using the same machine made for the toolbox tournament but adjusting it to spawn one person and a set of items for a talent show.

any other criticism is warranted and accepted, though I will admit that there isn't much I can do about people doing bad acts since that's not something I can control.
annoyinggreencatgirl
Byond Username: Uomo91

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #532350

Something I felt could be worked on was that even though the performance ring wasn't very large, it was hard to see what was going on for several of the events. If the performer walked two tiles off center in any direction a huge swath of the audience couldn't see or hear them.
If you do this in summer, could thunderdome monitors or something maybe be used to remedy this? Maybe even to allow people to watch if they're not physically in the room and off somewhere else hanging out?
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #532352

I thought the talent show went really well and ended up being a fun bug/exploit showcase and definitely worth doing again.

That said, my original intent of this was to let people who really dig playing static mimes and clowns a chance to brag about good rounds and/or really lay out their character's gimmick. The talent show didn't really allow for this and I'm not sure how many people who entered had a clown/mime static. The winner, Kat Green, was simply herself.

Maybe the idea is too HRP?
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Post by CitrusGender » #532355

RaveRadbury wrote:I thought the talent show went really well and ended up being a fun bug/exploit showcase and definitely worth doing again.

That said, my original intent of this was to let people who really dig playing static mimes and clowns a chance to brag about good rounds and/or really lay out their character's gimmick. The talent show didn't really allow for this and I'm not sure how many people who entered had a clown/mime static. The winner, Kat Green, was simply herself.

no yeah sadly, I don't think anything regarding a type of storytelling event would really have worked here, people absolutely had the opportunity to do so however but it diverged in a different direction.

admittedly nobody has ever really done anything like this so I suppose this is the first test of what is fun to look at on stage and what isn't.

people just being put up without any items afterwards (the people who joined through the console) were not very creative other than a few exceptions.
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:Something I felt could be worked on was that even though the performance ring wasn't very large, it was hard to see what was going on for several of the events. If the performer walked two tiles off center in any direction a huge swath of the audience couldn't see or hear them.
If you do this in summer, could thunderdome monitors or something maybe be used to remedy this? Maybe even to allow people to watch if they're not physically in the room and off somewhere else hanging out?
the ring was MUCH MUCH larger before (the same size as the thunderdome) but I felt like that would make it even harder for people to hear since they'd have to be further away from the middle. Binoculars somewhat remedied this. if anything, a larger arena would make it even harder for people to hear the middle since less people would be in view range.

monitors aren't a bad idea to just remove the spam though.
legality
Byond Username: Legality

Post by legality » #532713

CitrusGender wrote:
RaveRadbury wrote:I thought the talent show went really well and ended up being a fun bug/exploit showcase and definitely worth doing again.

no yeah sadly, I don't think anything regarding a type of storytelling event would really have worked here, people absolutely had the opportunity to do so however but it diverged in a different direction.

admittedly nobody has ever really done anything like this so I suppose this is the first test of what is fun to look at on stage and what isn't.

people just being put up without any items afterwards (the people who joined through the console) were not very creative other than a few exceptions.
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:Something I felt could be worked on was that even though the performance ring wasn't very large, it was hard to see what was going on for several of the events. If the performer walked two tiles off center in any direction a huge swath of the audience couldn't see or hear them.
the ring was MUCH MUCH larger before (the same size as the thunderdome) but I felt like that would make it even harder for people to hear since they'd have to be further away from the middle. Binoculars somewhat remedied this. if anything, a larger arena would make it even harder for people to hear the middle since less people would be in view range.

monitors aren't a bad idea to just remove the spam though.
I wasn't there so I'm not 100% sure, but this sounds like an instance when mass editing everyone's view radius would fix the problem.