[Discord Ban Appeal] Formal Headmin Review

Appeals which have been closed.
tinodrima7020
Byond Username: TinoDrima7020

[Discord Ban Appeal] Formal Headmin Review

Post by tinodrima7020 » #590526

Discord username: Sauswich#1155
Banning Admin:Hulkamania
Ban Reason: Calling transgender people tranny, freaks of nature (wasn't referring to transgenders, was referring to Lil Nas, Chief), and other assorted friendly phrases. (AKA: Slur Ban)
Your side of the story:

Well I have tried to voice the unfairness of the ban, seeing as it was instantly locked with zero rebuttal from me and I am 99% sure Hulkamania just saw the carefully cherrypicked image, along with whichever headmin he sent the image to, without going to any of the instances so let's start again with some key facts.

The person that has reported me not only has me blocked, meaning they would have to go through all of my messages and click to see them, but in several of the instances that they so carefully screenshotted coincidentally involved them. Kind of a bad faith actor if you ask me.
Masterfully Crafted Collage from the Reporter
Spoiler:
NSFW:
I'm fairly sure that Lil Nas is not a transgender and does indeed identify as a male. So yes, when I see a man with a beard and double-e titties I think it's safe to say that they are a freak of nature, and I am not the only one that thought this when I shared the image. Plus I was clearly responding to someone insinuating I was a bigot when I am not.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Nowhere in these images did I directly attack a transgender member of the community or actively voice a burning hatred or extreme disgust towards a transgender. No, what we have here a ban on words, of course you wouldn't admit that, but let's call it for what it is.

But let's get to the double standards, if you were to look for people actively voicing slurs for black people
NSFW:
niggers
as they like to call them, you'd find instances of this I'm sure, along with people actively saying transgender slurs, I know for a fact that there is an admin on the team that does use the word
NSFW:
tranny
, but that's not important. What is important is how there are uneven standards applied across with Rule 12 and is simply a tool to remove those that someone dislikes for the words and ideas they hold.

Now the cherry on top. The person that reported me and is inciting replies from me, Blurbo (cross my heart and hope to die if it isn't, but I'm pretty sure he made the collage and submitted the report), has me blocked. Which means he has to actually click through every message I send, he then saved up all of these messages that were sent over the span of weeks and neatly collages them, cutting out any and all of his involvement. So what you are telling me is that anyone can just make a nice little collage of slurs and send it to an admin. Furthermore, they can incite responses from a person and use that as ammunition, such as is the case here.

So no, this was not a bigotry ban, nowhere did I actively go out of my way to voice a distaste for transgenders, I was replying to a bad faith actor who then took my replies and essentially used it to ban bait me over "bigotry". Never mind the fact that he has made insinuations about me and my race when I have definitely mentioned that I am Black or the fact that there are several admins on the team and a handful of players that actively use the word
NSFW:
nigger
If you're going to enforce rule 12, do it uniformly and call it for what it is. In this very instance, it was a slur ban. A slur ban in an inherently toxic and politically incorrect place.

Additionally: You should not be able to incite someone to respond to you and carry on conversations with said person and then go around and use what they say to get them banned. Nowhere has Blurbo ever mentioned being uncomfortable or under duress with what I have said and instead chooses to actively engage me, even while having me blocked.
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Re: [Discord Ban Appeal] Formal Headmin Review

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #590672

Worth bringing in for support of example four:
sauspossiblynotashitter.PNG
this was directly after blurbo called saus out for using the term in question in that context.

I don't like seeing people who I call "friends" get in fights with each other. Locklyle (scales mcgee in saus's posts, Fluff McGuff in my recently-taken snip) said he was fine with it and no offence was taken/he was called worse. The only person having a problem there was blurbo.

Although I'm not going to go anywhere near saying "that makes it ok see haha", but I think it excuses sauswich pretty well for that example.
Last edited by Omega_DarkPotato on Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gum disease
Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Post by gum disease » #590734

I'mma post stuff too since this addresses the "Dilate" comment in addition to the "Omega is a tranny?" question. Sorry for the shit cropping + large image:
Spoiler:
So from here, it appears he wasn't telling a trans person to "dilate" and was responding to that "seethe, cope, dilate" meme you see on imageboards, and that Blurbo misconstrued who the "target" was.
Omega responded to tino/saus and clarified that he isn't trans either, and didn't seem to say anything in that conversation that would suggest taking offense to saus' impolite question.

Given that Blurbo didn't respond to saus after being told that he wasn't talking about Stella (who appears to be trans - apologies if this is not the case!), it's a bit odd that he still included these contextless excerpts in the screenshot that was eventually used to supplement/justify the Discord ban. Furthermore, Blurbo didn't leave the conversation at that point, but continued to post afterwards, so it's highly likely he saw this clarification made by saus.

