SpicySalami - Administrator Application

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Admin, Game Server Operators, TGMC Game Server Operators, TGMC Administrator, TGMC Lead

dorph

Byond Username: SpicySalami

SpicySalami - Administrator Application

Postby dorph » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:14 am #501358

Current ckey and any previous ckeys:
SpicySalami
Character name(s):
Tula Talkan (human) Turbo (xeno)
Timezone:
GMT-4
Discord tag:
dorph#3925
Any previous experience administrating? Where and in what manner:
Nope.
How familiar are you with our ruleset: Pretty familiar
How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general: I've been playing S13 for a good year and a half now, and I've been playing TGMC (when it's up) on and off starting a month or so after it was started. (I think.)
Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months?: If so, what server, and for what reason:
Yep, I was using a slur to define myself in TGMC and argued with the admin about it in admin PMs. 1440 minutes. I stopped after that.
Have you ever received a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason:
Yeah. SCG Garrys Mod HL2RP. Item transferring. I got it appealed though.
Why do you believe that you would make a good admin?:
I genuinely want to see TGMC continue to do well. I don't think I'm gonna be amazing, but I want to run some events and minievents to get spice happening in normal rounds.
What's one aspect of how you play the game that you think you could improve on?:
I get salty as hell and I'm awful at melee combat outside of Ancient Runner (420) driveby tactics.
What standards do you personally hold players to? How should judgments on their actions be determined?:
I hold people to the basic standard that they aren't shitters. People should be decent to each other- but if someone has a long notes history of breaking rules or just being an asshole, I don't want to discriminate based on that. I know a lot of people who have really bad notes but are good people and just want everyone to have fun.
What is a good metric or standard to go by when doing admin events? What would you try to consider when doing an admin event? How often do you think you'd run admin events?
First thing I want to ask is, "is this gonna be fun to be a part of?" Next I want to ask, "how about the round in general? Would it take up the whole round's focus or would it be a little minievent?" Then, "is this easy to implement or it gonna be a bitch to run?" and "is it gonna be fun to watch for both me and dchat?" The main reason I'm making this app is so I can do events; I don't think we have enough. also someone told me to
What do you think you'll find most enjoyable about being an admin? What do you think you'll find least enjoyable?
My favorite thing will have to be making events, unless it turns out I hate them and burn out. Least enjoyable will have to be dealing with people who aren't just breaking rules but being awful about it.
No one admins forever. For what reason or how do you think you will stop adminning? Do you think you'll be able to call it quits when you've had enough?
I'll call it quits when I think I have too much going on, if I find I don't enjoy it, or if I get kicked out.

