DMCA name change

Rohesie
Byond Username: Rohesie

DMCA name change

Post by Rohesie » #443313

So, it's been a bit since we started and we are getting slowly more stable and settled. There's still a long way to go, though.

This project started as a mix of memes, when CM's code got leaked, and of a little seed a few people saw potential in for the long-term. MSO, ninjanomnom and Rustled come to my mind foremost, but not only.

It became known as "DMCA" (Digital Marines ; Colonel/Colonial Aliens) after SLC's funny rant, but after a while memes go stale and the people who were in to make fun of CM or build up on that kind of mentality have appeared around less and less. Unsurprisingly, since the fad is over.

I won't hide that I have a vision for the project that I want to make happen, and it doesn't involve trying to substitute or spite CM. Nor become a totally meme server pew-pew. We have Merc Donalds for that, and they do a great job at it. It would be hard to compete there anyway.

If you ask me what I want, I'll only be able to respond in broad terms, because a lot will depend on the playerbase and what they want. But there are some things that are very appealing to me:
1) A less toxic community. People say many things, but I personally find /tg/ and those that have been hanging around DMCA very chill. I'm loving it. I'd like to maintain that. Can't say I feel the same general vibe when I go back to play CM, not intending to offend anyone. Just to praise what I find praise-worthy.
2) A relaxed moderation. So that if you are bwoinked the chances are higher of the staff trying to help you than land you a ban. This is pretty utopic and unspecific, but oh well. It's free to wish.
3) An interesting crew-vs-antags deathmatch-style mixed with bits of RP game mode. I've been around since Kittyshack and the potential for this kind of game mode was obvious even then.
4) Decent relations with other servers, codebases and whatnot. There's no need to be butts with each other, nor with outsiders. This is only game. This involves us removing offending stuff. Sprites and donor gear are the prime examples, and while we have more to do we've already been making progress there.
5) Getting back to the point. I went on a tangent.

Alright, so one step of many is changing the name to something more according to what we are after. That is neither CM 2.0 (technically there have been many CMs and I've headmined one of them, but the established name is theirs, so we have to respect that) nor Merc Donalds 2.0
We'd do good to avoid stuff like clearly copyrighted stuff or things like OpenCM, which are a direct allusion to the other non-open-source server.

TL;DR: Give us suggestions for the new name of the project. Please tone down the memes. No, DMCA ain't a good name, it's pretty retarded, as funny as it is.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: DMCA name change

Post by NikNakFlak » #443314

I like DMCA
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #443320

Digital Aliens; Marine Colonies
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #443323

I like Digital Marines; Colonial Aliens. maybe make it dmca for short or something?
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Cw3040
Byond Username: Cw3040

Post by Cw3040 » #443341

Hear me out
call the server

Benos
Aggressing
Nanotrasen
Spoiler:
GREYTIDE STATIONWIDE
ImageImage
Spyroshark
Byond Username: Spyroshark

Post by Spyroshark » #443392

How about the “Federation for Annihilating Galactic Scum”?
it's me. a real gamer.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #443396

Spyroshark wrote:How about the “Federation for Annihilating Galactic Scum”?
good name for the marines, considering they're overpowered
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
drawsstuff
Byond Username: Drawsstuff

Post by drawsstuff » #443401

I don't really want to move from DMCA, it has a nice ring to it. It's an inside joke that will only get better with age, people might get confused if the name changes, and there's already so many good jokes made around it and I don't want any of them to lose relevance. What's gonna happen to the DMCA song?
Kirby Lore Expert, Incompetent shitposter, and drawfag.
iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Post by iksyp » #443404

department of mining colony assistance
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #443410

Something something pedapops.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #443500

it's fun to stay at the
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fosstar
Byond Username: Fosstar

Post by fosstar » #443518

TG-Marines

Aliens Vs. Clowns: Extinction

NT-Marines
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #443649

Rohesie wrote:No, DMCA ain't a good name,
Whether you like it or not, it's become a recognizable brand within the ss13 community outside tg. It's a good name.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #444391

DMCA
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #446264

Run DMCa
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #456712

lmao
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #456718