Appeals which have been closed.
Sterscram

[<NecromancerAnne>] <Sterscram> - Banned for Admin not reading/understanding

Post by Sterscram » #515509

BYOND account: Sterscram
Character name: Brother Leroy
Ban type: Server
Ban length: Hour
Ban reason: You have been banned by NecromancerAnne from the server.
Reason: Spread a vomiting virus. When questioned, refused to answer until moved into admin prison as they continued the behaviour. When questioned further, basically still refused to really have an open discussion and hinted at the idea that they thought this might have been okay given previous experiences of other virologists spreading harmful viruses. I couldn\'t really ascertain if they read our rules, understood whether what they did was wrong or not, or if they did this because they were new, which they did admit. Any one of these could have been a factor, but they genuinely wouldn\'t give me a proper response given the hour long evasiveness and deflection they put up. I\'m amazed at how horribly you handled this. So let me put this in a fairly easy to read package because you refused to really explain to me if you understood my meaning. Read our rules, use formaldehyde to neuter viruses. Do not spread viruses that cause harmful effects as a nonantagonist. Vomiting is harmful, as it causes people to be stunned on the floor helplessly. Viruses with nonharmful effects are okay (just don\'t overdo it). Outright lethal viruses are bad as a nonantagonist. Please, read our rules.

Time ban was placed: 2019-09-19 09:12:16
Server you were playing on when banned: Sybil
Round ID in which ban was placed: The round ID is 119602
Your side of the story: new to virology, created a virus with 3 positive / 1 negative strain. Unknowing that I can separate individual strains, i infected multiple people. Apparently I had received admin messages (was not aware to this or what they looked like as am still new(which i announced many times once detained)) proceeded to answer questions (not overly nicely considering i was figuring out how and why i was teleported suddenly and dealing with admin.)
admin wasnt fond of my wording and therefore kept telling me i was evading the questions (which i answered in depth (perhaps too in depth for their comprehension)) was asked if was willful malicious intent or 'incompetence' (no wonder i didnt respond my politest) a number of times. even when using caps lock to spell the word incompetence, they still struggled to understand that was my direct answer to their question with only 2 options.
Why you think you should be unbanned: Since it was only an hour, i'll be back regardless. but I'd like this and them looked into. Maybe they can be taught how better to deal with newer players without having to flex their admin given powers and to act dumb when answered and then constantly repeat "that they werent answered"
References of good conduct: im still new, so i dont have any positive or negative references. ive only been dragged into sec once for suspicion, which i was cleared for anyway. Probably wasnt even rule related. was all ingame and in character related.
Sterscram

Re: [<NecromancerAnne>] <Sterscram> - Banned for Admin not reading/understanding

Post by Sterscram » #515525

Also if the admin at hand could bring up the chat logs between themselves and I, would be greatly appreciated. As not knowing I might've needed it (and being unable to do anything on the window) I naturally closed it.
Hopefully that should clear any air and bring better understanding.
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Re: [<NecromancerAnne>] <Sterscram> - Banned for Admin not reading/understanding

Post by Sandshark808 » #515568

Sterscram wrote:Also if the admin at hand could bring up the chat logs between themselves and I, would be greatly appreciated. As not knowing I might've needed it (and being unable to do anything on the window) I naturally closed it.
Hopefully that should clear any air and bring better understanding.
You can find all logs on statbus at https://sb.atlantaned.space/rounds
Search for your round ID and look for the "game.html" log file, which should list admin actions.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #515584

Out of a mixture of boredom and curiosity, I fetched the ahelp logs.

