Wolpertinger
Byond Username: Wolpertinger

[Cheshify] Wolpertinger - Shuttle lynching

Post by Wolpertinger » #642296

BYOND account: Wolpertinger
Character name: Kicks-TheBucket
Ban type: Server
Ban length: 1 day
Ban reason: "As a non-antagonist, joined in a lethal lynching of the quartermaster with very little reasoning to do so."
Time ban was placed: 2022-05-26 23:41:56
Server you were playing on when banned:Manuel
Round ID in which ban was placed: 183832
Your side of the story: This is more of a note appeal than anything, but I was incredibly confused by this ban, since it seemed like it came out of nowhere. After a round just sitting in botany experimenting with plants, I headed to the shuttle - someone had set up a bar, and someone, who I think was the QM, was running in circles, repeatedly drinking something and vomiting on the floor, over and over and over, covering the whole shuttle in vomit - one or two people were chasing them, and someone else piped up that they were a 'bad person' - and several people were chasing them around - After briefly stopping at the bar and drinking, I turned on combat mode to try and block movement, and tried to help corner them - not attacking them at all, just pushing them with my character, because they were vomiting all over, running in circles, and people were saying they were a 'bad guy'.

Shortly after this, they threw a glass of alcohol at me, breaking it on me, and then shoved me over a little later. at around the same time, someone screamed OH MY GOD THEY'VE GOT A SYNDICATE BOMB, STOP THEM, and people started pointing at the qm. After getting up, i tried to disarm/shove them, and, not used to the new (for me) combat system, in a giant messy clusterfuck with like 5-6 people scrambling over each other, left clicked them once, punching them one time, before right clicking to shove. They got up, shoved me down again, ran around a little more, and someone else knocked them over again, and then started murdering them - i had still only thrown a single punch the entire time, and didn't participate in this at all - i grabbed their satchel off the body to see if they even had a bomb in the first place, and looked inside and there was nothing there. Almost immediately afterward, a syndicate bomb exploded in the neighboring room, killing me. (which seemed like some spectacularly funny irony at the time).

I got bwoinked afterwards, and was confused, as I hadn't really *done* much other than shove - it was so chaotic that i had to dig through the logs just to make sure i hadn't accidentally hit them with something or done something that might have been considered lethal - especially considering i had a botanist hatchet in my backpack that i specifically chose to *not* use, or even pick up, but i couldn't find any of that.

The admin in question said that I threw the glass at the QM, which showed lethal intent, but I think they were confused - I didn't recall doing so, and when I looked up my own log to make sure i didn't do it on accident, it instead showed them throwing the glass at me. - up until that point, all I had done was just have combat mode and push her away when she was running in circles vomiting, and briefly take a drink from the bar before that.

These are the relevant logs I could find when filtering by my name in the attack logs and looking at the chat logs at the same moments.

11:16:40 ATTACK Wolpertinger/(Kicks-The-Bucket) has transferred reagents (/datum/reagent/consumable/ethanol/mojito (5u, 1 purity)) from Mojito to [stomach] (212, 137, 4) Emergency Shuttle
11:17:33 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) has threw and hit Wolpertinger/(Kicks-The-Bucket) with Classic Martini (NEWHP: 85.1) (213, 131, 4) Emergency Shuttle
11:17:33 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) has splashed Wolpertinger/(Kicks-The-Bucket) with /datum/reagent/consumable/ethanol/martini (45), (NEWHP: 85.1) (213, 131, 4) Emergency Shuttle
11:17:59 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) has shoved Wolpertinger/(Kicks-The-Bucket) with knocking them down (NEWHP: 85.1) (212, 137, 4) Emergency Shuttle
11:17:59 ATTACK Wolpertinger/(Kicks-The-Bucket) has punched EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) (NEWHP: 68.4) (213, 137, 4) Emergency Shuttle
11:17:59 ATTACK Wolpertinger/(Kicks-The-Bucket) has got a stun punch with their previous punch EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) (NEWHP: 68.4)
11:18:08 ATTACK Wolpertinger/(Kicks-The-Bucket) has shoved EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) (NEWHP: 60.2) (207, 136, 4) Emergency Shuttle
11:18:09 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) has shoved Wolpertinger/(Kicks-The-Bucket) (NEWHP: 85.1) (207, 135, 4) Emergency Shuttle
11:18:10 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) has shoved Wolpertinger/(Kicks-The-Bucket) (NEWHP: 85.1) (208, 137, 4) Emergency Shuttle
11:18:10 SAY Bingus13/(Jeremy) "HE HAS SYNDIE BOMB" (206, 137, 4) Emergency Shuttle
11:18:13 SAY Bingus13/(Jeremy) "GET HIM"
11:18:21 SAY EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) "FUCK OFF"
11:18:22 EMOTE Huesudo1645/(Cobalt-Thorium-G) points at Maia Roentgen
11:18:48 EMOTE EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) seizes up and falls limp, her eyes dead and lifeless... (69, 104, 6) Emergency Shuttle
11:19:09 ATTACK Wolpertinger/(Kicks-The-Bucket) is stripping *no key*/(Maia Roentgen) of the satchel (68, 104, 6) Emergency Shuttle
11:19:13 ATTACK Wolpertinger/(Kicks-The-Bucket) has stripped *no key*/(Maia Roentgen) of the satchel (68, 104, 6) Emergency Shuttle
11:19:27 ATTACK Neutrino431/(Petteri Kesseli) has primed a syndicate bomb at Emergency Shuttle (65,111,6) for detonation (Payload: bomb payload).
11:20:41 ATTACK Wolpertinger/(Kicks-The-Bucket) has died (BRUTE: 172.3, BURN: 60.4, TOX: 0, OXY: 0, CLONE: 0)

Why you think you should be unbanned: I was attempting to essentially non-violently as possible corner someone who was acting erratic/insane on a shuttle, while several people were accusing them of being bad or traitorous - possibly in jest? I have no way of knowing. Some random idiot decided to just murder them on the spot. It seemed like reasonable, sane ic behavior to me to body block the person running away that was acting insane, and shove back after being shoved AND had a glass broken over my head by a drunk idiot in the middle of revolution/traitor panic

References of good conduct: Legit the first time i've ever been banned from ss13 despite playing on and off occasionally for a decade - i can count on single digits even the number of times i've been bwoinked on *any* server.
I know it's kind of stupid to appeal this when the ban is so short but it just seemed totally unjust to get even in trouble over this, yet alone banned.
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Re: [Cheshify] Wolpertinger - Shuttle lynching

Post by Cheshify » #642308

A few things to note before I continue with my ruling:
Firstly, I want to apologize for my own error. You did not initiate the confrontation with Maia, I had misread the logs, and I appreciate that you've found that discrepancy for me. However, I do believe that this clears this situation up far better. The note and ban reason is "As a non-antagonist, joined in a lethal lynching of the quartermaster with very little reasoning to do so." I will admit that "someone throwing a glass at you and then shoving you" is a decent reason to re-escalate in turn.

The reason the note and ban was put into place is because as a non-antagonist, you should not be ganging up on people who were not initially escalating with you. The call of "Syndie Bomb" was never proven, and only ever shouted out once by someone who had seen the drink (syndicate bomb) thrown and shatter. However, as a player you are working with incomplete information, and I understand this.

Given the information provided to me, I do think the ban can be lifted, as you obviously understand the situation. You were a part of the event that lead to the murder of the quartermaster by shoving them and allowing the bartender to beat them to death, but you were not directly responsible for killing them. Your role in the situation was much smaller than I initially realized, and I will be removing the note as well.

Thank you for appealing!
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta