Appeals which have been closed.
Arathian
Byond Username: Arathian

[Nervere] Arathian Kebabopoulos - 2 days server ban

Post by Arathian » #504897

Byond account and character name: Arathian/ Arathian Kebabopoulos

Banning admin: Nervere

Ban type (What are you banned from?): Server ban

Ban reason and length: 2 days. "During a Plasma Flood, addressed the problem by killing 2 engineers with his combat mech. These engineers weren't atmos techs and weren't the ones who did it."

Time ban was placed (including time zone): 27/7 04:31

Server you were playing when banned: Event Halls

Your side of the story:

I have limited information and I have to work with what I have.

The ban was placed way after the round was over, so Nervere never spoke with me directly and just went by the logs, which won't give the full picture (obviously).

Round is going on in event halls. Suddenly, literally THE WHOLE STATION catches fire. At this point, I am carrying the AI which confirms someone is plasma flooding. Literally everyone dies.

By the time I enter the shuttle, it's just me alive and a couple people. Suddenly, I see 2 engineers drilling the door. One of them had a laser gun on him.

I talked with the AI and the AI also confirmed they were the probable traitors and the ones who plasma flooded the station considering they are literally almost the only survivors, together and had (essentially) access to atmos. Yes, they were engineers, not atmos techs, but at that point atmosia doors had been bolted open for some time (i noticed when I went to check on it when a borg was trying to contain the plasma floods).

So, my information was:

someone in or around engineering had sabotased and killed basically everyone

I see only 2 people with access to engineering, one of them armed, coming inside the shuttle.

AI also confirms they are reasonable threat.

I decided to kill them based on the above information.

I understand it wasn't actually them who did it, and yes, obviously I wouldn't want to kill them if I had known, but players don't have full access to logs and we have to work on more limited information. Under the information I had at the time, the action I took is within reason.

Why you think you should be unbanned:

I pointed my reasons above. Shit happens. Sometimes you kill the wrong person. i don't like it when I punch the wrong person and when I saw the guy I killed wasn't the actual traitor I did apologise in the end of the shift in OOC. Obviously an IC fuck up on my end, but i don't believe it should result in 2 days ban and a permanent record on me. I would request an unban if the banning admin agrees.
Arathian

Re: [Nervere] Arathian Kebabopoulos - 2 days server ban

Post by Arathian » #504935

Sorry, just woke up and I am not half asleep. Just wanted to add a couple notes:

1) those engineers had atmos suits. So it was pretty evident they had at least been to atmos. I kinda forgot to say that. They weren't rolling around in EVA suits.

2) In general, ss13 is built on paranoia and limited info. Players are expected to act on incomplete information. I pilot mechs VERY frequently, I kill people very rarely. If I get banned every time I make a mistaken assumption, then I will simply stop taking risks and just use the mech as an extra layer of armour and never interfere.

Sure, that would be safer for me, but doesn't that defeat the point of the game?
OhChildflayer
Byond Username: OhChildflayer

Post by OhChildflayer » #505562

Arathian wrote: 1) those engineers had atmos suits.
I hope this isn't peanut posting but, there is only one Atmos Hardsuit. if there was more than one engineer, it's not likely they both had Atmos hardsuits on
Arathian

Post by Arathian » #505563

OhChildflayer wrote:
I hope this isn't peanut posting but, there is only one Atmos Hardsuit. if there was more than one engineer, it's not likely they both had Atmos hardsuits on
Aren't the firefighter suits in atmosia the "atmos suits"? I meant those.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #505813

Arathian wrote:
OhChildflayer wrote:
Aren't the firefighter suits in atmosia the "atmos suits"? I meant those.
There's one atmos hardsuit in a proper suit storage and then there's the big firefighter suits, one per locker. I think Delta has more.
Generally people refer to the hardsuit when they say atmos suit.
Arathian

Post by Arathian » #506549

Quick reply as a reminder this ban appeal is still unresolved!
Arathian

Post by Arathian » #507800

See above!
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #507847

This ban has expired, thus turning it into a note appeal.

Is the note factually incorrect?
Arathian

Post by Arathian » #507859

Dax Dupont wrote:This ban has expired, thus turning it into a note appeal.

Is the note factually incorrect?
The note is about a ban. If the ban is misapplied in the first place, the note should be amended to reflect that regardless of the ban being expired or not.

So this is a note "appeal" in that I want the note to be modified to reflect the ban was not appropriate like my other overturned ban.
Arathian

Post by Arathian » #509644

This ban is almost a month old. Nervere also has about a dozen other unresolved bans.

Of course no one is entitled to a swift judgement, but I think a month is enough for a resolution to this.

If nervere can't judge this due to IRL, I would ask another headmin to rule on it if possible.
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #509887

Apologies for the delay.
The context under which I applied this ban assumed the situation on the station was less dire than it actually was.
Your account of what happened leads me to believe otherwise. While I still disagree with your actions, I don't think this warrants keeping the note, so I've lifted it from your account.
Thank you for appealing.