Logs acquired from: https://tgstation13.org/raw-logs/sybil/ ... 2/game.log (non-admins won't be able to access)

Rules used to filter:
Spoiler:
Filter by "ADMINPRIVATE: PM:"
Filter by "Sterscram"
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

[2019-09-19 08:59:52.381] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): Hey, do you know about what your virus does?
[2019-09-19 09:00:50.851] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): Hey, you listening? This is an admin talking.
[2019-09-19 09:02:21.404] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): You can reply by clicking on my name. I'd recommend you do so.
[2019-09-19 09:03:01.445] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): Alright buddy, if you're not going to reply in a timely manner after infecting everyone wit ha vomit virus I'm just going to perma you.
[2019-09-19 09:03:37.864] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): Alternatively....
[2019-09-19 09:05:03.060] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): Click my name to respond. What are you doing?
[2019-09-19 09:05:10.689] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): me?
[2019-09-19 09:05:23.966] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): Yes. Why are you infecting people with a vomit virus?
[2019-09-19 09:05:34.740] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): trying to figure out where the heck i teleported i guess, and no
[2019-09-19 09:05:52.273] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): I moved you via admin powers. What do you mean no?
[2019-09-19 09:06:16.274] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): "are you infecting peop;e with a vomit virus"#what else could no mean in a yes no question?
[2019-09-19 09:07:02.217] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): Name: Tissue Hydration.
[2019-09-19 09:07:29.315] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): VIRUS: ElCalvidor/(Leo Whiteman) was infected by virus: Alopecia sym:Vomiting, Nocturnal Regeneration, Tissue Hydration, Viral evolutionary acceleration and Alopecia r:-5 s:-2 ss:4 t:7 at (The Lightbulb (131, 128, 2))
[2019-09-19 09:07:59.969] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): Name: Tissue Hydration.#i have this one, the only negative side to it is hallucinate
[2019-09-19 09:08:36.347] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): is vomiting life threatening? cos i have it too now
[2019-09-19 09:08:40.229] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): No, you have a vomiting virus. I literally just showed you it. It's the one you're spreading. You can't lie when I have the facts. Also, you're currently vomiting because of your own virus.
[2019-09-19 09:09:05.638] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): Well, why are you spreading it?
[2019-09-19 09:09:45.884] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): the one i was spreading had hallucinate thats all i know of#i didnt see any with vomit
[2019-09-19 09:10:10.548] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): but you know more than i do about the game and can find shit yeah? its like my 3rd time viro#trying to learn new roles and give buffs
[2019-09-19 09:10:42.768] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): but other players and situations like this where i just get taken against will, where i see others commit murder then spend 5 mins behind bars with other characters
[2019-09-19 09:11:50.349] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): wait have i broken some sortof ingame rule or something? have i caused like a bloodbath or a rampage or had the intent to kill?
[2019-09-19 09:12:38.761] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm trying to ask why you're spreading a vomiting virus. I see that you had one in your machine that was hallucinate but you made one that caused vomiting as well and that's the one you've spread.
[2019-09-19 09:13:32.236] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): okay lets entertain the idea that's what ive done. even by mishap being third time as this role (incase you missed that part)
[2019-09-19 09:14:39.202] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): because ive answered your question to my abilities a multitude of times, but UK english doesnt seem to translate well to US english
[2019-09-19 09:15:01.068] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): why am i imprisoned as such
[2019-09-19 09:16:00.806] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): last round i was injected with a virus that caused spontanious combustion. causing my death, i then sat and watched for the remaining 45 minutes to be able to play again... hahaha.#and this round a few people what... throw up? and im admin jailed?
[2019-09-19 09:16:59.577] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): Because you wouldn't respond to me and kept infecting people. The reason I'm asking is exactly how and why you were spreading a virus like that in the first place. And why you would have spread a hallucination virus instead.
[2019-09-19 09:17:40.069] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): im on that rules page to figure out why im here for throwing up
[2019-09-19 09:18:25.866] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): last time was escalation, so i accepted the fate that succumbed me. i didnt want this sortof fate to happen to someone that i have to go through right now. but maybe i shouldve considering that made me die, and this has made how many people die?
[2019-09-19 09:19:19.763] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): It's Rule 1. Either way, why were you infecting people with a virus like that? Why would you infect someone with hallucination? You've not actually really given me much of an answer.
[2019-09-19 09:21:10.604] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): oh that i can answer easily, the one i was spreading had 3 or 4 positives, and that was the only downside. i had tested it on myself to make sure it wasnt drug like state or anything of the kind#and besides im still new and trying to figure it all out, they were what i got to create, and since they werent threatening life or stopping anyone from actually being able to play (like right now for instance) i thought hell, its a realistic outcome in a simulated experience. unless everyone is absolutely striving for perfection with absolutely no downsides
[2019-09-19 09:21:49.178] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): im trying to have an online experience with other people and not just have it as smooth as silk. sometimes there are hiccups, and if it were to have been worse than what it is, there are basic cures are there not?
