Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

[RaveRadbury] Timonk - Worst pun timing

Post by Timonk » #661098

BYOND account: Timonk
Ban type: Soft Forum Ban
Ban length: Permanent?
Ban reason:
RaveRadbury wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:42 am The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=83&p=660948#p660948 .

You know better than to stir drama like this.

This warning, in combination with previous warnings and your general posting quality across the forum has resulted in a soft forum ban.
Your side of the story: you see, i looked at this thread and i saw sticky saying that he debated pedophilia out of someone. i assumed it was about Bea Socks at the time (i honestly had no idea about the Typhnox drama). i proceeded to scroll down and read some random shit about lolicon. then it hit me. i should make a lolicon pun in the style of "[Thing] more like [Pun]"! This is what i came up with:
Timonk wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:40 pm Lolicon more like lolicops this guy likes kids
"not so bad", i thought. Send. i proceeded to forget all about it and get banned 2 days later
apparently this was enough to cause Typhnox to go into hyper defense mode as he thought he was meant, which caused all hell to break loose. i still to this day have no idea what was written.

I apologize to Typhnox, who clearly was affected by this. the accusation was aimed at no one. i just wanted to make a tiny little shitpost in the players club to get my participation medal.

Why you think you should be unbanned: unlike what was stated in the ban reason, ive collected about 1 board warning per year (2 in 2022 and 2020), which is not that bad considering the amounts of posts ive made. also i had no intention to stir any drama as i wasnt even thinking about the correct drama while dropping my post in the thread.

Anything else we should know: if anything, banning 4 (or more?) people for this (me, toemas, mice world and Typhnox) elevated this drama out of that one discussion that wasnt even 1 page long (i believe) into a potential peanut thread and long discussions about the lolicon shit, which elevates the drama factor from F tier to legendary jannie cleaning (ultra based) Peanut thread (4 pages long) and at least 2 ban appeals, which is obviously out of scale for such a tiny discussion.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: [RaveRadbury] Timonk - Worst pun timing

Post by RaveRadbury » #661267

You shouted "pedo" in a crowded peanut thread when we've had ongoing issues and bans over people pointing that finger casually. I can't tell if it's worse or equal to harassing someone specifically with it. Either way, it's a distinct final straw in a long history of you engaging the community for your own enjoyment at the expense of others.

I have support from the headmins on this ban, it will not be overturned this term. If you'd like to take the opportunity in this appeal to have a frank discussion of how you got here and ideas on how to have a better appeal next time I'd be happy to talk to you about it. I will still take this opportunity to highlight examples that have been factored in to why this ban will remain, and it will be up to the next headmins to decide whether or not to unban you.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #661293

Sure why not spill all the board warnings (and other factors) if you want i give you permission

Keep in mind that by denying this and typhnox's ban the drama pits shall open again 1 or maybe even 2 times in the future. This has caused way more drama than what the original thread has ever done.
Last edited by Timonk on Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #661294

With dates too please.

Also i would like to note that the soft forum ban does not only exclude you from the player zone but confines you to FNR
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #661862

2019:
- 2 forum warnings for peanut posting in ban appeals
- 1 forum ban for "random necros"

2020:
- 1 forum warning for peanut posting in ban appeals
- 1 forum ban for "necroposting"

2021:
- There was also that time that Wubli asked you to stop shitposting and being meanspirited in the art thread

2022:
- 1 warning and subsequent ban from the host for "taunting MSO to ban them" (that was the one where you thought it would be funny to post "igger" in a ouija-style thread)
- forum ban for "History of peanut necroposting, bumped MSO and Karps feedback threads with non-feedback posts"

That's 4 forum bans, not counting your FNR post-approval ban.

You've also got a history on the discord before the bot tracked that stuff

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=23479
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24272
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26506
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26910 (this one isn't discord related, but is related to you making bad jokes and trying to backpedal out of them)

Your other appeals on this forum don't look great, either, but I didn't think they were relevant to the issue at hand.

and from when the bot did track stuff

Warnings for The Eekexexecycle#4262
1 point warning 730508307445317733 issued by aaronthesocks#1075 for asked not to start petty arguments for the sake of arguing
1 point warning 968883207334400030 issued by RaveRadbury#0188 for Cringe bad-faith trans bait posting, asked to stop, refused.

