[coconutwarrior97]TheGayRhinoceros

Appeals which have been closed.
TheGayRhinoceros

[coconutwarrior97]TheGayRhinoceros

Post by TheGayRhinoceros » #626916

BYOND account: TheGayRhinoceros
Character name: Homes Hippo (I'm not 100% sure it was that)
Ban Type: Server
Ban Length: Permanent
Ban reason: Evasion as per last note
Time ban was placed: 13:25:25
Server you were playing when banned: Sybil (probably, might have been terry)
Round ID in which you were banned: This was doesn't have an ID, but the ID of my precious perma ban was 166101
your side of the story:I was trying to evade a permaban that I had received that was applied for Lying in ahelps. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=29494 here. I have continued playing ss13 despite my TG ban, This has been mostly relegated to Fulpstion. There I have done my best to clean up my act with regards to my ooc behavior, attitude towards admins, and in game behavior specifically towards sec. I have stopped petty remarks towards admins and have remained honest in all tickets I was involved in. There is no story as to why I tried to ban evade. I did it and it was a mistake. I regret the decision and there is no excuse for it. I’m keeping it simple as there isn’t much to say. I regret arguing with the admins in the forums. It really didn’t help and it showed immaturity that I have since (in my own opinion) outgrown. Overall I hope that the admins find me worthy to play again and to be on /TG/ station once again.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I realize and fully accept that ban evasion is an offence with nothing to come back from. What I intend here is not to argue that I deserve to play. What I am asking for here is a second chance.
TheGayRhinoceros

Re: [coconutwarrior97]TheGayRhinoceros

Post by TheGayRhinoceros » #627030

I forgot the date. It was applied on 08-02-2021
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #628035

coconutwarrior97 was originally notified when you first made the appeal.

Under Guideline 3 for admins in the appeals board:
If the banning admin has not responded to an appeal within two days any other Game Admin may ping the administrator in regards to the appeal. If the banning admin does not respond within 24 hours, or just hands it off the admin may take over the appeal. Discord bans may only be taken over by other discord moderators.
I have notified coco of my intent to take over this appeal if he doesn't respond in the next 24 hours. Apologies for the delay and thanks for your patience so far!
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
TheGayRhinoceros

Post by TheGayRhinoceros » #628105

Thank you for offering to handle my appeal. I very much appreciate it!
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #628304

Coco still hasn't responded after 24h, so I will formally take over this appeal on his behalf.

Looking this incident up I have dug up the following:
  • You were permabanned for evading a ban placed by jaredfogle @ 2021-07-17 05:21:57. That ban was for ban baiting and lying in ahelps.
  • Your note history indicates this wasn't your first time enhancing the truth in ahelps.
  • The permaban was seen as a bit too harsh and was reduced from a perma to "time already served" by the headmins of that time.
  • You'd evaded before the headmins made their ruling and thus were freshly banned for evasion instead.
I looked into Fulpstation as they have public bans. You have a storied history there https://centcom.melonmesa.com/viewer/vi ... rhinoceros and it's worrying.

I am worried not because I care about validhunting or self-antagging or any of Fulp's weird, wild and wonderful standards where you get monthbanned for hunting down a cult as a sentient golem using a null rod before they had halos...' Their house, their rules.

My worry is your 4 steadily escalating bans since the end of November on Fulp show a difficulty in following their server rules, however dumb or shitty they may be. That aforementioned validhunting ban was placed the day after you put this appeal forward.

I very much respect your approach to the appeal. You were clear that you fucked up. You've gone through areas where your conduct was lacking and assured us that you've tightened up your act. There's not much else you can do than own up to it.

Despite that, I'm not convinced that you are able to stick within the rules. It's hard to unban you when all I can see is evidence that you're struggling to follow the rules on other servers. I can just see the same issues happening here if you do get unbanned.

