DevinXoptoh
Byond Username: DevinXoptoh

[Pumpkin0] DevinXoptoh, Ban appeal

Post by DevinXoptoh » #674071

BYOND account: DevinXoptoh
Character name: Chip Shafer
Ban type: =Server
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: As a non antag chief engineer, took an emag from brig and emagged a meteor shield satelite on round 202580, when confronted about this, claimed it was out of curiosity and they did not know it would increase the chance of meteors.
Time ban was placed: 1:56am
Server you were playing on when banned: Server name, eg, Bagil/Sybil/Terry/Event Hall
Round ID in which ban was placed: 202584
Why you think you should be unbanned: Reasons why I think I should be unbanned:
Well, firstly id like to apologise if I ended the round shorter than expected with my actions, it was not my intentions.
I would like to present some logs that may prove that what I did, wasn't as bad as it actually seems. I can not access the event logs, so I am unsure if what the logs I have do much.
I would like to start with the fact that Maia, an atmos tech working under me, was a traitor who helped setup the shield sats in the shift, However I was not aware that they were emagging them during this.
In total, they emagged fourteen shield sats, which were located around the entire station, I emagged a total of two
12:08:33 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) attempted to emag [�Meteor Shield Satellite] (170, 200, 2) Space
12:08:59 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) attempted to emag [�Meteor Shield Satellite] (150, 187, 2) Space
12:09:10 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) attempted to emag [�Meteor Shield Satellite] (128, 188, 2) Space
12:09:21 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) attempted to emag [�Meteor Shield Satellite] (111, 186, 2) Space
12:14:23 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) attempted to emag [�Meteor Shield Satellite] (202, 162, 2) Space
12:14:30 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) attempted to emag [�Meteor Shield Satellite] (236, 159, 2) Space
12:14:34 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) attempted to emag [�space] (236, 132, 2) Space
12:14:34 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) attempted to emag [�Meteor Shield Satellite] (236, 132, 2) Space
12:14:44 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) attempted to emag [�Meteor Shield Satellite] (238, 112, 2) Space
12:14:50 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) attempted to emag [�Meteor Shield Satellite] (205, 103, 2) Space
12:14:58 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) attempted to emag [�Meteor Shield Satellite] (202, 85, 2) Space
12:15:03 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) attempted to emag [�Meteor Shield Satellite] (180, 68, 2) Space
12:17:38 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) attempted to emag [�Meteor Shield Satellite] (113, 47, 2) Space
12:17:49 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) attempted to emag [�Meteor Shield Satellite] (93, 42, 2) Space
12:18:03 ATTACK EmpressMaia/(Maia Roentgen) attempted to emag [�Meteor Shield Satellite] (73, 45, 2) Space
12:46:12 ATTACK DevinXoptoh/(Chip Shafer) attempted to emag [�Meteor Shield Satellite] (203, 105, 2) Space
12:46:15 ATTACK DevinXoptoh/(Chip Shafer) attempted to emag [�Meteor Shield Satellite] (203, 104, 2) Space
After I emagged the sats, I do not recall if another meteor storm hit, however, it was not to my knowledge that emagging the shield sats actually still caused meteors to have a higher chance of happening, I thought it was old code due to the outdated wiki. Evidence of such can be found in random spots on the wiki, such as the cult guide to use a "construction necklace"
I would also like to add that during the meteor waves, the admins were playing music to fit the "the stations fucked" atmosphere, I thought admins were summoning the meteors in general as it was quite constant throughout the shift that meteors were hitting us, which I had never seen before, due to, never seeing an emagged shield sat in use.

I would like to add that I honestly think that me emagging 2 sats rather than maias 14, wouldnt do much, I've had a look at the code, and I might be bad at maths, but out of the total shield sats that we had, 14 is more significant, yes I raised the number slightly, but it should not of impacted it as much as it comes across.@
After doing this, the HOS and myself had a decentish interaction, it wasnt murderbone, it wasnt "fuck you" "no! fuck you!" it was a chase that ended in me dying to the hijacking traitors, not a meteor.
As far as I am aware, two large meteor storms had already hit the station, hence the call for an evac, which had singificantly damaged arrivals and perma, however, the large volume of shield sats, actually stopped alot of them.

