Appeals which have been closed.
RSMXZ_

[OrdoM] - RSMXZ_ - Banned for degrading server performance

Post by RSMXZ_ » #515263

BYOND account: RSMXZ_
Character name: Steps-on-Shards
Ban type: Server
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: Attempted to maliciously degrade server performance using an exploit
Time ban was placed: 2019-09-18 02:34:30
Server you were playing on when banned: Bagil
Round ID in which ban was placed: 119522
Your side of the story: I'll explain in length since i can say with honesty i didn't try to ruin the server performance i though i was only having problems on my end. So i connected has normal and choose Medical Doctor has role to play i log in and i notice my whole pc doesn't have any sound and the game runs super laggy, i close byond try to fix audio and run it again the problem continues so i reset my pc because i though that should fix both problems, when it's on i try to connect again to just move a few tiles and get a black screen i think that's weird so i log out once again and connect back on to have the same thing happen, i remember i hadn't updated byond so i go and do that and once its updated to the latest version i come back to see i got banned because somehow i was exploiting and degrading server performance without me even being aware.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I believe i don't deserve the ban since it wasn't on purpose it was an accident and i was never aware of it affecting the server i just believed i had a problem with my pc or my Byond client.
Ordo
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: OrdoM

Re: [OrdoM] - RSMXZ_ - Banned for degrading server performance

Post by Ordo » #515403

We've been having issues with people attacking the server lately, and one of the ways they've been doing so is by flooding commands in a very short span of time; in all likelihood, the extreme stuttering you were experiencing on your end led to commands being buffered and then sent out in large numbers in a short span of time, leading to repeated autokicks and the appearance of a flood attack. We're generally pretty likely to drop the hammer in the case of a suspected attack as was done here.

Make sure you don't have any autoclickers or other software of the type running while playing SS13; if you are encountering issues with extreme lag in BYOND, you may need to update it. However this story makes sense and it's fairly obvious this is an unfortunate case of genuine behavior mimicing that of an attack. I'll remove the ban promptly; thanks for the appeal, and sorry you got caught in the crossfire of the eternal server wars.
RSMXZ_

Post by RSMXZ_ » #515442

Thanks for the help and lifting the ban, hopefully this doesn't happen again since i already updated my Byond client and i don't even have autoclickers or any software of that sort.
Godspeed on the eternal server war.
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #515582

Keep in mind that these things happen in the server and our system will catch things that aren't intentionally malicious, never be afraid to make your case and appeal, that's what the process is here for.