If you take a look at your ban appeals you'll see a history of you saying "Oh yeah it was just a joke I wasn't thinking when I posted." You've been using that excuse for three years now, you've promised to stop making bad jokes, or to think before you post, but you just don't learn, man.

People with fewer forum warnings than you have been banned permanently. People who have been on the forum longer than you have fewer warnings. You have the 3rd highest warnings (8, bans also count as warnings) out of anybody on the forums.

You seem to enjoy making things unfun for other people. It's been a clear through-line.

If you want to use the forums to post opinions about coding stuff and anime please appeal in the next term and treat the ban appeal seriously.

If you just want to screw around on the forums making everything worse, don't bother, we're better off without your contributions.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #661899

Just replying so this doesn't get locked yet
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #661908

Yeah, I'll make sure this stays open so you have a chance to respond.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #662077

before i want to type out my reply i just want to say that i've been trying to reform as a human being and forum poster since about 2021 (although before that i knew i was in the wrong in these cases, i just thought of it as a part of me). a big part of that was cultivating my internal word and action filter (as robotic as that may sound, it is true, i sometimes have to make a consious effort to not post something and write it off as a stupid idea or ingame reconsidering my actions), finding major success ingame in 2022 by keeping my note history a clean slate in spite of my note history before that. but as a particularly flawed human i sometimes fail to see the error of my ways, resulting in being unintentionally mean to art of your character (here) and that may be why you think that
RaveRadbury wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:21 pmYou seem to enjoy making things unfun for other people. It's been a clear through-line.
i would never intentionally hurt other people with words and get enjoyment out of it. i get that sometimes my jokes arent funny or my posts are bad but if i really try to look out for my fellow spessmen dont get hurt in the process.

now lets adress the rest of the post
RaveRadbury wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:21 pm 2019:
- 2 forum warnings for peanut posting in ban appeals
- 1 forum ban for "random necros"

2020:
- 1 forum ban for "necroposting"

2021:
- There was also that time that Wubli asked you to stop shitposting and being meanspirited in the art thread

2022:
- 1 warning and subsequent ban from the host for "taunting MSO to ban them" (that was the one where you thought it would be funny to post "igger" in a ouija-style thread)
- forum ban for "History of peanut necroposting, bumped MSO and Karps feedback threads with non-feedback posts"

That's 4 forum bans, not counting your FNR post-approval ban.
[...]
People with fewer forum warnings than you have been banned permanently. People who have been on the forum longer than you have fewer warnings. You have the 3rd highest warnings (8, bans also count as warnings) out of anybody on the forums.

very fair point. but is it really my fault that i had to collect so many to make it forum (soft!) ban worthy?

RaveRadbury wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:21 pmYou've also got a history on the discord before the bot tracked that stuff

i dont remember, you dont remember, does it really matter if its not worth noting or remembering? (and its from 3+ years ago!)
these are 2 years old at this point and ive since not done anything ban worthy on discord.

RaveRadbury wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:21 pm Warnings for The Eekexexecycle#4262
1 point warning 730508307445317733 issued by aaronthesocks#1075 for asked not to start petty arguments for the sake of arguing
1 point warning 968883207334400030 issued by RaveRadbury#0188 for Cringe bad-faith trans bait posting, asked to stop, refused.
these are 2 years apart.

RaveRadbury wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:21 pm If you just want to screw around on the forums making everything worse, don't bother, we're better off without your contributions.
this was never my goal. as i stated before, i try to keep my posts on topic and appropriate and by no means seek to make "everything" worse.

i by no means intend on invalidating most of these points, but anything past the mention of my forum bans was slightly or less slightly lacking. i see no sense in bringing up things that wouldnt even appear in my note history on the actual server. i hope you reconsider your position (that i am an asshole perhaps?) as you are the only one besides MSO who can overturn this in your term.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #662102

Thanks for taking the time to make this response, Timonk. I am interested in discussing a reduction of your ban with you. I would like to hear what you think would be a fair reduction (type and/or length) and I'd appreciate it if you would take the offer seriously. Specifically consider the problems that arise in internet communities when people start accusing each other of being pedophiles and how you did that for the sake of a joke.
Timonk wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:22 pm before i want to type out my reply i just want to say that i've been trying to reform as a human being and forum poster since about 2021 (although before that i knew i was in the wrong in these cases, i just thought of it as a part of me). a big part of that was cultivating my internal word and action filter (as robotic as that may sound, it is true, i sometimes have to make a consious effort to not post something and write it off as a stupid idea or ingame reconsidering my actions), finding major success ingame in 2022 by keeping my note history a clean slate in spite of my note history before that. but as a particularly flawed human i sometimes fail to see the error of my ways...
This is really compelling, and I am willing to believe that you have been trying to work on yourself. Your ban from MSO was in 2022 so that does raise an eyebrow in regards to your impulse control and choices, but seeing that you're owning your history we can take that in stride. There's also the inciting post that pushed your history over the line.

