BOBAMA
Byond Username: BOBAMA

[BAN] [Eskjjlj] bobama

Post by BOBAMA » #581740

BYOND account: bobama
Character name: Emmanuel Goldstein
Ban type: role
Ban length: 7 days
Ban reason: Banned from Roles: Corporate Liaison for 7 days - As CL was running around trying to inject marines with his special implanter. Was warned in character that it would cause instant death but ignored it which caused the death of a medic. Claims ignorance but if you don't know what something does you should err on the side of caution.
Time ban was placed:2020-11-17 18:44:18
Round ID in which ban was placed: 6003
Your side of the story: I discovered while reading through the change log that the CL now has this new, shiny briefcase in his office that can be used to vend equipment and wanted to try it out. I see that it has an injector which is described in game as:
Implant which regulates nociception and sensory function. Benefits include pain reduction, improved balance, and improved resistance to overstimulation and disoritentation. To encourage compliance, negative stimulus is applied if the implant hears a (non-radio) spoken codephrase. Implant will be degraded by the body's immune system over time, and thus malfunction with gradually increasing frequency. Personal use not recommended.

a pill bottle described as:
Highly-addictive stimulant. Enhances short-term physical performance, particularly running speed. Effects last approximately 10 minutes per pill. More than two pills at a time will result in overdose. Withdrawal causes extreme discomfort and hallucinations. Long-term use results in halluciations and organ failure. Conditional distribution secures subject compliance. Not for personal use.

and other fluff items like cash and cigars. I started off by giving a few pills to people while describing them as I understood them to function at the time from what I read on the briefcase screen. Then I offered an injector to a marine called Charlotte Melinda, who refused and said something along the lines of how it would kill them. Now, from reading the description of the injector, I thought that Charlotte either didn't actually know what it was or was exaggerating. I assumed that negative stimulus meant that it would cause stuns or pain or something along those lines. Fast forward a few minutes I offer it to a different marine, a corpsman, and he consents to receiving the implant. I give him the injector and set the code phrase to a word I thought no one would say, planning to never use it myself. I just wanted to give a marine an implant that appeared to be beneficial. The corpsman was dead from the implant within minutes. I never spoke the code phrase and assume that no one else did either. The implant, all by itself, had, apparently, caused 200 toxin damage and killed the marine outright in a matter of minutes.

Why you think you should be unbanned: Apparently, I was somehow supposed to know this was going to happen. The "in character" warning I got was vague and from someone who I assumed was new to the server, given that the person who warned me had also accidentally detonated a frag grenade in the prep room about five minutes before warning me. I cannot understand how I was supposed to know from the in-game description that the implant would kill the marine outright almost instantly. Furthermore, the implant is clearly not functioning as intended, which seems to be a code issue to me. If this IS the intended function, then why even bother with all this code phrase business if the person with the implant is going to be dead soon anyway? Why even add items to the game that are against the rules to use in the first place? As of writing, the implant essentially functions as a lethal injection with extra steps, and given that HvH combat is against the rules in 99 percent of circumstances, the item just seems to be ban bait. Also, while I was writing this appeal, a PR has gone up to remove the implant from the briefcase vendor, because, in its current form, it serves no purpose other than to get unwitting liaisons banned.
Eskjjlj
Byond Username: Eskjjlj

Re: [BAN] [Eskjjlj] bobama

Post by Eskjjlj » #581742

I'm willing to reduce it to 3 days since you seem like you REALLY had no idea and the description could be misleading.

But again if you use random items on other marines you better be sure they don't ruin the round for them.
The description says "Personal use not recommended." which hints at its harmful nature and you had someone warn you ICly so you are not entirely innocent.

You didn't seem like you were genuinely trying to improve the round by giving marines helpful chems but more like you were experimenting with something unknown with unknown consequences. Which is why you injected a random medic who then shortly died.
BOBAMA

Post by BOBAMA » #581743

Eskjjlj wrote:I'm willing to reduce it to 3 days since you seem like you REALLY had no idea and the description could be misleading.

But again if you use random items on other marines you better be sure they don't ruin the round for them.
The description says "Personal use not recommended." which hints at its harmful nature and you had someone warn you ICly so you are not entirely innocent.

You didn't seem like you were genuinely trying to improve the round by giving marines helpful chems but more like you were experimenting with something unknown with unknown consequences. Which is why you injected a random medic who then shortly died.
1. It shouldn't be up for debate whether or not the description is misleading, it most certainly is.

2. these are not 'random' items, they were recently placed intentionally in the office of the job I was playing, and I made the critical error of assuming that I was supposed to give them to people instead of just pretending it wasn't there or risk getting banned.

3. The item and its description, as far as I can tell, remain the same from when TGMC was branched from CM. It injects the same chemical, Nerualine, on both codebases. However, on TGMC, nerualine causes a lot of toxin damage. The result is that this depreciated feature from CM that just got re-added to the game doesn't function as it should. The only way I could have known this beforehand is if I had read exactly how the implant functions by code diving, and then doing the math on how much neuraline gets injected and what effects it would have on a person. This is an unreasonable expectation to have of the average player. It should not be my responsibility to double-check to code of every new feature to make sure it functions as intended.

4. I feel reassured knowing that you are better able to determine exactly what my intent as a player is than I am able to myself.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #581745

The injector description is only misleading insofar that it doesn't outright state it's going to kill the target but it's definitely not misleading about it having some bad drawbacks. Couple that with the warning you got and you at least could've done your due dilligence and ahelped/mhelped to see if what you were told is true. i assume you didn't because you'd rather just give it a try and be able to claim ignorance if it backfired. Plus, the warning you got played out in you attempting to give the injector to the person who accidentally primed the grenade as "thanks" for trying to blow you up. Could've been a joke, could've been an attempt at payback.
on top of that during the ahelp you were avoiding questions and i'm gonna be frank the funny stereotypical jew name doesn't help with the whole benefit of the doubt thing.
it's a now 3 day job ban for a single role that doesn't even really participate in the gameplay loop and that's what it's gonna end up staying.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

BOBAMA

Post by BOBAMA » #581748

I don't think any of you are understanding that the injector killing people is unintentional and its literally getting removed on github right now because it's not supposed to do that
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #581749

I don't think you're understanding that this isn't about the injector but about how the whole thing played out and how you fit into it.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]