[Trevoriousdafox] - Administrator Application

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Admin, Game Server Operators, TGMC Administrator, TGMC Lead

Trevorious
TGMC Administrator

Byond Username: Trevoriousdafox

[Trevoriousdafox] - Administrator Application

Postby Trevorious » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:53 pm #465403

Current ckey and any previous ckeys:
-Trevoriousdafox

Character name(s):
-My main Character is, Ellie 'Coffee' Weaver

Timezone:
-Eastern Standard Time, though I play later usually

Discord tag:
-Don't Shoot#5955

Any previous experience administrating? Where and in what manner:
-Sadly none

How familiar are you with our ruleset:
-I am very familiar with CMs ruleset and yours is fairly similar, yes.

How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general:
-I've been playing SS13 for almost a year now, mostly only on CM but a little on other servers as well.

Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months? If so, what server, and for what reason:
-Yes, Banned |Duration: 180 minutes|Reason: Improper Escalation, shot a marine who FF'd him. Punched him twice, got disarmed back and opened fire with a pistol. | Tue, October 2nd of 2018.

-Banned from Alien - Admitted to running out and dying on purpose as a larva. | Fri, December 14th of 2018,
Banned from Queen - Admitted to running out and dying on purpose as a larva. | Fri, December 14th of 2018

-I can explain both of these in detail if needed.

The larva xeno ban was a bit harsh, I had bursted after my hive died and was one of like three xenos left.
I stayed larva to try and sneak into the FOB and hit a claymore.
I was not trying to throw the match for xenos in any way.
Which is why that rule is usually enforced, but it is what it is.

Have you ever recieved a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason:
-No

Why do you want to become an administrator:
- I really enjoy both CM and TGMC respectively, and saw you said you needed some extra help.
I want to be active in helping in any way I can, if you think I would make a good fit.

Spoiler:
1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.
-I wouldn't get involved unless the player who was shot ahelped.
If they ahelped I'd aheal if needed and check the offending players note history.
If it was a common problem I'd pm them and go from there.

2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.
-I'd PM them if I wasn't busy and try to give them a rundown of the basics.
If I was busy I'd link them to the wiki and try to get a mentor to help them.

3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.
-I'd try to handle it as best I can.
If they refused to work with me I'd try to get a higher up to talk with them.
If no higher staff were around I'd explain so and go from there.

4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.
-I would explain that while it may have been okay on another server it's not here.
I would check their notes and if it was a first time thing I'd just warn them and change it to a name they'd prefer that fits our rules.
If it was not the first time, I'd note it and do the same as before. Unless it was a common problem.

5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
-A IC issue as long as he's not running around shooting up the ship.
I'd keep an eye on him but otherwise wouldn't bother them unless they we're ahelped by other players or went unga on the planet.

6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
-Well this is tough because one side HAS to make a first move to keep the round going.
I'd check both sides to see the situation.
If xenos were all scattered and not trying to rebuild the hive.
I'd PM the CO/XO and make a High Command announcement, to try and encourage marines to redeploy.

7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.
-I'd see if any MPs are on.
If so I'd contact them, if not I'd sleep the offending player.
Then I would PM them and the other and ask what they are doing, after checking notes.
If they had a history of this or similar behavior I'd apply a 3 hour ban, if it was just two pals playing around I wouldn't get involved or would just apply a warning/note for LRP behavior.

8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.
-I'd PM both players and get the full situation, after checking notes.
If it was Role played well and both players were happy with it I'd not get involved.
If the player that was killed was not happy and there was little to no RP involved I'd aheal the dead player and a apply a Improper Escalation ban/note.

9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.
-I'd ask in OOC for the Racist comments to please stop.
If they continued, I'd PM the players who started it/are making the comments and request they stop.
I'd note them for the behavior if it was too toxic or excessive and if they refused to stop I'd apply a 3 hour ban for rule 1.

10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.
I'd perma ban them and add a note, then aheal all players effected.
If they were new, or didn't know better they can appeal and explain their actions on the forums.

11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.
-I'd PM them and ask what happened, if they were one of the last xenos and there was no queen or xenos were seriously out numbered I'd leave the player alone.
If the hive was healthy and the larva ran out to the front I'd see if they were new, and apply a note.
If it was a common problem with the player I'd apply a job ban.

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
-Well the server is pretty laid back on things like this I believe but if it was being ahelped or becoming a problem I'd PM them or make a OOC announcement and ask them to stop.

