Remove zombie/meme modes

Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Remove zombie/meme modes

Post by Grazyn » #439866

The server is new, unfamiliar to most tg players and only up 2 nights a week. Do we really need to waste entire rounds on that stupid zombie mode or other meme badmin modes that depart so much from the core gameplay of CM? And what's up with that zombie virus? I was bitten and was still up and running after 30 minutes when I killed myself out of boredom (I found out later that you're supposed to let your team mates kill you as soon as you realize you're infected because there's no cure, dunno why since it takes so long but whatever).

Unless you play for the entire weekend uptime, you will realistically be able to play 4-5 rounds at most from start to finish (each round being 1+ hours long). This is barely enough to familiarize yourself with the roles, the map, the utterly different gameplay and interactions and so on. Don't really need rounds where you finally start to think you understood basic tactics just to throw it all out because it's "meme mode", the caves are empty etc. etc.
You also can't really expect people to learn and follow chain of command and squad gameplay if the meme mode requires them to ignore those and just run wherever the badmin announcements tell them to.

I understand it must be boring for admins and mentors to always see the same rounds playing in the same ways, but that's CM, it doesn't need "events" and shit to spice it up unless it already turned boring on its own, surely not now that the server is basically on trial run and people are just getting used to it.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Remove zombie/meme modes

Post by Stickymayhem » #439900

This is a fair point yeah
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Rohesie
Byond Username: Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #440067

Zombie is a round-ending event. It's poorly coded and very flawed. Definitely a bad idea for now.

What other "meme modes" are you talking about?
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #440087

I mean stuff like "commies are invading the almayer" and other events that spawn shit shipside
Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #440376

Don't those only happen after round end, or at moments when the game would be otherwise stuck on the lobby as a chat simulator, while we wait for the server to recompile or the likes?
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #440384

I'm talking about first hand experience, this happened last weekend and it was at roundstart.
factoryman942
Byond Username: Factoryman942

Post by factoryman942 » #440385

I believe we had a single infection round, which was announced at as well as pre-roundstart. I believe there was also an announcement of UPP invasion during that round.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #440408

Yeah that's what I'm talking about, it doesn't matter if it's a "single" round, if a newb only gets to play 4 rounds in the entire weekend, it's still a pretty big chunk of playing time that goes straight to the toilet and then you can't complain that people don't know how shit works.

That "single" round lasted well over 90 minutes
Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #440443

Can't comment on it because I didn't see it. I'll talk to the admins responsible for it. Thanks for your feedback.