Harricross - Unresponsive in ahelp and suspected metagaming

Appeals which have been closed.
teesap
Byond Username: Vasilik

Harricross - Unresponsive in ahelp and suspected metagaming

Post by teesap » #621130

Hello -

I received a ban yesterday night for the reasons stated in the subject, as well as for allegedly assaulting the chef.
I wish to appeal this ban and request it to be commuted to a temporary/week ban.

My friend and I had not played SS13 in years and decided to have a go at it, in /tg/ of course, as it was my usual haunt before. He and I chatted on the phone prior to the round, discussing what our plans are. Mine was to be the chemist and make medicine and potentially sell illicit drugs on the side (I want more cr), whereas he was playing bartender, which is his usual job.
We agreed that during the round we would find one another at our workplaces and see if we can sell drugs + alcohol for maximal profit. However, few people came, and at some point, I got blown up while cooking. He ran over cause he heard the boom, and saw me getting carted off to med-bay and later, robotics. I got prosthetic limbs and decided to go back to chem, but had no requests from crewmembers, so I went to the bar. Ran around a bit, found a plasma cutter, accidentally blew up a fuel tank while trying to fill it up, and needed another leg.

We ran around for a bit and he was holding people up with a cap gun due to not having any paying customers for the entire round(prior to my second maiming and after, I believe), and ran into some lizardmen. They offered to help teach my friend (barkeep) to call in robots to get paying customers, as none came by. I was not paying attention but heard someone fire a gun and then heard fighting, so I started wailing on the dude closest to me. I ran away, but some doctor shot me and killed me. I was then a robotic brain in a janitor's pocket, saying creepy things that had no bearing on the game and were wholly IC.

I never saw a single admin message/notification - not one for the entire time I played the round. Additionally, I've played a few rounds with the same friend. We chatted with Sunshine Day for most of the round, then Sunshine and I both were killed by a flying rod. I am telling you this part because both Howard/my friend and I both communicate heavily in in-game chat, but speak little to one another because we already have a basic plan for the round.

Please consider this appeal, I will avoid breaking aggro rules in the future, as well as keep my eye out for admin notification. Thank you.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: Harricross - Unresponsive in ahelp and suspected metagaming

Post by Mothblocks » #621143

Please follow the ban appeal template.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
teesap

Post by teesap » #621154

BYOND account: Vasilik
Character name: Richard Bigg-Packins
Ban type:Permanent Server
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: Banned from the server permanently - Unresponsive in ahelps after multiple tries while they were active in game. Had the same last name IC as Desertrat1943 and both attempted to beat the chef to death after Desertrat1943 stated it was a robbery as non-antagonists. Without any response and some iffy wordless interactions between you two, I'm inclined to believe there is metacommunications happening on top of random grief.
Time ban was placed:~11:30PM PST
Server you were playing on when banned: Manuel
Round ID in which ban was placed: Do not know
Your side of the story: I received a ban yesterday night for the reasons stated in the subject, as well as for allegedly assaulting the chef.
I wish to appeal this ban and request it to be commuted to a temporary/week ban.

My friend and I had not played SS13 in years and decided to have a go at it, in /tg/ of course, as it was my usual haunt before. He and I chatted on the phone prior to the round, discussing what our plans are. Mine was to be the chemist and make medicine and potentially sell illicit drugs on the side (I want more cr), whereas he was playing bartender, which is his usual job.
We agreed that during the round we would find one another at our workplaces and see if we can sell drugs + alcohol for maximal profit. However, few people came, and at some point, I got blown up while cooking. He ran over cause he heard the boom, and saw me getting carted off to med-bay and later, robotics. I got prosthetic limbs and decided to go back to chem, but had no requests from crewmembers, so I went to the bar. Ran around a bit, found a plasma cutter, accidentally blew up a fuel tank while trying to fill it up, and needed another leg.

We ran around for a bit and he was holding people up with a cap gun due to not having any paying customers for the entire round(prior to my second maiming and after, I believe), and ran into some lizardmen. They offered to help teach my friend (barkeep) to call in robots to get paying customers, as none came by. I was not paying attention but heard someone fire a gun and then heard fighting, so I started wailing on the dude closest to me. I ran away, but some doctor shot me and killed me. I was then a robotic brain in a janitor's pocket, saying creepy things that had no bearing on the game and were wholly IC.

I never saw a single admin message/notification - not one for the entire time I played the round. Additionally, I've played a few rounds with the same friend. We chatted with Sunshine Day for most of the round, then Sunshine and I both were killed by a flying rod. I am telling you this part because both Howard/my friend and I both communicate heavily in in-game chat, but speak little to one another because we already have a basic plan for the round.

Please consider this appeal, I will avoid breaking aggro rules in the future, as well as keep my eye out for admin notification. Thank you.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I was not metagaming in the strict sense, as all actions that I undertook within the server were IC: I saw someone attacking my "brother" and jumped in to tussle. However, I understand that I had no right to fight, as he/we were the aggressors. Additionally, I did not receive any notification of admin contact attempts - no popups appeared, so I was unaware. I genuinely would not ignore them had I seen them, as that is absolutely unacceptable. Finally, I have conducted myself properly in every game prior, serving people food, drinks, or chemicals upon request. If unbanned/temp banned, I promise to not act in ways that breach the /tg/ station rules.
References of good conduct: Sunshine Day, Ceejay (unsure of last name), and anyone who came to the bar or kitchen in the last 2 days can attest to my decent character.
Anything else we should know: I've never been banned from any other servers.
Harricross
Byond Username: Harricross

Post by Harricross » #621172

Hi there, thanks for making an appeal.

First thing's first, logs can be found here: https://tgstation13.org/parsed-logs/man ... nd-174100/

I refuse to believe that there were no ahelps appearing for you since multiple other ahelps had gone through and were successfully responded to during that shift. I gave you both three chances to respond with about five minutes in-between. I must admit, I could've definitely admin jailed you or forced a pop-up to get your attention better and that's on me for not thinking about it at the time.

I'll unban the both of you since this would've probably just been a day ban and it's already been a day, but I'll be leaving additional notes that you two know each other outside of the game.

Relevant logs for over-escalation:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
teesap

Post by teesap » #621202

Hi sir,

Firstly I wish to apologise again for the rude in-game behaviour. As promised, I will avoid breaking rules in the near future, as well as for the rest of the time that I will play on /tg/ servers.

I swear to you that I was not receiving ahelp notifications. For some reason my BYOND was also not letting me access the keybinds page, nor any other page outside of the regular chat. For the future, I will keep my eyes peeled for any notices.

And thank you for considering and allowing us to be unbanned. We will not disappoint you