Appeals which have been closed.
Chungo Supreme
Byond Username: Chungo Supreme

[NecromancerAnne] Chungo Supreme - week ban

Post by Chungo Supreme » #499821

Byond account and character name: Chungo Supreme / Silent Chungo

Banning admin: NecromancerAnne

Ban type (What are you banned from?): Server

Ban reason and length: Banned for Seven Days.

Reason: Uploaded thermodynamic to an Ai that started a plasmaflood. He also one-humaned the AI. Attempted to fix the lawset but by then most of the station was an inferno and many people died. He claimed he didn't have any experience with lawsets. This should be an indication that he shouldn't touch them in the first place.

Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Bagil

Your side of the story: I had been miming around on the station for a while doing veeery little - eventually found me the captain's hardsuit and went around looking for some typical mime prankery. Long story short, eventually went into the open AI upload with the captain watching nearby to one human myself for a little bit and pull some prankage from there. I also ran into some other AI boards, one of which was called 'thermodynamic.' I assumed it was probably related to engineering or something with a name like that, and uploaded it too, thinking it was harmless. Got bwoinked asking 'what I was doing' and replied that I was one-humaning as a prank to avenge my dead clown comrade, but then I was told just what thermodynamic actually was. The captain shoved past me and went into the AI upload, so I assumed that it was done with and continued talking to the admin about it. What I did not realize, was that the captain did not actually change the AI from thermodynamic. And so I was given a valiant quest - I'd receive a note on my account if I could prevent anyone from dying, but a week ban if anyone did die. I made it to the upload when the fires started, with a loooot of people burning but DID manage to fix the laws. After I did that, I was told that it was too little too late and was promptly banned for a week.

Why you think you should be unbanned: My actions weren't done maliciously - I never intended to hurt any of the crew, only to get them to come after me for one-humaning myself like some sort of mime narcissist, something that I thought would be pretty funny.

Also, the reason for my ban states that I should not mess with the lawsets if I have no experience with them, but I like to think this was me gaining a VERY MEMORABLE experience with what not to do with the AI's lawset. This is the first time I've ever done anything really harmful to the station as non-antag, so I am hoping for some leniency that will allow me to come back and play before the week is up. I really would just rather be playing on /tg/ than the other servers!
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Re: [NecromancerAnne] Chungo Supreme - week ban

Post by bobbahbrown » #499834

This ban occurred on round 111043 on 6/20/2019 at ~6:14 UTC. (src, statbus, scrubby)
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #499946

When you initially uploaded the law I thought to give you as much of a heads up as possible by discussing the implications with you after you did it in the hopes you would attempt to fix it. Unfortunately you ended up simply leaving the upload and then entering space over turning around and uploading something else. This was a pretty lengthy discussion too so you had a very hefty amount of time. You also had the captains swat suit, which protects you from the plasma flood and partially protects you from the heat. Of all of the crew save the CE and Atmos techs, you were the safest person on the station. You would not and could not be hindered from uploading the fix.

While yes, the captain did go in and reset the AI he only removed non-core laws and it became JUST thermodynamic. So presuming someone else could fix your mistake is, frankly, a little juvenile and I told you that you couldn't just divert the blame to him for what you did.

Now thermodynamic admittedly shouldn't be plasmaflooding. Because that is the opposite of what the lawset is attempting to do. But it can and will kill a lot of people and AI's given kill lawsets only have so many options to kill everyone. And it did. It killed most of the station's living crew in fact by the time you got in and changed the laws. By sheer happenstance duringthe flood the station was hit by an electrical overload and all that plasma got sparked.

When you had chosen to leave the upload, wander the halls and float around in space, we were already talking and I was already explaining why what you had done wasn't acceptable and you needed to fix it from the moment our discussion started. When I said I would ban you for each person killed, that wasn't a challenge. That was because it's policy and the hardcap of a week was simply because I didn't want to count the corpses but since I saw at the very least a weeks worth in medbay and in the halls I would be safe making it a week.

The fact you're being so flippant, both during our discussion during the round and here, in this appeal, about ruining the round for literally everyone in an extended round as a nonantag is appalling. There is precedent for similar things being the cause of permabans for players. This was a very serious incident and you had plenty of time to fix your mistake but you chose to sit on your hands even while I was expressing to you that what you did is going to get people killed.

Maybe if you had shown me in this appeal that you had learned anything from this or shown some measure of remorse for wiping out an entire station on relatively low pop extended, maybe I might have reduced this to only three days. I'm not and I am denying this appeal.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #499957

In terms of precedents I accidentally uploaded thermodynamic lawset once too, I immediately tried to correct my mistake but at that point it was too late. I ended up being perma banned, so I think its safe to say that as far as past rulings go, one week is on the lenient side.
Chungo Supreme
Byond Username: Chungo Supreme

Post by Chungo Supreme » #499959

ah well, fair enough. I'm sorry, but I didn't understand the whole situation at all when it was actually happening. I just went out in space while I was talking to you because it was a safe place to dm and not get shot to death by the detective, and I swear I'm not trying to BLAME the captain here, I just want to fully explain my actions - but I had been operating off of the assumption that the problem was already fixed when I left. That's on me, and it's why I wasn't doing anything to fix the situation until I directly messaged you asking if the laws were still in effect. Either way, I'm happy you took the time to read my appeal and I'll be sure to rejoin when the ban is up.

And sorry if it looked like I was avoiding anything when I was floating around in space after you had alerted me that the laws were still in place, I was just lost and panicking.
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #500500

This look wrapped up, I'm proud of Mr. Chungo for admitting that he had something to learn from the scenario and it gives me high hopes he won't be repeating it in the future.