GhostAvenger - Administrator Application

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Admin, Game Server Operators, TGMC Administrator, TGMC Lead

Chynya

Byond Username: GhostAvenger

GhostAvenger - Administrator Application

Postby Chynya » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:47 am #503064

Current ckey and any previous ckeys: GhostAvenger is my only CKey
Character name(s): Killian Kye
Timezone: Pacific Time
Discord tag: Chynya
Any previous experience administrating? Where and in what manner: I have experience in GMOD servers, and I used to manage my College's Discord Channel as a head admin
How familiar are you with our ruleset: I am quite familiar with the general rules.
How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general: I have started playing about....5-6 month ago? Not quite sure.
Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months? If so, what server, and for what reason: I have been banned for 15 minutes before I think, but I have forgotten why.
Have you ever recieved a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason: No
Why do you believe that you would make a good admin? I am online often, and I am often online when the server usually shuts down due to lack of an admin.
What's one aspect of how you play the game that you think you could improve on? I need to learn a bit more regarding the MP laws and how engineering department works.
What standards do you personally hold players to? How should judgements on their actions be determined? The judgement should be determined based on their past actions and their ability to know they have made a mistake.
What is a good metric or standard to go by when doing admin events? What would you try to consider when doing an admin event? How often do you think you'd run admin events? I believe it should be ran maybe every 10 rounds or so. The good measure of an event should be to ensure that the players are enjoying the event, and that you don't try to force players to do things they do not wish to do.
What do you think you'll find most enjoyable about being an admin? What do you think you'll find least enjoyable? Just having admin experience on SS13 is a great reason for me to join an admin team, and since the playerbase is rather small, I think this would be a great way to learn more about SS13's moderation systems.
No one admins forever. For what reason or how do you think you will stop adminning? Do you think you'll be able to call it quits when you've had enough? My College schedule may conflict with me, making me have to take a break.

1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.
Ask the shooter if it was an accident or not and I would make my judgement call based on the player's previous notes. If the notes are fairly clean, I would tell them to be careful and let them off. If not, I would most likely warn them.

2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.
Get them a mentor, and if none is available, I would guide them on the basics of the game.

3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.
Deny the request. I have no obligation to let them talk to higher staff member. If they are having problem with the way I handle things, they can complain about me on the forum appeal.

4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.
Well the rule here is that the name is not allowed. I will tell them to change the name.

5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
IC issue. I would let the MPs handle it.

6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens (balance will change over time, just imagine a stalemate scenario according to the current meta). The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
I would message the xenos in some ways to push the marines, and do the same to the marines' command staff to encourage the marines to push out.

7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.
I would ask them to stop and return the items stolen. Warn may be needed, and further action would depend on the note.

8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.
I would tell them the rule regarding the escalation, and warn them shooter.

9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.
Tell the marines to tone down the racism.
wa
10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.
Immediate ban, with appeal link.

11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.
Unless they had permission from the queen, this is a warn for suiciding as xeno larva. I would check the note if further action is needed.

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
Tell the player that this is a RP server, and to tone down the memes.

13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.
First contact rule does not apply to TGMC. This ain't CM.

14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.
Rather tricky. It would depend if the dead marine complains, and I would leave the note for future.

15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.
I would leave a note on the SL, and I would tell the command staff that the SL has SSDed.

16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.
I would tell the staff the correct information, and would make sure correct information is given to the player.

17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.
Tell them to stop, and if you notice that this behavior is consistent, I would tell the higher staff member or make a abuse appeal.

18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.
Tell them to stop if the other party does not like it, and if they refuse, warn them.

19. A player ahelps saying that they were instantly killed by another member of their squad. When you ask their squad member who shot them, they said that it was accidental friendly fire.
I would check the note and the log of the player. If it was really an accident according to the log.
TG
Killian Kye

TGMC
Synth: Seraph
Beno: The Monarch
TGMC Pleb: Krieg Fauser
TGMC Command: Major Jameson Kane

LaKiller8
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: LaKiller8

Re: GhostAvenger - Administrator Application

Postby LaKiller8 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:20 am #503073

Hello, thank you for showing interest and applying!

Chynya wrote:14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.
Rather tricky. It would depend if the dead marine complains, and I would leave the note for future.

Under what circumstances would you leave the note, and what would it say?

Chynya wrote:17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.
Tell them to stop, and if you notice that this behavior is consistent, I would tell the higher staff member or make a abuse appeal.

Does that mean you would only report it if it was repeated?

Chynya wrote:19. A player ahelps saying that they were instantly killed by another member of their squad. When you ask their squad member who shot them, they said that it was accidental friendly fire.
I would check the note and the log of the player. If it was really an accident according to the log.

What would you look for to determine if it was an accident or not?

Rafar9
TGMC Administrator

Byond Username: Rafar9

Postby Rafar9 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:28 pm #503106

Chynya wrote:4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.
Well the rule here is that the name is not allowed. I will tell them to change the name.

Would any further administrative action be necessary such as a note?

Chynya wrote:11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.
Unless they had permission from the queen, this is a warn for suiciding as xeno larva. I would check the note if further action is needed.

What if they had several prior notes for this sort of behavior?

Chynya wrote:15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.
I would leave a note on the SL, and I would tell the command staff that the SL has SSDed.

1. How would you inform the command staff of this incident?
2. Why would it be necessary to inform them
3. What if they had a long history of logging off as important roles

Chynya wrote:18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.
Tell them to stop if the other party does not like it, and if they refuse, warn them.

How would you determine if the other server/player does not like the bashing? And if they refused would it be a simple verbal warning and nothing else done?

Chynya

Postby Chynya » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:06 pm #503113

LaKiller8 wrote:Hello, thank you for showing interest and applying!

Chynya wrote:14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.

Under what circumstances would you leave the note, and what would it say?
If the dead player complains about this I would leave a note, and the note would be something along the line of ensuring that the shooter has very good reason to do something like this again.

Chynya wrote:17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.

Does that mean you would only report it if it was repeated?
I guess I should have rephrased that. I meant if they realize they were abusing power and they continue to do so I would report. He may not realize that what he was doing was against the rule and was an accident

Chynya wrote:19. A player ahelps saying that they were instantly killed by another member of their squad. When you ask their squad member who shot them, they said that it was accidental friendly fire.

What would you look for to determine if it was an accident or not?
If similar incident has happened before, and I am not sure how logging system works, so I would probably talk to both of the parties involved to see if there was any conflict that could have caused this.
Last edited by Chynya on Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TG
Killian Kye

TGMC

Chynya

Postby Chynya » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:15 pm #503114

Rafar9 wrote:
Chynya wrote:4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.

Would any further administrative action be necessary such as a note?
Possibly. It would depend on their behavior during the talk. The player may try to use the same kind of logic to try to justify a different rule breaking in the future. I would remind them to review the rules to make sure they know the rules.

Chynya wrote:11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.

If this behavior was repeated previously, I would most likely hand out a xeno ban. But I am not quite sure on the precise punishments that would be needed according to the rules.

Chynya wrote:15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.

After more consideration, I feel like it would be better to just cryo the SL, and leave a note.
After more consideration, I feel like it would be better to just cryo the SL, and leave a note.
If they have consistent record of such thing, I would most likely ban them from the roles.

Chynya wrote:18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.

How would you determine if the other server/player does not like the bashing? And if they refused would it be a simple verbal warning and nothing else done?
I would talk to them in OOC if they are just joking around, and if they refuse, I would mute their OOC and leave a note.
TG
Killian Kye

TGMC

LaKiller8
TGMC Lead

Postby LaKiller8 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:34 pm #503116

On a slightly different note, I've noticed you are currently not in our Discord. Currently, that's the main place where our community gathers, also where all staff communication happens. Of course, you are not forced to join right now, just note that if this application is accepted you will likely have to to be able to fulfill your duties.

Chynya

Postby Chynya » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:23 pm #503120

LaKiller8 wrote:On a slightly different note, I've noticed you are currently not in our Discord. Currently, that's the main place where our community gathers, also where all staff communication happens. Of course, you are not forced to join right now, just note that if this application is accepted you will likely have to to be able to fulfill your duties.

I am on Normal TG server discord. Is there a TGMC discord that is seperate? If so, could you send me the invite link?
TG
Killian Kye

TGMC

LaKiller8
TGMC Lead

Postby LaKiller8 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:24 pm #503121

Chynya

Postby Chynya » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:08 pm #503126

I have joined it
TG
Killian Kye

TGMC

Rohesie
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Rohesie

Postby Rohesie » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:30 am #503219

Hello and thanks for applying!

It has been brought to my attention that you are applying for staff in TGMC and CM both. While e don't have a exclusivity policy, your are free to staff for as many servers as you can handle, they kind of do have one, so staffing for both is not really possible. Were you aware of this? How would you handle being approved in both?

Chynya

Postby Chynya » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:44 am #503220

Rohesie wrote:Hello and thanks for applying!

It has been brought to my attention that you are applying for staff in TGMC and CM both. While e don't have a exclusivity policy, your are free to staff for as many servers as you can handle, they kind of do have one, so staffing for both is not really possible. Were you aware of this? How would you handle being approved in both?

Is that true? If that is the case, I would probably stick with the one I get approved of first. I am more concerned about gaining moderating experience so I would probably remove the other application.
TG
Killian Kye

TGMC

Chynya

Postby Chynya » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:45 pm #503296

Actually after thinking a bit more, I will remove the application from CM.
TG
Killian Kye

TGMC

Chynya

Postby Chynya » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:54 am #503384

Also in case you guys missed it, the answer to the questions are in my post above.
TG
Killian Kye

TGMC

Rohesie
TGMC Lead

Postby Rohesie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:52 am #503393

Hello, and thanks for applying!

Chynya wrote:1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.
Ask the shooter if it was an accident or not and I would make my judgement call based on the player's previous notes. If the notes are fairly clean, I would tell them to be careful and let them off. If not, I would most likely warn them.

Hypothetical situation: three people get into a scuffle, A and B vs C (two vs one). A and B start punching C over a rude remark. C pulls a knife and stabs A. B pulls a revolver and starts shooting C. C pulls a rifle, and they all do the same, ending in everyone wounded and C dead.
A has a note about improper escalation from before.
B has no notes.
C has a note about using OOC terms in hivemind (OOC in IC).

How would you handle each? Which would you poke, with what kind of approach and possible intervention (warning/punishment), and which would you not?
Would you use your admin powers for intervening in any way besides moderating?

Chynya

Postby Chynya » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:30 am #503395

Rohesie wrote:Hello, and thanks for applying!

Chynya wrote:1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.

Hypothetical situation: three people get into a scuffle, A and B vs C (two vs one). A and B start punching C over a rude remark. C pulls a knife and stabs A. B pulls a revolver and starts shooting C. C pulls a rifle, and they all do the same, ending in everyone wounded and C dead.
A has a note about improper escalation from before.
B has no notes.
C has a note about using OOC terms in hivemind (OOC in IC).

How would you handle each? Which would you poke, with what kind of approach and possible intervention (warning/punishment), and which would you not?
Would you use your admin powers for intervening in any way besides moderating?

I see this as mishandling of escalation. Unless his life was in danger, C should not have drawn a lethal weapon. C has escalated the conflict from simple brawl that could have just ended in injury to lethal gunfight.
For A, I am not sure how he was involved during this escalation, so I would need more detail. But if he remained at fist fight level, I wouldn't give him a warning.
For B and C, I would at least give a warning and a note, since B has no note and C has no note regarding escalation issue.
Finally, I would give them all a link to the rule regarding escalation.

Sadly, I am not quite knowledgeable in requirements for admin intervention for this kind of situation, but I would probably say I would revive C. Now, I would probably make better judgement if I know what kind of argument was going on and at what point the conflict turned physical, and my answer could vary from having more information.
TG
Killian Kye

TGMC

Rohesie
TGMC Lead

Postby Rohesie » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:15 pm #503535

Alright, the answers in general are alright. They don't show deep knowledge of our rules or high experience playing here, but neither they raise any big flags, and part of the candidacy and trial is precisely to learn the tools.

That said, learning our rules is not necessarily so. There's a certain expectation of the candidates to be more acquainted with our server and game mode.

If you don't mind us keeping this open, we can wait a month or two and see how your playtime goes here. What do you say?

Chynya

Postby Chynya » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:32 pm #503565

Rohesie wrote:Alright, the answers in general are alright. They don't show deep knowledge of our rules or high experience playing here, but neither they raise any big flags, and part of the candidacy and trial is precisely to learn the tools.

That said, learning our rules is not necessarily so. There's a certain expectation of the candidates to be more acquainted with our server and game mode.

If you don't mind us keeping this open, we can wait a month or two and see how your playtime goes here. What do you say?

I do not mind. I have played SS13 for at least half a year. I can wait more.
TG
Killian Kye

TGMC

LaKiller8
TGMC Lead

Postby LaKiller8 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:45 pm #506947

It has been roughly a month, how are you liking it here so far? Any answers you would change after playing?

Chynya

Postby Chynya » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:40 pm #507281

LaKiller8 wrote:It has been roughly a month, how are you liking it here so far? Any answers you would change after playing?

I have thoroughly enjoyed it as I have with other servers. I try to find the answers I have changed and post it here.
TG
Killian Kye

TGMC

Chynya

Postby Chynya » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:49 pm #507289

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
If the xeno queen does not like it, tell the player that this is a RP server, and to tone down the memes.

You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.

I have changed the answer to not informing the command staff and simply cryoing the SL.
If they have consistent record of such thing, I would most likely ban them from the roles.