Please fill out the following example scenarios, put your answer on a separate line from the question:
Spoiler:
1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.
Hit him with a "hey, got a minute?" I'd ask him why he shot the guy. If there was an actual reason, I'd thank him for his time and leave him alone. If there wasn't, and there probably wasn't, I'd tell him he's a very bad boy and I'd note him for it. I'd check the logs to make sure he was telling the truth, of course. The guy who got shot gets an aheal if needed.
2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.
I'd poke a mentor about it. If there were no mentors on, I'd admin message them and ask them if it was their first time and if they needed some help.
3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.
I'd ask them to calm down and tell them they're not getting anywhere by being troublesome. If they don't calm down then I'll get a higher ranking staff for them and let them handle it. If there isn't one on, then they're stuck with me and I'll keep trying to resolve it.
4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.
I'd say hey
5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
No actual rule is being broken here, just SOP. Let the MPs handle it. If there's ever an MP around.
6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens (balance will change over time, just imagine a stalemate scenario according to the current meta). The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
If people who outrank me are alright with it, I'd make a Queen Mother objective to go up on the dropship to slaughter the dirty fleshy aliens on board; or I'd send in a high command announcement to tell the marines to deploy and wipe out the filthy insects messing up their colony. If marines didn't deploy, send in an MP ERT to sort 'em out.
7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.
Fucking with people is fine. Stealing their stuff is a no no! I'd message him and tell him to cut it out and give the stuff back. If he agrees I wouldn't note him because it's not an exactly malicious thing and a note can really hurt someone. If he doesn't, sleep him, let people take what they lost off of him, and ban him for the round.
8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.
I'd tell him that that's not how escalation works, link him the escalation rules, and note him. The guy who died would get an aheal.
9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.
I'm all for dark humor but since I have to enforce these LAME rules I'd zoom up to them invisible and tell them in LOOC to cut it out. If they didn't cut it out I'd note them and mute them for a while.
10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.
That's not nice. That's really not nice. Take his IP and perma him with a link to an appeal page, then aheal everyone who got ouchies.
11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.
They're probably new. I'd check their playtime and if they were, I'd message them explaining that that's not the best idea and hand them over to a mentor. If it turns out they were just a salty marine who died and wants to make xeno players suffer I'd hit em with a "What the fuck do you think you're doing?" and note + ban for a day. Larva suicide is no fun. If the Queen gave them the a-okay so they could try to sneak somewhere, sure, that's fine.
12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
I'd tell them to stop that. If they don't note them.
13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.
That's fine. Marines know about that.
14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.
This is a... grey area. I think they'd be fine but if the other person ahelps, the killer would get a note and a warning to look out for that kind of stuff because people are whiny.
15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.
I'd spawn a blank MP person, give them a retarded name, inhabit the body, go to the SL's prep, yoink him, and drag him into hypersleep. Then hypersleep the MP character too.
16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.
Tell them they're wrong in adminchat and hopefully they'll correct themselves.
17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.
I'd tell a lead privately. If it was one of the leads, then I'd go to the bossman of TG himself.
18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.
I'd tell them to stop. We're not about bashing others, nobody should be. If it happens again, mute OOC and gloat that I can still speak in OOC.
19. A player ahelps saying that they were instantly killed by another member of their squad. When you ask their squad member who shot them, they said that it was accidental friendly fire.
If the player has a long rap sheet of FFing intentionally then give them a day ban, a note, and aheal the guy who died. If there's none of that, tell the guy that your team mates killing you is just a feature, not a bug (TM).
Any additional information you want to provide:
I hope I'll do well if I get in. XOXO.

dorph

Re: SpicySalami - Administrator Application

Postby dorph » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:43 pm #501400

I'm completely fine with taking a more serious approach with rulebreakers. I want to be light-handed but I know that's not possible all the time.

LaKiller8 wrote: I understand where you're coming from and I fully agree, each note should be judged and taken into the appropriate context. Though this exact wording usually implies there is a systematic problem with the notes that creates a need for this.

There isn't a systematic problem with notes as long as they don't speak louder than the actions of the player. Past < Future

1. Proper reasons would be really rare. If the player who got detained was a hostile ERT from an event, sure. I can't think of anything else that would make it alright. On to him owo'ing me, I'd tell him that's degenerate, and should stop that. I wouldn't consider it a rule being broken, unless he kept doing it after I told him to stop. The whole "don't be a dick" rule applies.

4. (Sorry for cutting it off.) I'd say hey, sorry man, but things are different here. I'd ask him what he wanted it changed to, and if it was within reason, I'd change it to that. If he kept arguing or if he gave me another bad name, I'd just make his name something generic. Bob Good, Johnny 'Legs' Pazukhi, Claire Ribbley. Something.

7. Fucking with people is alright to the extent that you're not hurting anyone or annoying them to a great extent. If someone tells you to knock it off, knock it off.

9. I'd hope that other staff could get to this first and deal with it instead of me. If I had to though, I'd be alright with it. Wouldn't be a fan, but I'd do it.

11. Yes okay sorry.

12. That would be problematic. But I know TGMC admins aren't sparing with notes and I know that they'd note them for it. Of course if I saw them do it another time I'd note them.

15. Whew.

17. Don't bug MSO. Got it.

18. Yeah, I do. Sorry about that.

19. If the guy who FFed was being very defensive and hostile about it, then that would tell me that it was probably intentional over accidental. I'd note them and tell them to be more careful next time.

Rafar9

Byond Username: Rafar9

Postby Rafar9 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:21 pm #501421

dorph wrote:1. Proper reasons would be really rare. If the player who got detained was a hostile ERT from an event, sure. I can't think of anything else that would make it alright. On to him owo'ing me, I'd tell him that's degenerate, and should stop that. I wouldn't consider it a rule being broken, unless he kept doing it after I told him to stop. The whole "don't be a dick" rule applies.

Not sure I like the name-calling here. You are correct to invoke Rule 1 in this case, but the name-calling towards our player base is not something I really like to see from a prospective admin. Secondly, what if he doesn't stop and continues firing off similar comments in ahelp?

4. (Sorry for cutting it off.) I'd say hey, sorry man, but things are different here. I'd ask him what he wanted it changed to, and if it was within reason, I'd change it to that. If he kept arguing or if he gave me another bad name, I'd just make his name something generic. Bob Good, Johnny 'Legs' Pazukhi, Claire Ribbley. Something.

1. You wouldn't note this encounter considering they were being argumentative or rude?
2. What if the player simply changed it back the next round?

7. Fucking with people is alright to the extent that you're not hurting anyone or annoying them to a great extent. If someone tells you to knock it off, knock it off.

9. I'd hope that other staff could get to this first and deal with it instead of me. If I had to though, I'd be alright with it. Wouldn't be a fan, but I'd do it.
So if you personally don't agree with a rule you will just ignore the situation and hope someone else deals with it?

11. Yes okay sorry.

12. That would be problematic. But I know TGMC admins aren't sparing with notes and I know that they'd note them for it. Of course if I saw them do it another time I'd note them.

15. Whew.
Tis helpful isn't it?

17. Don't bug MSO. Got it.
Righto

18. Yeah, I do. Sorry about that.
As long as you understand that the power to regulate OOC is not the privilege to "gloat" using that power I think I can leave it at that.

19. If the guy who FFed was being very defensive and hostile about it, then that would tell me that it was probably intentional over accidental. I'd note them and tell them to be more careful next time.

So your criteria for determining who is at fault in such a delicate situation is simply who is more defensive? In addition would you investigate further then their notes, or simply leave it at that.

dorph

Postby dorph » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:28 am #501453

1. I didn't mean to say I'd call him a degenerate, just that what he said was degenerate. If he kept it up I'd just close his ahelp and note him for being disgusting in ahelp.

4. If he really did expect to be allowed to play as "Cooter Destroyer the Sixth" then there's no reason to note him. Not going to note someone for hurting my feelings. If he changes it back next round, he'd get a note to watch out for him with stupid names and a day ban.

9. No. That's not what I said at all. HOPEFULLY another admin will deal with it. I'll ask in adminchat if anyone's gonna deal with it. If nobody does, I will and I have no problem with that.

19. As much as I dislike using notes to judge a person, I would look over their notes history and see if he has a history of it. My criteria wouldn't be who is more defensive, but that would be a part of it. When people know they're in trouble they get defensive. That's how people work (I think.)

I don't get all this fancy forum formatting. Sorry.

dorph

Postby dorph » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:42 am #501512

LaKiller8 wrote: If you didn't call the player a bad boy, he likely wouldn't have played along. Wouldn't this feel like punishing him for something you provoked yourself?

No. He's the one who called me mommy and dared to owo at me. That's not okay. That's not cool.

LaKiller8 wrote: You tell him to change it but don't apply a note, then you have to leave next round and changes it back. Another admin tells him to change it but doesn't apply a note, he changes it back again the next round since that admin also had to leave. See the issue here?

I DO see the issue here, though. I guess a soft-handed approach to naming violation really doesn't work, does it?

Rafar9

Byond Username: Rafar9

Postby Rafar9 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:18 pm #501694

dorph wrote:
LaKiller8 wrote: If you didn't call the player a bad boy, he likely wouldn't have played along. Wouldn't this feel like punishing him for something you provoked yourself?

No. He's the one who called me mommy and dared to owo at me. That's not okay. That's not cool.

The problem here is the idea that players tend to take cues from the admins when addressing conduct/issues in ahelp. If you respond to a player with memes, it is likely they will respond in kind. In this case, you began with a somewhat memey response, in this case calling him a "bad boy", and escalated (whether intentional or not) the meme by telling him that his actions are that of a degenerate. Whether you meant to or not, you lead the player into the realm of memes, so noting him for responding in kind is not something the admins in general would like to see. Don't get me wrong, the player would still be at fault if they were at fault, but not for responding to an admin meme with their own meme.

LaKiller8 wrote: You tell him to change it but don't apply a note, then you have to leave next round and changes it back. Another admin tells him to change it but doesn't apply a note, he changes it back again the next round since that admin also had to leave. See the issue here?

I DO see the issue here, though. I guess a soft-handed approach to naming violation really doesn't work, does it?
It doesn't. In addition, leaving notes on this sort of situation, and really any administrative manner in general, can be extremely important, as it can snow ball into a mindset of "oh I can have X name, the admins will just bwoink me, talk for a minute and nothing will happen". If you notice a violation of the naming policy, it is your responsibility to ensure that it is changed, and that record is kept of it. Otherwise it is extremely difficult to enforce things of this nature.

dorph

Postby dorph » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:48 pm #501697

I see where I was wrong, then. I agree to take a less memey attitude towards adminhelps and to keep notes of when rules are broken. No problem.

Rohesie
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Rohesie

Postby Rohesie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:35 pm #501969

dorph wrote:

We did try your approach for a few months at the start of this project. It's an intuitive idea for someone unused to moderation, such as you are and we were. The result is that a lot of people would simply repeat the behavior and there would be no record of it, forcing admins to later on moderate based on memory, which is also less transparent and more prone to mistakes.

Just a little clarification.

Edit: All that said, after reviewing the app I get the feeling that there may be a bit of an incompatibility on what you are after and what we are as a project.

First things first: in general people enforcing the rules should be agreeing with them. Being forced to enforce things you don't believe are right can be taxing, and makes your work much more mechanical. We want admins to act out of their own initiative, and for the rules to be means, not ends in themselves. We shouldn't be applying rules just because they exist. Yet if we don't agree with them and we must do so, there's no other way.

This is not merely about Rule 1, it also likely applies to all of our RP rules. From what I see from you, you are not a malicious player, but you are one who prefers a lighter atmosphere, like Goon or /tg/ have. There's nothing wrong with that, but we are trying to take the project into a more serious RP environment route a bit, IC, and a more respectful one OOC. How'd you feel about that?

As for your events, I wonder if they'd fit in the tone we want to. We've changed a lot since the DMCA days, and I try for admins to be a bit more careful on non-ultra-lowpop events, to preserve the possibility of a RP atmosphere.
On your MP-spawning solution to deal with marines refusing to deploy, that stumbles upon two problems:
1) Players don't generally want to play as MPs, not the way we want them to (which is not by soft-griefing others).
2) The chances of such an event to trigger marine infighting as people refuse to deploy and MPs are forced to use force on them is very high. And that'd yield a lot of need for moderation and gray areas given it's an event.

Projects take different tones and it's impossible to please everyone. We are going after one that's less memey than it used to be. My big question is: do you think you'd fit in there, and would you enjoy that? Because there's a good risk of you finding it way too restrictive for your purposes.

dorph

Postby dorph » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:57 pm #503092

Hey, so. I'm sorry about my... very late reply. A lot of stuff happened in my life outside of the internet and it needed more attention. That sort of attention, I see, I really can't give to TGMC or any other server consistently enough to be in any sort of admin/mod capacity. I'm sorry for wasting your time, and once my life gets a little quieter, I'd love to re-apply- if my views line up with yours at that point. Thanks for your time.

Return to TGMC Closed Applications