[Dagnabit] - Administrator Application

Moderators: In-Game Admin, In-Game Head Admins, Game Server Operators, TGMC Game Server Operators, TGMC Administrator, TGMC Lead

Commando

Byond Username: Dagnabit

[Dagnabit] - Administrator Application

Postby Commando » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:46 am #480530

Current ckey and any previous ckeys: Dagnabit
Character name(s): Leif Woollard for the past two years around
Timezone: Central Time (CT)
Discord tag: COMMANDO#6297
Any previous experience administrating? Where and in what manner: I've been an administrator on a couple of gmod servers, never any ss13. Just a few DarkRP's on gmod awhile ago. Nothing since then, Although I'm a fast learner and eager to help out on TGMC.
How familiar are you with our ruleset: Pretty familiar now that I've read over it a few times.
How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general: Been playing ss13 for years(CM,TG,and others), and I've been playing tgmc since the first day it popped up on the hub as dmca and haven't stopped since.
Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months? If so, what server, and for what reason: Nothing in the past 6 months.
Have you ever recieved a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason: Never recieved a permanant ban from an ss13 server.
Why do you want to become an administrator: I would like to be an adminstrator on TGMC because I think I would make a good fit with the team, and I would like to see the server up and fully staffed with people who actually care about it enough to put the effort in.
Please fill out the following example scenarios, put your answer on a separate line from the question:
1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.

First things first, I'd check their notes to see if they've done similar things in the past. I'd then PM both parties involved including the MP's that carried out the arrest to get the details and acertain if escalation had taken place or if it was just griefing or even an accident. If it was done on purpose and without escalation or even a good motive it would be a pretty hefty ban if not a perma.

2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.

Probably a new player, I'd take a look at what job they were and try to assist them in learning it if they wanted. Also I'd put them in contact with one of our mentors.

3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.

I'd let him know that admin shopping isn't allowed as per our rule 6 precidents, and if he doesn't like my ruling or he finds it unfair I'd also let him know he's welcomed to appeal it after the round is over.

4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.

I'd just let him know the rules on TGMC are different than those servers. I would then ask if he'd like the name changed to something else(within the rules) or if he'd liked it blanked if its a xeno name.

5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.

I would first check their notes to make sure this isn't something the player is making a habit of, if not I would simply warn them to put the gear up until xenos(or any other hostiles)are spotted on or coming to the almayer.

6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?

Well an easy solution to that is to send a bioscan to the marines letting them know how much they outnumber the xenos and even letting them know where one of them is. Another way is sending an ert either to bolster the marine's or xeno's numbers giving them some motivation/morale to finish it out.

7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.

Ask what they are doing and why, if the problem persists I'd give them a ban. If they respond politey and acknowledge the rules then I'd just make a note of it

8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.

First thing I'd do is aheal the guy he shot then check their notes and see if they have a history of overescalating. If not I'd make sure they have a clear understanding of our policy on escalation and warn them that future overescalation will result in a ban, and if they respond well I'd leave a note. If they have a history with this type of thing or they are hostile in ahelps this will definatly result in a lengthy ban.

9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.

I'd ask the 9 nicely to stop with the remarks, if they didn't I'd pm them to make sure they understand rule number one.

10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.

Aheal all of the marines he killed/wounded and permanantly ban the marine responsible for griefing.

11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.

Well, I'd say its not really a problem until they are making a habit of it. perhaps they are new or perhaps it was an accident. Would just note and move on.

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.

I'd only give a ban for something like this if it was a repeated behavior and the player had been noted and told to stop before, otherwise I'd be the one noting them and warning them against this type of lrp behaivor.

13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.

Don't see a problem with this as marines know that xenos exist.

14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.

I might just let it slide after reviewing the situation myself, as purposely killing another marine under 99% of circumstances isn't acceptable. Only if it was RP'ed extremely well and the person he killed isn't too burnt up over it. In most cases If he rped it well this would probably be a note and 2-3 day ban.

15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.

Well if they didn't have prior notes about them doing this before, I'd give them the benifit of the doubt that it was probably something like an internet/power outage. Now if they are doing this often or on a role even more important to the station(CO/XO) then It would be met with a jobban from command roles.

16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.

Let them know politely they gave the wrong information and give them the right info. After all staff is here to help eachother.

17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.

I would immediately start gathering information/evidence on the specific occurance and find out if this isn't just a one off thing and report all findings to the leads so they can deal with the situation appropriately .

18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.

Ask them politely to stop, if they continue to do so maybe short term ban/ooc ban is in order.

19. A player ahelps saying that they were instantly killed by another member of their squad. When you ask their squad member who shot them, they said that it was accidental friendly fire.

Well, many things could be going on here such as non accidental friendly fire or the guy who got ff'ed is lying to get the other marine banned even though it was really an accident. I'd have to let the logs judge this situation and it could be a ban for either depending on what I see.

Urytion

Byond Username: Urytion

Re: [Dagnabit] - Administrator Application

Postby Urytion » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:08 am #480533

I don't have much to say in specific instances on your questions, they all have the same issue: You seem to be extremely ban heavy. Our focus is more on teaching players the rules and allowing them to correct their own behaviour instead of slapping down bans on minor infractions. Your answer to question 14 worries me the most. It seems that regardless of the circumstances you would be intent on banning the player.

Also, you've racked up a few notes here, and some of which are quite recent. While they aren't exactly the worst of notes and haven't carried any real penalty, it shows a lack of the understanding about our ruleset that admin candidates should really possess.

Commando

Postby Commando » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:28 am #480537

Urytion wrote:I don't have much to say in specific instances on your questions, they all have the same issue: You seem to be extremely ban heavy. Our focus is more on teaching players the rules and allowing them to correct their own behaviour instead of slapping down bans on minor infractions. Your answer to question 14 worries me the most. It seems that regardless of the circumstances you would be intent on banning the player.

Also, you've racked up a few notes here, and some of which are quite recent. While they aren't exactly the worst of notes and haven't carried any real penalty, it shows a lack of the understanding about our ruleset that admin candidates should really possess.

Well I respect your opinion, but about me being extremely ban heavy, Out of the things I said I would give bans for, it was only for repeated/continuous behavior thats in violation of the rules. Now if the person has already been told time and time again to change their behavior and they still haven't then I think you've done your part trying to teach him and you've allowed them time to correct said behavior. The only other times I said I would ban was for things that resulted in the death of a fellow marine on purpose or without good escalation. As for question 14 I agree with you that I should be more nuanced with a situation like this. its just that from my understanding of the rules (4. The game is divided into factions. Cooperation is expected between members of the same faction and those outside of it are considered valid targets. And under escalation it says: Examples of non-fitting behavior: intent to kill a fellow marine (using guns, melee weapons or to keep attacking them after they’ve been downed and also Murders or executions are unlikely to be legitimate.) Thats why I said it would probably be a ban but that I also might let it slide under the right circumstances.

And as for the notes, well to be honest I hadn't read fully through the rules until recently but I've read over them 3 or 4 times now and haven't gotten a note since.

Thanks for your feedback Urytion.

Commando

Postby Commando » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:17 pm #480598

LaKiller8 wrote:
What rule would this fall under?

At first I would have said rules 2 and 3 but, it really does depend on the context of how he got the gear, and if hes just picking MT to fight xenos and not actually doing his job then it'd be a violation of rule 5. If hes running around stealing the gear off of marines then hes going too far. However lets say there was a threat and it has now subside and were back on green and he still has the gear I'd say its alright.

LaKiller8 wrote:Would you aheal without determining who's at fault or if it was perhaps valid in the first place right away?

I was taking the question at face value, I would always investigate a situation like this, but for the question I was assuming hes telling the truth that all the guy did was punch him/make rude remarks at him. Now, if a marine punches you or shit talks you it'd be proper escalation to throw a punch yourself but not to pull your shotty out and blow their head off.

LaKiller8 wrote:Would you note and ban the player even if you deemed it okay?

In this particular situation, the circumstances would have to be as follows for me not to ban/note this guy: First, He would have to be telling the truth that there really was no other spot on evac so that his IC reason for killing this guy is actually valid. Second, He should've ahelped first just to make sure he wasn't breaking the rules by killing the other player. This is just really hard one cause in the rules it says 99% of the time killing another marine isn't valid however, if hes telling the truth and I can validate that with the guy hes killed I'd let him slide for this specific situation seeing as killing a marine to get on evac and ensure your survival is a pretty good IC reason to kill another marine.

Commando

Postby Commando » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:15 pm #480605

LaKiller8 wrote:Wouldn't that feel a little too restrictive for the players? The best roleplay moments usually happen in the moment instead of being premedidated.

Yeah I guess you're right I just wouldn't want marines willy nilly killing eachother over evac spots, if it was RP'ed/escalated properly I wouldn't have a problem with it as it is a decent RP reason to kill someone to save your own life especially if its the last spot.

Commando

Postby Commando » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:51 pm #480974

Well, for the note I got about going ssd as queen I know I should’ve messaged an admin once I got back to let them know what happened. Every now and again my internet will kill itself for hours at a time so I apologize for that. And the one about meta rushing comms was half my fault because I hived in viro caves and tbh I didn’t know we literally had a hive built in tcomms when the marines landed. When I got the admin message telling me about it I immediately told
my Xenos to get out of tcomms and come back to me and I promised it wouldn’t happen again. As for naming myself queen bitch, I didn’t see the naming rules before I chose the name but I’m now very familiar with the rules and you won’t see a repeat of any of those notes. I think I would be able to enforce the rulset on this server fine(including Xenos).

Rohesie
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Rohesie

Postby Rohesie » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:57 pm #480975

Commando wrote:Have you ever recieved a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason: Never recieved a permanant ban from an ss13 server.

What about Yogstation?

Commando

Postby Commando » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:02 pm #480976

Ahh, Well if you look in my notes, my brother is on the ckey dmart1 and this used to be his computer and he gave it to me when he moved out. Color me suprised when I joined yog to find out I was immediately banned cause it was the same PC.

Commando

Postby Commando » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:09 pm #480979

I guess I should have brought that up but I didn't think it technically counted as me being perma'd somewhere cause my brother liked to fuck around in viro

Rohesie
TGMC Lead

Postby Rohesie » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:16 pm #481029

Did your brother have access to your account and shared your same IC name?

Commando

Postby Commando » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:35 pm #481037

He used my account a couple of times a few years ago, he really doesn’t have time to get on ss13 anymore. He would random name a lot and one of them was Leif woollard and I liked the name so I started using it around the time I started playing cm. I mean he got me into ss13 but really all he did was shit around in viro, i don’t intend on griefing like that at all on tgmc, and I haven’t since the server has been up. Tgmc is my favorite server on the hub and my favorite community, I’d hate to do anything that negatively effect the player base or the community.

Rohesie
TGMC Lead

Postby Rohesie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:35 am #481057

Has your brother not played in TGMC before? He had his own account, why did he use yours? Does he still have access to it?

Commando

Postby Commando » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:34 am #481105

No he hasn’t had access to it since I got on one day and saw I was banned from yog but that was a few years ago. Now only I use the pc and my password has been changed. We shared the pc for a bit as it was much better than the trash laptop I had so he just got on after I played and got banned. Never played yog again after that and started playing cm and tg a lot. He played tgmc like twice I think on his own account though.

Return to TGMC Closed Applications