13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.
-Well as long as they weren't being too Meta with it, like warning marines not to get face hugged ect. I'd leave it alone as IC.

14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.
-Well If role played properly and both players are fine with the outcome I'd not get involved.
If it was ahelped and the player could have taken another pod, I'd apply a note and possibly a ban for rule 1.

15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.
-I'd move them to cryo to open the slot back up.
Then I'd check notes for a history of SSDing as important roles.
If there is a history of it the apply job ban, if not then just add a note.

16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.
-Use admin chat to try and give correct info to the admin.
Then try to give the player the correct info as well if the other staff has not already done so.

17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.
-Gather Screenshots, logs ect.
Inform a higher Staff member, and talk to the staff member about what he's doing..........

18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.
-I would PM/OOC message them and ask that they stop if it became a issue or was ahelped by another player.
If that didn't work or they refused, I'd apply a 3 hour ban and a note for toxic behavior.

Urytion
TGMC Administrator

Byond Username: Urytion

Re: [Trevoriousdafox] - Administrator Application

Postby Urytion » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:41 pm #465860

Ohai Ellie. Your formatting gives me nightmares. Remember to encase spoiler in [].
Spoiler:
Trevorious wrote:1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.
-I wouldn't get involved unless the player who was shot ahelped.
If they ahelped I'd aheal if needed and check the offending players note history.
If it was a common problem I'd pm them and go from there.

Please expand on "go from there". What would your reaction be if the shot killed the player?

Trevorious wrote:
2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.
-I'd PM them if I wasn't busy and try to give them a rundown of the basics.
If I was busy I'd link them to the wiki and try to get a mentor to help them.

Why would you not refer them to a mentor immediately? It's what they're there for.

Trevorious wrote:
3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.
-I'd try to handle it as best I can.
If they refused to work with me I'd try to get a higher up to talk with them.
If no higher staff were around I'd explain so and go from there.

Please expand on "go from there."

Trevorious wrote:
4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.
-I would explain that while it may have been okay on another server it's not here.
I would check their notes and if it was a first time thing I'd just warn them and change it to a name they'd prefer that fits our rules.
If it was not the first time, I'd note it and do the same as before. Unless it was a common problem.

How many occurrences would it take until there were repercussions? Would that change based on the name?

Trevorious wrote:
6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
-Well this is tough because one side HAS to make a first move to keep the round going.
I'd check both sides to see the situation.
If xenos were all scattered and not trying to rebuild the hive.
I'd PM the CO/XO and make a High Command announcement, to try and encourage marines to redeploy.

I'm gonna throw some scenarios at you that I would like you to answer.

Marines are forced to evac from the planet and are clearly losing, but the Aliens elect to wait for all their captured hosts to burst, evolutions, and for all their T1s to reach ancient. What do?

Marines unga dunga hard and fast, and the aliens are now down to a young Queen, a runner, and a drone. They are constantly moving around the map and running from every contact. What do?

The CO orders an early evac because the LZ is getting attacked. About 40 marines evac, and there are about 15 aliens. A fairly even match. But the CO is convinced that there are more and refuses to deploy, and the Queen didn't want to attack the LZ and is refusing to de-ovi to go. What do you do?

Trevorious wrote:
8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.
-I'd PM both players and get the full situation, after checking notes.
If it was Role played well and both players were happy with it I'd not get involved.
If the player that was killed was not happy and there was little to no RP involved I'd aheal the dead player and a apply a Improper Escalation ban/note.

How would someone roleplay this situation well?

Trevorious wrote:
9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.
-I'd ask in OOC for the Racist comments to please stop.
If they continued, I'd PM the players who started it/are making the comments and request they stop.
I'd note them for the behavior if it was too toxic or excessive and if they refused to stop I'd apply a 3 hour ban for rule 1.

What is toxic or excessive? Would you do any sort of investigation before making that OOC request?

You haven't really said a lot. I know you're well meaning and nothing you've said is "wrong", but you do need to expand a little more on your answers. Hopefully answering the questions I've left will give us the extra clarity.

Trevorious
TGMC Administrator

Postby Trevorious » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:16 am #465883

Spoiler:
1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.

Please expand on "go from there". What would your reaction be if the shot killed the player?

