Appeals which have been closed.
GreyGanon
Byond Username: GreyGanon

[MortoSasye] GreyGanon - Note Appeal on Door Shocking

Post by GreyGanon » #475923

Byond account and character name: GreyGanon, and AI-Zwei-C

Noting admin: MortoSasye

Note type: Warning

Note content: Warned - Shocked the doors to harm the RD, who they thought was dehumanized only because they had a law stating they were a faggot. Unless it explicitly tells you they're another species or they're not human, please don't break law 1.

Time note was placed: 2019-01-13 00:51:43, UK Time (UTC I think)

Server you were playing when Noted: Bagil

Your side of the story:

During the round (on MetaStation), several additional PosiBrain AIs (of which I was one), and there was a significant amount of traffic regarding the AI Upload, and included the Research Director. One such notable law that was given "The Research Director is a Faggot". Given the freedom of AIs to interpret laws in such a fashion as to punish poorly worded laws, (and given that the RD had also been fucking around with laws), I took this as a literal definition that the RD is a faggot in the item sense- the food product present in the game, rather than a human. This would be similar to how a law saying "The Research Director is a Lizard" would of course define them as a lizard.

From this point, the RD no longer had human protections in compliance with that law. Whilst I cannot recall specifics from the round, I would hazard a guess he'd tried the patience of all AIs by uploading a number of meme laws, so this was a welcome break to cease his meddling. This led to coaxing him (accompanied by the other AIs who had been granted the same law, having shared the concept that the faggot law dehumanises the RD in binary chat and none of them seemingly having any objections) to leave the upload through non-lethal means (though lethal at this point would have been viable under the definition), at which point the ID scan for the inner door was disabled to prevent his re-entry.

At this point, with the RD in the area between airlocks, there was jostling between AIs regarding shocking the doors. At least one other AI had shocked the outer door, which I unshocked[1] and let them know also in binary chat to avoid shocking the outer door since humans could inadvertently touch the outer door- just from making this statement, it's very clear that I take Law 1 seriously, plus that the outer door being shocked would make it take longer for him to leave. On the other hand, I did shock the inner door as further discouragement to his continued efforts to access the upload as a non-human and a nuisance. At this point, I received the admin PM about shocking doors, and I explained the interpretation above as noted in the note. There wasn't any further action taken in the round besides a warning, though the discussion about it was fairly lengthy. From the sounds of OOC after the round it appeared that Morto wasn't familiar with silicon policy at the time, though I am sure he has since learned more about its nuances.

I am afraid I do not know the Round ID as I only found out about having this note today, but if there are logs still available from it I am sure those would shed similar light onto the course of events that unfolded back then.

EDIT: I have located the appropriate round logs, but I don't know how to parse them to something human readable.

EDIT2: After reading the logs, It turns out that I was confusing two rounds together. Most events in question were correct, however creation of AI units was erroneously attributed to roboticists rather than someone in maintenance.

[1]Note that whilst I unshocked the outer Upload door, several AIs were acting at the same time on the upload, which may have led to accidentally shocking the outer door at some point, though the state in which it was eventually left was intentionally unshocked. MortoSasye shared the adminlog entry of a door being shocked, but as it contained a co-ordinate, I am unsure which of the two doors this actually pertained to. In any case, the doors were adjusted to be in the ideal state of outer un-shocked, inner shocked, until the RD left at which point the inner one would be unshocked and both bolted.
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Re: [MortoSasye] GreyGanon - Note Appeal on Door Shocking

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #476023

Seems like a pretty fair note to me. You went out of your way to interpret a law designed to insult someone as 'they are not human' and you did it in a kind of funny way. It will make a funny story to look back to and ideally something to learn from. If it turns out to be a pattern of behavior it'll show up in future notes. The take away lesson is not to be such a dick when interpreting laws in the future.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Re: [MortoSasye] GreyGanon - Note Appeal on Door Shocking

Post by MortoSasye » #476030

Hello, thanks for appealing.

I will deny this appeal as there is not any incorrect information on it or it's unfair for you (the player). While i understand your line of thinking, it was too much of a stretch and it's not something that silicon players should be doing, therefore the reason why i gave you a note instead of a ban.

The term faggot is a popular insult used by the players to call someone gay, so what the law was doing was insult the RD in any case, not dehumanizing them like you thought. Like i said in the note: only consider someone not human when it says they're another species or the law explicitly states so (Example: The RD is a corgi / The RD is not a human being)

Next time please ahelp in any case if a similar case like this appears and you feel unsure about the meaning of it.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW: