CCOM: UFO DEFENSE

ToastGoats
Byond Username: ToastGoats

CCOM: UFO DEFENSE

Post by ToastGoats » #681302

CCOM Command Announcement
"Attention all Space Station 13 crew:
Several UFOs have been detected in the orbit of Lavaland, with the intent of taking the system for themselves."

"Space Station 13 is in your hands, do not let us down."

What is this?
This is an extremely elaborate event I've been wanting to run for a couple months now.
Essentially, think of it as a variation of nuclear operatives, in which waves of enemies try to complete objectives while facing an increasingly well-armed crew.

The event would follow 3-4 stages:

Interception 1:
To start off the invasion, a single, small custom UFO map will be spawned in space with a small but armed crew compliment.
The aliens' objective at this stage is simple, survive. They are not expected to survive the crew's assault at this stage, but their performance at this stage effects the strength of the equipment given to the crew in the next stage, so putting in effort to survive is highly encouraged.

If the crew fails to capture the UFO after an allotted (but generous) time, the UFO will be despawned and the crew will not receive a reward for their efforts.
-
Interception 2:
In essence, this is the same as the first interception mission, however, the aliens receive a larger ship as well as more crew.
Since the station crew will probably fumble the first stage as they're fighting an unknown threat, rewards at this stage will be a bit more generous, especially because of the next mission.
-
Terror Mission:
The first make-or-break stage of the event, the terror mission shakes things up by drop podding a terror squad of aliens directly into the station, with the goal of completing a specific high-profile objective. The aliens will be heavily armed, and flanked by a company of custom simplemob terror units, possibly a custom sprited chryssalid depending on how psychopathic I'm feeling.

Since this stage is the closest to warops out of the four, the training wheels are getting taken off here.
-
Base Assault:
If the crew defeats the terror mission invaders, they get to take the fight to the alien base itself.
For this mission, a custom alien base map is spawned on lavaland, and volunteers are given the opportunity to arm themselves and be drop podded into a designated landing zone.

The crew's objective is to fight through the base's defenders to make it to the alien brain, a spriteswapped statue that when destroyed, marks the end of the alien invasion.
Should the crew succeed, they will be rewarded and an award ceremony will be held in their honor.
But if they fail? Well...
-
BONUS: Fail State
If the crew fails to stop the invaders from completing their terror mission objective, or gets wiped during the base assault, Centcom will lose confidence in the CCOM project and give up the station to the invaders.
What will happen to the crew? Well, I'm not spoiling it, but it's not gonna be good.

What needs to be made for this?
Maps, a few sprites, but mostly maps.
There's already the abductor tileset, and sectoid sprites from TGMC, so the overall workload will be mostly centered on maps for the alien base and the UFOs.

I can do the custom stuff myself, but help would be, very, very appreciated

Who needs to be on board for this?
Me and hopefully at least two admins.
As a non-admin, the odds of me being able to handle an event this disruptive are slim, I've run an event before, with a similar concept of invading a small custom map from space, but this is on a whole other level of complexity.

This event would have a lot of moving parts to it, and odds are, if the crew fails the first time, they'll want to run it again. There's no way I'd be able to run this alone twice, on top of dealing with ahelps of people asking what the hell is going on. If you're an admin and you're as masochistic as me, feel free to come on board!
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: CCOM: UFO DEFENSE

Post by Nabski » #682098

Good news, all the originally x-com sprites are 32x32. I have them in a .dmi file SOMEWHERE from when I did an x-com event back in the day.