IcePacks
Byond Username: IcePacks

[Raveradbury] Paxium and the Lost Spellchecker

Post by IcePacks » #554273

BYOND account: IcePacks
Character name: Paxium LXIX
Ban type: The game
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: MRP - Spent a round shouting in allcaps and poor grammar about getting amputation shears as MD, then used them on the first crit patient he had. MRP Rule 6. However, this perma is in regards to chronic rule 1 violation.
Time ban was placed: 22:18:26 04-08-2020
Server you were playing on when banned: Manuel
Round ID in which ban was placed: 134254
Your side of the story: I was playing medical doctor on Manuel to get the opportunity to do some freaky transhuman shit with peoples' organs (oh, and also save lives). I spent much of the round not doing anything and wishing I had amputators. Eventually, after mugging (and fixing up, of course) the clown, I got my shiny pair of limb-shears. I waited for a bit, saw two patients in treatment on our ever-changing stasis bed setup, and started trying to swap moth limbs with human limbs. Naturally, the other doctor treating the patients assumed I was just hacking off limbs and reported me. With dinner waiting and no intent of explaining my desire to mix-and-match my patients' anatomy, I decided to check out what the suicide text was with the amputators (there is none, just a heads-up, coders). Got back a bit later, joined up as a doctor again to explore the world of medicine, disconnected, tried to log in and found out I was banned.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I can see this as a temporary jobban, but a permaban seems extremely excessive (unless you're trying to summon me to the forums for a debate, which makes sense). My "many rule 1 violations" have timestamps and I don't believe any I've accrued recently warrant a ban for taking someone's leg on a stasis bed where it can be reattached in a few seconds. For sanity's sake I'm going to ignore the bits about grammar and allcaps since it's a trivial matter at best and a personal attack at worst.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: [Raveradbury] Paxium and the Lost Spellchecker

Post by RaveRadbury » #554298

Hey thanks for appealing.

Thank you for explaining the time gap between when I first bwoinked you and your eventual rejoining of the server. I held off the end of the round to speak with you and not hearing back from you on it factored into my decision making here. Committing suicide directly after your surgery scheme didn't work out didn't look good, either. I've looked through your logs from that day and I see that it was hasty and incorrect of me to say that you were using bad grammar, I was overwhelmed by your decision to make all of your characters speak with capslock on and I made a bad call.

I think a temporary job ban is reasonable in this situation. If a week off of medical sounds okay to you I can move forward on it.

Having this settled, I would like to assert that your decision to have your characters speak in allcaps is detrimental to the MRP experience, as we have methods of shouting IC and allcapsing has been considered rude and distracting on the internet for like, decades now. I'd like to request that you don't engage this speech quirk on our MRP server.
IcePacks
Byond Username: IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #554492

I think a week tempban on medical is excessive for someone messing around with a new system, but since the alternative seems to be a permaban, I'll take it.

On the other hand: Me talking in all caps is (aside from being preferential to spamming the chat logs with emphasized, bold text) hardly a matter more detrimental to Manuel's RP experience than, say, people running around covered in blood (I think anyone reading this thread would be disinclined to continue wearing a pair of shoes after stepping in a pile of human offal in them). Everyone has their taste in character bits and to enforce your particular preference for roleplay on a roleplay server is a greater detriment to the experience than any particular gimmick I can think of, hence why I said it really didn't warrant discussion at all.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #554494

The way in which you messed around with the system isn't okay for MRP. A lot of jobs have systems like these, none of them include a license to engage willy-nilly. Novelty is not an excuse for bad behavior.

The old server ban has been removed, the new role ban is in place.

Comparing a system like hygiene to your conscious decision to have your characters go off in allcaps aren't really comparable. One's an immersive experience and the other is a breach of ancient netiquette. I am going so far as to say the difference between bolded statements in chat against allcaps is significant enough that its worth doing something about.

Thank you for taking the time to engage this ban appeal.