As he is banned, saus can't access the Discord server to be able to pull his own logs, sooo hopefully this is deemed acceptable and not peanut-posting.
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #590743

I think that it's important to note that the way Saus talks about trans people (calling them "a transgender", using the slur "tranny") is pretty indicative of someone who holds some serious prejudice against trans people.

It's also important to note that just because others have done things against the rules and were not punished does not absolve you from punishment.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
tinodrima7020
Byond Username: TinoDrima7020

Post by tinodrima7020 » #590747

Vekter wrote:I think that it's important to note that the way Saus talks about trans people (calling them "a transgender", using the slur "tranny") is pretty indicative of someone who holds some serious prejudice against trans people.

It's also important to note that just because others have done things against the rules and were not punished does not absolve you from punishment.
So then I guess it's safe to say that everyone else saying "tranny" and "nigger" also hold prejudice against transsexuals and black people and you just straight up admitted that this is indeed a targeted ban, rather than a comprehensive enforcement of a vague rule. And no, I don't hold serious prejudice against trans people, I've held conversations with trans members in the channel just fine without insulting or degrading them. When I've said the slur, I've never directed it at any transsexual member and I think I should be able to say slurs along with everyone else because when shitposting in the Shitposting With Politics channels, Shitpost as the Shitposters do, unless slurs are against the rules which I was under the impression they weren't.

Also, I've received this image lately, referencing me as a "halfie". I take offense to that so could you go ahead and remove this member from the community. I am sure there are other biracial members in the community who do not appreciate being belittled for their race.
Spoiler:
Oh and uh, the admins are a bit rude too
Spoiler:
"It doesn't matter" that I'm black.
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #591006

I was the headmin who gave hulk the go ahead with the ban, so I think I should make a post myself about the ban and the reason I decided it was justified,

Alright, so I will sort through this from the beginning which starts with discussion amongst discord mods,
Spoiler:
I approached it initially with a healthy amount of skepticism as any collage like this is likely to paint someone in a bad light and potentially be photoshopped. I specifically verified several of the screenshots and found them to be justifiable for a ban reason on their own, irrespective of any others included in this collage.
This is why I said "yup", effectively giving hulk the go ahead.

Now I will examine each verified screenshot in specific,
Spoiler:
So we have, "saus is totally gay and black i swear", ok that is arguably a form of bait or what have you. The response from saus is "I'm not a faggot" "Gross". Now, faggot as a generic insult is fine, that is fully protected under rule 12.
Here that is obviously not the case, and a "gross" is slapped on there as well. That’s a clear cut rule 12 violation to me.
Spoiler:
Heres the context around the second screenshot, "Either they thought you looked like a faggot" "or a woman" "neither a good sign".
I cannot really find any instance of bait here, and this looks moreso like just a conversation. So, "neither a good sign" in reference to "faggot...or a woman" is also pretty clearly a rule 12 violation as the slur here isn't being used just as some kind of generic insult.
Spoiler:
So the context for this instance, was someone posted an image of Lil nas X with boobs from twitter. Another user responded what amounts to bait with, "so bigots like saus can seethe".
Which saus responded with "If I'm a bigot for not liking freaks of nature" "Call me Hitler". With the "freaks of nature" specifically being against the image posted. This is again, a rule 12 break referring to a man with boobs as a "freak of nature" is indeed bigoted.
Spoiler:
Here we have saus responding to a line from blurbo, "It wasnt a slippery slope" "LGBT was supported" "now we have kids becoming trans". This effectively paints the LGBT movement as a slippery slope, which continues to the trend of you expressing your bigoted views.

To sum things up, the provider of these images does not matter to me, once the information and context has been verified. This appeal is about your behavior, not anyone else's, so that is completely irrelevant.
Someone attempting to elicit a response from you does not then absolve you of all rule breaking behavior. I will also say that once I’ve been made aware of potentially rule breaking behavior I’m going to investigate it, as no one is exempt from the rules.

You violated rule 12 multiple times by expressing bigotry towards protected groups, slurs as generic insults are not bannable. It is clear as seen above that you were not using them as generic insults. This is not a slur ban, this is a ban for bigotry, and the discord will be better off with you removed.
Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #591010

The desire for the no bigotry rule was explicitly to remove the expression of bigotry from the community, slurs being used outside of that context were never included under that. We are satisfied that this ban was placed for violation of that rule and nothing more. We want every individual in TG to enjoy themselves here, and the expression of bigotry stands in the way of that enjoyment for many. This appeal is rejected.

Headmin Votes:
Naloac:Uphold
Coconut:Uphold
Domitius:Uphold - The allegations that you've raised against other community members will continue to be investigated. Also the way this information came to light was constructed in a way to directly attack another community member which included out of context screenshots in several places to make them look worse. As such this will also be investigated.

Regardless though what was verified demanded that steps be taken to remove you from the discord and will not hamper your abilities to play on the servers.
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032