~1. I would PM them and ask why they shot/killed a marine, after Ahealing. If it truly was a misfire from being disarmed or a misclick, and they seemed very sorry with good intent. I'd leave it as IC with a verbal warning.
However if there was a history of it and a bad attitude I'd apply a 3 hour ban, so hopefully they would think about what they're doing next time.

Why would you not refer them to a mentor immediately? It's what they're there for.

~2. Truth be told you are 100% right here and that's what I should do. I shouldn't take a mentors job.

Please expand on "go from there."

~3. I'd explain Rule Zero to them. If I had to use said rule then I would and I'd inform them they could make a report on the forums if they felt it was unjust.

How many occurrences would it take until there were repercussions? Would that change based on the name?

~4. Well if they only had one or two notes related to it, I'd explain rule three to them. If they still used the name after, I would tell them this was the final warning and note so.
If they continued to use it again after I'd apply a 3 hour ban for rule 3.

Also I wouldn't judge based on the name unless it was offensive or too much of a meme.
If it was ahelped and was offensive I'd politely inform them we do not like this type of behavior and that this would be the one and only warning.

~6.
I'm gonna throw some scenarios at you that I would like you to answer.

(A)- Marines are forced to evac from the planet and are clearly losing, but the Aliens elect to wait for all their captured hosts to burst, evolutions, and for all their T1s to reach ancient. What do?

*(A)- I'd send a PM to the queen or a queen mother message and tell her that waiting on bursts is fine, but evolutions and maturity will happen regardless of being ovi'd or not. I'd explain that the hosts are weak and the time to strike in now before they can recover.

(B)- Marines unga dunga hard and fast, and the aliens are now down to a young Queen, a runner, and a drone. They are constantly moving around the map and running from every contact. What do?

*(B)- I'd send a queen mother message and tell the rest of the hive there is little chance for victory. I'd recommend they group up and fight to the death for the hive.
If they still ran around hiding and it started to drag out I'd send ARES messages with the general location of the Queen. I'd rather not abomb them personally BC that's not fun or nice for anyone.

(C)- The CO orders an early evac because the LZ is getting attacked. About 40 marines evac, and there are about 15 aliens. A fairly even match. But the CO is convinced that there are more and refuses to deploy, and the Queen didn't want to attack the LZ and is refusing to de-ovi to go. What do you do?

*(C)- This one is a bit tricky, I personally don't like to force side to make moves. Especially when it's so even and could go either way.
I'd wait for a Bio scan/Queen Mother sense, and see if that makes either side make a move. If not I'd PM/HC or Q-mother message both the Queen, and the CO/XO or whoever was running CIC.

I'd ask the marines to redeploy, or for the xenos, to take the unguarded bird and go up. I'd tell the xenos they've had plenty of time to evo as Queen mother.
And I'd send a HC message to the marines saying they've had plenty of time to rearm and heal, and that this fight is not over yet. If that doesn't work then I'm not sure what else I could really do.

A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.

How would someone roleplay this situation well?

~8. I'm not sure, to be honest I don't think you actually can RP it out to make it okay killing someone for insults/punching or disarming. That's a pretty clear Escalation violation.

What is toxic or excessive? Would you do any sort of investigation before making that OOC request?

~9. I don't think a small things would be worth a ban or note, of course. We're all human and we say stupid stuff sometimes without thinking. But excessive would be if they were asked both IC and OOC to stop more than once and continued.
Or made worse comments/ more insulting comments and wouldn't reply to PMs. I'd also check logs before making any PMs or OOC messages to get context and intent ect.
But I'm assuming as it says, it was ahelped. So I would ask the person who ahelped to tell me everything first then look in further.

Also on a side note, sorry for the bad formatting! And if I have been to short it's just I'm just very new to this type of thing and don't wanna say something dumb and look silly.
But I'd love to have the chance to get the experience and help the server!
:Edited to fix formatting.

LaKiller8
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: LaKiller8

Postby LaKiller8 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:33 am #466667

Thank you for showing interest and applying! I'll point out some things regarding your answers, Rohesie also has something to say so this application might take a while as they are currently away.

Trevorious wrote:~3. I'd explain Rule Zero to them. If I had to use said rule then I would and I'd inform them they could make a report on the forums if they felt it was unjust.

Are you sure this would fall under Rule 0?

Trevorious wrote:~4. -snip-
Also I wouldn't judge based on the name unless it was offensive or too much of a meme.
If it was ahelped and was offensive I'd politely inform them we do not like this type of behavior and that this would be the one and only warning.