I'd like to know what your thoughts are. Would you honestly go ahead with any sort of unban if our roles were reversed?
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
TheGayRhinoceros

Post by TheGayRhinoceros » #628317

Thank you for asking for my input, and letting me have some more insight into the situation! Honestly I cannot really give you an accurate thoughts if our roles were reversed. I would say give the guy a second chance as I usually error on the side of forgiveness but, I am to biased to give a fair judgement. I see what you are saying, The same way I played the game when I started is still the same way I like to play the game. Even with some polish and shine (ie. improving behavior towards sec, and respecting admins authority far more than I originally did). My attitude and playstyle were forged in LRP and I think you can see that. I don't know my note history on /TG/ but I do remember it being relatively clean at least. The way I play fits /TG/ far more than it does Fulp but I don't believe it would be perfect. There are still jagged edges in my behavior that will likely clash with the server rules if I don't fix them, so I think a good solution would be an extended/stricter probation period if you decide to let me play again. I think this would force me to fit more in line with the rules. I think 1-3 months would work well but, I am willing to accept any length of time on this probation.

From my position I imagine an admin always wants more players but doesn't want people who are just trouble. If I were to be allowed back onto /TG/ I would likely be a scientist doing xenobiology. On Fulp I learned a lot of its secrets and I have a lot of fun with it. SS13 is probably my favorite multiplayer game and I would be overjoyed just to be able to play again. No matter your decision on weather to unban me or not I appreciate you taking the time to consider my case and, thank you for the opportunity to appeal.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #628331

It's less about what I want, and more about the rest of our playerbase. Admins deal with petty issues as our bread-and-butter for ahelps. But it sucks when players are prowling around on the servers playing a singleplayer game and acting like everyone else are just NPCs.

I think it's clear you understand my dilemma here. I'm a big fan of second chances, but I tend not to gamble on them.

Coming back from perma isn't a fresh line drawn under your previous note history. You're under even more scrutiny and are far more at risk of being re-banned than the average player.

If you can't stay out of trouble the penny will drop faster than you'd like it to.

Can you control yourself enough to positively contribute to our shifts and community in good faith? Can you genuinely survive without getting another perma in a month or two?
TheGayRhinoceros

Post by TheGayRhinoceros » #628340

Well I'd like to think that I could do it. I have come back from a perma before so I do understand the pressure and the ramifications of it although, If you were to unban me it would definitely be a bigger weight than before. As this seems like you sticking your neck out, failing to stay out of trouble would definitely reflect poorly for me but also you.
As to weather I will behave. IC I don't like to start trouble. On Fulp I made a commitment to specifically not round removing people but, also to just not being a dick. I would like to uphold that commitment. I think xenobiology as a job helps keep out of trouble as staying in the lab for half the round helps insulates from situations where I could get in trouble.
To answer the question I believe that I can do it. I know people on the server and I would hate to let them down.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #628349

It will take more than good manners and a positive attitude to placate some of the career cynics on our team.

Ordinarily I'd ask for a vouch. But I feel like there's no fuckin' way Fulp are gonna say anything positive for you...

However, you history is not TERRIBLE on our servers. It's shitty, but I've seen players with far worse note-to-playtime ratios (minus the evasion and lying in ahelps) not perma'd yet. And ultimately you WERE banned for the evading rather than for anything else.

I'll grant this appeal as-is. Probation is pointless, if another admin wants you gone there's plenty of room for them to justify it without a probation note. And half the team just ignore those notes anyway.

I'm gonna log on Sybil to unban you within the next 5-10 minutes.

Don't waste this chance. Don't cause trouble. Don't make me regret this.

A third chance will likely **require** a vouch. And seeing as how tg is about the last bastion of genuine LRP shittery left these days plus your struggles on Fulp, I do not rate your chances highly of coming back again. Keep that in your mind the next time you decide to get creative with the truth and creative with following our rules.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #628351

Account Standing: Not banned

You should be able to connect to Sybil immediately. The other servers may require their shifts to end and rounds to restart before you can connect to them, as we may cache the ban database locally.
TheGayRhinoceros

Post by TheGayRhinoceros » #628353

Thank you so much! I promise not to disappoint.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #628354

Side note: We have overhauled escalation policy since you were last playing on our servers.

https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules#Escalation

Note that the rules page is currently slighly misleading. The admin team is enforcing the ruling as if references to "killed" were replaced with "incapacitated" and references to "revived" replaced with "treated".