EDIT: Just to add onto this, there was a total of 10 shield sat crates ordered, each containing 3, meaning there was 30 shields deployed around the station, which effectively stopped everything bar the occasional few

References of good conduct: I have played a round of TGMC and 20ish minutes on goonstation
Anything else we should know: I have had a few people asking me if I will be returning due to them enjoying my character and that if I do not, that they will miss my character and myself
Last edited by DevinXoptoh on Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DevinXoptoh

Re: [Pumpkin0] DevinXoptoh, Ban appeal

Post by DevinXoptoh » #674073

Just to add onto this,
I managed to find the random event logs for triggered meteors.
The two shield sats that I emagged, only triggered one catastrophic wave.
12:42:32 GAME Random Event triggering: Meteor Wave: Catastrophic (/datum/round_event/meteor_wave/catastrophic).
12:49:47 GAME Random Event triggering: Meteor Wave: Catastrophic (/datum/round_event/meteor_wave/catastrophic).
the 12:49 one.
The 12:42 one was four minutes BEFORE I emagged a shield sat for the first time.

Before this there had been three waves of meteors and the catastrophic
12:16:07 GAME Random Event triggering: Stray Meteor (/datum/round_event/stray_meteor).
12:20:56 GAME Random Event triggering: Stray Meteor (/datum/round_event/stray_meteor).
12:30:28 GAME Random Event triggering: Meteor Wave: Normal (/datum/round_event/meteor_wave).
12:42:32 GAME Random Event triggering: Meteor Wave: Catastrophic (/datum/round_event/meteor_wave/catastrophic).
Pumpkin0
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Pumpkin0

Post by Pumpkin0 » #674405

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to make this appeal. Unfortunately, after a time of deliberation and consideration, this appeal is denied.

My main concern here is not the actual destruction you may or may not have caused, but the fact that you went out of your way to secure an emag from the brig as a non-antagonist and emag the shield satellites. Despite this, I want to bring you the perspective as well that any shield satellites that are emagged no longer function: They stop shooting down meteors entirely. Even if you had not known that the shield sats could be emagged, or what they would do when emagged, there is no reason you should have pursued doing so as a non-antagonist. There are very, very little things that the emag does that are a net positive to the station - most, if anything, cause very bad things to happen when they're sabotaged. If you were curious about the function of the shield satellites, you should have taken other courses of actions to verify what they do: Checking the code, asking admins, asking other players. You had been told by other members of the command team that emagging them summons more meteors, both before and after you attempted to emag the shield satellite.

EmpressMaia emagging the shield satellites may have caused more damage to the station. However, that does not mean that the issue here is solved: You should not have been, as a non-antagonist, actively seeking out an emag in order to emag important protective parts of the station like this that had a high chance of causing more station sabotage. You said in the peanut that you thought it was the gravity generator that attracted meteors.
You also happened to try and emag the gravity generator to do this during the round, directly after you tried to emag the satellites. Even in this appeal I don't think you've given me a very good reason as to why you should have been unbanned or why you even emagged them in the first place - since curiosity does not mean you should have gone through with it at all. Some of the logs from you show that you thought they would gain lasers and be 'boosted' if you emagged them, which comes into conflict with you saying that you thought the gravity generator would increase the odds of meteors, but also try to do that directly after emagging the shield sats and getting nothing.

On a base level, I don't think you've improved from the bans you've been given in the past relating to randomly bombing parts of the station 'because you were bored' and I haven't gotten much of an impression from this appeal that you will appeal from here on out. Your story feels weirdly inconsistent, there are points where you say you knew about it from the wiki and others from ingame or in the peanut where you say that you had no such inclination on what it did at all.

You can ask for a headmin review on this. If you want further discussion on this, I am definitely open to that and have no problem with talking further about your ban, especially if you can give me any reason as to why I should believe you'll improve and not do something in the future like this.
the w
DevinXoptoh

Post by DevinXoptoh » #674407

Hi pumpkin,

thanks for replying,

A few notes regarding this appeal to mention already that were bought up in a quite, shadily named peanut thread about myself:

-While I have played this game for a long time, I have never actually seen the shield sats get emagged and was completely unaware that it actually, did anything.
-I was always under the belief that emagging the gravity generator did summon a catastrophic wave, the reason I left it out of this appeal was due to it actually being a full on mistake on my end, I was checking to see if the gravity gen was charged or not after it had been hit by a meteor directly, the wires were damaged, I clicked it not realising the emag was in hand.
-The "IT BOOSTS THEM" Was simply a joke, an idiotic one at that.
-I won't be asking for a headmin review as I believe that this can be resolved between ourselves without having to get anymore people involved.
-Yes, asking admins/players is an option, but as you can see from the peanut thread, a few players and admins wern't even aware that it was a thing, myself included. I have over 1k hours in engineering since I started playing this game and I only learnt it the other day.
-I understand taking an emag from under securities nose as a none antag is bad, there was no ill intentions there, I simply wanted to add to the round in some context as it was already, quite scuffed due to a compotent atmos tech being an antag (they wouldnt repair) and a catastrophic wave already hitting the station, evac was already pretty much planned at that point.
-The interaction I had with security was, interesting to say the least, it wasn't a negative interaction in the slightest and was, quite funny.