You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.

I would most likely forbid them from the xeno role after I talk to them about it.
TG
Killian Kye

TGMC

psykzz
TGMC Administrator

Byond Username: Psykzz
Github Username: psykzz

Postby psykzz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:17 pm #507585

A few questions, wondering how would you handle the following situations.

1. Some terribles coders have introduced a new feature, and its breaking the round for 2/3 players

2. A marine, that takes the game seriously, ahelps because he believes another marine, who is more laid back, is fucking about, their ahelp is pretty aggressive to the other player.

Chynya

Postby Chynya » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:22 pm #507829

psykzz wrote:A few questions, wondering how would you handle the following situations.

1. Some terribles coders have introduced a new feature, and its breaking the round for 2/3 players

2. A marine, that takes the game seriously, ahelps because he believes another marine, who is more laid back, is fucking about, their ahelp is pretty aggressive to the other player.

1. I would document how the problem is occurring if I can, and I am not sure how code merge works but I would most likely roll back the merge. Once I have done so, I would post the issue on the github.

2. I would listen to the marine that ahelped and see what their problem is. Once I have listened to their side, I would check up on the marine in question to see if their behavior is LRP or just actually mucking about. It would depend on the situation, but I would most likely talk to the laid back player about the expectations for players, especially if their role is crucial like specialist, medic, or SL.
TG
Killian Kye

TGMC

psykzz
TGMC Administrator

Postby psykzz » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:12 am #507955

Chynya wrote:1. I would document how the problem is occurring if I can, and I am not sure how code merge works but I would most likely roll back the merge. Once I have done so, I would post the issue on the github.

2. I would listen to the marine that ahelped and see what their problem is. Once I have listened to their side, I would check up on the marine in question to see if their behavior is LRP or just actually mucking about. It would depend on the situation, but I would most likely talk to the laid back player about the expectations for players, especially if their role is crucial like specialist, medic, or SL.

1. Assuming you have no control over the code, Are there any other actions you could take?

2. Does your answer change if you knew that the ahelping marine had an aggressive tone with their message?

Chynya

Postby Chynya » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:37 am #507972

psykzz wrote:
Chynya wrote:1. I would document how the problem is occurring if I can, and I am not sure how code merge works but I would most likely roll back the merge. Once I have done so, I would post the issue on the github.

1. Assuming you have no control over the code, Are there any other actions you could take?

2. Does your answer change if you knew that the ahelping marine had an aggressive tone with their message?

1. I would immediately inform higher staff online, and if none is available, I would inform whoever is available on discord. While I wait for them, I would try to minimize the damage in any way I can.

2. If their behavior is aggressive, I would tell them to tone it down, telling them that being aggressive won't help the case. Other then that, unless they keep pushing their luck, my judgement will not change. I would keep an eye on them though just in case.
TG
Killian Kye

TGMC

psykzz
TGMC Administrator

Postby psykzz » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:44 am #508072

Chynya wrote:1. I would immediately inform higher staff online, and if none is available, I would inform whoever is available on discord. While I wait for them, I would try to minimize the damage in any way I can.

How would you minimize the damage?

Chynya

Postby Chynya » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:16 pm #508105

psykzz wrote:
Chynya wrote:1. I would immediately inform higher staff online, and if none is available, I would inform whoever is available on discord. While I wait for them, I would try to minimize the damage in any way I can.

How would you minimize the damage?

That would heavily depend on what kind of bug is occurring, but it would mostly informing the player of the bug and how to prevent it from affecting them.
Lets say it is an exploit that gives unfair advantage. I would most likely discuss it with the players and tell them to not to use the exploit, and monitor the bug to make sure it is not being abused.
Or it could be a bug with a certain item that breaks the game. I would, once again, inform the players about the cause and effect of the bug, and would probably remove it from the game for the round.
If it is a more general bug like certain skill is not working, same applies. I would inform the player.
TG
Killian Kye

TGMC

Rohesie
TGMC Lead

Postby Rohesie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:59 am #508468

Hello! We've discussed this application as a team, and the conclusion we came to is that while you have good activity you seem to be still a bit new to the game mode and server.
Don't take this as a hard no, we'd like to see you play more and get used to it before taking on admin responsibility duties. An admin is partly a mentor as well, and often has to fulfill the role.
Try playing different roles and poking here and there, asking the mentors while in doubt, and feel free to re-apply at a later date. You can also go for mentor once you've grasped the mechanics, if you feel like taking an intermediary step as well.
Thank you for applying, and hope to see you more around.

Return to TGMC Closed Applications