[2019-09-19 09:22:26.603] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): i mean, dont worry if youre trying to just bully new players into only striving for perfection and to try and lose the edge of fun in gaming, you are doing a great job.
[2019-09-19 09:23:03.788] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): are you understanding any of this? or just trying to skim through it to devise your next set of questions?
[2019-09-19 09:23:27.835] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): Okay well hot tip. You can neuter virus symptoms with formaldehyde (as much as .1 unit) to keep the statistics in the virus and not have the bad symptoms occur. It takes a bit of work and random chance (so you need to keep printing new virus bottles and injecting it with formaldehyde until you get the symptom neutered.
[2019-09-19 09:23:52.677] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): let me put this in notes, since someone is trying to finally lend a hand or tip instead of flexing
[2019-09-19 09:25:07.951] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): Anything else helpful down there so that other players dont try and hinder my online experience for the sake of their own ego again?
[2019-09-19 09:25:35.005] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): also do people get admin jailed for soaping the floors?
[2019-09-19 09:26:00.780] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): seen that cause a lot more havoc than the throwing up today, considering i didnt see much of that
[2019-09-19 09:26:37.428] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): This has gone on for like 30 minutes way more than it had too, I just wanted to know why and have a talk about viruses so we could tease out the problem...Please, just answer administrator PM's when they happen.
[2019-09-19 09:27:09.127] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): lawdy, im gonna say this one last time, for your sake, not mine. ITS LIKE MY THIRD FUCKING SHIFT HAHAHAHAAHAH
[2019-09-19 09:27:41.704] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): I didnt realise i had any 'admin message' til i was in here. everyone else has managed to approach my character and do it in game
[2019-09-19 09:28:19.118] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): I know, I'm fully aware, I'm just trying to talk. I moved you here because you wouldn't respond. We're still here because I have no idea if you're actually acknowledging what I've told you.
[2019-09-19 09:29:15.361] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): what you've asked me* cos i definitely understood when you gave me the tip, the rest has been you trying to get me to explain the same thing in different ways
[2019-09-19 09:29:53.683] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): could you put whatever you were trying to relay to me in a short burst of a message? so that i can attempt at it
[2019-09-19 09:30:33.395] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): like i said, id like to try and get back to the online experience. but maybe next shift as this one has been taken up by people weirdly flexing their powers given to them
[2019-09-19 09:30:36.317] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): Well actually what I wanted to know if it was a matter of incompetence or willful malcious intent. Like, I wanted your justification and you didn't give even a hint of that for roughly...30 minutes. Of...rambling basically.
[2019-09-19 09:31:04.846] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): ahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha this 30 mins was worth it if your message you wanted to get across to me was yet another question
[2019-09-19 09:31:43.460] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): THIRD#TIME#VIRO##DIDNT KNOW ABOUT EXTRACTING##IN COM PE TENCE#KINDA LIKE WHATS HAPPENING HERE
[2019-09-19 09:32:07.490] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): Well, there is an easy method giving you a message you can read for a good while I suppose if you're just going to be difficult if you'd prefer that method. You're being incredibly difficult for what is quite frankly a fairly routine discussion about this.
[2019-09-19 09:32:48.409] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): It feels like the difficulty lie elsewhere, but being the one with the power, im sure you'd much rather me just shower you in praise and tell you how right you are?
[2019-09-19 09:32:58.694] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): Well, the subject matter. Usually we have a nice talk about this without having to use such serious admin tools because most people don't jump to incredible amounts of evasiveness and defensiveness.
[2019-09-19 09:33:37.589] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): evasiveness hahahha lawdy, could you do me a favour and look at every 2 messages i send you after you ask a question? then reevaluate that
[2019-09-19 09:34:08.800] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow)->Sterscram/(Brother Leroy): I'm gonna give you an hour break because this is giving me a migraine and honestly I'm not really sure what your intent was and frankly you're not going to give me a straight answer.
[2019-09-19 09:34:34.986] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): not sure on intent? jesus christ, god help you
[2019-09-19 09:35:23.323] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): is there any other admins? this is beyond a joke at this stage. i thought you were having a laugh but the more serious i find you are being, the more challenging this becomes to fathom
[2019-09-19 09:36:07.698] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): havent even broken the rules, which you sent to me (even though i was already on the page)
[2019-09-19 09:36:36.950] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): well, ill set a timer for an hour and see if you are done abusing your privelidges by then
[2019-09-19 09:40:03.586] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Sterscram/(Brother Leroy)->NecromancerAnne/(Sheness Hollow): and i suppose there arent people above yourself or equal to yourself (or at least now) are there?
As a general precedent, causing undue grief, whether it causes death or not, has been seen as a rule 1 issue. While lack of familiarity/accidents can mitigate this somewhat, generally it still calls for some punishment (especially since intent is hard to gauge). While the banning admin would have a better idea of the damage caused, it's fair to say that a day-ban is on the pretty low end of punishments handed.

