The relationship between the corporation, the USMC, and survivors

Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

The relationship between the corporation, the USMC, and survivors

Post by Luke Cox » #434497

One time during the test, I was the Chief MP (some things never change). Early on, the corporate liaison went on his usual spiel about professionalism and doing things by the book. The CO and I both mocked him, called him a faggot, etc. 'Twas a good time. Later on, I accept a "stim implant" from the CL. He asks me to come to his office, where he informs me that it was actually an explosive implant. I was to kill and replace the CO, or else he would detonate it. Naturally, I quickly informed the CO when the CL wasn't around, tricked the CL into going into the CO's office to "deal with the CO", and immediately blew the CL apart with a pulse rifle before he could even think about triggering the implant.

This got me thinking about how we can flesh out the relation between the corporation, the USMC, and potentially the survivors. Since there are no real traitors in CM, human vs human conflict usually stems from RP. Being a /tg/ community, we know that "medium RP" is going to translate more to "light medium RP". One way we could implement this would be to give the CL a list of conditions that the corporation either wants met or avoided at all costs. They would be allowed to use any manner of coercion, blackmail, sabotage, etc to accomplish it.

Survivors could also be given some malicious incentives via their backstories. Maybe one of them has a grudge against another survivor and doesn't want them making it out alive. Maybe they released the xenos from containment. There's a lot of potential.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: The relationship between the corporation, the USMC, and survivors

Post by Stickymayhem » #434510

Based on the new lore, the corporate liasion is probably going to represent Nanotrasen to the marines and give zero shits about casualties as long as the work is done, and want to work on as tight a budget as possible.

So the conflict will probably arise from the CL wanting to use as little equipment as possible to achieve objectives, translating into massive loss of life. If 40 marines can die doing what 10 and an expensive tank could have done, then he's going with the 40 marines.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #434541

For sure, I don't think Weyland really gives a shit about casualties in CM either. I was thinking more about "make sure X order isn't given" or "make sure x isn't built" or "make sure x dropship doesn't make it back to the ship" or "make sure the marines don't obtain x item at the planet"
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #434622

Corporate Liaison objectives ideas:
  • Ensure that [OBJECT] from the planet is retrieved to the ship.
  • Ensure that [OBJECT] from the planet is destroyed.
  • Make sure that Requisitions has [NUMBER] points by the end of the mission.
  • [CREWMEMBER] has proven to be an asset to Nanotrasen, make sure they survive by the end of this mission.
  • Extract the VIP by the name of [SURVIVOR NAME] - Dead or alive.
  • Ensure no survivors are either alive, out of custody or not loyalty implanted on the ship at the end of the mission.
  • [COMMANDING OFFICER] has proven to be a liability, ensure he doesn't survive this mission alive or out of custody.
  • Ensure that [NUMBER] of Bridge Staff are loyalty implanted by the end of the mission.
  • A Syndicate Agent has managed to infiltrate the ship. Ensure they do not accomplish their mission, whatever it may be - Very rare objective, turns one of the civilians into an Agent with their own agenda
Objectives are weighted to prefer the non-malicious objectives.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #434726

SOME MORE IDEAS FOR THE CORPORATE LIAISON.

So, Nanotrasen has promised marines cushy lives in the plasma-mining economy for them and their families once the sector is secure. Many marines are happy to be heroes to prevent more marines being sent in to reduce their share of the sector, and many more are willing to die to secure places for their families in the rare stable paradise of an NT plasma research sector. However, in an ideal galaxy, Nanotrasen doesn't have obligations to any of these marines.

It's hard to deny a Marine who fulfilled their contact what's rightfully theirs. But if they die, backing out of the contract is going to be a lot easier. Many marines died to secure a place for their families, only for their wives and children to be screwed out of the deal in the end. Nanotrasen is low on funding, so they had to use future riches as a way to get the Marines on board, but ultimately want that profit for themselves.

So here's where this translates into gameplay. Nanotrasen would ideally prefer a sector full of plasma, with no Cimex to fight and no Marines to pay, so ideally everyone dies. This is why, other than budgetary constraints, equipment is lax and ineffective, and why the CL wants to nudge things towards close victories with massive marine casualties. They will do this through top level decision making rather than forcing the issue to obviously. NT would prefer this outcome as it's the most profitable, but they aren't so stupidly evil they'd just execute marines themselves or anything like that. It's just a desired outcome that the CL can manipulate for a chance at promotion and pay.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman