[ADMIN] Fauxvail

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Admin, Game Server Operators, TGMC Game Server Operators, TGMC Administrator, TGMC Lead

Fauxvail
TGMC Administrator

Byond Username: Fauxvail

[ADMIN] Fauxvail

Postby Fauxvail » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:42 am #576497

Current ckey and any previous ckeys: Fauxvail

Character name(s): Rikka 'Patches' Hoffmann

Timezone: GMT+8 (Asia)

Discord tag: XPotato#5977

Any previous experience administrating? Where and in what manner: No serious experience. I have played around with the local server admin tabs, but no true experience adminning a real server.

How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general: About a year and a half by now, since I started around the end of April - beginning of May.

Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months? If so, what server, and for what reason: Does an EORG ban from CM13 count? I have been banned for EORG in CM13 for accidentally pointblanking myself with a shotgun when I tried to heal myself as a medic.

Have you ever recieved a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason: No.

Why do you believe that you would make a good admin? As an absolute newbie to being an SS13 server admin, I still have a lot to learn. The best I can do when I get admin rights is to host the server for the times it is down, to be honest. I would still have to get used to it. However, I will do my absolute best to make sure I don't screw up, and I will ask for advice from more senior staff.

What's one aspect of how you play the game that you think you could improve on? Playing the Corpsman role. Often there's barely any Corpsmen playing in rounds, which does hamper the marine effort to win rounds since Corpsmen are pretty efficient at healing more-so than Squad Marines are.

What standards do you personally hold players to? How should judgements on their actions be determined? While I joke around having low expectations of players and that one should never trust another, I do still hold the average player to be at least semi-competent. I believe their actions should be judged according to the context of the situation.

What is a good metric or standard to go by when doing admin events? What would you try to consider when doing an admin event? How often do you think you'd run admin events? I feel like admin events should be done as infrequently as possible so they don't get too stale from having too many admin events. In addition, admin events should be short and enjoyable so the players may get back to the real game.

What do you think you'll find most enjoyable about being an admin? What do you think you'll find least enjoyable? What I think is what I'll enjoy the most is observing the rounds, maybe sprinkling a micro event in between, giving a bit of dynamic in the rounds. TGMC rounds get monotonous and burn people out quick, I think some spice wouldn't hurt. What I would find to be least enjoyable is cutting my playtime in order to handle ahelps, or just not playing at all in order to focus on being an admin, but I would assume it is the price of being an admin.

No one admins forever. For what reason or how do you think you will stop adminning? Do you think you'll be able to call it quits when you've had enough? I'm a freshman in a university for now, and through the months I might get schoolwork that might be too much for me to stay as an admin for TGMC and still be able to do homework. Thankfully with the pandemic around, I only have to 'attend' school 3 times a week, which gives me plenty of time to admin. When the time comes that I would retire, I would think it is because of burnout.

Please fill out the following example scenarios, put your answer on a separate line from the question:

1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.
Ascertain whether the player in question is new or not. If yes, I'll give them a chance and nudge the MPs towards releasing them. If not, ask why they shot the other player, and I'll pass judgment depending on the answer that follows.

2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.
Maybe discreetly spawn in as some sort of a Drill Sergeant and approach the player in question. Again, determine whether the player is new or joking around. If the former, I'll point them to the right direction. If the latter, I'll slap them on the wrist.

3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.
I'd try to defuse the situation and hand out a warning. I think myself as a considerate person and it may be just a player who's incredibly frustrated. I'd try to find out the reason of the aggravation and handle it from there.

4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.
I'd try to verify whether this is actually the case with the other servers, but if I'm unable to, or just lazy, I'll ask him if they can slightly change it to fit in with our naming conventions but still being essentially the name they want.

5. You see an ST running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
If they are going to deploy to groundside, I'll allow it. However, if not, I'll be watching the ST in question fairly closely and generally nudge them to taking off or storing the weapons and armor somewhere. A bwoink is unneeded, just a whisper or the imaginary friend function should suffice.

6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens (balance will change over time, just imagine a stalemate scenario according to the current meta). The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
Try to provide an incentive to pushing out. IE, give the aliens a short objective such as destroying an object which would reward them at least 2 new T1s or 1 T2, or giving the marines req points/reinforcements as a confidence boost. The objective would be somewhere in the middle of the maps in a reasonable location suitable for encouraging fighting.

7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.
I'd send the marine a bwoink, that kind of stuff is annoying and may cause delays for marines preparing for deployment. Especially when it might also lead to guns being fired at each other.

8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.
Hand out a warning, cite improper escalation rules, and aheal the killed marine. If they do it again, I'll hand out a temporary ban worth a couple hours at most, or at least something that takes them out of the round.

9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.
The problem here is that what they may find as racist is what I wouldn't see as racist, so I'll try to understand the situation as best I could. I won't be handing out bans or warnings in this situation, but I would ask them to stop the conversation and move on to other topics.

10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.
Try to determine the IP address or ckey and ban it.

11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.
The larva might have attempted to evolve near the frontlines, or the frontlines moved too fast that they reached the larva. If the larva had deliberately moved near the marines to get killed, I would message the player in question about it. There's a high chance they will say no, so I will warn them and observe their actions for the rest of the hosting.

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
I'd tell it to stop. There are still RP standards that has to be followed.

13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.
I would let it go. It's universal knowledge that marines know about the xenos by now.

14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.
While I would determine if the affected party has roleplayed just as well, I would still ask if they were cool with what happened. If not, I'll give them a cool gun in End of Round Deathmatch, and tell the player who killed to avoid killing any more in evacs.

15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.
I would alert the shipside crew to put the SSD SL to cryo, maybe opening up a slot. I'll see if the player in question is in the Discord server and talk it out in private messages. If the reason they give for leaving early is reasonable enough, they're off the hook, but if I feel like it isn't, I'll try to ask other admins for their opinions.

16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.
I would obviously inform them that the information was wrong. If they insist, and if I consider it serious enough, I would bring in other - preferably senior - admins, not to help me in ganging up on the staff in question, but to hand off the situation to more experienced hands. If it isn't too serious, I'll talk with the staff in question myself.

17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.
Tell them to stop, as it obviously isn't healthy for the ongoing round. If it persists or otherwise goes out of hand, I'll report it to senior staff who's more equipped to deal with the situation.

18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.
Kindly ask them to stop and turn to other topics. If it continues, I'll mute OOC chat for a few moments and put up a message telling them to stop, before bringing it back.

19. A player ahelps saying that they were instantly killed by another member of their squad. When you ask their squad member who shot them, they said that it was accidental friendly fire.
This is a tricky situation and it happens too often. Try to determine whether the player affected was at least healthy or not, and whether the incident happened at or near the frontlines, or at the back. If it turned out to be deliberate, I'll hand out a warning, as it isn't a bannable offense yet. The affected player won't be ahealed however, but I'll nudge a nearby medical personnel to aid them.

terranaut
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Terranaut

Re: [ADMIN] Fauxvail

Postby terranaut » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:13 pm #576734

Accepted and roled in, welcome.

Tell me I'm a good monki: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=24558

Return to TGMC Closed Applications