I'd also note as a point of fact that AdminPMs are generally hard to miss, with extremely large, red, bold text and a specialized sound effect for when they come in. It's not impossible, but you were messaged 4 separate times before being adminprisoned.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #515587

So, in the round this occured, you spread a vomiting virus among the crew which you called 'Tissue Hydration' with no neutered symptoms. The virus in question caused people to continually vomit.

When I contacted you multiple times you still didn't respond. I nearly decided to handle this here by forcing you to respond on the forums but then decided against it and to instead admin prison you because I saw you were new and the virus did have some positive symtpoms.

I then tried to have you explain your intent and work out whether it was willful maliciousness or incompetence as to whether you spread a stunning virus. You started talking about a hallucination virus and basicaly being as unhelpful as imaginable and obsfucating your intent behind a whole lot of word vomit because communicating with you was the equivalency of driving nails into my eyes. What would have been a fairly normal, routine discussion about the dos and don'ts of the server turned into a literal hour of you saying nothing at me in a way that was quite hostile for no reason. From the moment you started communicating you jumped to an aggressive stance, and wouldn't honestly interface with me on what was being said. I couldn't get a straight answer, I couldn't get you to acknowledge what I was telling you in an affirmative way.

I just gave up and booted you for an hour. I'm going to deny this because I really don't want to deal with this further.
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #515593

This ahelp conversation is extremely confusing and I can easily see why NecromancerAnne's assumption is that you were acting in bad faith. They asked you several times in a perfectly reasonable way why you created a virus that causes vomiting and spread it amongst the crew. You denied that you did at first, claiming that you made a different virus even though evidence was provided against you otherwise. Following that you then made the claim that things shouldn't run "smooth as silk" to make the round more interesting by creating an "experience." Then once again you change and begin to speak more like you just didn't know what you were doing and it's because of your inexperience.

When the administrator tried to point out to you that all of these didn't add up leading to the difficulty of the ticket, you took that opportunity to mock them and imply that they're going on some kind of power trip and expecting you to "shower them with praise."

None of these things are true, and as Arianya has stated above we do not let people off the hook for doing things just because they are new. We may make exceptions or provide leniency in certain cases where we're led to believe someone truly didn't know what they were doing. Reading the logs there's nothing convincing there to show that you were acting in good faith when you made the virus to begin with, particularly with comments implying that making a bad virus among the crew makes the round more entertaining. This ban was for a single hour, not even a full day, as such I see nothing wrong here that needs to be overturned.