Yes I am pleading the idiot case alot, but I genuinely do not get some of the mechanics in this game still. The whole emagging a station goal to do something is just, very random considering the following:
-The BSA does nothing if emagged.
-The DNA vault does nothing if emagged
-Traitors don't rush sats with emags to cause meteors every time they roll and are actually deployed.

I would also like to add that there was 30 total sats around the station, 16 total got emagged, One emagged was deactived and reactivated, which I am unsure if it fixes it or not, leaving a total of 14/15 total sats active still shooting down meteors which SHOULD be enough to cover the areas they were set at.

I would like to also formally apologise if I ruined anyones round or caused them any issues ICly or OOCly. My actions were stupid and I have suffered from the consequences
Pumpkin0
In-Game Admin

Post by Pumpkin0 » #674411

I'm sorry, but this still doesn't do it for me.

Among other things, even if emagging the satellite was confirmed to not have done much, that doesn't change the fact that you went out of your way to do it. That is the main problem here: Not the result, but the way you're playing and how I can't see how it would be good faith. I feel like, at this point, the possibility that you emagged the sats then went to go check on the gravity generator and just happened to forget that you were holding an emag after trying to emag the meteor-related sats is very low.

I'm going to be keeping this ban in place. The gravity generator being a mistake just doesn't sit well with me as a concept with all the other things you've said about 'not knowing what the sats do'. I'm happy, in some time, for you to re-do this appeal with a reference of good conduct or improvement in how you play. You are absolutely free to ask for headmins, as always, and if you want their opinion over mine I'm happy for you to do that - I just can't convince myself that all of these things compounded are you playing in good faith, I'm really sorry.
the w
DevinXoptoh

Post by DevinXoptoh » #674469

Pumpkin0 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:17 am I'm sorry, but this still doesn't do it for me.

Among other things, even if emagging the satellite was confirmed to not have done much, that doesn't change the fact that you went out of your way to do it. That is the main problem here: Not the result, but the way you're playing and how I can't see how it would be good faith. I feel like, at this point, the possibility that you emagged the sats then went to go check on the gravity generator and just happened to forget that you were holding an emag after trying to emag the meteor-related sats is very low.

I'm going to be keeping this ban in place. The gravity generator being a mistake just doesn't sit well with me as a concept with all the other things you've said about 'not knowing what the sats do'. I'm happy, in some time, for you to re-do this appeal with a reference of good conduct or improvement in how you play. You are absolutely free to ask for headmins, as always, and if you want their opinion over mine I'm happy for you to do that - I just can't convince myself that all of these things compounded are you playing in good faith, I'm really sorry.
No need to apologize you are simply doing your job and what you believe is best for the community.
Honestly I am seeing it as a blessing in disguise for my mental health because quite frankly, this game has a VERY toxic part to its community and the OOC comments made towards myself as of late prove this greatly
DevinXoptoh

Post by DevinXoptoh » #677019

I know its been like, what, over a week?
but Ill take a headadmin review on this just to see where I actually stand, I would like to come back when id like to rather than having to wait however long it is for a perma ban to be appealable
Pumpkin0
In-Game Admin

Post by Pumpkin0 » #677277

I'd be happy to let you back after like a few months or so with a reference of good conduct from another server, or a vouch or something. Headmins are free to review either way and decide against what I've said if they deem it necessary. Best of luck to you in either endeavour!
the w
DevinXoptoh

Post by DevinXoptoh » #677434

The issue is that I am taking a break from SS13 as a whole, apart from TGMC which is a completely different environment to Manuel for example.
There is no servers that... exist quite frankly for me to get a vouch off
Pumpkin0
In-Game Admin

Post by Pumpkin0 » #677438

Well, if you're taking a break and going to come back in a month or so with a new approach to ss13, I'd be happy to reconsider your appeal in that time. You have shown here that you're okay with taking a break from ss13 and that you do want to improve, so I'm sure it doesn't have to be a whole year or something.
the w
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #679639

We're not really interested in reviewing this in any depth.

Kieth asked me if I was happy resolving this appeal as-is and I am.

Pumpkin has asked you to come back in "a few months or so" with some reference of good conduct from another server, so my suggestion is find somewhere cool, play there, break no rules, come back in a few months and see where it takes you.

Your note history has too many entries in too short of a time period (basically you shit the bed repeatedly throughout March) and Pumpkin's suggestion is both reasonable and proportionate.

Kieth4: Asked if this could be locked and move to resolved
Timberpoes: Reviewed the appeal following kieth4's question, comments as above
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin