Appeals which have been closed.
Juuzou

[CedarBridge] HentacleTentai (Edgar Wilks) - Permabanned

Post by Juuzou » #273835

Account: HentacleTentai
Char: Edgar Wilks
Banning admin: CedarBridge
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Job Ban (drone) & Complete Ban
Ban reason and length: Permanent (Drone lit plasma on fire, people were caught in the fire and died)

Time ban was placed (including time zone): Around 9:25 EST

Your side of the story: I was trying to stop the plasma from killing everyone and attempted to evacuate all people, after the coast appeared clear, I lit the plasma on fire to get rid of it. Turns out some people hid in lockers and died in the fire.
Admin PMed me saying a drone had lit plasma on fire, but I did not notice it because I was trying to get contain the plasma. He then decided to job ban me, then must have changed his mind and banned me permanently for the server.

Why you think you should be unbanned: I made an attempt to evacuate all people and minimize the spread of the plasma. Otherwise the plasma would have filled all sectors except the area west of the bar resulting in highly toxic air. A temporary job ban and a inquiry would have been reasonable, but a permaban on a first offense is less so. I make an effort to contribute to all departments of the station to keep a healthy environment and one mistake got me permabanned so I wish to rectify the situation.

Thanks for your time and I hope we can resolve this soon.
Last edited by peoplearestrange on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: HentacleTentai (Edgar Wilks) - Permabanned

Post by Qbopper » #273836

Juuzou wrote:I lit the plasma on fire to get rid of it.
Regardless if this appeal goes through or not: what made you think this was the best way to go about that? Just curious
Limey wrote:its too late.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: Hentacle_Tentai (Edgar Wilks) - Permabanned

Post by cedarbridge » #273838

Your full ban reason was this:
Permanently banned - As a drone, lit plasma in hallways on fire and lit people on fire in the process. Did not respond to PMs. Appeal on the forums if you're not interested in responding in game.
I got several ahelps that a drone was lighting plasma fires in the hallways. When I found you, you had already burnt the bar and a chunk of medbay. When I PM'd you, you crowbarred through a firelock and lit another fire. As it seemed you weren't listening, I gibbed you and applied the bans. The bans were placed in the order they were more for ease of the ban system than changing my mind.

The permaban was to get your attention and to get you to explain yourself, which you have done here. I'm willing to scale back the ban to a day per person who died, which I understand to be the standard for non-antag murders.

The drone ban will stick for a while. As a drone you are meant to repair and improve the station. Burning plasma that has flooded into the hallways does not improve or repair the station but ultimately causes more damage, definitely interferes with other beings on the station, and directly interferes with the antag that spread the plasma. Also, given that you explain that you "attempted to evacuate all people" from the area shows you were consciously interfering with other non-drones.
Juuzou

Post by Juuzou » #273840

Qbopper wrote:
Juuzou wrote:I lit the plasma on fire to get rid of it.
Regardless if this appeal goes through or not: what made you think this was the best way to go about that? Just curious
I didn't want to plasma to spread more which I thought would have inevitably caused more damage to the station. I've only been playing this game for a week or so and didn't think burning it out of the air would cause as much damage as it must have. I thought it would have kept more of the station from being put into jeopardy.

The air scrubbers also appeared to not be working but I may have been mistaken
Juuzou

Re: Hentacle_Tentai (Edgar Wilks) - Permabanned

Post by Juuzou » #273845

cedarbridge wrote: The drone ban will stick for a while. As a drone you are meant to repair and improve the station. Burning plasma that has flooded into the hallways does not improve or repair the station but ultimately causes more damage, definitely interferes with other beings on the station, and directly interferes with the antag that spread the plasma. Also, given that you explain that you "attempted to evacuate all people" from the area shows you were consciously interfering with other non-drones.
I've read the rules on the wiki since I was unaware of them and confused when you said "shows you were consciously interfering with other non-drones" (Didn't see laws displayed like the ones borgs have, assumed they were the same). I am now aware of the 3 laws DRONES have and will make a conscious effort to follow them.