"Lolicon more like lolicops" isn't anything to really take issue over, but "This guy likes kids" is pretty bad. You said that you thought they were talking about Mice World, does this mean you directed it at them? I fail to see how that was a part of your pun or your joke, it really looks like a jeer that could spark yet another witch hunt in the community. Even with the soft forum ban reduced/lifted, this is something that needs to be addressed.

Keep in mind that bans like these are in regards to your history in the community over time, just like how we grey out bans over 6 months but will bring them up if the behavior is consistent and continues to happen. It really looks like that's the case. Even in your discord appeal with Arm he straight up says "You have a reputation for being a dick." This is something that's known in the community.
Timonk wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:22 pm i would never intentionally hurt other people with words and get enjoyment out of it. i get that sometimes my jokes arent funny or my posts are bad but if i really try to look out for my fellow spessmen dont get hurt in the process.
The warning I gave you on the discord was for spamming that Lil Nas X pregnancy react gif and when people repeatedly asked you to stop you tried to claim that he was trans and baited people by asking them if they had problems with trans people. This encapsulates what I mean when I say that you seem to enjoy making things unfun for people. I'm not saying that you're tracking people down and being vicious, I'm saying that you like to be annoying on purpose and it degrades the vibe of the community.
Off Topic
Quick note about the art thread thing, I really don't care that you had an opinion about mime masks. The empty quote of the Wubli art for legoscape with you saying "huh" is the problem. Off-topic posting in the art thread is the problem. I think that getting artists on the forums and keeping them around is important, and if that involves an amount of being nice and keeping the discussion pleasant, so be it.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #662203

RaveRadbury wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:33 pm Thanks for taking the time to make this response, Timonk. I am interested in discussing a reduction of your ban with you. I would like to hear what you think would be a fair reduction (type and/or length) and I'd appreciate it if you would take the offer seriously. Specifically consider the problems that arise in internet communities when people start accusing each other of being pedophiles and how you did that for the sake of a joke.
unless you really want to keep me banned until the end of your current term, i would suggest 1 month minus the time served, since i apologized to typhnox and he accepted my apology.

RaveRadbury wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:33 pm
"Lolicon more like lolicops" isn't anything to really take issue over, but "This guy likes kids" is pretty bad. You said that you thought they were talking about Mice World, does this mean you directed it at them? I fail to see how that was a part of your pun or your joke, it really looks like a jeer that could spark yet another witch hunt in the community. Even with the soft forum ban reduced/lifted, this is something that needs to be addressed.
the joke was quite literally the pun, it was aimed at nobody. i kept the mice world drama in mind so i dont say anything insensible and lolicon doesnt really have anything to do with lolicon stuff
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #662285

Before I lift this ban I need to make sure that you definitely understand why the final straw for all of this was a problem.

When you say this guy, you are specifically referring to someone in the conversation or the subject of the conversation. You are not referring to a theoretical third person. I don't know if something is being lost in translation here, but if you have plans to get along better with people around here you should know this.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #662312

RaveRadbury wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:43 am Before I lift this ban I need to make sure that you definitely understand why the final straw for all of this was a problem.

When you say this guy, you are specifically referring to someone in the conversation or the subject of the conversation. You are not referring to a theoretical third person.
i was technically referring to the mythical third person (a person just for the joke that doesnt exist) but i do understand why typhnox thought he was meant since i didnt say who was meant and he was the only guy who could be meant with lolicon
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #663021

It still seems to me like you're missing how your joke format strongly implies a target. I hope you don't run into trouble over something like this again.

I'm alright with lowering this to a month ban. If the ban is still up when it's expired send a me a PM on the forums, I have to remove it manually.