What if it was against the naming policy but wasn't ahelped?

Trevorious wrote: *(A)- I'd send a PM to the queen or a queen mother message and tell her that waiting on bursts is fine, but evolutions and maturity will happen regardless of being ovi'd or not. I'd explain that the hosts are weak and the time to strike in now before they can recover.

Sending a message is fine, if they purposefully keep delaying though, you should do something nice for the marines. It's best to solve delaying issues through IC means before OOC ones until proper code solutions (more win conditions) can be implemented.

Trevorious wrote: *(B)- I'd send a queen mother message and tell the rest of the hive there is little chance for victory. I'd recommend they group up and fight to the death for the hive.
If they still ran around hiding and it started to drag out I'd send ARES messages with the general location of the Queen. I'd rather not abomb them personally BC that's not fun or nice for anyone.

Something from game design theory to keep in mind - don't punish unwanted behavior, promote wanted behavior. Something more appropriate and fun for the players would be either giving marines new tools, sending a friendly ERT, running accurate bioscans more often as they give locations.
Here's an interesting video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8vAGGitr8

Trevorious wrote: *(C)- This one is a bit tricky, I personally don't like to force side to make moves. Especially when it's so even and could go either way.
I'd wait for a Bio scan/Queen Mother sense, and see if that makes either side make a move. If not I'd PM/HC or Q-mother message both the Queen, and the CO/XO or whoever was running CIC.

I'd ask the marines to redeploy, or for the xenos, to take the unguarded bird and go up. I'd tell the xenos they've had plenty of time to evo as Queen mother.
And I'd send a HC message to the marines saying they've had plenty of time to rearm and heal, and that this fight is not over yet. If that doesn't work then I'm not sure what else I could really do.

If it's really indecisive, encouraging both sides through a message and if one of them keeps delaying, boosting the other one is a good choice.

Trevorious wrote:~8. I'm not sure, to be honest I don't think you actually can RP it out to make it okay killing someone for insults/punching or disarming. That's a pretty clear Escalation violation.

Imagine you were in that scenario, a verbal argument would ensue as it is literally a matter of life and death, wouldn't you kill in order to survive?

Trevorious wrote:~9. I don't think a small things would be worth a ban or note, of course. We're all human and we say stupid stuff sometimes without thinking. But excessive would be if they were asked both IC and OOC to stop more than once and continued.
Or made worse comments/ more insulting comments and wouldn't reply to PMs. I'd also check logs before making any PMs or OOC messages to get context and intent ect.
But I'm assuming as it says, it was ahelped. So I would ask the person who ahelped to tell me everything first then look in further.

A lot of the situations you will be dealing with won't be ahelped, it will be your job to step in when appropriate. That's also something to consider, as moderating isn't always pleasant work.

Trevorious
TGMC Administrator

Postby Trevorious » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:37 am #466860

Spoiler:
~3. I'd explain Rule Zero to them. If I had to use said rule then I would and I'd inform them they could make a report on the forums if they felt it was unjust.

Are you sure this would fall under Rule 0?

~3. I am fairly sure it would fall under Rule Zero and Rule Six if I was truly the only admin on to handle it.
It might even fall under rule one if the player was being very rude then refused to talk with me in the PMs.

But the question is very vague, considering it doesn't give the full situation. I have no idea what is actually being Ahelped, or why the player is so upset/aggressive about it. If they actually got griefed or something similar. It might make it a little more understandable as to why they are so upset and want a higher opinion.

~4. Also I wouldn't judge based on the name unless it was offensive or too much of a meme.

What if it was against the naming policy but wasn't ahelped?

~4. Same thing, when I noticed I'd check notes to see if this was the first time. After I'd apply a note and PM them and explain our rules on names.
Then I'd the suggest a few name I could change it to that fit the rules or let them make one up they liked.

If it wasn't the first time I'd note so and tell them this was becoming a common issue with them. And that next time they might not just get a warning.

*(A)- I'd send a PM to the queen or a queen mother message and tell her that waiting on bursts is fine, but evolutions and maturity will happen regardless of being ovi'd or not. I'd explain that the hosts are weak and the time to strike in now before they can recover.

Sending a message is fine, if they purposefully keep delaying though, you should do something nice for the marines. It's best to solve delaying issues through IC means before OOC ones until proper code solutions (more win conditions) can be implemented.