Not that this response was necessary, just explaining the situation.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #273855

Be it noted that this ban appears to have been placed after the drone OOC flavour text was merged that states in big bold red letters not to interfere with the round, and what that means.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #273891

that does not indicate it was present on the game servers at that time though.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #273898

oranges wrote:that does not indicate it was present on the game servers at that time though.
I had assumed that if the in-game changelog files an addition under a specific date that it actually shows up on the server on that date.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #273920

I verified that this change was active On the sever at the time after applying the bans and not before.
Last edited by cedarbridge on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #273924

> the feature that is suppose to avoid players getting banned is being used to get players banned

RIP

Even then the vague lawset drones have would still dictate a drone shouldn't be starting plasmafires in pretty evident terms.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Juuzou

Post by Juuzou » #273950

Can I get a date for when the permaban will be lifted?
IrishWristWatch0
Byond Username: IrishWristWatch0

Post by IrishWristWatch0 » #273954

Juuzou wrote:Can I get a date for when the permaban will be lifted?
It's forever. That's why it's called a permaban
╔═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╗
<Shaps> I still firmly believe a drunk kor is more responsible than a sober irish
Zoey Webb(Firecage): Irish. You can break any coherent discussion by mentioning 2 words
420weedscopes: I once proposed to a girl with my dick in her ass
Lzimann's best friend.
° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸  ★  :.  . • ○ ° ★  ° ○ • .  .:  ★  ¸ .¸ ☆ ☾ °
╚═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╝
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #273967

Juuzou wrote:Can I get a date for when the permaban will be lifted?
Unless a headmin wants to step in I'm amending this to 4 days server (including time already served) and leaving the drone ban. One day for each person killed in the firestorm (that I saw anyway.)
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #273981

I was trying to stop the plasma from killing everyone

I made an attempt to evacuate all people
For future reference if you get un drone banned later, you should completely disregard the existence of other non-drone beings. Even if they're on fire and dieing. Don't create any dangerous situations, and don't try to save people from existing dangerous situations. You can fix the danger if it's part of the station(using scrubbers for the plasma would have been fine), but don't do anything that could create a hazard(SPACEMAN! FIRE! HOT!)
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: [CedarBridge] HentacleTentai (Edgar Wilks) - Permabanned

Post by peoplearestrange » #274118

Or put it this way. Plasma in the air doesnt actually cause damage to the station (its toxics to humans sure, but you dont care about that). Plasma on fire DOES cause damage.

But to be totally honest drones should more be caring about structure and general maintenance, everything else is the Engineers/Atoms Techs job.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #274136

peoplearestrange wrote:Or put it this way. Plasma in the air doesnt actually cause damage to the station (its toxics to humans sure, but you dont care about that). Plasma on fire DOES cause damage.

But to be totally honest drones should more be caring about structure and general maintenance, everything else is the Engineers/Atoms Techs job.
with the new OOC notice it shouldn't even matter that this makes sense in the IC laws but let's be real no one reads anything in a mostly text based multiplayer game
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #274232

This is actually a interesting question: Does a drone have a responsibility to maintain atmosphere? Plasma is inherintly dangerous stuff because it can be set on fire. There's a few ways of getting rid of it (IE draining it via atmos, or using space to drain it) but it can be hard to get rid of it.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #274444

starmute wrote:This is actually a interesting question: Does a drone have a responsibility to maintain atmosphere? Plasma is inherintly dangerous stuff because it can be set on fire. There's a few ways of getting rid of it (IE draining it via atmos, or using space to drain it) but it can be hard to get rid of it.
A bomb is an inherently dangerous thing that can destroy huge chunks of the station but drones aren't allowed to defuse those either.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #274538

starmute wrote:This is actually a interesting question: Does a drone have a responsibility to maintain atmosphere? Plasma is inherintly dangerous stuff because it can be set on fire. There's a few ways of getting rid of it (IE draining it via atmos, or using space to drain it) but it can be hard to get rid of it.
"don't interfere with the round" takes precedence over "repair the station"
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #274540

While this is good policy discussion, this ban has already been amended. Perhaps move the policy to the designated threads?
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #274542

Yeah, sorry about that

should probably have this locked
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone