Post by Dubbix » #507493

Byond account: Dubbix
Character: Felix Hubstien
Banning Admin: Zxaber
Ban type: Temporeral
Ban reason: Killed sec officer and didn't answer admin, ban time 1 day
Time: 2019-08-13 10:11:51
Server: Basil

So i am new to the game and was playing as a chemist trying to learn. After a while a sec officer came in that i thought was an antag, some chaos broke out and i killed him. Thought sec officers could be evil but i was wrong. As you can tell i am kind of a super noob, trying to learn. And when the admin tried to message me i didn't see it. Didn't see the messages untill i got banned, but then i couldnt answer for some reason and thats why i am writing here. Pls unban me it was a honest mistake, dind't know sec officers couldn't be antag and didn't see messages from admin. It won't happen again i swear, sorry.
ariever
Byond Username: Ariever

Re: Zxaber - Dind't see message and killed sec officer

Post by ariever » #507506

Just for your future reference:

-Crew that start off mindshielded* (Captain, Security Officer, Warden, Detective, Head of Security) Cannot become roundstart antags. Everyone else can, but that doesn't mean that they will always be that way, part of the fun is figuring out who is and isn't an antag!

When the *bwoink* sound plays and you get something in your chat that looks like

--Administrator Private Message--

That means that an admin is trying to contact you for something! It might be hard to answer them as soon as you're able to (if you're in the middle of a fight) but try to contact them as soon as you're done!

* Mindshield implant - Prevents/makes it difficult for the player from being converted into a team antag (Cult, Revolution, assimilation, gangs). All of security starts with one, as does the Captain. If you have a sec HUD on or implanted into you, a mindshielded individual's job card will be highlighted with a flashing light blue icon. It helps to show who is and isn't on your side!
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #507514

This ban occurred in round 115892 on Bagil. (src, statbus, scrubby)
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #507566

Generally, sec officers cannot be round-start antags. There are few cases where this gets a bit complicated (antags getting a job-change to sec, lings taking the identity of sec, and so on), but generally you should never be killing an officer for doing their job.

That being said, you are a new player, and this round was made a bit more confusing by all the NPC sec officers from the gateway mission (which do attack on sight). I'll cut it down to a half-day ban, since you seem to know what you did wrong now, which effectively unbans you.

When NPCs are involved, regardless of the case, just try to be more careful in determining who is an NPC and who is a player.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #507719

We recognize that sometimes players may not be totally aware about admin messages, but it makes a rather distinctive sound and generates a giant message on top of it. For you and anyone else out there, know that ignorance will only get you so far.