*(A)- Right, I'll remember that. It makes it funner for most the playerbase, and smoother for us to keep things as IC as possible.

*(B)- I'd send a queen mother message and tell the rest of the hive there is little chance for victory. I'd recommend they group up and fight to the death for the hive.

Something from game design theory to keep in mind - don't punish unwanted behavior, promote wanted behavior. Something more appropriate and fun for the players would be either giving marines new tools, sending a friendly ERT, running accurate bioscans more often as they give locations.

*(B)- I really liked the video, and I see what you mean. An ERT or weapon shipment could be a nice thing to do for the marines, and if the xeno got upset a few runners or similar could maybe be spawned in.
I've seen admins do it before on CM but it was a kinda rare thing.

*(C)- This one is a bit tricky, I personally don't like to force side to make moves. Especially when it's so even and could go either way.

If it's really indecisive, encouraging both sides through a message and if one of them keeps delaying, boosting the other one is a good choice.

*(C)- Right, so message both sides and tell them if they strike now HC/Queen Mother will give them support.

~8. I'm not sure, to be honest I don't think you actually can RP it out to make it okay killing someone for insults/punching or disarming. That's a pretty clear Escalation violation.

Imagine you were in that scenario, a verbal argument would ensue as it is literally a matter of life and death, wouldn't you kill in order to survive?

~8. Well personally. No I wouldn't Harm/kill a fellow player until they proved to be hostile or a threat by trying to Harm/kill me first.
Xeno are a exception considering they look scary but even then I don't tend to gun one down on first contact.

But if I PM'd the players and got both sides of the story and logs matched ones or boths story I'd probably just leave it as a warning after an, aheal if needed.

A lot of the situations you will be dealing with won't be ahelped, it will be your job to step in when appropriate. That's also something to consider, as moderating isn't always pleasant work.

~9.I fully understand. I don't think the server has many, if any problem players right now.
I know that might change when the server goes up 24/7. But I am more than willing help in any way I can even if it's a little unpleasant or stressful.

Rohesie
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Rohesie

Postby Rohesie » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:10 am #468446

Hey. Sorry about taking so long to answer. I was abroad visiting family during the holidays and then my computer got into trouble. I'm phoneposting here, waiting for it to be fixed. Hopefully soon...

That said, I've shared several rounds with you in the past, some good some not so much. The general impression I've gotten from you is that once you lose your cool you can be pretty toxic. And that tends to happen when you play roles of responsibility. This should not be a surprise to you, given your notes history in CM and the recent incident.

All that said, in the rest of the moments you are a pretty good player. You've done some nice RP and are quite active. Furthermore, you've admitted to not being a model player and stated a desire to change. That's points for you in my book.

Personally I'd like to give you a chance and try to let you see if you fit in what we are doing, see if you like it and you can show us that good side of yours that's a pleasure to have near. I doubt it would happen without any incidents, but as long as you are well-meaning and willing we can try something, as long as other admins are also willing to show you the ropes around here.

Trevorious
TGMC Administrator

Postby Trevorious » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:06 am #469494

I am sorry for the late reply as well, at first I wasn't sure how to respond. Then my phone plan got cut off and that's been a headache so far to deal with.
Anyways, I have thought a lot on what you have said, it hurt at first but the truth usually does.

It is a very valid concern and I have been known to lose my temper, usually when I feel something is unfair or not right.
But I understand if I am to become a member of the staff I will be expected to act with a much higher standard and much more level head.
I have been trying to show improvement in my general attitude and RP on CM. Also I know I've also missed the last few test that were ran on TGMC but it was not intentional.
I've been trying to cut back on my over all playtime as I feel it was a big part of my attitude problems. And every time I've seen a test ran lately I was either a day late or I was not home to join.

I've also been looking for a job so my schedule will most likely be changing some. All that said, I am very grateful for you giving me a chance, and even considering this app.
I know things will not be easy, people will not be nice and well meaning all the time towards me and it will push me to my limits more than I have been as a normal player.

I don't want to be let on if you all think I'm not ready for it and I would have no hard feeling at all. I'd rather play more and let everyone on the server get to know me better if that will be the main concern.

LaKiller8
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: LaKiller8

Postby LaKiller8 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:42 am #471778

Hello! After consulting with the rest of the admin team, I have decided to accept this application! Welcome to the team, I'll explain everything on our Discord.

Return to TGMC Closed Applications