Avylaar
Byond Username: Avylaar

[Discord] [Thunder12345] Avylaar - "Graphic" Spoilered Video

Post by Avylaar » #621613

Discord account: Wing#7101
Character name: Avylaar (Lloyd)
Ban type: Discord
Ban length: "Warning" (Still a ban).
Ban reason: "Posted a graphic video of a gang shooting in politics containment, even spoilered with a warning this is wel (sic) beyond what should be getting posted here. Went offline before they could be spoken to about the video, appeal on the forums with your side of the story, please."
Time ban was placed: +- 10 Pm CEST.
Server you were playing on when banned: Discord
Your side of the story: I saw a violent video. I read the rules. "Clearly mark NSFW" with spoilers and a warning, which I did. I shared the video. Got banned.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I did not post this in bad faith.
I appear as offline, was never warned or pm'd. I got kicked somewhere about 25 minutes ago while playing a shift on Terry.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this grainy 360p video of a gang shooting was violent. It was not something I'd categorize as gore. A modern thriller/war movie has worse. I have seen worse IRL.
In fact, a brutal UFC video could be seen as quite the lot more graphic. Youtube would not forbid this, save the evident 18+ warning, as per the many police shootings and war footage. Where do you draw the line?
As per the rules, I spoilered and warned any suspecting audience with a NSFW tag, and still got kicked for it?
References of good conduct: 1000+Hs ingame, 6500 messages on Discord.
Anything else we should know: I respect that it's not my server, no problem. Unban me, I'll simply not post any violent webms in the discord. Back to the egregious cat spam, I suppose...
I dislike arguing semantics about where the line should be drawn; we're on a 18+ server, where I clearly tagged, and spoilered, as per the rules, a violent, 360p video of some morbid violence. But, please do state what you refer to as allowed "NSFW". Is a UFC video fine? Kyle Rittenhouse's televised shooting? I linked this far from the TGstation "community" stuff, in Politics Containment, spoilered and tagged, where I occasionally post a link, or video of some politicized event. A simple pm or ping, and message deletion would've sufficed...

Kind regards,
Last edited by Avylaar on Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: [Discord] Avylaar - "Graphic" Spoilered Video

Post by Vekter » #621646

Banning admin is Thunder12345.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #621652

I second his good conduct on discord, although he has bragged about his vast library of (graphic i believe?) war footage before, could be wrong, maybe it was a different person who did that
Avylaar

Post by Avylaar » #621665

@Vekter, @Timonk, Well appreciated, subject title amended.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Re: [Discord] [Thunder12345] Avylaar - "Graphic" Spoilered Video

Post by Thunder11 » #622186

Apologies for the delay in responding to this, I've been busy recently and it slipped my mind. A video of several people being murdered is way beyond what any reasonable person could expect to see when browsing even politics containment, and is not something we want to see getting posted. I'll reduce this ban to a week, so it'll be lifted in about 24 hours from this post. Please do stick to the cat videos in future, and away from this kind of content.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Avylaar

Re: [Discord] [Thunder12345] Avylaar - "Graphic" Spoilered Video

Post by Avylaar » #622583

Appreciated and understood. The times are busy, after all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe to have been misjudged. I don't believe this treatment to be warranted by the situation.

On one hand, you could have seen me to be a more experienced member of the community. I have, as stated, over 6500 messages on our discord, with a reasonably long membership. I'll quote Timonk here "... good conduct" (much obliged). I was active in #events-bus, (rearing to) helping out with the Winter ball. You could have simply deleted the message, and talked to me. Had you asked me to delete it myself, I would have unquestionably done so.
Instead, I was simply banned without response for (nearly) a week.

Secondly, and I'll stand by it, though a harder argument to make: the content did not warrant a (week long) ban.
I agree it was morbid footage, and not for all viewers, but it was properly "spoiler-ed" and tagged with a "VERY NSFW" - warning. The video was purposefully not embed in the chat.
Similar footage has been shown on TV, albeit censored.
You word it differently; I'd word it as extreme violence during a seemingly calm and normal situation.
How a peaceful situation can go from 0 to 100 incredibly fast, and the polarity between our own mostly peaceful societies, and this one, wrecked by amongst which such violence.
I admit, I could have searched for a censored version, but that was not on hand.
To my understanding, it was in accordance with the rules (and discord TOS).

I understand the rules to be applied "at your discretion", and don't doubt for a second you have the unquestioning support of the entire admin team, but I do feel a decision was made too rapidly.
I don't feel as if this warrants a permanent blemish onto me.

Kind regards,