The "Dump Your Opinions About Requisitions" Thread

ChemicalRascal
Byond Username: ChemicalRascal

The "Dump Your Opinions About Requisitions" Thread

Post by ChemicalRascal » #434182

This was mainly sparked by a chat Ninja and I had on discord in relation to a proposal -- and given I'm planning on suggesting further reworks to req after that, well, it's probably a good idea to pop the bonnet and check the engine, as it were. I certainly have my own experiences playing in requisitions, but instead of letting that rule direction, better to ask, right?

We all know requisitions is a pretty core part of the marine's mechanics, but how do people feel about actually playing as a CT or RO?

To those who do -- Why do you play CT/RO? Is it enjoyment or an obligation for you? What do you consider to be the the primary recurring positive and negative experiences of the role? What do you feel like could be improved -- conversely, what do you feel like shouldn't be touched?

To those who don't -- Why not? Have you played in the past, and no longer, and if so what turned you away from the role? If you never have, what aspect of the role do you feel you wouldn't enjoy?

Please don't, like, accuse other people of being wrong or anything, we're talking about opinions and everyone's individual experience is just as valid, albeit potentially less insightful, as it were. Similarly, please, let your own experiences drive your comments, rather than changing them in light of other people's experiences -- the way you feel playing req is more important than the way you feel about the way someone else feels about playing req.
Mark9013100
Byond Username: Mark9013100

Re: The "Dump Your Opinions About Requisitions" Thread

Post by Mark9013100 » #434188

ChemicalRascal wrote:To those who don't -- Why not? Have you played in the past, and no longer, and if so what turned you away from the role? If you never have, what aspect of the role do you feel you wouldn't enjoy?
Shipside roles are boring once you're past the start of the round busy work. Aside from the attachment rush at roundstart, cargo is a basically a one man show, especially since there's very little point to send cargo techs out for crates.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #434190

I don't really enjoy standing in line for attachments.
Not sure if the game would be worse if every squad had a vendor with appropriate amount of attachments. It is somewhat similar to how SS13 departments were meant to interact some long time ago.
Interaction is good but just having to wait then do the HELLO / MAG HARNESS / THANKS routine isn't really meaningful.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Rohesie
Byond Username: Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #434192

I loved playing RO and mained it for quite a while. You would turn every channel on and control the logistics, making a mental picture of what was going on in the area of operations and determining where to better apply the resources. If one squad was near another already supplied with what they wanted you'd let them know about the proximity of resources. If people were tripping balls you'd remind them your points were not unlimited. If you had points to spare you could take initiative and offer squads what you thought would most benefit them at the moment, depending on if they were on defensive, offensive or scouting stances. In addition you could always take initiative and provide useful things that would cost you no points, such as food, flares, spare ammo and building materials from autolathing things.

This mostly changed when they made points so scarce that you never really had a choice in what to buy thanks to the tank (and the mortar before that).

The logistics game needs to be kept. The obligatory req lines for attachments, though, not so much. Req should only distribute scarce and imbalanced gear, not standard. No need to restrict stocks, recoil compensators, bipods, red dots, mini-scopes or others, but a few of them should stay controlled until (and if) we rebalance them, such as barrel chargers and scopes.
Kingtrin
Byond Username: Kingtrin

Post by Kingtrin » #434199

I don't bother with req mostly because I find it difficult to see myself as being useful after roundstart. There are suggestions that would enable a form of RnD, and this will certainly make me interested in shipside roles, but for now I don't see the appeal for me.
py01
Byond Username: Py01

Post by py01 » #434508

I feel that the roundstart busywork should get cut out so that the action can get started earlier. If marines self-serve attachements (and xenos dont need to collect monkeys at roundstart) then the action could conceivably start 5-10 minutes into the round. Req can probably get extra responsibilies/features to give them something to actually do during the round (extended airdrops system?)
halitosisman
Byond Username: Halitosisman

Post by halitosisman » #434795

Maybe give req enough points to order something besides barricade materials, spec ammo and tank parts? The price inflation mechanic could be adjusted to prevent mega FOBs.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #434836

Requisitions is a total pain in the ass, and that's the way it should be. I'm open to things being changed, but we really shouldn't be turning this into TG with xenos. Roundstart requisitions should remain completely untouched.

As for later on, they should certainly be given something to do.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #434850

CL wants requisitions to spend as little as possible, so maybe that can make some more interesting conflicts. Maybe a really good requisitions team wants to help the marines and has to sneak orders past command. Or a bureaucratic RO team is putting marines in danger because they're following the corporate line.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Alterist
Byond Username: Alterist

Post by Alterist » #435448

Req is one of my favorite roles in CM, but honestly, the roundstart rush is NOT the reason why I play it. For me, the fun part is gathering supplies and sending them down to marines, managing points so that everyone ends up not pissed at me, and occasionally going down to the surface to deliver something personally, or grabbing some crates back to sell.

As it is now, half of the RO/CTs time is spent being human vending machines, the only thing that matters whether you give a BC to the "how do I switch hands" SL or the Veteran Marine. Not to mention the massive amount of clicks required serve 50+ marines making the job into Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Simulator.

I'm against having stuff like the Barrel Charger available to all standard marines. But I think it would add to the tactical nature of the game and reduce Req's workload if standard marines were given a small choice of attachments/gear to choose from, possibly with the pointbuy system already in place to limit the amount based on the attachment's "power"